Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

Selling out would be writing without reason just for money. If half of you who hate Green Day for that reason knew a damn thing about them, you’d understand why they write. Until then, you’ll continue just pulling shit out of your ass to prove a point with the wrong logic.

I say that all the time and could not agree more!!!

Who cares if they signed to a major label? Who cares if they are making music that appeals to the masses??

If they were doing that with only dollar signs in their eyes, then they would be sell outs.

But I KNOW that the music they make they have passion for and they believe in.

when they lose the passion and just keep making music to sell albums THEN they would be selling out!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, the connotation (meaning carried along with a word/phrase that isn't its actual definition) of selling out would be actually buying into the mainstream, with 2 houses, 17 "tricked-out" cars, and the high hotel expectations (I think it was J-Lo who requests a room in all white, with a full bowl of M&Ms but with one color picked out of the whole damn thing, a King size bed with a canopy, .. you get it, the whole nine yards). which they haven't completely done yet. .. what i mean is. they still consider themselves to be normal people and not as A list celebs.

I thought selling out was a good thing. I asked my brother one time what selling out means, and he said it literally means selling every single copy of an album or whatever.... you know... like... being sold out, and that's what I always thought it meant. So it seems like a good thing to me in a way, you know, a popular act and all. So what's this whole thing with selling out? :/

I was watching some footage about the pop disaster tour and Billie says something about them (GD & Blink) being the two biggest sellout bands of all time. So I guess if he calls themelves sellouts than they are!

Well, it seems to me that people who call Green day sellouts don't really grasp the meaning of the term. Selling out doesn't mean making a lot of money, it means throwing out your values and beliefs. If you stay to true to your artistic integrity and ethical values, you haven't sold out. It doesn't matter how much money you've made.

i totally agree with you. green day aren't sell outs. they've always stuck to their beleifs.

okay wel.. umm it not rele there fault if there that good at writing songs. and maybe if they do it for the money, there still smart. no one can come out with writing like that.

and why the fuck does everyone hate the "new" green day?? i mean they wanted to do something new. maybe they didnt feel like writing about masturbation anymore. maybe they wanted to open some peoples minds. and it worked. i think they did an absolute greeat job.

so anyone who dont like the new green day because there "popular", then stfu, because they were a underground band at a time. its not there fault everyone got into them. and i think its actually good, because they can let the world know whats going on. i mean half the people before they listened to green day, said "ohh punk music sucks!" "im not a goth!" "eww i dont want to listen to punk music. punks scare me." "punk/rock music iss soo boring, no meaning." and watch what there favorite music is now. punk and rock. and green day. thanks to green day, they helped the "american idiots" open there minds.

ya, i hate how now everyone wants to be a punk rocker, while it used to way different. and people dont know what the hell it is. they think its a fashion, and they can dress up like its halloween, but it means nothing. but, its really blinks fault for that, but now we have all these "emos" since american idiot. i was in here bitching about green day a few days ago, but ive thought it over, and its stupid. who really gives a shit? they still play great music, and have barely compromised their music, except a few songs, (blvd, wake me up, ect). so did they sell out? maybe yes, maybe no. only they know their motives.

I don't.

I don't believe in the phrase 'sell-outs'.

Green Day can do whatever the fuck they want, same as any other band/person.

I dont think they sold out. And even if they did, i wouldnt care...i love the music!

The voice of fucking sanity!

It's only rock'n'roll, but I like it! :)

And they didn't sell out. Just for the record.

I am the voice of sanity!....do you like the rolling stones?^

I like the older rolling stones from along time ago.

/quote]

Do I have sympathy for the Devil? You bet!

hahah^ dont start me up :D

I won't, if you get offa my cloud :)

Anyway - The Stones, man. Fucking love them - and they've sold out from day one! But then Mick always had children on several continents to support!

If you cant rock me :D .....this could be the last time :P i post!!

Maybe the last time...I don't know! :)

It should be!

D'you know, when I think of The Stones and Green Day in the same thread as it were, Green Day suddenly look like young innocent scamps.

It's like Little Green Riding Hood and the Big Old Bad Gnarly Wolves Who Rolled Up Your Mamma and Smoked Her Like Weed!

I thought selling out was a good thing. I asked my brother one time what selling out means, and he said it literally means selling every single copy of an album or whatever.... you know... like... being sold out, and that's what I always thought it meant. So it seems like a good thing to me in a way, you know, a popular act and all. So what's this whole thing with selling out? :/

wah? oh you're thinking of selling out of something. like you're in a store and ask for something but they sold the last one they say "sorry, we're sold out"

thats right. but in the wrong context.

woah! awesome song!

but on topic

..and cause I like Billy Joel...

Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk

It's still rock and roll to me.. :rolleyes:

:lol:

They haven't sold out exactly, but for some reason their music just appeals to a MUCH wider audience, whether that's down to good advertising, good PR, whatever. The whole world and his dog now knows the words to American Idiot, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Though it seems to be bad for the fans who were fans before AI and now see themselves as un-hardcore because they don't worship some cool underground band who no ones heard of anymore. I think, at times, it's great that Green Day are in the mainstream, finally we have been rid of (some) of the usual shit that graces our radios every day. Selling out? Nah, they've just written songs that the general public is for some reason more interested in. I mean, fuck, they've been going for 16 or so years now, they deserve to get famous at some point.

They haven't sold out exactly, but for some reason their music just appeals to a MUCH wider audience, whether that's down to good advertising, good PR, whatever. The whole world and his dog now knows the words to American Idiot, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Though it seems to be bad for the fans who were fans before AI and now see themselves as un-hardcore because they don't worship some cool underground band who no ones heard of anymore. I think, at times, it's great that Green Day are in the mainstream, finally we have been rid of (some) of the usual shit that graces our radios every day. Selling out? Nah, they've just written songs that the general public is for some reason more interested in. I mean, fuck, they've been going for 16 or so years now, they deserve to get famous at some point.

it appeals to a wider audience because MTV and Radio overplays them

I don't think Green Day ever sold out at all, they just so happen to kick more ass than everyone and people get jealous. But i think the main reason people think it though is because the sound is so different like possibly people assume they changed the sound so that the typical dumb ass would buy the album. *shurgs* I could be wrong but oh well, thats what I think

green day are who they are.

and no they arent sell outs. there just a successful band. like many bands were/are.

wow.

way to put it to the point. :thumbsup:

Archived