Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

add 16 years to your life and see if you do everything and believe everything you think you do right now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except they arent a punk band... they are a succesful rock band.

At the time they were a punk band.

Walshie

I beleve in Bullet in a Bible Billie Joe clearly explains the story line of this album. He says it isnt really about him, but its about places he has been in his life. So it really is about him and tre and mike too. That is actually personal experience. He didnt just say oh ok lets make up this story that means nothing to us so we can sell some records.

your original point was that AI couldn't have possibly been a commercially engineered record because it has a storyline, but you've completely failed to say why the fact that the album loosely follows a story has any relation to mainstream potential. the first four singles weren't even directly related to the storyline.

add 16 years to your life and see if you do everything and believe everything you think you do right now.

They did it after AI, its not like it was a slow and steady decline. They had stayed with what they had said all the way till the making of AI... then after, all of that left.

So it would be more accurate to say, add becoming really famous and see if you abandon what you stood for.

At the time they were a punk band.

Walshie

At what time?

and stop signing your name... we know you wrote it.

sorry dude. I still disagree. They might not be in order in the story line but they still tell a story on what he is feeling about a situation. The war, feeling very alone, and his dad. So in my eyes it still came from the heart regardless of how it fits in with the story.

your original point was that AI couldn't have possibly been a commercially engineered record because it has a storyline, but you've completely failed to say why the fact that the album loosely follows a story has any relation to mainstream potential. the first four singles weren't even directly related to the storyline.

yeah because they're singles.. they tried to fit them into being independent singles and it worked.. Floyd did the same with Hey You and Another Brick in The Wall singles (videos) and.. hey, haha you almost got me dragged into this too !

nice one heh

They did it after AI, its not like it was a slow and steady decline. They had stayed with what they had said all the way till the making of AI... then after, all of that left.

No they went against their original beliefs before dookie came out. you dont even make any sense.

sorry dude. I still disagree. They might not be in order in the story line but they still tell a story on what he is feeling about a situation. The war, feeling very alone, and his dad. So in my eyes it still came from the heart regardless of how it fits in with the story.

yet you're still not answering why that would discredit it's mainstream viability.

Meh, dont care.

Me neither, I am tired of disagreeing with my fellow fans. So I am done, but before I quit just remember:

It all is based on what each persons opinion of selling out is. I think the music industry is what it is. If people like you and buy your shit then you have to deal with a major label. I think most people in their shoes would have done the same thing they did.. If thats your opinion then they sold out. If your opinion on selling out is weather they write for themselves or for success then they havent sold out.

No they went against their original beliefs before dookie came out. you dont even make any sense.

They wanted to make their music for more people. After Ai they gave their songs away from commercials, stupid kiddy soundtracks, they started using set lists, they became part of the trend. Basically, completely commercialized themselves.

Guest Quietus

Please, they didnt have set-lists before and the world didnt end, they could not do set-lists again.. big deal if some 11 and 12 year olds dont get to hear their favorite AI songs, a lot of them wont be fans for much longer anyway. And the tuning thing, thats the dumbest arguement ever. He only uses 3 tunings, and one is very very rare (drop-d).. so he would need 3 guitars... which im sure he has (and many more), its not that hard. Theyre professional musicians, i think they can handle switching guitars.

Yes they didn't have set lists before, but that doesn't mean it was the best idea in the world. I am sure they could handle it, but it would be annoying to people who all heard different things, not even talking about AI songs or no AI songs. Tunning isn't the dumbest arguement ever. Sure they could handle switching guitars, but it's annoying and the show flows more if they can just play right on through. Sure, they won't break into a sweat at having to run off to get a new guitar, but it's a bit of annoying to have that pause in there.

Yes they didn't have set lists before, but that doesn't mean it was the best idea in the world. I am sure they could handle it, but it would be annoying to people who all heard different things, not even talking about AI songs or no AI songs. Tunning isn't the dumbest arguement ever. Sure they could handle switching guitars, but it's annoying and the show flows more if they can just play right on through. Sure, they won't break into a sweat at having to run off to get a new guitar, but it's a bit of annoying to have that pause in there.

you know what's slightly more annoying than that half second pause? seeing the same show multiple times. not that the pause would matter seeing as how they have to switch guitars even with a setlist. if they want to use a setlist for a whole tour, that's fine, but if they're going to be playing the same city multiple times (sometimes a year apart, like in vancouver), they can at least throw in some changes.

That pause? a guitar tech, comes out and gives it to him, he could keep the show going by talking and all that while he switches guitars, and anyway, its like a 3 second pause to switch guitars, if that bothers you at a show.. then theres something wrong.

Oi I hate this topic.

They sold out and they didn't. They didn't purposely explode into this HUGE thing, they just made their music and the public loved it. They're good at what they do, they can't help it. BUt they did sort of sell out their look.

look this has been done to death.

who cares if green day sold out. i dont. green day as hell sure dont. so why dont everyone just give it a rest about this "sell out" crap.

please.

Green day makes music just like every other musican/band... who gives to fucks about selling out if there still making records.

look this has been done to death.

who cares if green day sold out. i dont. green day as hell sure dont. so why dont everyone just give it a rest about this "sell out" crap.

please.

Green day makes music just like every other musican/band... who gives to fucks about selling out if there still making records.

Mr Owner Andres says:

Alrighty, well i know this convo is never ending, but it is fun occasionally. And since I hold the 'Jesus' title I'm able to start threads like this.

My view on bands 'selling out' is that if band has always said 'We wanna be big, we want the world to hear us etc' and they make it, then no, they didn't sell out, they just achieved what they always wanted. Wheras if a band goes 'No, we won't sell out, we don't wanna be big' and then go sign to a major and get big, I think then, they sold out. Does that make sense?

Green day always said they wanted to go far, so I don't think they sold out, I just think they achieved their dream.

It's the bands that claim to be against the industry and then join it that sold out, because they 'sold out' on their principles.

This theory makes sense in my head.

selling out (v.)- to change one's music, image or values and ideas in order to make money

I just made that up, but its true. Green Day DID NOT change anything about their music or themselves. They made good music, which made everyone want to buy their cds. SO YEAH

Guest Quietus

That pause? a guitar tech, comes out and gives it to him, he could keep the show going by talking and all that while he switches guitars, and anyway, its like a 3 second pause to switch guitars, if that bothers you at a show.. then theres something wrong.

Okay at the last AI concert I went to, that's not how it worked. He ran backstage for a few minutes everytime he switched the guitars. And if you're going to keep bitching about how you know so much more about music to a complete stranger on a forum, then there's something even more wrong with you.

Okay at the last AI concert I went to, that's not how it worked. He ran backstage for a few minutes everytime he switched the guitars. And if you're going to keep bitching about how you know so much more about music to a complete stranger on a forum, then there's something even more wrong with you.

It takes two to tango.

I think that everyone in the whole world (including myself) sold out. Think about it we have all had to change our ways did become a member of society. We had to stop crawling or rolling around on the floor and had to walk so we could actually venture out into this scary world of ours. And when we get older we have to give in and become another mindless robot in the corporate machine to make money and to get by.

Archived