Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

yes, GC, simple plan, and NFG were all on VH1 and MTV before AI came out.

They only have music in the moring or very late, but whenever I've turned it on it was nothing but hip hop

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They only have music in the moring or very late, but whenever I've turned it on it was nothing but hip hop

then dont watch it. you know, hip hop fans would complain too if there was only "rock" music on there. it's the same thing.

then dont watch it. you know, hip hop fans would complain too if there was only "rock" music on there. it's the same thing.

I don't watch it! Didn't I just say I don't even have cable... :D

I don't watch it! Didn't I just say I don't even have cable... :D

then how do you know what's on it?

then how do you know what's on it?

How do you know either? You just said you dont watch them now nor did you watch it then. Well I do and I did and I am telling you it is more true than not. If you don't know about something then quit arguing about it.

What the fuck. The way he decides to raise his children is none of your buisness. Nor do you know what he does behind closed doors. From my knowledge, he doesn't swear infront of his children and he stopped doing drungs and drinking for a while, concerts aside. If I were in that position, I would explin why daddy swears, kisses dudes and touches himself during concerts.

And again with the people pulling shit from years ago. DUI, fuck, one mistake he made and now we got an angery mom flaming billie over the internet.

I actually think all three are good fathers. Being a rock star, and a dad is a hard thing. They do much better than about 90% of other stars. So i wouldn't be so harsh on them.

And now, points to back up my views.

-billie has said and I quote "what's the point of being a successful musician if you have nobody to share it with"

-"im trying to keep up my end of the bargen"

-"i don't swear infront of my son" (again, concerts aside, thats different)

-"i'd rather be the kind of station wagen parent"

-"i dont feed my kids fast food"

- talking about nature and it's power "Yea, there's nothing more humbling than the ocean. Even seeing my kids out in the water, wherever we are, it's like here's this tiny speck of human life, and there's this giant enormous ocean, not even a gun can puncture something like that."

And I shall stop now because that made me look very obbsessive.

Who is flaming Billie all over the internet? I am not an angry mom at all. I love Green Day and especially Billie Joe. Someone was talking about his values and I was answering to that person. How he chooses to raise his kids is his business. I am entitiled to my opinion based on what I see. I am not denying that he appears to do a lot of things rightby what he says. Actions speak louder than words my dear. But I am not there everyday in his life so I have no idea what goes on. I just know when I see his kids at his concerts, with him behaving the way he does, I cant help but think about his kids. Then to hear him answer when asked about it by saying I don't know what my kids think because we dont talk about it. It jus bugged me. Besides, I am sure at 13 you are very knowledgeable about raising kids.

yes, and thats not who they used to be. they didnt wanna be the biggest band in the world. they said they just wanted to write music FOR THEMSELVES. I think they kinda sold out to punk rock, i guess is what im saying.

Ah-ha open oppertunity...

Okay, most of you (hopfullly) now the 15 mil. selling album dookie right.

Well, let me tell you something, since many of you are so into hanging on his every single word.

Billie Joe, on ultamite albums :dookie, said that he, wanted dookie to be one of the biggest albums of all time. *le gasp*

I've heard people constantly bitching about the success of A.I and how they changed their sound and writing styles so it could sell more, which obviosly isn't true but, he people are arrogant, stay with me.

So if that applies to american idiot, can't it apply to doookie, did billie write songs about materbation and pot, so it could sell? Hmmh...

Let us ponder this for awhile.

How do you know either? You just said you dont watch them now nor did you watch it then. Well I do and I did and I am telling you it is more true than not. If you don't know about something then quit arguing about it.

Who is flaming Billie all over the internet? Someone was talking about his values and I was answering to that person. How he chooses to raise his kids is his business. I am entitiled to my opinion based on what I see. I am not denying that he appears to do a lot of things right. Besides, I am sure at 13 you are very knowledgeable about raising kids.

I knew you were gonna do that. I respect you as a mom. But from what I see around me, he is doing a lot of things right, better than most parents I know, so leave me and my minimal life experience alone.

I knew you were gonna do that. I respect you as a mom. But from what I see around me, he is doing a lot of things right, better than most parents I know, so leave me and my minimal life experience alone.

Fair enough. :blush:

The majority of Insomniac is about selling your soul, with Billie Joe complaining that he'd been rejected by the punk community, in which he was a keen follower, following signing to Reprise.

They had gone against the core beliefs that they and the punk community believed in, therefore can be accused of selling out.

If you watched any type of music television back then you would know that it is more close to being true than not.

Back then? it was like a year and a half ago.. and yeah, i watched tv back then, and theres were tons of other bands on at the time... and apperantly, none of the other people in here watch tv, so i dont really know how they can talk, i watch fuse and mtv (fuse more) all the time.. and from when i watched, i know that there were other rock bands on all the time when AI came out.

Okay, come on already. We've had the set-list argument three million times. Yes the same show is boring, but if you think about it, if they do different songs at every show, people will be pissed. "Oh my god they played Christie Road last week and not at my concert! That's retarded!" I can just imagine of how many threads of those we would have should they not have a set list. Remember when they played All By Myself at one show? It was a topic of discussion for days here. A set list is the most logical thing to do to make sure everyone is treated equally. And honestly, a set list makes sense with the music part of it, so they know what tunning they need etc before the show starts. A lot of their songs are tunned to different pitches (sometimes they go a half step down, somethimes they don't) and I doubt people want to wait five minutes while they tune in between songs.

Please, they didnt have set-lists before and the world didnt end, they could not do set-lists again.. big deal if some 11 and 12 year olds dont get to hear their favorite AI songs, a lot of them wont be fans for much longer anyway. And the tuning thing, thats the dumbest arguement ever. He only uses 3 tunings, and one is very very rare (drop-d).. so he would need 3 guitars... which im sure he has (and many more), its not that hard. Theyre professional musicians, i think they can handle switching guitars.

Personally, I could not care less if Green Day sold out or not. If I like the music, I'm going to listen to it regardless.

They didn't sellout. They are 30 something year olds who rock hard. Yeah, 'punk' is in right now, but I hope you realize that all you people who only knew Green Day from American Idiot, would not even know Green Day if it wasn't for that album.

They stepped out & worked their hardest. And because of that hard work, they became famous. Get over it.

Honestly, if you were in Green Day's shoes, do you think you'd care you were famous?

I'm so sick and tired of having to defend Green Day on a Green Day forum!!!

:thumbsup:

Because that clearly shows me that it was written from the heart, (like every other album they have done) and not just for someone else.

huh? if anything, wouldn't an album written about a completely fictional scenario have less personal meaning than one written about personal experiences?

Yes they sold out long ago, sold out every cd in the store and ever seat in the stadium, would I have my fav band to be any other way? No.

Do I want them to keep selling out? Hell yes.

What does sell out mean? It means successful and rich cause they're worth it.

Seriously (and this is coming from someone who actually isn't a big Green Day fan), if you're here to bash the band you're seriously wasting your time. I mean, seriously. I can understand going on a band's forum to chat about other music or things, even if you're not a big fan of the band, but why would you go out of your way to bring people down who like their music. That to me is childish and mean. Have Green Day "sold out", yeah, I guess they have truthfully, as have a lot of other artists! And don't even get me started on the rappers. Just take a look around and see how many artists's songs are used in commercials, or have their own merchandise, or advertise for sponsors. Basically if you're popular, you appear places. I mean if you hate Green Day fine, like I said I'm not the biggest fan in the world and really only like a few songs from A.I., but keep it to yourself or leave, IMO, because I'm sure it really hurts some kids' feelings to like a band, come on their messageboard to discuss things, and have people tell them what they 'should' and 'shouldn't' be listening to.

huh? if anything, wouldn't an album written about a completely fictional scenario have less personal meaning than one written about personal experiences?

I beleve in Bullet in a Bible Billie Joe clearly explains the story line of this album. He says it isnt really about him, but its about places he has been in his life. So it really is about him and tre and mike too. That is actually personal experience. He didnt just say oh ok lets make up this story that means nothing to us so we can sell some records.

I won't waste typing power explaining stuff we all know he knows and convinced with.. you people are so dumb and he's so successful into dragging you into shit heh

actually never mind, you ppl deserve it

carry on mcboy heh

I dont think they sold out. They have talent so people were bound to by the records! Of course they want to make money to make the best of their career but that doesnt mean they sold out.

Seriously (and this is coming from someone who actually isn't a big Green Day fan), if you're here to bash the band you're seriously wasting your time. I mean, seriously. I can understand going on a band's forum to chat about other music or things, even if you're not a big fan of the band, but why would you go out of your way to bring people down who like their music. That to me is childish and mean. Have Green Day "sold out", yeah, I guess they have truthfully, as have a lot of other artists! And don't even get me started on the rappers. Just take a look around and see how many artists's songs are used in commercials, or have their own merchandise, or advertise for sponsors. Basically if you're popular, you appear places. I mean if you hate Green Day fine, like I said I'm not the biggest fan in the world and really only like a few songs from A.I., but keep it to yourself or leave, IMO, because I'm sure it really hurts some kids' feelings to like a band, come on their messageboard to discuss things, and have people tell them what they 'should' and 'shouldn't' be listening to.

No one was really bashing green day, just explaining their opinion on whether or not they think they have sold out. But [basically] everyone on here likes and listens to green day, its just some feel they have sold out, myself included.

In my opinion they had to make that extra step. They were college drop-outs so why not its some people begrudge them some fame just because they are a successful punk band.

Walshie

i think people who work so much, make and play so cool music simply deserved rich and happy life.

and who says that GD sold out are stupid and maybe they (these people) have never been in poor :verymad:

I dont think they sold out. They have talent so people were bound to by the records! Of course they want to make money to make the best of their career but that doesnt mean they sold out.

You obviously dont understand, had they not said some of the things they did in the past, and not done some of the things they did, then what they are doing now would not mean anything, just that they are trying to make the best of their career. But they did say things, and they said they stood for some things, and what they have done after the release of AI goes against many things they said they stood for. So its true, they are making the best of their career, but by abandoning many of their beliefs and stances on many issues.

In my opinion they had to make that extra step. They were college drop-outs so why not its some people begrudge them some fame just because they are a successful punk band.

Walshie

Except they arent a punk band... they are a succesful rock band.

Archived