When did Green Day mention Cigarettes & Valentines for the first time?

Dysfunco

There's tons of different threads about C&V obviously, but I have a very specific question about something I've been wondering for quite some time now. And that is: do anyone know when Green Day actually acknowledged Cigarettes & Valentines as a thing, by that very name? And a link or something that proves it would be even better...

These days, we just kind of take it for granted that the supposedly disappeared album that never was is referred to as Cigarettes & Valentines. But what's the source, exactly? And when exactly (if ever), did the band themselves mention the album name as such?

A interview where someone brings it up, and the band simply "plays along", doesn't really count. I specifically mean when the band refers to it as Cigarettes & Valentines themselves, without anyone else mentioning the lost record by that title first.

(I've previously posted this on Reddit but thought perhaps there might people with other insights on here).

Edited by Dysfunco

Sometime in 2005 if I remember right. During 2004 interviews (for example the 2004 interview which appeared in Rock Band in the following years) it's being mentioned that the masters are stolen etc but there's no naming it as Cigarettes and Valentines.

But starting from 2005 (although I can't find the link at the moment) Cigarettes and Valentines name pop up and also appears in the Marc Spitz Book released in 2006 which was an authorized book by the band. 

1 hour ago, Dysfunco said:

There's tons of different threads about C&V obviously, but I have a very specific question about something I've been wondering for quite some time now. And that is: do anyone know when Green Day actually acknowledged Cigarettes & Valentines as a thing, by that very name? And a link or something that proves it would be even better...

These days, we just kind of take it for granted that the supposedly disappeared album that never was is referred to as Cigarettes & Valentines. But what's the source, exactly? And when exactly (if ever), did the band themselves mention the album name as such?

A interview where someone brings it up, and the band simply "plays along", doesn't really count. I specifically mean when the band refers to it as Cigarettes & Valentines themselves, without anyone else mentioning the lost record by that title first.

(I've previously posted this on Reddit but thought perhaps there might people with other insights on here).

this doesn't say it by name but I'm gonna go through my tapes and see if any earlier than this in sept 2004 and magazines and radio interviews. I believe they talked about it on Kevin and bean radio show the morning if release too also there was a much music from 2004 or 05 when a kid asked it about by name and about american idiot bsides

Spent some time reading the magazine articles on this page https://web.archive.org/web/20060323050257/http://www.greendayauthority.com/TheBand/articles.php

NME June 13th 2005 is the first one that calls it by name. It's a list of trivia, not an interview, so it's not the first source, but the answer won't be any later than that.

edit: actually Q Magazine May 2005 calls it C&V. This one is an interview, but doesn't quite put the words "Cigarettes and Valentines" in a quotation from any band member's mouth. Hard to judge.

Plenty of articles before this mention the story but none call it by name.

Alternative Press Oct 2004 is the first one (listed on this page) that mentions there was a stolen album, on page 6. It's also one of the first articles of the AI era (listed on this page) to begin with. In Kerrang Jan 2003 there's talk about an album they're working on but it's not clear to me whether that's C&V or AI.

None of this answers the question but hopefully gives a timeframe. Even articles also from May that mention the story don't call it C&V so I'm thinking it's right around then.