What does American Idiot mean to you? Share your story

solongfromthestars

b3e5631756fe2ac6372fbc5f7226bbed69862feb

As we all know, American Idiot turns 20 this year. This album means a lot to the fans – many will even say it changed their lives – and hearing it live in full is an emotional experience.  @The Grohl suggested writing a commemorative article for the 20th anniversary and we want to celebrate how it’s impacted all of us, the fans.

Share your story in this thread and if you want to be featured in the GDA article, please share your first name/alias and country or state. If you feel comfortable sharing your age, please include that too so readers can see how this album has impacted people of all ages, from all walks of life. If you don’t want to post your story in the thread, you can send it to a member of the GDA staff in a PM or on Instagram or Tumblr.

You’re also welcome to share your story in this thread even if you don’t want to be included in the GDA article.

The deadline to be featured in the GDA article is 10 September 2024.

Of course, you can share your story in the thread whenever you want, but it won't be included in the GDA article if you submit it after 10 September.

There are no other rules or requirements. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been a fan or whether or not you’ve heard American Idiot live.

If you’re not sure where to start, here are some questions you could answer:

• What does American Idiot mean to you?
  • Was American Idiot the album that introduced you to Green Day? Has your life changed since then?
  • Is American Idiot your favourite album?
  • Do you remember the first song you heard?
  • Do you remember buying the CD or holding it for the first time?
  • Were you already a fan when the album came out? Did it change your feelings about Green Day at all?
  • Did you see Green Day on the American Idiot Tour?
  • If you've heard American Idiot live in full, how did you feel?
  • Have you made any fanart inspired by American Idiot? Share it!
  • Are there any photos you want to share, like a photo of yourself at a show or holding the CD?

These are just examples. You don’t have to mention any of these things; you can talk about anything related to American Idiot.

I'll have to come back later with my own story, but if no-one else has shared theirs by then, I'll get things started :)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

X-posted from Insta: 

I actually heard Bullet In A Bible before I heard American Idiot. I'm fairly sure my mum was trying to buy me the latter and ended up getting mixed up. I was 13 at the time. The sheer raw power of Billie's voice, and the energy of the music and the crowd just captivated me and blew me away. I listened to it over and over again to the point where when I finally heard the studio version I was adding in the call-and-response crowd interactions. 

I didn’t get to see the AI world tour because my parents said 13 was too young (first time I saw them was 2009 after 21st CB). BUT since then I have been lucky enough to see them 7 times, including the Saviors Tour where I heard AI played in full. It was super emotional, it's a fantastic album from start to finish, I adore it. The songs I love to hear most are (aside from all of them) 'Are We The Waiting', 'Letterbomb' and 'Whatsername.' The opening line of AWTW has always tugged at my heartstrings since I first heard it as a teenager; "Starry Nights, City Lights, coming down over me//Skyscrapers, Stargazers in my head" It's just so beautiful and transports me to a starlit drenched city street at night, walking hand in hand with a friend or a lover, just shooting the shit with nowhere to be, and no pressures on your head other than enjoying that blissful moment. It's beautiful. 

When I heard Whatsername live in June '24 (I think for the first time), I cried. Billie's voice over that melody, singing about lost love. Urgh, I just love it. 

Anyway. I love it, the album is incredible. And I can't wait until I can see them live again. 

Bryony, 30, Lancashire, UK.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Not sure this story is worthy of a feature LOL, but I will share it anyway. I am a 33-year-old woman, and American Idiot is the album that introduced me to Green Day. I first became aware of Green Day when I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams for the first time on the radio. It was like nothing I had ever heard before. I was beginning to become politically aware and was feeling frustrated with the world like a lot of kids of my generation; I was also growing up in a dysfunctional home that was sliding into poverty. The song, and pretty soon the whole album, put everything I was feeling into words. I wanted to hear everything Green Day ever made at the point, and eventually I did. But then I grew up, went off to college and then a master's program, faced more disasters in my family, and eventually found myself lost on the path I had pursued. While my love for Green Day never went away, it was much farther from my mind during those years. I found my way back to Green Day shortly before the start of the pandemic. I finally had made a decision to get off the path I was on and pursue what was in my heart, and as part of that, I ended up pulling out American Idiot again. This was also during the lead-up to FOAM, so I soon found myself going full bore down the fandom rabbit hole again. My passion for Green Day helped sustain me through the pandemic, through my father's open heart surgery, and into my dream PhD program, which I am now halfway through. Green Day aided my healing journey, and I am now happier than I have ever been and living the life I always wanted. And it all started with American Idiot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My name is Charlie, and I live in Pennsylvania, United States.

I started my obsession with Green Day just after the 'Saviors' album came out, so around March of this year. I instantly was enthralled by Green Day. I've listened to most of their albums and discography, but my favourite? 'American Idiot' of course!L istening to their album almost made me cry, I'm neurodivergent and it instantly became my new obsession. I LOVE it. I LOVE the album. I will never get over it, if I'm honest.

The first song from 'American Idiot' that I heard was 'Wake Me Up When September Ends', and although it isn't my favourite song from the album, it still holds a place in my heart for being the song that made me curious. Though my favourite song from the album is 'She's a Rebel' which has become a guilty pleasure to listen to. 

Sadly I don't have a CD, or a commemorative piece or merchandise for Green Day (Though my birthday is the 21st, so as of writing I'm hoping things change?) But I do have a pure and unadulterated love for Green Day, and nothing is gonna change that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Hi, my name is Gwendolyn. 31 years old from the good ol' US of A.

I wasn’t a capital-F Fan until 21st Century Breakdown came out but in 2004/5 there was no escaping American Idiot. What follows is a scattershot diary. I was at lunch in 5th grade when my friend Armon said “Did you guys see Green Day on TV last night? They went *he imitates playing guitar* and said Fuck America!” “Yeah, it was awesome” said whatshisface. Five years later after becoming a Fan I remember playing Jesus of Suburbia on repeat wondering how the hell I’m going to memorize the lyrics to a nine minute song suite before seeing them live for the first time. After getting all their albums on CD I remember leafing through the album booklet admiring all the little doodles around the lyrics. When Green Day: Rock Band comes out I remember the joy of screaming like a maniac to the Rock n’ Roll Girlfriend section of Homecoming and being told to quiet down by my parents. I still remember seeing the musical version of American Idiot at the Saint James Theater in New York and explaining the basic outlines of the story to my mom’s friend and her daughter who were going with us. I remember meeting Billie Joe’s nephew Andrew after seeing it in Kansas City. When I’m in college St. Jimmy becomes my “I’m gonna take a shot” song. I visit home and know the drive so well that I can time my drive so I reach home during the “we’re coming home again” section of Homecoming. A home that isn’t my family’s home anymore. I’m visiting Austin to see Green Day with my friend, coming out of the shity hotel we’ve picked for the night. Huh, it’s on East 12th Street. When I’m needing courage to come out to my dying grandmother I reach for something within myself and what I pull out is “There’s nothing wrong with me, this is how I’m supposed to be”. I’ll be going with my younger sisters in two days to see the album performed in full.

American Idiot captured the zeitgeist, was instantly iconic, provocative, and relatable. A cathartic hero’s journey for every bored suburbanite. The fact that it worked is insane. A rock opera made by the 30 something year old punks who were last seen on a double bill with one of their younger imitators, dangerously close to being washed up. The Dixie Chicks got canceled for saying they were ashamed that Bush was from Texas. Green Day called him a nazi and got away with it. It was a clarion call and a rallying point against the frighteningly toxic nationalism of the War on Terror era. I’d like to point out how absurdly improbable it is not only to have a huge rock mega-hit on the scale of Dookie, but to do it again but bigger and more bold. No second act in American lives? Take that F. Scott Fitzgerald. When was the last time a rock album did such a thing?

This is such a good take, especially about what a comeback story that album represents. I forgot to mention that I am in the U.S. too. That album did such a good job of capturing the state of society at that time, and it (unfortunately) feels even more relevant today.

• Like 3

I don't have all my thoughts organized (that'll be for the GDA feature) but this album means a lot to me. Like many others, it's the one that made me a Green Day fan. In high school, my friend had been begging me to listen to Green Day. One day after school he put on American Idiot and we listened to it together on the school lawn. And that's all it took. What really sold me on Green Day was a TV performance they did, probably the Grammys. The next day I went to Circuit City and picked up American Idiot (along with Maroon 5's Songs About Jane) with my allowance. And the rest is history. For me it's one of those right place, right time albums. I was a sophomore in high school and at that ripe age of "rebellion." Fine I didn't really rebel too much, but I did become more outspoken, questioning of authority, and becoming disillusioned with the world. And American Idiot fed into that. It was so empowering to listen to this music that encouraged me to question things and stand up for myself. Aside from that, it was just good!

Everything from the songwriting to the imagery to the concept itself blew me away. It didn't feel or sound like anything else I was listening to at the time. I was so impressed with Green Day's range. They had boot stomping, let's tear shit up anthems like "Holiday" and "St. Jimmy" but they also had these gentle, sweet, and vulnerable songs like "Give Me Novocaine" and "WMUWSE." I thought it was so cool that it inspired me to pick up guitar. I'd been obsessed with the instrument growing up and after listening to Green Day I was like I can do this! Why not? I went to work learning a lot of songs that year, but my proudest moment was when I learned how to play "JoS." I started with AI and worked backward from there. Soon I picked up Dookie, then ISH, and kept going until Green Day became my new obsession. 

American Idiot is an album that made me feel like I could do anything. I didn't have to be a passive player in life. I could stand up for myself and my beliefs. I could be outspoken, creative, and curious. And watching it performed live last week made me realize I've been listening and loving this band for 20 years. Holy shit! And I'm thrilled to know that when I play AI now it still hits me the same way it did when I first heard it 20 (!!) years ago.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I remember hearing WMUWSE at my primary school disco in 2005 at 9 years old. My knowledge of music at that time consisted of music my parents listened to (classical and church music, and occasional Simon & Garfunkel). I remember thinking how magnificent and melodic Green Day sounded and I was really surprised that ‘heavier’ music existed. 

It wasn’t until late 2007 I got into Green Day properly and became captivated. They spoke to me in a way no other music ever had and all the emotional trauma I had ben dealing with at that time became a little easier because of Green Day. 

In 2010, I begged my mum to let me paint my bedroom like the Jesus of Suburbia music video and she let me, provided I kept it restricted to my room. It took 2 weeks in the summer holidays and it became my masterpiece. I cut up sponges to carefully create the white rectangles for each letter and cut out stencils (which I still have) out of paper. I couldn’t order spray paint online as I was under 18 so I had to go with my mum to a shop and buy the spray paint. I was meticulous and insisted the colours had to be the perfect red and pure black. My bedroom became somewhere I could hide - a safe haven. It was my own place where I could be myself in a world that didn’t understand. 

Every night from 2008 - 2011 when I came home from school, I would watch Bullet In A Bible on my tiny pink tv (which we then switched for a silver one when I re-did my room) and dream of seeing or meeting my heroes. I would finish watching it and then restart it so the show wouldn’t have ‘ended’ and then pause it right before Longview. It was a coping ritual and Green Day helped me in ways I don’t think I’ll ever be able to properly explain. They saved my life. 

I’ve seen Green Day 15 times since then and every time is different. I’ve had the opportunity to met Billie Joe and Mike twice and Tre three times; I got to talk and joke with them and now their autographs are complete on my arm. Seeing American Idiot in full on the Saviors tour was like a religious experience; AI was on repeat when I first got into them (so much so that the CD is super scratched now) and hearing all the songs live was such a beautiful and cathartic experience.

My life has changed so much since then, and Green Day helped me through it. I didn’t think I would live this long and I’m here. I’m still breathing. 

~ Maria, 29, Wiltshire, UK.

(Cross posted from Instagram)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I got to know Greena Day in 2010, 21st CB era. I became a fan upon knowing only Holiday, American Idiot, Know Your Enemy, 21 Guns. I remember listening Holiday on repeat, loved this song so much. Shortly afterward I downloaded GD discography (the whole craziness started).

There is not a single AI song that I dont like. The album is just a milestone, an instant classic... 

But the thing it's not about the songs only. It's a about the game-changing image, fashion - new hairstyle, Billies eyeliner, suit and red tie. AI it's not just an album. it's a perfec multilayered project. No wonder so many people got into it.

• Love 1

Ill try to simplify it as much as I can xD

In the summer of ‘02 I moved houses and basically spent the entire time on kid friendly internet chats and forums where kids debated GD Vs Blink all summer long. I knew of Green Day briefly but was more interested in prog rock and classic rock and 70s punk at the time. I did listen to some Sum 41 and Jimmy Eat World at the time though so I had a reference point.

2 years later, I’m 12 studying multiple instruments but can’t seem to find a modern band that is my own that I can look up to and then the AI music video is on while I flip on my TV. My jaw dropped and I stood there completely shook.

I go back into my comfort zone and 2 months later I hear BOBD on TV again and oh shit it’s these guys again! Holiday comes out and where I camped in the summer it was played during dances and it became a ritual for all of us there. Wake me up when september ends dropped and I heard it during a hurricane katrina tribute and I bought the album. 

Then I land on JOS and Bullet in a Bible. It just got incrementally more influential. My friends had older siblings and they introduced me to Dookie. Burnout made me flip shit (for all the right reasons). Then I got Intl Superhits. Then I got into Kerplunk and 39 smooth via online fansites and the pinole valley show. 

In that time I also saw VH1 storytellers, AOL sessions and many many other features of Green Day whether it was the grammys or some local show etc.

It just got incrementally better and better the more I worked backwards and at the same time my playing became better and it gave me a reference point to become a creative musician. 

For me they were the perfect mix of that modern influence I needed, punk rock and classic rock. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reminder that there are only 3 days left to share your story!

So far we've only got two pictures, so if you've got fanart, tattoos or anything else like that to share, please do :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you @solongfromthestars for compiling these testimonials. Such a beautiful homage to American Idiot, and I love reading other people's stories.

Spoiler

Also, I've started toying with the idea of getting an AI themed tattoo early next year (to commemorate my 20th year anniversary with that album). I'm a tattoo virgin, and I have two ideas in mind: an overly minimalist one and an overly complicated - I should try to sketch that one to see if it's even feasible and try to come up with a simplification for it. :ninja:

• Like 1
  • Love 2