American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Jon Benjamin

21 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Sterling Sound and other studios arent going to talk about stuff like that to strangers 

What John posted looked like a in office reference disc they aren’t usually cataloged as they’re just for certain employees of the label/artists 

SO you think they were lying about not knowing of its existence? interesting. It makes me wonder if the guy I talked to was actually looking for any copies or if he was asking his boss if it was ok to talk about it. Never thought about it that way, Good point Tim! now you gave me another reason to have theory's swirling around in my head tonight LMAO 

Also, I think Radio Baghdad is gonna be a cover of the Patti Smith song of the same name since American Idiot and Radio Baghdad both came out in 2004. A more punk cover maybe???

• Like 2
  • Love 1

if the john r cd is real i think it still might not include all the songs from C&V, so that could explain that we didn't know about the existence of everyone's breaking down, just another year and lowlife.

my other theory is that maybe these songs were written for american idiot and got scrapped at the last minute, meaning that they relate to the story and have lore that we've never heard before. 

for me that's really exciting !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Banjodewulf said:

SO you think they were lying about not knowing of its existence? interesting. It makes me wonder if the guy I talked to was actually looking for any copies or if he was asking his boss if it was ok to talk about it. Never thought about it that way, Good point Tim! now you gave me another reason to have theory's swirling around in my head tonight LMAO 

Also, I think Radio Baghdad is gonna be a cover of the Patti Smith song of the same name since American Idiot and Radio Baghdad both came out in 2004. A more punk cover maybe???

It was the original name of Extraordinary Girl

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rx72 said:

my other theory is that maybe these songs were written for american idiot and got scrapped at the last minute, meaning that they relate to the story and have lore that we've never heard before. 

That would be the most exciting thing that could happen. Can you imagine?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I see $69.98 on the official store right now

I was looking at the track list for the demos and I have a theory about the song Lowlife. Without hearing it (obviously), this is just a guess. Knowing how Billie reuses ideas, like Black Eyeliner and Church on Sunday, I wonder if Lowlife was later reworked into Take the Money and Crawl, the line that goes, "High on lowlife, hit me with a dull knife!"

That's an interesting theory.  If it's true, I hope it's wildly different since there aren't too many song we haven't heard before.    Worst case scenario is that we've heard them all in some form or another and then Dude-case scenario - everything is totally new and fresh, haha.    St Jimmy Opera, Homecoming (nobody likes you), What's Her Name - totally different songs that what we think, lol.    I'm personally excited about We Are the Champions being on an official release.  That was an epic part of the Idiot era and I wish it had continued.      I'm also excited about the packaging.   This just might be the best album release of all time, space and coffee. 

• Like 4

I just realized I don't have anything to watch blurays on.  I haven't bought a physical movie in like 2000 years and it's never been an issue until now.    Think Tre would buy me a blu ray player?    I'm about to email Warner Brothers, haha.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2024 at 12:58 AM, pacejunkie punk said:

Will there be any other way to get this video but Blue Ray? Who has a Blue Ray player?  I don’t want to spend money on any of this to have two useless discs I can’t watch. I have a plain old DVD player

Same! I'm a dinosaur!😉 I might just have to bite the bullet and buy a really cheap Blue Ray player just for this!😄🤭

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Psycho Britney said:

Same! I'm a dinosaur!😉 I might just have to bite the bullet and buy a really cheap Blue Ray player just for this!😄🤭

We must demand they include a bluray player with every copy!   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Psycho Britney said:

I don’t want to do that 🥺

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Met Fan said:

Pre-ordered mine! Very excited to have this, mainly because this album is very near and dear to me.

HOWEVER

1. I wish they had included the original footage that Heart Like a Hand Grenade was made from before John Roecker turned it into some senseless pretentious art project. I waited for this for years, to get an insight into the recording of American Idiot and laying down the basic tracks, etc. only to be super disappointed with the film we got. And now we're getting the same thing again, while we know much more footage was shot at the studio rehearsal space and the control room. This was a great chance to make a documentary of it.

2. All the audio and video material on this release, except for the demos and the 20th anniversary documentary, are thing we had before, especially if you were around on this forums in 04/05 and we were getting pretty much everything they were doing. There was nothing "in the vault"? For some reason I always thought they soundboard recorded most shows on that tour. This point maybe be unfair because this release could be targeting a more current audience that didn't live through this era.

3. The Holiday/BOBD track they released is most definitely not a demo, it sounds like the songs before the final mixing stage, I wouldn't even call them rough mixes, I could be wrong about the instruments but the vocals are exactly the ones we got on the original album, not different take.

Still excited on the merit of the artwork and my long-term attachment to this album.

"especially if you were around on this forums in 04/05" nah man meanwhile i was being conceived/born 💀💀💀

but yeah i am hoping the other demos we get are interesting in some form, because you are quite right they do seem like rough mixes (which i still like regardless) and i do wish for more new unheard stuff because yeah a lot of the stuff there isnt really "new". again theyre probably saving it for another release mayhaps which i hope to get to hear in my lifetime

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

I’m hoping the new documentary will have a lot of that footage cuz yeah I didn’t like the “art project” aspect of HLAHG either, this was NOT the movie to do that to. 

Regarding Holiday/BOBD, it most definitely IS a demo. Just a very fleshed out and fully realized one. It goes to show just how much work was put into the album, even the demos.

Reminder that the Father of All song is actually from the Demo Sessions, so that goes to show what a Demo can sound like from them

Also, I am quite excited for the re-release of HLAHG only because currently we don't have a HD version and I really hope that when it comes out again, my copy on iTunes will have a HD upgraded version.

I was a completist collecting all the CD singles to get the highest quality digital copies of all the B-sides from the American Idiot era, so it feels gratifying to have all of those in one place, especially with performances like the VH1 Storytellers tracks being spread throughout different releases. I don't think a non-LP track was missing from the era, not counting the radio edits. Though those are far too niche, the time-condensed version of Jesus of Suburbia is still pretty interesting. But I digress. B-sides are also more welcome here than with Dookie 30, as there's no "Shenanigans" compilation for post-2003 rarities.

My nitpicks will always be that there can be more, but at the end of the day, what is there is gold and justifies the existence of such a set. For me, the demos will always be the meat and potatoes of these sets because they're never-before-released, and of historical importance to the making of the album. They've maxed out the discs with no glaring omissions, so I'm going to have no qualms double dipping on American Idiot (again).

The main nitpick is the incomplete Irving Plaza show. I know the other live shows are incomplete snippets, but this is a reflection of how they were presented on released material. To have a disc dedicated to being a live album (which Irving Plaza was a solid choice), it's frustrating to be missing such a small part to prevent it from being complete.

What else do people still want? I think Cigarettes and Valentines is the most common request, but I'm going to go against the grain and say that deserves to be its own release, and not locked away as bonus material on an American Idiot release.

There's also still more than an album's worth of finished outtakes from the era (from John Roecker's reference CD). Lights Out was released, but during the 21CB era (was the thought that it belonged to that album now?). There's also the possibility that many of those tracks were from Cigarettes and Valentines.

Finally, the Blu-rays are a great bonus. Even owning Heart Like a Hand Grenade, it still presents a sizable upgrade in quality. BBC performances are solid, but my one wish is to someday see the Sessions@AOL performances in decent quality. Maybe even some HD versions of the music videos?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Psycho Britney said:

Same 😄 All I have is an old DVD player

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Met Fan said:

Pre-ordered mine! Very excited to have this, mainly because this album is very near and dear to me.

HOWEVER

1. I wish they had included the original footage that Heart Like a Hand Grenade was made from before John Roecker turned it into some senseless pretentious art project. I waited for this for years, to get an insight into the recording of American Idiot and laying down the basic tracks, etc. only to be super disappointed with the film we got. And now we're getting the same thing again, while we know much more footage was shot at the studio rehearsal space and the control room. This was a great chance to make a documentary of it.

This! Word by word. Couldn't have expressed it better myself.

HLAHG was talked about and teased basically since American Idiot came out, it took forever to come out. I fell out of the Green Day world and news around 2013, so I only watched it when I came back last December, and it is easily the most disappointing thing I've ever seen in terms of movies, documentaries or music. In the end there is maybe like a total of 10 minutes with actual insights into how they made the album. And that was precisely what we (or at least I) expected to get, a documentary about how AI was made, not whatever waste of time the other 110 minutes were.

That's why the most exciting thing for me in this release are those few songs we don't know what they are, and that second documentary as I hope it will have some more footage of how they actually made that album. Although after seeing that teaser in their instagram I am not too sure that is what we will get.

Either way I'm also happy to have a physical copy of AI again and looking forward to seeing the artwork and photos too.

• Like 1

off-topic but i don't really get why some people don't understand why there's still demand for cigarettes & valentines.

sure, very well we (maybe) heard most of the songs from that album reworked on other records but, the big reason for me is that i want to hear these tracks/demos/whatever (if they exist) in their original form. give them to me like they're coming straight out of 2002/2003.

would be cool, maybe for the warning anniversary, maybe as a standalone, maybe in another dookade. 

• Like 4

On 8/9/2024 at 9:16 PM, Stewe said:

Did someone know where I can buy the CD Boxset here in Italy?

Amazon didn't seem to have it at the moment 

You can reserve in Spain (where I'm from) for 64€ (49 + 15).

https://www.d2fy.es/products/green-day-4cd-blu-ray-vinilo-rojo-splatter-american-idiot-20th-anniversary-deluxe-edition

It's not more cheaper, but you can save some money

On 8/10/2024 at 1:01 AM, CristhyneS said:

I could order it to France  through the EU Green Day shop. Shipping was around 9 euros, and because the price is under 150 euros there are no additional import fees, says so on the website.

If you are from France, there's an little "offer" to the CD boxset through fnac. 63€

https://www.fnac.com/a20796809/Green-Day-American-Idiot-20th-Anniversary-Edition-Deluxe-Limitee-Coffret-CD-album

And for European people interested on vinyl box set and / or red splatter vinyl, you can order from fnac France too for 166€ and 37€ respectively, plus 4€ for shipment (at least happened to me for Spain)

Red vinyl splatter:

https://www.fnac.com/a20796810/Green-Day-American-Idiot-20th-Anniversary-Edition-Deluxe-Limitee-Vinyle-Rouge-et-Noir-Vinyle-album

Vinyl Box set:

https://www.fnac.com/a20796808/Green-Day-American-Idiot-20th-Anniversary-Edition-Deluxe-Limitee-Vinyle-Colore-Coffret-Vinyle-album

Edited by JoooSeee_ECDL
Add link

I dont understand why they can‘t release a full show except for the 30th Dookie Set (at least the audio)

Bullet in a Bible was nice, but it wasn‘t complete and the Interviews between the songs are annoying, they should‘ve put them at the end of the concert or as a bonus. Same for Awesome as fuck, never understood why they didn‘t show the full thing on DVD/Blu-Ray and the 21st Shows were even better than AI shows in my opinion.
Now we‘re getting a new box Set and still no full show on DVD or Audio (I don‘t count the short TV performances) :( 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I completely agree.  I would love a high quality video of a whole show.  I don’t care if the whole thing isn’t perfect.  It would help me through the droughts between albums/tours and would not stop me going to see them live. There must be many fans who’ll will never be able to and see them who would want a live show.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

I’m hoping the new documentary will have a lot of that footage cuz yeah I didn’t like the “art project” aspect of HLAHG either, this was NOT the movie to do that to. 

Regarding Holiday/BOBD, it most definitely IS a demo. Just a very fleshed out and fully realized one. It goes to show just how much work was put into the album, even the demos.

I'll be curious to see the credits of these demos. I agree with others that the quality is too good to be demo recordings, but they are definitely not rough mixes of the original songs either. Some of the vocal melodies/lyric pronunciation is slightly different, and I noticed on Holiday there was a different drum part that was not on the original. I think these may actually be different "takes" from the album sessions and were given rough mixes. Or perhaps these were serious takes recorded at Studio 880/Jingletown and were re-done when they went to Ocean Way. Again, I'll need to see what the actual credits say.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2024 at 8:11 AM, rx72 said:

if the john r cd is real i think it still might not include all the songs from C&V, so that could explain that we didn't know about the existence of everyone's breaking down, just another year and lowlife.

C&V sessions and AI sessions were separate recording sessions. The first in 2002-2003 and second being 2004. However, we know the B-sides are confirmed C&V songs.

Which means these demos are more likely to be true AI session songs. The only skeptical moment for me was “Just Another Year”, C&V had a song called “Lately (one more year)” I believe. Similar concepts and as you can tell they hadn’t solidified song names till later (radio Baghdad, are we, we are, novocaine).

They lost a good opp to do a double re-release with AI&CV. Maybe one day… 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Which means these demos are more likely to be true AI session songs.

i really hope you're right. i think i never thought of the possibility of getting to know more about the album's story and now we might get that.