American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Jon Benjamin

Available for pre-order here: https://store.greenday.com/collections/american-idiot-20

86538-green-day-american-idiot-vinyl-box

Green Day’s seventh studio album American Idiot was released in September 2004 and has since sold over 23 million copies worldwide, including 9 million in the US. The album is a punk rock opera masterpiece that won the Best Rock Album at the 2005 Grammy Awards©. Five hit singles were released from the album: “Boulevard of Broken Dreams”, “Holiday”, “Wake Me Up When September Ends”, “Jesus of Suburbia”, and the title track, “American Idiot”. 

In addition to the original album, this super deluxe box sets include 15 unreleased demos, a 15-song 2004 concert from Irving Plaza, NYC (9 songs previously unreleased), and 15 tracks that were released as B-Sides and bonus tracks. The box set is completed with two Blu-rays that feature the film “Heart Like A Hand Grenade”, 35 minutes of Green Day live at the BBC, and a new, unreleased documentary: “20 Years of American Idiot”.

The deluxe vinyl box features the eight LPs pressed on different color vinyl, plus a 36-page book, a large Green Day flag, and the iconic American Idiot red tie. The Green Day Store version also features an exclusive poster.

The CD box includes 4 CDs (the same audio/video content as the vinyl box), 48-page book, an enamel pin set, sticker sheet, and cloth patch.

LP 1 & 2 - Original Album
1 American Idiot
2 Jesus of Suburbia
I. Jesus of Suburbia
II. City of the Damned
III. I Don't Care
IV. Dearly Beloved
V. Tales of Another Broken Home
3 Holiday
4 Boulevard of Broken Dreams
5 Are We the Waiting
6 St. Jimmy
7 Give Me Novacaine
8 She's A Rebel
9 Extraordinary Girl
10 Letterbomb
11 Wake Me Up When September Ends
12 Homecoming
I. The Death of St. Jimmy
II. East 12th St.
III. Nobody Likes You
IV. Rock and Roll Girlfriend
V. We're Coming Home Again
13 Whatsername

LP 3 & 4 - B-Sides & Bonus Tracks
1 American Idiot (Live)
2 Jesus of Suburbia (Live)
I. Jesus of Suburbia
II. City of the Damned
III. I Don't Care
IV. Dearly Beloved
V. Tales of Another Broken Home
3 Holiday Live)
4 Are We the Waiting (Live)
5 St. Jimmy (Live)
6 Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Live)
7 Favorite Son
8 Shoplifter
9 Governator
10 Too Much Too Soon
11 Are We the Waiting (Live)
12 St. Jimmy (Live)
13 Give Me Novacaine (Live)
14 Homecoming (Live)

LP 5 & 6 - Demos
1 American Idiot
2 American Idiot (Alt. Version)
3 Jesus Of Suburbia
4 Holiday/Blvd. Of Broken Dreams
5 Are We We Are/St. Jimmy Opera
6 Novacaine
7 She's A Rebel
8 Radio Bagdad
9 Cluster Bomb
10 Wake Me Up When September Ends
11 Homecoming (Nobody Likes You)
12 Everyone's Breaking Down
13 Just Another Year
14 Lowlife
15 What's Her Name

LP 7 & 8 - Live Irving Plaza, NYC, Sept 21 '04
1 American Idiot (Live)
2 Jesus of Suburbia (Live)
3 Holiday (Live)
4 Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Live)
5 Are We the Waiting (Live)
6 St. Jimmy (Live)
7 Give Me Novacaine (Live)
8 She's A Rebel (Live)
9 Extraordinary Girl (Live)
10 Letterbomb (Live)
11 Wake Me Up When September Ends (Live)
12 Homecoming (Live)
13 Whatsername (Live)
14 Minority (Live)
15 We Are The Champions (Live)

Bluray 1
Heart Like A Hand Grenade 

Bluray 2
1 Amercian Idiot 20th Anniv. Documentary
2 BBC Live
St. Jimmy (Live)
Give Me Novacaine (Live)
She's A Rebel (Live)
Welcome To Paradise (Live)
Wake Me Up When September Ends (Live)
Jesus Of Suburbia (Live)
American Idiot (Live in Studio)
Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Live in studio)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Favorite Son is FINALLY available on Spotify in the US!!!

So happy about this! Honestly thought there would be more on Spotify right now, but the Holiday/BOBD demo was pretty cool.

Just got the email! Full album October 25!

• Like 1

What’s the difference between the 200 dollar one and the 70 dollar one ? 

1 minute ago, jetsrule128 said:

What’s the difference between the 200 dollar one and the 70 dollar one ? 

One is a CD box set and the other is a vinyl box set.

• Like 2

We really don't know if C&V exists. There are theories that C&V never actually existed and is just a story that was made up to drum up intrigue and speculation about what this mysterious lost album could've been. While there isn't necessarily evidence that C&V never existed, there isn't really evidence that it did exist either. Tbh the song C&V lyrically sounds a lot more like something Billie would've written post-AI. Not saying it couldn't have been written earlier but it just sounds like that to me.

Secondly, even if it did exist, it's very likely that anything worth releasing off of it was already released or reworked. Maybe a couple songs off Money Money 2020 originally sounded more "Green Day" and were part of C&V. Maybe songs from American Idiot originated from C&V. Maybe songs from Foxboro, 21st Century Breakdown or the trilogy came from C&V. And then you have to think of all the B-sides that were released, did they originate from C&V? For all we know we've already heard all the songs from C&V. Some of these new unheard demos coming might also be from the C&V sessions too

Thirdly, when the Warning anniversary album comes out, which should be next year for its 25th, we could get more stuff intended for C&V. Since Warning was the predecessor to what was supposed to be C&V, it's likely that a lot of the stuff intended for C&V originated from the Warning sessions. If we ever are to get C&V released in its entirety, I wouldn't be surprised if they include C&V alongside the Warning anniversary album as a way of making that release more appealing to more casual fans who like American Idiot but aren't familiar with their broader discography like Warning

And finally, if C&V was to be released, it could be argued that it takes away from what makes that album so special. Again, it's the mystery surrounding it that makes it interesting to fans. But remember, it was an album that the band wasn't happy with at the time so deciding to scrap. It's an album that if released, could've resulted in the end of the band since American Idiot wouldn't have been released. It could just be considered a real disappointment if it ever were released, there's a lot of high expectations for an album that was supposed to come out 21 years ago.

I like the new demos for Holiday/BOBD. The Minority live track is also nice, though I'm surprised they chose Minority to be the live track they released first. Favorite Son was always available to me on spotify but not a lot of people would've heard it so I'm glad that it's widely available for people to listen to now on streaming platforms. 

• Like 3

• Fuzz changed the title to American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Since it's AI I was going to spring for the vinyl box set. After seeing that price...yeah no thanks. The box sets tend to drop in price a year later so I'll stick with the cd set for now. At least it comes with cool pins! I think the CD bonus goodies are better than the vinyl ones for once.

6 hours ago, Stewe said:

Did someone know if the CDs set will be available to purchase on Amazon?

Considering that the Dookie and Nimrod boxsets are on Amazon I'm sure AI will be too. It usually takes a few hours for the links to appear.

• Love 1

Anyone got a discount code from the GD Store? The one I had has expired.

• Surprised 2

Anyone else having issues with payment being declined?

• Like 1

I really just want this for the blu-rays, but the CD boxset is already sold out in the EU store. hopefully Amazon will have them.

I don’t own a Blu-ray player, so I’ll need to find a DVD copy of Heart Like a Hand Grenade. Hope the other documentary receives a separate release in the future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Anyone else having issues with payment being declined?

I did. My Internet has been spotty since we had some bad storms come through and wonder if that was my issue. 

Will try again when I get into work here soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

I did. My Internet has been spotty since we had some bad storms come through and wonder if that was my issue. 

Will try again when I get into work here soon.

I’ve tried with two different cards. I feel like it’s a GD store issue.

9 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

We really don't know if C&V exists. There are theories that C&V never actually existed and is just a story that was made up to drum up intrigue and speculation about what this mysterious lost album could've been. While there isn't necessarily evidence that C&V never existed, there isn't really evidence that it did exist either. Tbh the song C&V lyrically sounds a lot more like something Billie would've written post-AI. Not saying it couldn't have been written earlier but it just sounds like that to me.

Secondly, even if it did exist, it's very likely that anything worth releasing off of it was already released or reworked. Maybe a couple songs off Money Money 2020 originally sounded more "Green Day" and were part of C&V. Maybe songs from American Idiot originated from C&V. Maybe songs from Foxboro, 21st Century Breakdown or the trilogy came from C&V. And then you have to think of all the B-sides that were released, did they originate from C&V? For all we know we've already heard all the songs from C&V. Some of these new unheard demos coming might also be from the C&V sessions too

Thirdly, when the Warning anniversary album comes out, which should be next year for its 25th, we could get more stuff intended for C&V. Since Warning was the predecessor to what was supposed to be C&V, it's likely that a lot of the stuff intended for C&V originated from the Warning sessions. If we ever are to get C&V released in its entirety, I wouldn't be surprised if they include C&V alongside the Warning anniversary album as a way of making that release more appealing to more casual fans who like American Idiot but aren't familiar with their broader discography like Warning

And finally, if C&V was to be released, it could be argued that it takes away from what makes that album so special. Again, it's the mystery surrounding it that makes it interesting to fans. But remember, it was an album that the band wasn't happy with at the time so deciding to scrap. It's an album that if released, could've resulted in the end of the band since American Idiot wouldn't have been released. It could just be considered a real disappointment if it ever were released, there's a lot of high expectations for an album that was supposed to come out 21 years ago.

I like the new demos for Holiday/BOBD. The Minority live track is also nice, though I'm surprised they chose Minority to be the live track they released first. Favorite Son was always available to me on spotify but not a lot of people would've heard it so I'm glad that it's widely available for people to listen to now on streaming platforms. 

From what I’ve read, here’s what I think the track list may have looked like

1. Cigarettes and Valentines

2. Walk Away

3. I’ll Be There When September Ends

4. Shoplifter

5. Governator

6. Too Much Too Soon

7. Favorite Son

8. Horseshoes and Handgrenades

9. Hearts Collide

10. Lights Out

11. Lately (One More Year)

12. Waste Away

13. Too Young

14. Dropout

Oh nooo, it already says sold out in the European store! Is that possible? 😭

Well I guess I have to wait. Payment keeps not going through.

• Sad 1