American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Jon Benjamin

5 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

They recorded the album twice, one at 880 with Chris Dugan and reto Peter and then again at ocean way with rob, but Rob was providing creative guidance and “producing” that whole time

That makes sense, so these are likely the tracks recorded at 880 then.

Novacaine demo guitars sound the same as the final guitars on the record. Any chance they used the same tracks for the final version?

There are other things on the demos that seems to be the same, like American Idiot guitar intro, Radio Baghdad intro

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jengd said:

I have been avoiding this thread but I have to take it all back, Warner's box set just delivered and it's beautiful! Complete with a badge, pins and stickers and OMG the intro in the booklet from Rob Cavallo, will endeavour to transcribe and share it with you.

Do you collect the CDs or wax?

Did anyone watch the new documentary? Is it any good?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Did anyone watch the new documentary? Is it any good?

Where is it available? I want to see it and was just about to ask about this!

2 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

I did not expect half of Homecoming to be a total re-imagining. You can tell that they were still figuring out the direction for the song! :lol:

Me neither! I love how the original one centered around centered around Billie, Mike, and Tre as individuals LOL. Cool to think about how it got reimagined to fit the album story. Also cool to hear Everybody's Breaking Down, which obviously got merged with Homecoming for the final version. Really fascinating stuff here.

• Like 2

Omg the alt version of AI is sooooo Warning-esque, very cool. Pulling out Everyone’s Breaking Down from the rest of Homecoming really highlighted for me how much that part sounds like Warning, too. I feel silly for never really noticing that before. Really loved this version of the song.

Lowlife is SO COOL? Wow, I love it. I’m hearing a lot of 21CB in it, so interesting. Chorus is also a lot like Strange Days. Love the “I just wanna be alright” line. 

Homecoming is hilarious. Love some of the weird instrumentation in it and the continued lines about who is in the studio cracked me up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billy1986 said:

Was there any explanation as to what the fallout between Rob and the band was about?

I don't remember 100% but IIRC the band was ready to record 21CBD and Rob either turned them down because he was very in-demand at that time as a producer and was working with other artists or wouldn't accommodate them into his schedule between the other artists he was producing. I could be wrong though.

18 minutes ago, Insomniac186 said:

I don't remember 100% but IIRC the band was ready to record 21CBD and Rob either turned them down because he was very in-demand at that time as a producer and was working with other artists or wouldn't accommodate them into his schedule between the other artists he was producing. I could be wrong though.

I belive that was busy with my chemchal romance... Bad choice Rob!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

That's what I remember but he was also working with Paramore around that time as well.

11 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Not really, MCR is a great band and The Black Parade was a fantastic album. Producers are allowed to work with other artists, you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alienlifeform said:

Novacaine demo guitars sound the same as the final guitars on the record. Any chance they used the same tracks for the final version?

There are other things on the demos that seems to be the same, like American Idiot guitar intro, Radio Baghdad intro

Definitely, if the demo recording is great no reason to reinvent the wheel

^^I'd like to know that as well. I can't believe it hasn't been uploaded somewhere yet 😔

• Like 1

I don't have a hard and fast answer on this yet, but it seems people on Reddit are saying you have to buy the Blue-Ray that comes with the album? It doesn't seem to be available anywhere else.

I am shocked that the original film negatives for this music video were still usable.