American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Jon Benjamin

I'm one of those green day fans who didn't like the holiday,boulevard september ends demos when it got released. So i said that these are gonna be skippable for me. But now that the full demo album got released i end up listening all the demo tracks over and over....well september ends still skippable for me from time to time.

Noticed that on Apple Music, the AI era videos (minus JoS) got remastered versions! Audio quality and video quality got raised and seems like they’re on YouTube as well!

Definitely gives them a different feel, but man it’s so cool seeing these shots in 4K quality now, also did WMUWSE always have that wide of an aspect ratio?!

• Like 1

Lowife IS much better than all the b-sides on the edition and strange days or viva la gloria... Don't understand why was hidden so long and why wasn't used for the album... Maybe because IS similar to letterbomb

• Like 1

are we gonna talk about how cool "Homecoming (Nobody Likes You)" is? 

I mean it's also pretty wacky ngl, but I just love how different it is to the final version. Oh and also, gimme gimme those sweet Tho Who / a quick one while he's away influences too :wub:

• Like 4

Alternative Version of American Idiot is so fucking WEIRD but COOL!!

• Like 1

UGHHHHH Lowlife 🤩🤩🤩🤩

• Like 2

The homecoming demo

What is this and why do I love it

• Like 1

On spotify, the regular tracks seem to be a lot quieter on the anniversary album compared to the normal album. I had to increase the volume to loud in the settings. 

Thank fucking god they had the idea for the rock opera. Songs like homecoming would effectively be useless (but pleasant) noise if they kept themselves original subjects rather than the conclusion to the album story line. 

I wonder how funny they thought it was seeing the serious and emotionally charged broadway cast rehearsals of homecoming knowing how that song originally started.  

• Like 2

It’s so cool hearing the origins of their big Frankenstein songs, sounds like the me, myself, and I part in homecoming became the land of make believe part in jos.  So cool to finally hear the birth of American idiot 

probably listened to this songs uncountable times before, but they still hit like *chefs kiss*

when AI got released it was the very first contact with greenday's music i had in my life, and oh boy what a ride it has been so far

without them and their music my life would probably be much shittier 😄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GuitarPunk94 said:

probably listened to this songs uncountable times before, but they still hit like *chefs kiss*

when AI got released it was the very first contact with greenday's music i had in my life, and oh boy what a ride it has been so far

without them and their music my life would probably be much shittier 😄

Yes, while I don't only listen to Green Day anymore, I picked the right band to obsess over

Currently listening to the demos while working, and this alternate version of American Idiot (the song) is SENDING me.

• Like 1

I did not expect half of Homecoming to be a total re-imagining. You can tell that they were still figuring out the direction for the song! :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

On spotify, the regular tracks seem to be a lot quieter on the anniversary album compared to the normal album. I had to increase the volume to loud in the settings. 

That's because the 20th Anniversary (thankfully) is based off the 2012 Hi-res masters with better dynamics. They're lower in volume.

• Like 1

I believe I said this before but I'll say it again; based on the audio quality and the tones of the instruments I really don't believe these are "demos" per se, but alternate takes and outtakes from the the actual AI recording sessions. Bands (especially bands of Green Day's caliber) are in the studio long enough for songs to evolve and get re-recorded with different arrangements and vocals. Listen to the opening guitar riff on the title track "demos" and the guitar tone is the exact same as the album version. Compare the audio quality to songs that we know were recorded prior to the AI sessions (Too Much Too Soon, Shoplifter, Lights Out, etc.) the audio quality is very different. Why would they want "demos" to sound as good as a professionally recorded album? If Rob Cavallo is credited was producer for these "demos" then to me that is further evidence that they are just alternate takes & outtakes.

I'm also surprised that they did not include "When It's Time" but maybe they left it out because previous demo versions were already released on the Dookie and Nimrod box sets. And yes, I do believe the "Green Day version" of When It's Time from the Broadway album is from the AI sessions because Rob Cavallo is credited as producer yet during that time he and the band had a falling out and were not on speaking terms, so there's no way he would have been there during the Broadway album recording sessions for one song and then skedaddled.

44 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

I did not expect half of Homecoming to be a total re-imagining. You can tell that they were still figuring out the direction for the song! :lol:

It had a direction, what it didn’t have was a rock opera to go with it. On its own, it’s still a cute story of everyone split up and waiting to reunite at the studio.  Not nearly it’s potential though!

8 minutes ago, Tomcat20 said:

Homecoming Demo reminds me of A Quick One by the Who

A little too much and they knew it. They took those elements out to make the song more their own. Still a tribute, but not a pastiche.