American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Jon Benjamin

I read the booklet interview and they mentioned that WMUWSE was written late 2002 and they didn't know what to do with it after they started over. Idk if they meant it got written for it or if it got written awkwardly in between, but I think they were likely working on C&V in late 2002 still though: It pretty much confirmed that American Idiot, later parts of JOS, Holiday, Boulevard, Whatsername, Are We The Waiting and some of the Homecoming parts were written with the concept in mind. Also seems like Favourite Son was written for AI.

• Like 2
  • Surprised 1

21 minutes ago, Mato said:

*SPOILERS*

- American Idiot (Alt. Version) completely different lyrics and a new short, completely different bridge, which was a nice surprise

- Novacaine and Whatsername are the same ones from the demo disc that leaked a week or two ago, just a better mix.

- Clusterbomb is Letterbomb with Warning production, slightly faster with in your face intro. I love it

- Homecoming is when the new stuff starts coming in - a lot of different short songs, parts, lyrics, a more obvious influence of A Quick One by The Who, even a hardcore punk element in Tre's song part. Overall I love it

- Everyone’s Breaking Down and Just Another Year are original songs of which core parts were later on used in Homecoming (the intro and part after Rock n Roll Girlfriend)

- Lowlife definitely heavily influenced ¡Viva la Gloria! and later on Strange Days Are Here To Stay. It's really nice

Sadly, there's no completely new or unheard songs that don't have elements of already released songs, but overall this is still absolutely awesome to hear. I love this band.

Novacaine and whatsername are different tempos on this release than the disc had

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elxufinnishidiot said:

I read the booklet interview and they mentioned that WMUWSE was written late 2002 and they didn't know what to do with it after they started over. Idk if they meant it got written for it or if it got written awkwardly in between, but I think they were likely working on C&V in late 2002 still though: It pretty much confirmed that American Idiot, later parts of JOS, Holiday, Boulevard, Whatsername, Are We The Waiting and some of the Homecoming parts were written with the concept in mind. Also seems like Favourite Son was written for AI.

September 2002 was the 20th anniversary of his Dad’s passing so the whole “twenty years has gone so fast” thing might have been what inspired him to finally write a song about it. He probably didn’t worry about what he was going to do with it, he just had to write it. I recall HLAHG when he said “This song is kicking my ass” and Mike replied “It’s about time you wrote this one”

• Like 4

Lowlife is pretty cool. Glad it eventually made it’s way into the masterpiece JOS. But even so I love Billie’s song-writing in the early 2000s . 

• Like 1

In the booklet they talk about cigarettes and valentines being a power pop record and thats evident in these demos, American idiot is definitely more alternative rock, they obviously made a point to make american idiot a record that had a harder edge, probably helped by the fact that they had the narrative of the many failings george bush presidency and Iraq. This new found drive and focus in the state of pop culture and politics in 2004 bled into the music and their process. This drive and energy shown by the group was a key driving factor in why American idiot had the impact it had and the staying power it continues to have both musically and culturally even in 2024. Also American Idiot itself prides itself on the ethos of punk which Billie Joe makes point of detailing what Punk is about in the booklet. Very Interesting and supports the fact that American Idiot well and truly gave a Green Day a second wind and cemented themselves as more than a legacy pop punk act,

Edited by crankyfranky
added a word
  • Like 3

I’ve bought too much of the merch.  Excited for when the CD bundle ships but I gotta say that I put on the American Idiot cardigan today for the first time and this thing is so soft and comfy. I’m honestly impressed. 

• Like 2

Any word if the documentary will be released on VOD or streaming? Or is it really bundle exclusive?

• Like 2

That are really cool demos in it, way better than the ones released in prior. Love Homecoming and all the 'new ones'

58 minutes ago, killjoywhatsername said:

I’ve bought too much of the merch.  Excited for when the CD bundle ships but I gotta say that I put on the American Idiot cardigan today for the first time and this thing is so soft and comfy. I’m honestly impressed. 

How's the fit? I wanted it but was worried because there was no fit info and I didn't know what size to get. Also, acrylic can pill and wear badly for the price. Is it worth the money?

Lowlife I think also birthed “Happiness” on The Longshot in addition to Strange Days are Here to Stay and the obvious parts of JOS.

Maybe even part of the piano melody of Viva La Gloria! Intro (played in a diff key and cleaned up) 

• Like 1

Man, that's awesome, especially as a hardcore American Idiot (era) fan! I love that they used parts of those songs and connected them (as I suspected), but some of those songs are very good on their own, imo. And wth is up with the Homecoming demo? That was so interesting and funny

Spoiler

(Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike) haha

Can't wait to watch the new documentary. Unfortunately I won't be home Friday and Saturday to get the package, but maybe a neighbor will accept the parcel for me and I can watch it on Sunday.

[Spoiler]
Only Whatsername and Novacaine are (as far as I can tell) the same recording from the leaked 5 Song Demo-CD, but mixed better and the other 3 from the CD are still officially unreleased...what a time to be a GD fan and/or an American Idiot fan :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karl Karlson said:

Man, that's awesome, especially as a hardcore American Idiot (era) fan! I love that they used parts of those songs and connected them (as I suspected), but some of those songs are very good on their own, imo. And wth is up with the Homecoming demo? That was so interesting and funny

Reveal hidden contents

(Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike) haha

Can't wait to watch the new documentary. Unfortunately I won't be home Friday and Saturday to get the package, but maybe a neighbor will accept the parcel for me and I can watch it on Sunday.

[Spoiler]
Only Whatsername and Novacaine are (as far as I can tell) the same recording from the leaked 5 Song Demo-CD, but mixed better and the other 3 from the CD are still officially unreleased...what a time to be a GD fan and/or an American Idiot fan :D

Novacaine guitars seem to be the ones used on the final version actually, they sound exactly the same. the little guitar intro in American Idiot too

37 minutes ago, JReevz said:

Lowlife I think also birthed “Happiness” on The Longshot in addition to Strange Days are Here to Stay and the obvious parts of JOS.

Maybe even part of the piano melody of Viva La Gloria! Intro (played in a diff key and cleaned up) 

in the second verse of Lowlife we can hear what became the guitar solo from Letterbomb too

• Like 1

My only disappointment is that the tracks from Irving Plaza is so quiet/low :(

Anyone else’s 1234 Go order not even ship yet?

Edited by roushgreenday1fan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, alekshf96 said:

My only disappointment is that the tracks from Irving Plaza is so quiet/low :(

That's true. At least the tracks are not too compressed.
What bugs me (if the version I have is the final digital release) is that the intro for the live show is cut and it starts too sudden, no fade, nothing. MAYBE the intro is a hidden pre-gap track on the CD version? I've had that with another live show on CD (not GD of course).

ok 

the homecoming demo is something ... wow lmao 😅

i won't spoil it - you need to listen to it yourselves to experience it :ga:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, þjáningu said:

ok 

the homecoming demo is something ... wow lmao 😅

i won't spoil it - you need to listen to it yourselves to experience it :ga:

It's much more of a direct Who parody that's for sure, and I love all the Billie, Mike and Tre references instead of the AI characters.  

• Like 1

I love demo releases so much- always so interesting to see the parts not used and where they ended up in newer songs. 

The irving plaza concert sounds as sweet as a nut, really hits the spot! I've almost forgiven them for cutting 3 songs.

almost

Keep 'em coming though, ay, Green Day. Maybe The Warfield next?? :eyebrows:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

The irving plaza concert sounds as sweet as a nut, really hits the spot! I've almost forgiven them for cutting 3 songs.

almost

Keep 'em coming though, ay, Green Day. Maybe The Warfield next?? :eyebrows:

i dont get why Jaded got robbed twice with 2 separate releases of shows from this era
it got cut from BIAB (despite the fact that its a minute long and there are more forgettable songs on there *cough* basket case) and now both it, longview and brain stew are the only 3 songs MISSING from this release of Irving Plaza

• Like 2

Indeed, worst thing is the build up to Jaded on the DVD only for it to go nowhere. Oh well...

To be honest, this time I think it's just a lazy one-size fits all approach: It's possible that those extra 3 songs simply didn't fit onto the LP(s). Now, I have no idea what relevance that has for CD and/or digital releases. None, as far as I'm concerned, but here we are.

I've just listened to the demos cus it's really hate and I don't have the time to listen to the full album and all the live tracks tonight. The demos of Homecoming/JoS between WMUWSE and Whatsername's demos are definitely the highlights for me. The rest of the demos are interesting enough, just to see the differences in lyrics and music, especially in the case of American Idiot and She's A Rebel. But they don't really seem all that replayable to me whereas the other demos of Homecoming/Dearly Beloved and all the brand new sections in those demos are really cool to listen to and I feel like I'll be giving these tracks a good few listens. Kinda surprised some of those sections didn't end up on the album or released as B-sides/bonus tracks or even later on. I do wish there was some more new stuff to hear but overall, I'm happy with the demos we've got.

Other than that, having the songs separated on streaming platforms like spotify is going to be a great thing for when you just want to listen to a song on its own or add specific songs to playlists. Just listening to the transitions between songs, they sound like they all transition fine on spotify. So there's no point in even listening to the combined tracks now. Do the normal album tracks sound at all different? Idk if they've been remastered or anything like that (again I don't have the time to listen to them right now cus it's late)

• Like 1

I find it hilarious the transition between "where did the drummer go" to "nobody cares" 😂

• Haha 3