American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Jon Benjamin

21 minutes ago, Dysfunco said:

A little quick break-down, based on New Zealand snippets on Qobuz:

American Idiot (Alternate version) = Earlier version of the song with different lyrics. (the unreleased song "Idiot" on Nimrod springs to mind, could there be a connection?)

Homecoming = New parts we haven't heard before

Everyone's Breaking Down = Whole song based off the "here the come marching down the street" (by favorite, by the way) part in Homecoming.

Just Another Year = A whole song based on what is now the accapella intro in Homecoming.

Lowlife = A new song where verses seems to be what later became the "Dearly Beloved" part in Jesus of Suburbia. Potentielly with a very different feel though as it's a entirely different drum beat and tempo. 

I know other people here have heard the full songs, but I thought I could create a post like this so we have the details in a more condensed form :) 

Lowlife is so fking good

• Like 1

Check this out, so they still go with the "tapes mysteriously disappearing" thing which atp I think it's obvious that we know they didn't (for people who were still doubting)
also confirmed that a faster version of novacaine was recorded for C&V, and maybe im misreading but extraordinary girl too? very interesting

image.png?ex=671b8c3c&is=671a3abc&hm=91aimage.png?ex=671b8c75&is=671a3af5&hm=fbc

• Like 3

Wow this was really interesting. The chorus of Lowlife seemed to turn into Strange Days Are Here To Stay. The American Idiot demo did kinda sound like Nimrod. The lyrics are totally different on many songs. I need to read em and map out wether they reference the album story or if they fit between Homecoming and Whatsername, cuz if not, they could be full songs from C&V. That would make sense since Billie said homecoming has lots of those songs and then the scrapped first 3,5 minutes of homecoming, which I haven't heard yet. This is pretty valuable info on what the album may have been like since it's easy to connect that to what Billie said in the interview. Also would make sense for Clusterbomb to be part of it too, cuz if it was cut from Warning, would be weird if it wasn't atleast demoed and considered for C&V. If hear the warning version, I think it will be very different, like less punk.

12 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Check this out, so they still go with the "tapes mysteriously disappearing" thing which atp I think it's obvious that we know they didn't (for people who were still doubting)
also confirmed that a faster version of novacaine was recorded for C&V, and maybe im misreading but extraordinary girl too? very interesting

image.png?ex=671b8c3c&is=671a3abc&hm=91aimage.png?ex=671b8c75&is=671a3af5&hm=fbc

“As legend has it” 😂 Reading it this way after the WB meeting and you know the story is bullshit.  

This confirms that there was a complete album and C&V was the official title, and as has been speculated before, Warner wasn’t thrilled and neither was Billie and they started again.  Interesting to hear how many songs were used for American Idiot in one way or another. The version of Novacaine we got in the 5 demos leak is faster and lacks the Jimmy reference and could be the one their referencing. 

16 minutes ago, Flynn said:

I think Billie is talking about Just Another Year aka the beginning of Homecoming with the guitar riff? 

Novacaine was on C&V? Maybe that is sleepyhead, hence why it doesnt appear on the b-side list. Maybe Lazy Bones is that original song reworked. Things are connecting man

I wonder if they mean that Extraordinary Girl also came from C&V? This is interesting.

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

“As legend has it” 😂 Reading it this way after the WB meeting and you know the story is bullshit.  

This confirms that there was a complete album and C&V was the official title, and as has been speculated before, Warner wasn’t thrilled and neither was Billie and they started again.  Interesting to hear how many songs were used for American Idiot in one way or another. The version of Novacaine we got in the 5 demos leak is faster and lacks the Jimmy reference and could be the one their referencing. 

Yeah this convinces me I was at least half correct with my C&V theory, and that they're basically the same album C&V and AI, because as said they basically borrowed a few parts from that album too despite starting from scratch. I'm convinced as well considering they seem to at least, have concepted the story and characters during the process of writing for AI that the 5 demo track we got was from cigarettes and valentines era of the sessions because
1. there's no references to any AI characters or themes in those songs
2. they are very early versions
3. like you said, the novacaine seems to be faster like the "Faster version" they were talking about
and 4th extra point, they also bring up radio baghdad in one of those paragraphs, which is also on the cd
also in general they sound like very early demos compared to the AI ones we have, maybe explaining why the AI versions are more polished

just realised my last point is the same as the 2nd but yeah lol

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Yeah this convinces me I was at least half correct with my C&V theory, and that they're basically the same album C&V and AI, because as said they basically borrowed a few parts from that album too despite starting from scratch. I'm convinced as well considering they seem to at least, have concepted the story and characters during the process of writing for AI that the 5 demo track we got was from cigarettes and valentines era of the sessions because
1. there's no references to any AI characters or themes in those songs
2. they are very early versions
3. like you said, the novacaine seems to be faster like the "Faster version" they were talking about
and 4th extra point, they also bring up radio baghdad in one of those paragraphs, which is also on the cd
also in general they sound like very early demos compared to the AI ones we have, maybe explaining why the AI versions are more polished

If this is true, we almost have the whole album.

1. Everyone Is Breaking Down

2. Just Another Year

3. Lowlife

4. American Idiot alt demo? (maybe not)

5. Give Me Novacaine

6. The intro of Extraordinary Girl as some kind of instrumental?

7. Cigarettes and Valentines

8. Too Much Too Soon

9. Dropout

10. Walkaway

11. Clluster Bomb?

then the rest like Waste Away and Lights Out that were never confirmed

1 minute ago, Elxufinnishidiot said:

If this is true, we almost have the whole album.

1. Everyone Is Breaking Down

2. Just Another Year

3. Lowlife

4. American Idiot alt demo? (maybe not)

5. Give Me Novacaine

6. The intro of Extraordinary Girl as some kind of instrumental?

7. Cigarettes and Valentines

8. Too Much Too Soon

9. Dropout

10. Walkaway

then the rest like Walk Away and Lights Out that were never confirmed

also shoplifter is highly likely, same production credits. i noticed when they brought up the demos in the boxset thing from that video, they didnt mention shoplifter oddly

• Like 1

Just now, Flynn said:

also shoplifter is highly likely, same production credits. i noticed when they brought up the demos in the boxset thing from that video, they didnt mention shoplifter oddly

It kinda feels like we just got C&V without getting it. Shoplifter always made sense for sure

• Like 1

Thanks to VPN. WOW Homecoming is much better that I thought at first. Now I like most of the demos, looks refreshing the album, and reading the last posts, yes, "finally we get C&V"

Edited by roquer
  • Like 1

I might be looking too far into this, but Billie said that he took one riff off one of the C&V songs for Homecoming and realized that the riff from Stop When The Red Lights Flash has a similar riff to the part with the does anyone care part, but I don't think the song sounds like that era

Anyone else thinks that "Sleepyhead" could have developed into Novacaine? An earlier, albeit faster, version of it?

If you think of it, "sleepyhead" would be a fitting description of the potential effects of Novocaine, judging by whats written about it: 

"Novocaine might calm you and make you drowsy; as a result, you might feel sleepy or like you need to take a nap."

If so, it (obviously) also makes perfect sense that it's not on the B-side disc Roecker posted, as the song made it unto the final album under the name Novacaine.

There's no way to know if the song lengths would even be remotely close though, since Sleepheads is just mentioned by name, no other details, in that Warning behind-the-scenes footage. Perhaps we get to know sometime in the future.

• Like 2

That's a good theory actually

Also wow, just started the homecoming demo and this is interesting to hear brand new material which I assume is the stuff that kicked off the work to American Idiot and got them out of the rut that was C&V

oh wow the part at 3:17 was ripped out in the actual song, the "FUCK YOU, I DONT CARE" thing

Excited to hear some of those “newer” songs but sad there are no genuine unheard b-sides or goodies like that. Hopefully someone uploads the documentary and I avoided a $70 purchase for nothing lol.

• Like 3

She's A Rebel demo also sounds like it was recorded with the 3 "new" songs

1 minute ago, DookieLukie said:

Excited to hear some of those “newer” songs but sad there are no genuine unheard b-sides or goodies like that. Hopefully someone uploads the documentary and I avoided a $70 purchase for nothing lol.

Lowlife is mostly a new song

• Like 1

*SPOILERS*

- American Idiot (Alt. Version) completely different lyrics and a new short, completely different bridge, which was a nice surprise

- Novacaine and Whatsername are the same ones from the demo disc that leaked a week or two ago, just a better mix.

- Clusterbomb is Letterbomb with Warning production, slightly faster with in your face intro. I love it

- Homecoming is when the new stuff starts coming in - a lot of different short songs, parts, lyrics, a more obvious influence of A Quick One by The Who, even a hardcore punk element in Tre's song part. Overall I love it

- Everyone’s Breaking Down and Just Another Year are original songs of which core parts were later on used in Homecoming (the intro and part after Rock n Roll Girlfriend)

- Lowlife definitely heavily influenced ¡Viva la Gloria! and later on Strange Days Are Here To Stay. It's really nice

Sadly, there's no completely new or unheard songs that don't have elements of already released songs, but overall this is still absolutely awesome to hear. I love this band.

• Like 2