American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Jon Benjamin

53 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

I Will wait to know what's songs from warfield are included... If It has something different from the rest of the album like the surrender/bastards of young cover i'm going to have to buy It too

i know it has a low chance of happening but i honestly think they should showcase Take Back to show that they were still playing lesser known songs during this era (like Take Back, Coming Clean, and Misery as well although that was a different concert so i dont know if it was professionally shot at all) rather than another forgettable Basket Case segment (like BIAB)

Edited by nowshesgone
  • Love 1

Thats such a tease lol. One of the best shows from the AI era all beautifully pro shot. People have been after footage from this forever. And they won’t include it 😢 The editing though makes me believe it was being prepared at one time for a dvd release. Perhaps they were filming multiple shows that year to see what one would fit a video release. That show was also like 90 percent covers toward the end lol. Maybe it’s a licensing thing. 

• Like 3

Do you think the documentary on the Blu-ray will include English subtitles? The DVDs of Bullet in a Bible and Awesome As F**k had subtitles in various languages, but the Blu-ray versions didn’t even have English subtitles.

According to a press release, the Japanese version will include Japanese subtitles, but since it’s set to release on November 20th and costs nearly twice as much, I’m debating which one to get 😔

• Like 1

I’ve come to believe that some of these extra/unreleased songs were all or most from Money Money 20/20…I think Cigarettes and Valentines WAS that album and either the band/label didn’t think it was good enough so they had all those songs get more experimental and released it as a side project. Roshambo (10/10) Right Hand o Rama and Supermodel Robots I can see as Green Day songs that followed the trajectory of Warning. Look at Misery…that could have fit on the Network albums if there was more electronic parts…take those 14 songs away there’s Cigarettes and Valentines minus the song they possibly saved and played live on the 21st Century Breakdown tour…maybe some of AI leftovers turned into some Foxboro Hot Tubs…Pedestrian and Mother Mary could fit on Warning…I’m just frustrated that this Warfield show must have been officially recorded and as die hard fans there are so many album tracks played live “allegedly” that we will never get to hear or see. I just wish they would release or upload all these infamous shows with songs they never played live…I’d sell my soul to hear Westbound Sign live once..not counting the sound check…or (uptight/jinx/Haushinkia/Panic Song/Hold On/Misery/No Pride/Tight Wad Hill/Walking Alone/….just frustrating with so many songs we may never hear live hell even Meet Me on the Roof once or a professional recording of Grafitta. But with the amount of money AI special education is going for (I bought it like I buy everything they put out…there’s only so many times Basketcase/When I Come Around/She/Welcome To Paradise/Brainstew/Geek Stink Breath/Hitching a Ride…they can release and have people keep buying the same songs live on these special releases when they might have a treasure trove of album cuts live sitting there. I just hope when it’s time we get 21st Century Breakdown from the Fox Theatre in full released. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, billy1986 said:

I’ve come to believe that some of these extra/unreleased songs were all or most from Money Money 20/20…I think Cigarettes and Valentines WAS that album and either the band/label didn’t think it was good enough so they had all those songs get more experimental and released it as a side project. Roshambo (10/10) Right Hand o Rama and Supermodel Robots I can see as Green Day songs that followed the trajectory of Warning. Look at Misery…that could have fit on the Network albums if there was more electronic parts…take those 14 songs away there’s Cigarettes and Valentines minus the song they possibly saved and played live on the 21st Century Breakdown tour…maybe some of AI leftovers turned into some Foxboro Hot Tubs…Pedestrian and Mother Mary could fit on Warning…I’m just frustrated that this Warfield show must have been officially recorded and as die hard fans there are so many album tracks played live “allegedly” that we will never get to hear or see. I just wish they would release or upload all these infamous shows with songs they never played live…I’d sell my soul to hear Westbound Sign live once..not counting the sound check…or (uptight/jinx/Haushinkia/Panic Song/Hold On/Misery/No Pride/Tight Wad Hill/Walking Alone/….just frustrating with so many songs we may never hear live hell even Meet Me on the Roof once or a professional recording of Grafitta. But with the amount of money AI special education is going for (I bought it like I buy everything they put out…there’s only so many times Basketcase/When I Come Around/She/Welcome To Paradise/Brainstew/Geek Stink Breath/Hitching a Ride…they can release and have people keep buying the same songs live on these special releases when they might have a treasure trove of album cuts live sitting there. I just hope when it’s time we get 21st Century Breakdown from the Fox Theatre in full released. 

besides Stuck With Me, Paper Lanterns, Haushinka, Jaded and Dry Ice, id kill to see Do Da Da, Too Much Too Soon, Wasteaway, Misery, Deadbeat Holiday, Uptight, Suffocate/Desensitized, No One Knows and All The Time live
as for what songs from C&V era made it onto MM2020, I honestly believe that Roshambo was cut from C&V (with it probably being a last minute replacement for Govenator which I also believe was a MM2020 track before ending up as a B-side for American Idiot) with Spike, Hungry Hungry Models and maybe title track also being written during the C&V era and ending up on MM2020 once C&V was thrown into the can

• Like 2

This short Jesus of Suburbia demo is really interesting. I never even thought about that JoS could be something different than a multi-part song which is part of a rock opera. But maybe even more songs of AI were already part of C&V and reworked afterwards and in the end it wasn't such a big rework that I was assuming 🤔

• Like 2

The Warfield video is great, it would be great if they gave us a little gem like this every day til the release!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, nowshesgone said:

besides Stuck With Me, Paper Lanterns, Haushinka, Jaded and Dry Ice, id kill to see Do Da Da, Too Much Too Soon, Wasteaway, Misery, Deadbeat Holiday, Uptight, Suffocate/Desensitized, No One Knows and All The Time live
as for what songs from C&V era made it onto MM2020, I honestly believe that Roshambo was cut from C&V (with it probably being a last minute replacement for Govenator which I also believe was a MM2020 track before ending up as a B-side for American Idiot) with Spike, Hungry Hungry Models and maybe title track also being written during the C&V era and ending up on MM2020 once C&V was thrown into the can

Schwarzenegger announced he was running for governor Aug 6 2003. MM2020 was already listed on the adeline records website Aug 1, though not available to buy until Sep 30. The album was almost certainly being mixed and mastered if not entirely completed at that point. So Governator was probably never on MM2020, but of course it was written by the same people at around the same time so it's not a surprise it shares a vibe

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, green day is said:

Schwarzenegger announced he was running for governor Aug 6 2003. MM2020 was already listed on the adeline records website Aug 1, though not available to buy until Sep 30. The album was almost certainly being mixed and mastered if not entirely completed at that point. So Governator was probably never on MM2020, but of course it was written by the same people at around the same time so it's not a surprise it shares a vibe

didnt realize it was listed on the adeline website 5 days before Schwarzenegger announced his run
it still does feel like a network song so maybe it could have been written around the same time as Hammer of the Gods??? (granted i have no idea when Hammer of the Gods would have been recorded/written)

On 10/19/2024 at 5:04 AM, billy1986 said:

I’d sell my soul to hear Westbound Sign live once..not counting the sound check…or (uptight/jinx/Haushinkia/Panic Song/Hold On/Misery/No Pride/Tight Wad Hill/Walking Alone/….

Regarding Panic Song (which is high on my live wish list), I remember earlier this year Mike shared an Instagram story from someone who counted all the bass chord changes (or something along those lines) in the intro of Panic Song, and that person said something like "no wonder they never play this live" and in the next story Mike said they actually have played it live but only at a couple of small shows, but that it was very physically taxing on him and Trè. This story might be recorded somewhere in the Green Day Instagram thread. I guess this is why we might never get this song life.

EDIT: found the story here

But I'm with you on this though, my dream Green Day tour (now that I've heard AI in its entirety live) would be one where they play a couple songs from each album, but only non-single ones. I imagine casual listeners being confused at the end of the show, "you sure these are the guys who do Boulevard of Broken Dreams?" 😂 Will never happen, but hey dreaming is for free.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, CristhyneS said:

Regarding Panic Song (which is high on my live wish list), I remember earlier this year Mike shared an Instagram story from someone who counted all the bass chord changes (or something along those lines) in the intro of Panic Song, and that person said something like "no wonder they never play this live" and in the next story Mike said they actually have played it live but only at a couple of small shows, but that it was very physically taxing on him and Trè. This story might be recorded somewhere in the Green Day Instagram thread. I guess this is why we might never get this song life.

But I'm with you on this though, my dream Green Day tour (now that I've heard AI in its entirety live) would be one where they play a couple songs from each album, but only non-single ones. I imagine casual listeners being confused at the end of the show, "you sure these are the guys who do Boulevard of Broken Dreams?" 😂 Will never happen, but hey dreaming is for free.

imo i still feel like even if we got a tour that literally every green day song that they havent played/havent played in like 19 or so years Crush would still find a way to shove in Basket Case or Longview or Good Riddance

Edited by nowshesgone
oh dear god just 9 years isnt enough for the amount of songs that they havent played in a while
  • Haha 1

"Finally" decided and ordered the Vinyl package, even though the price is insane since we've heard most of the songs before and through the years.

The biggest miss imo is that there's no live video material (except for the BBC stuff), and that's a bit dissapointing. Would really love to see the rest of BIAB or a full random show from the era.

However, the love I have for this band and this album weighs up for that 100%. 

On 10/20/2024 at 3:08 PM, Cris. said:

I would love a tour playing only 1039/kerplunk songs... Concert in 2015 with al sobrante was the closest thing

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

12 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

I would love a tour playing only 1039/kerplunk songs... Concert in 2015 with al sobrante was the closest thing

I had no idea this had happened, so I just googled. In case anyone else is also wondering, here's a the setlist. Pretty amazing set list! :wub:

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Cris. said:

I had no idea this had happened, so I just googled. In case anyone else is also wondering, here's a the setlist. Pretty amazing set list! :wub:

The House of Blues show is something that really is a legendary show, and should at some point be released in it's entirety!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Cris. said:

Also costa rica gig in 2010 had the same flow

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Also costa rica gig in 2010 had the same flow

Costa Rica 2010 is legendary. Actually, I think the whole South American leg of 21CBD tour was absolutely epic. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My theory is that Just Another Year -- most likely the same song as Lately (One More Year), atlhough in a earlier or later version -- will turn out to be what eventually became Xmas Time of the Year (2015).

That's one of my "bets", atleast. But we'ill see about that in a few days. 

Any other suggestions for what the songs could be, now when we're only a few days away from the release? 

Edited by Dysfunco
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dysfunco said:

My theory is that Just Another Year -- most likely the same song as Lately (One More Year), atlhough in a earlier or later version -- will turn out to be what eventually became Xmas Time of the Year (2015).

Any other suggestions for what the songs could be, now when we're only a few days away from the release? 

Everyone IS breaking down could be 21st century breakdown ? Muy betvis that they Will be Jesús of suburbia missing parts with different lyrics

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dysfunco said:

listening to the song in who knows how long, it could kinda fit the C&V/AI sound. Kinda sounds like parts of homecoming. I think it's most likely just the JOS songs, but longer with parts that didn't make it in, but we'll see. I hope I am surprised though. If homecoming has an extra song in it, imagine if it's some song we already know from a later album and realize, wait this song was part of homecoming? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elxufinnishidiot said:

listening to the song in who knows how long, it could kinda fit the C&V/AI sound. Kinda sounds like parts of homecoming. I think it's most likely just the JOS songs, but longer with parts that didn't make it in, but we'll see. I hope I am surprised though. If homecoming has an extra song in it, imagine if it's some song we already know from a later album and realize, wait this song was part of homecoming? 

I know it's weak as hell but:

1) He actually sings "And another year" in the chorus. The word "year" is frequently used in the song and you can see how it would've been kept for the rhythm to work, even in a re-worked version of the song. The Xmas song would be a good fit in that sense.

2) Similarities between the song titles; the unreleased Lately (One More Year), Just Another Year (AI 20th Anniversary demo) and Xmas time of the Year. How often has "year" even been used in a song title?

3) Similar enough lengths too, I guess, given that the tempo isn't necessarily a 100% match or some parts has changed.

It might very well turn out to be wrong, though. Well, it's likely even. But it would be pretty neat if it's not... :D 

6 hours ago, Dysfunco said:

i agree with you with Lately One More Year being Just Another Year (but only weezer would squander a demo like that and turn it into a christmas song sadly, although its obviously the fault of crush not rivers)
i do think Everyones Breaking Down could be an early title for Horseshoes and Handgrenades (out of all of the songs on that B-side disk its the only one that im not sure of being an AI or C&V song) and Lowlife is not connected at all to C&V and is instead something else entirely or is the Black Eyeliner of AI20 (AKA a song that was later reused to build another part of a song)