American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Jon Benjamin

21 minutes ago, billy1986 said:

So far the nimrod and insomniac anniversaries to me were more exciting…so many of these new or unheard AI songs have already been released (shoplifter/favorite son/govemator) and some of the soon to be live songs have already been released as well….looking forward to 21st Century Breakdown anniversary addition that should be interesting 

True although a bit of a wait for 20th in 2029.

Warning's 20th is next year which could be interesting. Remember the limited edition of Warning included cd ROM and 64 page photo book in black and white. Maybe reissue latter for wider audience.

And maybe something more substantial for Insomniac's 30th next year, following the 2 vinyl disc, studio and live tracks, release for 25th?

• Like 1

I thought the demo of Jesus of Suburbia was pretty cool. It was just a short and complete version of the first part

I bet there won't be any boxsets for warning or insomniac they only did nimrod because of good riddance and dookie and american idiot albums the general public are aware of

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nopride84 said:

I bet there won't be any boxsets for warning or insomniac they only did nimrod because of good riddance and dookie and american idiot albums the general public are aware of

Agree. Dookie, nimrod american idiot and 21st century breakdown are their iconic albums...the rest Will no have box sets... But maybe like insomniac 25... An extra CD with live versions of that tour

3 hours ago, nopride84 said:

yes, but money

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

yes, but money

Dammit. They do love their money. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, redline punk said:

I thought the demo of Jesus of Suburbia was pretty cool. It was just a short and complete version of the first part

It's a B-side version of jesus of suburbia

Honestly my favourite demo so far since it is an actually different depiction of Jesus of Suburbia. Sort of like what it'd be if it was on C&V, as in a short and sweet song in a rougher mix. I also might be overthinking but the ending to it sounds like the exact same to the starting riff of the actual song, but maybe Billie just plays that tight that they're not actually the same.

• Like 4

The JoS demo was neat! Loved the ending!

• Like 1

I'm so happy that JoS turned into a 10min song.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Saviour said:

They dropped "3 new songs" from the deluxe. Which? 

Was one Shoplifter which has been out for 20 years? 😆

Like the other demos from this release, absolutely whelmed by the JoS one. Sonically it sounds very similar again. Pretty sure it's the same drum take that made it into the final version and they've done pickups for the ending section. Same for the majority of the guitars. 

The only interesting thing about it was the chord not going to an F after the second drum fill which was a curve ball after 20 years of listening to it.

They're hardly "demos" in the way that we got with Demolicious. These are just unfinished versions of the final releases. 

No way are they unfinished versions, so many of the takes on all of these demos are sloppy as hell. I’m only familiar with the production world post 2010ish, but I’d imagine in 2004, they’d probably redo a take than fix timing of multiple tracks 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jon Benjamin said:

No way are they unfinished versions, so many of the takes on all of these demos are sloppy as hell. I’m only familiar with the production world post 2010ish, but I’d imagine in 2004, they’d probably redo a take than fix timing of multiple tracks 

DAWs, editing and quantizing was industry standard in 2004.

These dudes aren't laying takes down onto DAT or reel-to-reel.

That doesn't mean to say I'm right of course. But still, my point is it sounds very similar. Definitely from the same sessions and not different enough to be very interesting at all IMO. 

I hope to be proved wrong, but at the moment this edition is sounding like an absolute rinse for the absurd prices some people have paid. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Saviour said:

DAWs, editing and quantizing was industry standard in 2004.

These dudes aren't laying takes down onto DAT or reel-to-reel.

That doesn't mean to say I'm right of course. But still, my point is it sounds very similar. Definitely from the same sessions and not different enough to be very interesting at all IMO. 

I hope to be proved wrong, but at the moment this edition is sounding like an absolute rinse for the absurd prices some people have paid. 

I suspect all the demos are going to sound this polished and similar

• Like 1

I liked hearing this as a shorter song but these demos overall are not that interesting. Got to give fans more to pay $100 for something like this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saviour said:

"Pretty sure it's the same drum take that made it into the final version and they've done pickups for the ending section."

It's not even the same drum rhythm/beat. Tré plays it different to the final song.

It's clearly not musiscians coming up with comments like this... That's for sure 😪

• Like 3

I bet they’re using the final demos than the beginning formation demos 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2024 at 8:07 AM, redline punk said:

I felt the same way. It would really be interesting to know the story of how it went from this into the 10-minute final version.

I wasn't aware of the duration of Jesus demo, but this time I find it interesting. Like the other demos, many things sounds like the final released versions, but there are bits that I like.

Now looking at the duration of the full tracklist, Homecoming must contain all the songs, but Jesus only has Jesus. The other songs were composed in the studio then?

• Thanks 1