American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Jon Benjamin

7 hours ago, JoooSeee_ECDL said:

You can reserve in Spain (where I'm from) for 64€ (49 + 15).

https://www.d2fy.es/products/green-day-4cd-blu-ray-vinilo-rojo-splatter-american-idiot-20th-anniversary-deluxe-edition

It's not more cheaper, but you can save some money

If you are from France, there's an little "offer" to the CD boxset through fnac. 63€

https://www.fnac.com/a20796809/Green-Day-American-Idiot-20th-Anniversary-Edition-Deluxe-Limitee-Coffret-CD-album

And for European people interested on vinyl box set and / or red splatter vinyl, you can order from fnac France too for 166€ and 37€ respectively, plus 4€ for shipment (at least happened to me for Spain)

Red vinyl splatter:

https://www.fnac.com/a20796810/Green-Day-American-Idiot-20th-Anniversary-Edition-Deluxe-Limitee-Vinyle-Rouge-et-Noir-Vinyle-album

Vinyl Box set:

https://www.fnac.com/a20796808/Green-Day-American-Idiot-20th-Anniversary-Edition-Deluxe-Limitee-Vinyle-Colore-Coffret-Vinyle-album

Ah, which I had know that/thought about that before ordering from their site! Thanks for the tip! 

19 minutes ago, CristhyneS said:

Ah, which I had know that/thought about that before ordering from their site! Thanks for the tip! 

You're welcome 😄 Sorry, I suposed that you don't visited other sites apart from the band's store 🙃 While as you have reserved the box set... it's what matters 😎😎

4 hours ago, Insomniac186 said:

I'll be curious to see the credits of these demos. I agree with others that the quality is too good to be demo recordings, but they are definitely not rough mixes of the original songs either. Some of the vocal melodies/lyric pronunciation is slightly different, and I noticed on Holiday there was a different drum part that was not on the original. I think these may actually be different "takes" from the album sessions and were given rough mixes. Or perhaps these were serious takes recorded at Studio 880/Jingletown and were re-done when they went to Ocean Way. Again, I'll need to see what the actual credits say.

Something doesn’t have to sound like shit or be completely different to be a demo. Mike has definitely said before that a ton of work went into this album right down to the demos. 

• Like 2

And that Billie sometimes brings demos that sounded almost ready to go.

• Like 1

She's...a radio baghdad / in a radio baghdad / and she can't seem to radio baghdad 

Man,  I was hoping for more unheard songs.    Hopefully we haven't heard a single note from Breaking Down, Another Year and Lowlife.   They could be Homecoming, Xmas Time of Year and Take the Money and Crawl.   How mad would you be?    Mad enough to get that petition taken seriously?   :)

Album 15's gonna be American Idiot part 2.    Maybe. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idiot#Track_listing

I am curious as to the plot twists that could happen on the songs between Homecoming and Whatshername.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, monkeyupinspace said:

off-topic but i don't really get why some people don't understand why there's still demand for cigarettes & valentines.

sure, very well we (maybe) heard most of the songs from that album reworked on other records but, the big reason for me is that i want to hear these tracks/demos/whatever (if they exist) in their original form. give them to me like they're coming straight out of 2002/2003.

would be cool, maybe for the warning anniversary, maybe as a standalone, maybe in another dookade. 

I can't speak for others, but in my case it's because I don't think that album ever existed. I said it here back when we first heard about it and I still think so, I think it was a joke, possibly a gag that was supposed to link with their farce feud with The Network, but never carried through or paid off.

Realistically speaking, we're talking about an album that was completed and given a name, then it got "stolen", there was one copy.. in the early 2000's! I mean in 1960's or 70's maybe something like that could happen, although it would still indicate gross negligence eligible for lawsuits, Green Day didn't have their own studio back then, so the idea that they invested time and money for however many month to complete recording at a studio would be pricey and near-devastating, especially to the Green Day of post-Warning/pre-American Idiot era.

Although, it would be very neat if it had been true and we can hear it one day like you said.

16 minutes ago, That Dude said:

She's...a radio baghdad / in a radio baghdad / and she can't seem to radio baghdad 

Man,  I was hoping for more unheard songs.    Hopefully we haven't heard a single note from Breaking Down, Another Year and Lowlife.   They could be Homecoming, Xmas Time of Year and Take the Money and Crawl.   How mad would you be?    Mad enough to get that petition taken seriously?   :)

Album 15's gonna be American Idiot part 2.    Maybe. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idiot#Track_listing

I am curious as to the plot twists that could happen on the songs between Homecoming and Whatshername.  

Same here, very much so. I geeked out on the concept of that album like no other back then lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lenny said:

C&V sessions and AI sessions were separate recording sessions. The first in 2002-2003 and second being 2004. However, we know the B-sides are confirmed C&V songs.

Which means these demos are more likely to be true AI session songs. The only skeptical moment for me was “Just Another Year”, C&V had a song called “Lately (one more year)” I believe. Similar concepts and as you can tell they hadn’t solidified song names till later (radio Baghdad, are we, we are, novocaine).

They lost a good opp to do a double re-release with AI&CV. Maybe one day… 

This is why we need clarity on the B Sides disc that was leaked, it showed C&V as a song demo on that. This is my reasoning on why I feel like they should at least show off that song, as they already have on the live album as well. It just makes sense, but it is what it is and I'm sure they have a plan for that at some stage.

Maybe one day in the far future after we get a reissue for all the major studio albums we can get a compilation to cover the years between Warning and AI. I was recently going through the old phone message songs and having higher quality versions of Minnesota Girl and Why Does It Always Rain on Me would be nice 

Probably a large part of the reason it wasn’t included is that C&V isn’t widely known in the general public much less do they care. This is a release meant to solidify their legacy, not educate normies about a mostly forgotten chapter of Green Day lore. 

• Like 4

For some reason on Amazon.ca it says the artist of the album is My Chemical Romance. And then I go onto the artist page of MCR and it says they also made Dookie, Saviors, and several other GD albums. So strange,

• Like 1

Reading through this thread, I can’t tell if anyone actually likes this AI 20 release or not. Doesn’t feel very popular for such a renowned album! Peace n  love!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suffoKate said:

Reading through this thread, I can’t tell if anyone actually likes this AI 20 release or not. Doesn’t feel very popular for such a renowned album! Peace n  love!

I do, I think lots do but as ever, we want more (well some do).  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, suffoKate said:

Almost everything was realased except demos that sound very similar to album tracks... Maybe 'the vault' was no so full for this album than for dookie

• Like 3

On 8/10/2024 at 8:19 PM, Met Fan said:

Pre-ordered mine! Very excited to have this, mainly because this album is very near and dear to me.

HOWEVER

1. I wish they had included the original footage that Heart Like a Hand Grenade was made from before John Roecker turned it into some senseless pretentious art project. I waited for this for years, to get an insight into the recording of American Idiot and laying down the basic tracks, etc. only to be super disappointed with the film we got. And now we're getting the same thing again, while we know much more footage was shot at the studio rehearsal space and the control room. This was a great chance to make a documentary of it.

Are GD and Roecker still on good terms? Thought i read they don’t talk anymore 

the issue for that is if Roecker is apart of the directors guild only Roecker would be allowed to make any changes to HLAHG or make anything out of the extra footage 

2 hours ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Almost everything was realased except demos that sound very similar to album tracks... Maybe 'the vault' was no so full for this album than for dookie

Or maybe they’re just holding stuff back for potential 25th/30th anniversary’s 

6 hours ago, suffoKate said:

I do like it! I think it's just the different people are excited about different things. I'm very excited about the second documentary, I am very excited about having American Idiot (just as it was released 20 years ago) again, since I had to part ways with my original copies (yes I bought that album twice after my first copy of the CD got scratched from overuse lol). I am also very excited to see what those unknown songs between Homecoming and Whatsername might be and the possibility of them being part of the AI story arch. I also want to have those pictures and whatever artwork they are including the booklet (really hoping the original artwork is included, for the reason stated above).

The rest of it I'm neither hyped nor disappointed by, I'm just indifferent to it because that is a me-thing. For instance, I am not a music nerd (I'm quite the opposite of it, and have zero ear or talent for music, wish I did, but hey that's life), so the demo's are not a selling point for me. I'm glad they are there for the people who love that type of stuff. The live shows, I don't really care. I think the only way I'd be hyped about them releasing footage from a live show would be if it was one the shows I have attended. But I'm happy they are there for people who are really into that.

I'm sure there are people here who are the opposite, and don't care too much the documentary or the idea of getting more details about the AI story arch, but are very hyped about the demo's or the live shows. Something for every taste :)

As for C&V... I don't buy the story that it was stolen. If it had been it would have been leaked the minute that AI got huge. So either they were recording some songs, then came up with the idea of AI as a concept album and decided not to use those songs and then they got recycled in future albums, B-sides and side projects, so we have effectively heard anything worth listening to from those sessions. Or they felt very unsatisfied with it, and decided to scrap it altogether, in which case I'm happy to abide by their decision that we don't need to hear those songs because they are not good enough for them. Basically, I think we have heard every thing that was worth releasing from those songs. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4

I know I keep harping on about this but on the topic of is there excitement for this release the fact that I can’t play the blu-rays has dampened my excitement considerably.  That combined with the fact that instead of unheard songs they’re just rereleasing songs like Governator and Shoplifter and I don’t think I’ll be spending $70+ for this set just for a bunch of buttons and a patch. I have major FOMO over missing this new documentary which is the only part of the set that’s worthwhile to me

• Like 1

Do you think that the documentary will only be available on blu-ray in this release? Will be available in a alternative format in the future (dvd alone, streaming platform, etc.)? 

• Like 1

@pacejunkie punk I’m sure it’ll wind up in your inbox somehow, fret not. 

But it wouldn’t shock me if it wound up on streaming / VOD at some point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you think there will be stock problems with this thing?

I ask this because as soon as I saw this on Amazon I preo-ordered it (the same day it was announced), but I’ve had problems in the past with amazon letting more pre-orders that they actually could sell and I ended up not getting what I bought. Mainly movies and a videogame here and there, but still.

So I pre-ordered on the official store and now I have 2 pre-orders. I would prefer to keep the Amazon one because of the price and delivery efficiency, but I don’t want to risk it.

Also, I have seen some comments in twitter these past days like ‘oh it sold out!’, ‘oh nevermind it’s back in store’ or ‘It’s still available in this particular store’ but I have never seen a ‘not-available’ message anywhere and I’ve been checking daily since it was announced.

18 hours ago, suffoKate said:

I am definitely going to buy it, and will carefully study it as I've studied my book version and standard cd versions over the years.  I just feel like these things are not exactly what fans want, or at the very least not what  I want.   Green Day demos aren't demos, they sound almost exactly the same as the final song.   And recorded versions of live songs is just complete garbage to me.   I'd rather have the original album plus 6-8 bsides and that's it.  I'd happily pay the same price for that versus all this fluffy stuff.   But I understand why they aren't releasing a ton of bsides.  If it's good enough to let the world hear it, it has potential be a full flerdged song or even a hit single one day - so it's gonna stay locked up until it's either ready, or it becomes part of a cigerettes and valentines type album that wasn't good enough to begin with. 

Anywho.   Ballyhoo.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pucky said:

Do you think there will be stock problems with this thing?

I ask this because as soon as I saw this on Amazon I preo-ordered it (the same day it was announced), but I’ve had problems in the past with amazon letting more pre-orders that they actually could sell and I ended up not getting what I bought. Mainly movies and a videogame here and there, but still.

So I pre-ordered on the official store and now I have 2 pre-orders. I would prefer to keep the Amazon one because of the price and delivery efficiency, but I don’t want to risk it.

Also, I have seen some comments in twitter these past days like ‘oh it sold out!’, ‘oh nevermind it’s back in store’ or ‘It’s still available in this particular store’ but I have never seen a ‘not-available’ message anywhere and I’ve been checking daily since it was announced.

Considering that Nimrod and Dookie deluxe editions are still readily available, no.

Are you getting the vinyl or cd version?

Is the album expected to the remastered or just the regular album being released again?

4 hours ago, That Dude said:

I am definitely going to buy it, and will carefully study it as I've studied my book version and standard cd versions over the years.  I just feel like these things are not exactly what fans want, or at the very least not what  I want.   Green Day demos aren't demos, they sound almost exactly the same as the final song.   And recorded versions of live songs is just complete garbage to me.   I'd rather have the original album plus 6-8 bsides and that's it.  I'd happily pay the same price for that versus all this fluffy stuff.   But I understand why they aren't releasing a ton of bsides.  If it's good enough to let the world hear it, it has potential be a full flerdged song or even a hit single one day - so it's gonna stay locked up until it's either ready, or it becomes part of a cigerettes and valentines type album that wasn't good enough to begin with. 

Anywho.   Ballyhoo.  

Green Day Dookie demos wins when it comes to Green Day Demos. 2nd will be demolicious.

I find myself weirded out on how come i liked the demolicious more than the trilogy but prefers the studio version of holiday/blvd of broken dreams than the demo version. 

• Like 2