American Idiot 20th Anniversary Announcement + Holiday/BoBD Demo out Friday!

Jon Benjamin

My box set was just delivered, right after I got home from work 😎, I got the cd version but kind of think it would’ve been cooler to get the vinyls for this set.  Mostly for the big bookelet, but this is still an awesome package!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jengd said:

Watched the doc! It’s very good though there is footage from BIAB and HLAHG in it, there is also great footage from the Warfield show, some recent chat with the boys in Otis (way too little imo) and some wild and hilarious stuff from the tour, very enjoyable, need to see it again.

What footage from BIAB is in the doc? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fatherotti said:

More audiophile babble: Only available in 24bit 192khz from HDtracks....  Weird. Qobuz has it but only in 16/44. 😒

Check the audio files using spek exe if those audio are really 192khz or above 48kHZ atleast

3 hours ago, bastard of young said:

The AI Alternate version sounds like it was written/recorded before Billie Joe went to NY in late 02/early 03, with how different the lyrics were. I remember reading that he had written the song prior to the trip, and a lot of the songs on the album he ended up writing while walking around the city, so maybe that was the original version he wrote, and came up with the new lyrics/direction of the album while there. Idk. I'm probably very wrong on that.

Also, some of the songs sound like they might've been originally considered for Cigarettes and Valentines before getting scrapped and rewritten. Radio Baghdad, Lowlife, Novacaine, Everyone's Falling Down, Just Another Year, all sound like continuations from Warning. Just my opinion/theory, but probably wrong. Again.

Regardless, I'm loving the demos! They sound great. I need to order the physical album when I get the money.

I really really don't want to argue but to this day I'm still pretty sure C&V was Money Money 2020. I think American Idiot was always supposed to sound like how it sounds. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I really really don't want to argue but to this day I'm still pretty sure C&V was Money Money 2020. I think American Idiot was always supposed to sound like how it sounds. 

zero percent chance, maybe a song or two made it’s way there but Green Day was not writing an album about robots.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

well there were some the network song snippet  that can be heard from green day phone messages .

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, She-Loves-Him said:

omg I love Lowlife

This song is on repeat since this morning. I wanna cry.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, billy1986 said:

Also the new documentary any full performances of rare or never heard/seen GD songs?? 

No, but great footage from the Warfield show.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I think the same... Not realistic composing and recording two albums of different projects in 2002-2003

2 minutes ago, jengd said:

No, but great footage from the Warfield show.

Surrender/bastards of young in included?

7 hours ago, jengd said:

Watched the doc! It’s very good though there is footage from BIAB and HLAHG in it, there is also great footage from the Warfield show, some recent chat with the boys in Otis (way too little imo) and some wild and hilarious stuff from the tour, very enjoyable, need to see it again.

Does the documentary have English subtitles?

8 hours ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

Lots of epic footage from The Warfield in the documentary, the full songs too! (including Homecoming)

Can you put the list of the warfield songs included please?

16 hours ago, billy1986 said:

Was there any explanation as to what the fallout between Rob and the band was about?

Sorry if I’ve missed a reply, still catching up but in the booklet Rob says he was away from a Warners with Disney for a few years, there’s no mention of anything being wrong, in fact I think he says he and Billie still spoke regularly about songs.

15 hours ago, suffoKate said:

Do you collect the CDs or wax?

CDs

To me it looks like most of the American Idiot songs were already on Cigarettes and Valentines. But then they rewrote some parts to make a cohesive story out if it, rerecorded and rebranded it. So today I think that these two albums are way more similar than I thought they would be. And so it makes sense that Mike said that we already heard most of the C&V songs, because most of them were already released on AI.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, billy1986 said:

Anyone know what songs are played live/shown in full in the new dvd?

Sounds mad but I’ve watched and listened to so much in last 24 hours, I think Letterbomb and JOS, All By Myself but was there another one?! Too excited to take note 😂😂

It sucks that we can't watch the documentary if we can't afford the vinyl set. Should have considered us poorer fans. But other than that no complaints about the release (other than wanting C&V as a companion piece maybe)

8 hours ago, Jankowski576 said:

zero percent chance, maybe a song or two made it’s way there but Green Day was not writing an album about robots.

I agree that its basically zero change, however I always like comments like these, like it would all revolve around the lyrics. It's words, they can be changed/replaced. You could have whole bunch of songs you make a very non-Green Day production on and write some new weird new lyrics to during a couple of weeks. It's not more complex than that.

But yeah, in any case, C&V is not likely to share DNA with The Network. Some of the Foxboro Hot Tubs songs, at the other hand, is not only more likely  -- but also pretty much confirmed.

During my own research the last year or so, I came to the  conclusion that C&V most likely were more "Warning 2" than people seem to think. The information shared by the band in AI 20th Anniversary confirms this, callng it a "power pop" album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jengd said:

Sounds mad but I’ve watched and listened to so much in last 24 hours, I think Letterbomb and JOS, All By Myself but was there another one?! Too excited to take note 😂😂

Dominated Love Slave as well 😅 And Homecoming, Give me Novacaine and I think Holiday and St Jimmy? 

But yes, like you said, listened and watched to too much stuff😂

I really liked the documentary. That part with Jason being passed out - poor guy 😂

And I'm so fucking in love with the demos. Lowlife! That song is just beautiful 😍 

Edited by Susi Sour cream
Typo
  • Like 1