Green Day Books

Undómiel

I'm currently reading Nobody Likes You by Marc Spitz, and I've read Cometbus, and Rebels With A Cause by Gaar. 

Are there any other biographies out there? Or books that have good sections on the band (or even the East Bay Punk Scene)? 

Also, NLY and RWAC were both published in the mid-00s. Does anyone know of any GD books that cover their post AI career? 

(As an author, my mind is now buzzing like... shall fucking write one? No... that's stupid right? Right?) 

• Like 2

Larry Livermore’s two books are worth a read about the Lookout years. Not sure what’s out there that covers post-AI though

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Highly, highly recommend this for the Bay Area scene, including Green Day.

https://www.amazon.com/Gimme-Something-Better-Progressive-Occasionally/dp/0143113801

5 minutes ago, kybry13 said:

I've heard lots of good things about Sellout by Dan Ozzi, which features a chapter on Green Day. I haven't read it myself but I've heard lots of interviews and podcast eps with the author and he seems like he knows his stuff. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0063269147/?coliid=I3B55175NUNNYZ&colid=23WX7YE52D718&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Will put them on my list! 

I know Billie Joe isn't *big* on writing (besides songwriting) but I'd love for him to do an autobiography, or to have a AB ghost written, or done through a series of interviews. It'd be fucking amazeballs. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Undómiel said:

I know Billie Joe isn't *big* on writing (besides songwriting) but I'd love for him to do an autobiography, or to have a AB ghost written, or done through a series of interviews. It'd be fucking amazeballs. 

Not technically a biography, but he has something pretty similar. In 2021 he did an audiobook/podcast for Audible's Words + Music series, which features a basic run through of his life, the writing process of each album, and then in between there's acoustic renditions of Green Day songs. It's an extremely insightful and neat listen. Super enjoyable if you're a fan of Billie. It used to be on YouTube but I think it got taken down. It's on Audible if you have that, but if you not, you can find it on greenday.fm for free (scroll down and find the section entitled "Welcome to My Panic (2021)")

https://greenday.fm/audio/limited-releases/

I also wish BJA would write a book, it would be super awesome. 

• Like 3

Just want to add that Nobody Likes You is an amazing book. One of the few times I was totally enthralled in a book. I loved the way he wrote and the stories he told. Very highly recommend for any fans who haven't read it. 

• Like 2

Also, one last suggestion, but there's also the book "Green Day: Photographs" by Bob Gruen. It's not really a book you read, it's mostly just pictures of the band, but it is extremely cool. It has photos of the band throughout the years, from live shows and all sorts of stuff. It does also have some background information about the photos and where they were taken and all that cool stuff, written by Bob Gruen (the photographer) and the rest of the band. I bought it when it came out and I still love to look through it every so often. 

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Day-Photographs-Bob-Gruen/dp/1419734806

3 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Just want to add that Nobody Likes You is an amazing book. One of the few times I was totally enthralled in a book. I loved the way he wrote and the stories he told. Very highly recommend for any fans who haven't read it. 

I've owned it for a while now (since like middle school) but I never got around to finishing it. I think I tried reading it in like seventh grade and never finished it. I really need to check it out again ever since I got back into reading. Thanks for reminding me to dig it up and read it already!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Undómiel said:

(As an author, my mind is now buzzing like... shall fucking write one? No... that's stupid right? Right?) 

Definitely not stupid. Only way things are created are by those who want to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kybry13 said:

Not technically a biography, but he has something pretty similar. In 2021 he did an audiobook/podcast for Audible's Words + Music series, which features a basic run through of his life, the writing process of each album, and then in between there's acoustic renditions of Green Day songs. It's an extremely insightful and neat listen. Super enjoyable if you're a fan of Billie. It used to be on YouTube but I think it got taken down. It's on Audible if you have that, but if you not, you can find it on greenday.fm for free (scroll down and find the section entitled "Welcome to My Panic (2021)")

I will have to check that out, it sounds great!! 

2 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I've literally just finished it. It's 3.45am in the UK and I can't sleep, so I stayed awake reading it. Very engaging and with plenty of detail. 

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Definitely not stupid. Only way things are created are by those who want to. 

Well I guess there is that saying in the creative community (and elsewhere): "If you want something doing, you have to do it yourself..." 😅

Just got done with Cometbus 54, a really fun read, lots of great anecdotes/behind the scenes talk. Didn’t care to much for Aaron’s thoughts on Asia as a whole, but it’s about 65/70% green day related stuff so no big deal.

For anyone who’s read both how does Nobody Likes You Compare? I’m not to bothered about a full history lesson, but all the tour setup stuff, different dynamics and relationships was really interesting in Cometbus. Is there much of that?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 2:38 AM, kybry13 said:

I had no idea this existed! 🤯 I missed so much during my ten-year Green Day sabbatical. I must check this out now. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Seanz25 said:

Just got done with Cometbus 54, a really fun read, lots of great anecdotes/behind the scenes talk. Didn’t care to much for Aaron’s thoughts on Asia as a whole, but it’s about 65/70% green day related stuff so no big deal.

For anyone who’s read both how does Nobody Likes You Compare? I’m not to bothered about a full history lesson, but all the tour setup stuff, different dynamics and relationships was really interesting in Cometbus. Is there much of that?

It’s a different thing because NLY was written by a journalist and Cometbus is a personal friend. He has the kind of access and insight no journalist does so you can’t really compare them. I will say for a journalist written bio, NLY is one of the better ones, because he did interview friends and family members, but also I found there to be some pretty glaring factual errors too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It’s a different thing because NLY was written by a journalist and Cometbus is a personal friend. He has the kind of access and insight no journalist does so you can’t really compare them. I will say for a journalist written bio, NLY is one of the better ones, because he did interview friends and family members, but also I found there to be some pretty glaring factual errors too.

Factual errors such as? 

(This isn't a dig, I just wanna know - I've just read it, so I don't wanna be remembering false information!) 

😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Undómiel said:

Factual errors such as? 

(This isn't a dig, I just wanna know - I've just read it, so I don't wanna be remembering false information!) 

😊

I haven’t looked at it in a while but I seem to remember they had Mike’s birthday or year wrong (saying he was born in 1975 or something) and other stuff about those early years.

• Like 1

Cometbus was great although, from memory, as a read it quite a while ago... I found Aaron to be a bit preachy and holier-than-thou at times, but obviously very insightful and interesting author. Great patter, and obvious good relationship with the band which provides a unique perspective. 

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

I haven’t looked at it in a while but I seem to remember they had Mike’s birthday or year wrong (saying he was born in 1975 or something) and other stuff about those early years.

Ah okay. Yeah, that's not great 😅 an editor should definitely have caught those sort of things 😅

5 hours ago, Undómiel said:

Cometbus was great although, from memory, as a read it quite a while ago... I found Aaron to be a bit preachy and holier-than-thou at times, but obviously very insightful and interesting author. Great patter, and obvious good relationship with the band which provides a unique perspective. 

Yeah he's quite preachy for sure, there's a lot of filler too, if it's not tour anecdotes, it's basically Aaron going to venue, thinking he won't get lost walking astray, getting lost, having a few reflective thoughts and then finding his way back to said venue in the nick of time, rinse, repeat lol.   

One thing of interest, Aaron mentions that there was two photographers with them during the tour, supposedly producing a big coffee book picture book, did anything ever come of that?

This one isn't strictly about Green Day, but there is a large section about them:

Smash!: Green Day, The Offspring, Bad Religion, NOFX, and the '90s Punk Explosion 

https://www.amazon.com/Smash-Green-Offspring-Religion-Explosion/dp/0306902745

I highly recommend this one. It's a great look at the pop punk explosion of the 90s. 

• Like 3

I agree with @pacejunkie punk about the errors in NLY, I think there have been surprising errors in all the books I have read.  Also agree with @The Grohl about Smash!  I need to get my books out and check for others but I know  I have Green Day The Secret History by Alan Cross which if I remember was a little weird and Green Day Rebels with A Cause by Gillian Gaar.  Also, Bodies by Ian Winwood is an interesting read though Green Day are only mentioned.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jengd said:

I agree with @pacejunkie punk about the errors in NLY, I think there have been surprising errors in all the books I have read.  Also agree with @The Grohl about Smash!  I need to get my books out and check for others but I know  I have Green Day The Secret History by Alan Cross which if I remember was a little weird and Green Day Rebels with A Cause by Gillian Gaar.  Also, Bodies by Ian Winwood is an interesting read though Green Day are only mentioned.

I thought the name Alan Cross sounded familiar...I listen to his Ongoing History of New Music Podcast! I remember him mentioning he wrote books as well. How is his Green Day one?

The other books I have that I haven't read yet are Rebels with A Cause by Gillian Gaar and The story of Green Day by Doug Small. I also have Green Day Rising: Before the Dookie Flew - it was okay.

• Like 2

I think the Alan Cross one is pretty weird.  It’s either very simply, or badly, written depending on your point of view.  It’s very short but possibly a little adoring in places if I remember rightly. 😂 Been trying to get Green Day Rising in Uk but not having much luck so far.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jengd said:

I think the Alan Cross one is pretty weird.  It’s either very simply, or badly, written depending on your point of view.  It’s very short but possibly a little adoring in places if I remember rightly. 😂 Been trying to get Green Day Rising in Uk but not having much luck so far.

You know, I'm not surprised :lol: his podcast is pretty straight forward and bare bones music history and he sometimes has incorrect information, so it doesn't shock me that he's not the best writer. Bless his heart.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Montclare said:

This and the show us your stash post made me think about how many Green Day books I have.  I'd say a lot. :lol:

JnItqtp.jpg

Oh wow. Do want. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Montclare said:

This and the show us your stash post made me think about how many Green Day books I have.  I'd say a lot. :lol:

JnItqtp.jpg

I'm taking notes on the ones I don't have yet :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1