Green Day to play All Things Live in Dubai UAE in January 2025

pacejunkie punk

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I still think by that logic they shouldn’t play Texas or Florida because of the laws violating the human rights of pregnant people. 

I think if they legally weren't allowed to say something about that on stage if they wanted in Texas or Florida that would apply. That's the difference to me, if it directly affects the artist's performance.

1 hour ago, Westerberg89 said:

Missing my point completely. You can't act all righteous & make out that they should boycott the show, when you yourself won't speak out against the religion which rules the area.

You'll stand there and call out Christianity & how bad you think it is, but you won't do the same about the most oppressive, far right religion, currently out there. These countries are the way they are, because they put their religion at the forefront of everything. What it says in their holy book, is what they are governed by. 'Attacking people' ? what exactly do you think you're doing when you call out other religions? You don't think that you're attacking somebody when you call out Christianity?

Laughable really.

Green Day can play wherever the hell they want, but i'm still against islamic laws & the religion itself because it opposes everything that I stand for. But i'm happy to call the religion for what it is. And I ain't gonna stand here & call for half assed boycotts like some on here. If you're gonna do it, do it properly....

Nobody's doing any of the things you're accusing them of. Nobody has even brought up let alone called out Christianity, the only thing that's been called out is UAE's Islamic based laws. Boycotting a country because a lot of people in the country follow a particular religion would be stupid and bigoted. I don't think anyone's even calling for a boycott anyway, just questioning the decision to play (and contibute to the economy of) a country with some major human rights issues that conflict with the band's message/songs, and where their show will be subject to censorship laws.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

I think if they legally weren't allowed to say something about that on stage if they wanted in Texas or Florida that would apply. That's the difference to me, if it directly affects the artist's performance.

Nobody's doing any of the things you're accusing them of. Nobody has even brought up let alone called out Christianity, the only thing that's been called out is UAE's Islamic based laws. Boycotting a country because a lot of people in the country follow a particular religion would be stupid and bigoted. I don't think anyone's even calling for a boycott anyway, just questioning the decision to play (and contibute to the economy of) a country with some major human rights issues that conflict with the band's message/songs, and where their show will be subject to censorship laws.

It wouldn’t be bigoted to call out a bigoted religion though. 

3 hours ago, Westerberg89 said:

It wouldn’t be bigoted to call out a bigoted religion though. 

It simply isn't what the discussion is about

20 hours ago, Hermione said:

It simply isn't what the discussion is about

Y’all have a problem with them playing a country that has a questionable human rights record, but won’t dare speak out against the reason for the poor record. 

It’s because of a far right, oppressive, violent religion. That’s the reason for poor human rights issues.

I know some of you are very passionate about this topic, but this is getting out of hand. I don't agree with the rights in Dubai either, but just let them play their fucking show.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Westerberg89 said:

It’s because of a far right, oppressive, violent religion. That’s the reason for poor human rights issues.

And? The reason that isn't being discussed is it isn't the topic of discussion

On 5/6/2024 at 12:08 PM, Hermione said:

Kind of lame to play a country that oppresses LGBT+ and women to that extent and is built on slave labour tbh. If nothing else it seems like a terrible PR move

But this 'isn't the topic of conversation'. 

I'm not trying to be contrarian by the way & I'm not trying to anger you & you seem like a cool person, I just don't get people who make statements like the one above but won't call out the real reason countries act that way & have such poor rights records is because of islam. That's just fact.