New American Idiot documentary coming soon!

pacejunkie punk

Man do I love anniversary editions. You get shit like a '93 version of Christie Road.. in a fuckin studio!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"Lots of song no one has ever heard"

Demos track #7 more likely is when it's time AI version

• Haha 2

Hmm, I think the biggest thing I'm curious about is that when was Cigarettes and Valentines (the song) exactly written. I'm talking about the one that was performed in 2010 couple times and then never played nor referenced again. If that songs studio version isn't included in AI's anniversary edition, that supports my theory that the supposed Cigarettes and Valentines we've heard wasn't written until 21st Century Breakdown era. Songs existence overall is just extremely weird considering they haven't played any other songs from that album (or atleast haven't admitted X song is from C&V) and it seemed like its entire purpose was to be some extra track for Awesome as Fuck CD release. Hell, even the track itself isn't live from one show like the others.

If we get studio version of that song with same lyrics and shit, then I'm even more confused about it. Why on earth would they then play it few times in 2010 and then just abandon it? Whole timeline just doesn't make any goddamn sense.

• Like 1

The interview that Mike did before the American idiot album title was released he talked about how they had all these songs but they felt it wasn't what they wanted to put out and the newer songs were much better. Maybe someone deleted them on purpose. Also we've heard tracks from cig and valentines like shoplifter and lights out. I always though governator was the catalyst for the first network album

• Like 3

I feel they are both the same album cigarettes and valentines and american idiot, it's just that it turned into american idiot because they wrote better stuff that overtook the stuff they already had. as billie went to go to new york for a bit during 2003, maybe he was taking a break from working on that album and then when they came back to work on it again they have a better cooler idea than c&v

• Like 3

On 5/12/2024 at 7:57 PM, Miko said:

If that songs studio version isn't included in AI's anniversary edition, that supports my theory that the supposed Cigarettes and Valentines we've heard wasn't written until 21st Century Breakdown era.

But why wouldn't the song be from pre-American Idiot? It' was already on the track list to the American Idiot B-sides disc John Roecker posted. So it was obviously supposed to be mastered just like songs such as Lights Out and Shoplifter -- which obviously are very real.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since Ryan Baxley is also on tour with Green Day: do we think that this documentary will also cover Saviors? 🤔

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flashback said:

Since Ryan Baxley is also on tour with Green Day: do we think that this documentary will also cover Saviors? 🤔

Maybe a full AI performance from this tour as a bonus for the documentary? 🙏

• Like 2

on a side note: did we ever find out what all this was about?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not that I can remember, seems to have completely disappeared.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2024 at 1:57 PM, Miko said:

Hmm, I think the biggest thing I'm curious about is that when was Cigarettes and Valentines (the song) exactly written. I'm talking about the one that was performed in 2010 couple times and then never played nor referenced again. If that songs studio version isn't included in AI's anniversary edition, that supports my theory that the supposed Cigarettes and Valentines we've heard wasn't written until 21st Century Breakdown era. Songs existence overall is just extremely weird considering they haven't played any other songs from that album (or atleast haven't admitted X song is from C&V) and it seemed like its entire purpose was to be some extra track for Awesome as Fuck CD release. Hell, even the track itself isn't live from one show like the others.

If we get studio version of that song with same lyrics and shit, then I'm even more confused about it. Why on earth would they then play it few times in 2010 and then just abandon it? Whole timeline just doesn't make any goddamn sense.

I can answer. The song existed in 2004 and John Roecker’s picture of that CD proves it.

They played it on 21cb tour because it was a fan request. It was requested by 3 fans in 2009 along with a list of old songs they wanted to hear and a personal note of thanks to the band.

the next night they changed the setlist and began playing songs listed in the note.

One of the requests was to release Cigarettes and Valentines so it could be heard. The request meant the album but they offered up the song on leg 2.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

I can answer. The song existed in 2004 and John Roecker’s picture of that CD proves it.

They played it on 21cb tour because it was a fan request. It was requested by 3 fans in 2009 along with a list of old songs they wanted to hear and a personal note of thanks to the band.

the next night they changed the setlist and began playing songs listed in the note.

One of the requests was to release Cigarettes and Valentines so it could be heard. The request meant the album but they offered up the song on leg 2.

Furthermore, the note was given to Billie Joe on July 16 2009. On July 17 2009 in Ottawa they played Coming Clean, the first song from the note.

On 6/3/2024 at 6:04 AM, Lenny said:

Furthermore, the note was given to Billie Joe on July 16 2009. On July 17 2009 in Ottawa they played Coming Clean, the first song from the note.

is there a picture of this note

or like a source of it existing at all

On 6/2/2024 at 1:44 PM, Hamlet said:

That's so exciting 

I can't wait to see it

I can't wait to see it either. I hope it has sort of the same vibe as Bullet in a Bible because that changed my life lol. 

But if it doesn't that's fine too. Just can't wait to hear stuff I might not already know lol

• Like 1

Wait, really? Isn’t Heart Like A Handgrenade enough? 
also if we’re going by experience, this documentary will be released in 15 years:lol:

• Haha 1

There's not 'american idiot Deluxe 20 anniversary speculation forum" yet? Or IS this one?

19 hours ago, Flynn said:

is there a picture of this note

or like a source of it existing at all

I was one of 3 who wrote the note. At the time I didn’t take a picture. I will check with my friend to see if he did. I vaguely remember him taking a pic of it but then again it was 09 and it was a flip phone of some sort.

I was the one who requested C&V but I meant the album. Obviously I was too vague sorry guys!

my friend launched the note at the show on July 16, 2009 and Billie Joe saw it and pocketed it. Next day in Ottawa the set changed and the song was Coming Clean. That was a song on the list, we all loved that one.

If I can get the image I will share but might blur out some stuff as we had some personal details on there. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/6/2024 at 8:18 AM, Gonzalo17 said:

There's not 'american idiot Deluxe 20 anniversary speculation forum" yet? Or IS this one?

i assume that when a formal announcement gets made there'll be a new one for the 20th anni specifically

Someone needs to write a request to have them play WESTBOUND SIGN!!!!!! At least once!!!

10 hours ago, billy1986 said:

Someone needs to write a request to have them play WESTBOUND SIGN!!!!!! At least once!!!

I think you’re in the wrong thread.

We’re only a couple months from the anniversary they have to announce this doc soon? 

• Like 1

for the 25th nimrod, they announced the first teaser and whatnot in october aka the anniversary, then promoted for the next 3 months. could've been a placeholder for the delay of saviors 🤷‍♀️but something to go off which i hope isn't the case this time
for the 30th dookie, they announced the first teaser in august so they had one month and wasn't even near the anniversary. so i assume they wanted to get it out of the way at the time which was basically the consensus
so for the 20th AI, considering there is nothing in the way besides them being on tour i'm sure they can release it on time for the actual anniversary? the question is will it take 1 month or 3 months, or some third option

• Like 2

• 1 month later...