15 - Fancy Sauce - Song Discussion

Liam

This one had to grow on me, I have to admit. Sonically, the first part did not quite have me sold initially, too slow for my liking, but the second half and lyrics more than make up for that shortcoming. What a great guitar solo and outro! It's a fantastic album closer for sure, their best since Whatsername. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN said:

Fucking hell, I keep getting chills every time this song starts. This is such a beautiful track, and can I dare say the best album closer in their discography? 

Whatsername 

• Love 2

13 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Whatsername 

Yeah that's impossible to beat. But admittedly Whatsername is in a league of its own compared to all other album closers they've done over the years, although I also think Macy's Day Parade is a worthy contender for the second spot. 

Fancy Sauce may be their 3rd best closer, certainly the best since Whatsername, which, it's worth remembering, was released two decades ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Whatsername 

Fair, let’s make a deal on second best and everyone’s happy 😝

1 hour ago, MillenniumFan said:

Yeah that's impossible to beat. But admittedly Whatsername is in a league of its own compared to all other album closers they've done over the years, although I also think Macy's Day Parade is a worthy contender for the second spot. 

Fancy Sauce may be their 3rd best closer, certainly the best since Whatsername, which, it's worth remembering, was released two decades ago. 

I love Macy’s but at the moment this song is just feeling even more like a perfect closer especially when put in the context of the record. Might be because of how much I relate to it, and also because of the freshness, but that’s how it is atm IMHO :) 

The instrument in this song tho, Jesus such a perfect composition and production. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Even though this is a slow song, I find it so catchy. It keeps getting stuck in my head. I love it!

• Like 2

I really really love the melodies and riff, though I wish he kept the riff acoustically as the original teaser

Definitely the best album closer since Whatsername

Really love to hear Tré’s drumsticks, it’s a return to sounding more organic and authentic like Good Riddance’s intro fuck up 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

For a song named Fancy Sauce it's grim as hell. And I love it. I had no idea what this song would be when the tracklisting originally leaked and I'm so happy it defied my expectations. I like the waltz of the music and it goes from a soothing, hushed sound to loud and brash near the end. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

All this talk about album closers, and no love to See the Light? Blasphemous! 

This was a great song, but man is it depressing. Comparing it to the high of the start of the album, it's kinda jarring. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

@LaughingClockIt’s interesting, because I have a totally different take on Fancy Sauce (the power of music and good writing, woo!). 

Mike did an interview with Rolling Stone where he talked a bit about it, and that set me up for how to frame it. Here’s what he said: If there is a theme throughout the record, it’s making sense of all of the chaos around us, and realizing that, “Yeah, I may be insane, but it doesn’t change the fact that the world’s been gaslighting me for the last four years. Shit is bananas out there.” When I hear that song…maybe it’s the rubber room portion of it or whatever, but it is circling all the way back to “Basket Case.”

I don’t so much interpret this one as being about addiction/sobriety. I think it’s about navigating a world that’s so divided and almost comically apocalyptic: “Watch the evening news cause it’s my favorite cartoon.” It also reminds me of the insanity of what you find when you open TikTok for 15 minutes: “I’m crazy! But also you’re the one who’s crazy! Everybody’s crazy!” And on social media, everyone is famous for no reason at all. “Everyone’s a victim and it makes me wanna puke” and “Gonna join a cult, do a somersault,” also very much sounds like it’s about the chronically online and the randomness of TikTok culture. With that interpretation in mind, to me, “we all die young some day” means more like — we’re all wasting our lives away on this shit that doesn’t matter, and we won’t have really experienced life by the time we die. Similar to your point, it speaks to not living your fullest life and struggling with your mental health to navigate this overbearingly absurd world we live in.

But I agree with you on how great this song is — it feels new and essential to their catalog.

I love it! As usual your posts are thought provoking and even if different in line with how I think. Not many people can sway me but I think a world can exist where you can add your thoughts of the songs and mine can still exist only you’re adding to it this time.

I am running out or I would add some examples but I’ll edit this post later to do so. Beautiful interpretation and I agree that the album as a whole represents a lot of what Mike said that you quoted. Can I ask you was he specifically speaking of FS or was it the album?

I think your interpretation is lovely.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@LaughingClockYes, I totally agree that our interpretations can exist together and go hand-in-hand! I think the beginning of the song could especially speak to issues relating to sobriety: "Scratching at the wallpaper in my solitude/go, go, falling like a yo-yo."

Mike was responding to the journalist's comment that Fancy Sauce is a great way to wrap up the album. So it might've been a little bit of both (about the album and the song), but it seemed to ultimately be about the song by the end of his answer. 

• Thanks 1

Fancy Sauce has been the sneak attack one for me. At first listen, I liked it alright, of course. Nothing about it stood out as being or becoming a favorite of mine. But mannnnnn..........with each listen I am falling deeper and deeper in love with it! It's fucking beautiful.....every aspect of it. 

• Like 2

I really enjoy this song. I like the nirvana callback 😂

• Like 2

One of the tearjerkers - along with Suzie and Adeline.   Sometimes American Dream, but I don't listen to any of the singles anymore, this second half of the record is too good to go back to any of those, haha.  

• Like 2

I can only agree with all of your beautiful interpretations of this song. What an album closer! So many great lyrics. The line "We all die young some day" leaves so much room for interpretation, I personally think it is (amongst many other meanings) also a nod to The Who's famous lyric "I hope I die before I get old", which is almost 60 years old. It feels like a continuation of this statement, like: Decades have passed and everything has changed, but at the same time nothing has really changed at all.

• Like 2

Today, I had this one and Coma City stuck in my head.  This song might be my favorite off the album right now though!  Such a great melody and the closing instrumental is a great way to cap off the album.  I also got it stuck in my girlfriend’s head so SUCCESS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I woke up to this song in my head.
Never in a million years I would have thought a song named FANCY SAUCE would be stuck in my head.

• Haha 4

Anyone got any idea why this is called "fancy sauce"? Is it just to be quirky and match the chaotic tone of the lyrics?

5 minutes ago, devilskind92 said:

Anyone got any idea why this is called "fancy sauce"? Is it just to be quirky and match the chaotic tone of the lyrics?

I assume it was a throwaway working title they decided to keep. It subverts your expectations of the song also.

• Like 2