13 - Father To A Son - Song Discussion

Liam

13 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I tend to agree. The more I listen, I find the orchestration and the melody gorgeous, it's an enjoyable listen, but unlike similar songs like When it's Time or WMUWSE, the lyrics just don't touch me emotionally. I'm not finding a relatable hook to hang on to, even as a parent. I don't know if its because I can't separate this from the thought of Joey (and fuck Joey) or if there's some deeper statement on parenthood that the song gets close to but doesn't quite reach.  I'm not sure I understand the words of the chorus completely either, they're a little vague.  I know I stated earlier that there were emotional aspects to it for me, but they're a stretch and the song has diminishing returns.

I'm in the same boat. I'm not a parent so this one isn't punching me in the gut like I expected it to. WMUWSE hits me really hard. It was already a sad song, but then I lost my own step dad in September so it's practically unlistenable now. I get the sentiment Billie's going for on Father to a Son, but I thought it was going to be this big emotional, epic ballad. As it is, it's nice and sweet. I like it but definitely something I would tend to skip every now and then. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Grohl said:

I'm in the same boat. I'm not a parent so this one isn't punching me in the gut like I expected it to. WMUWSE hits me really hard. It was already a sad song, but then I lost my own step dad in September so it's practically unlistenable now. I get the sentiment Billie's going for on Father to a Son, but I thought it was going to be this big emotional, epic ballad. As it is, it's nice and sweet. I like it but definitely something I would tend to skip every now and then. 

Sadly, I often find myself skipping this one too. Not because it is a skippable song per se (it's beautiful and I really like it), but it just doesn't mesh well with the album's flow. Sometimes I'll skip it and then play it after the album's finished, but I don't think it would be a better closer than Fancy Sauce.  So, for me, Father to a Son feels somewhat disconnected from the rest.

I'm also not a parent, so there's that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, devilskind92 said:

I'm also not a parent, so there's that.

I'm a dad and I'm kind of disconnected from this song too.
Maybe because I have a daughter. Father To A Daughter would have been a better title.

5 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I'm a dad and I'm kind of disconnected from this song too.

Honestly, the song still resonates with me on some level. I have a wonderful relationship with my father, so when I listen to it and consider his perspective, it really touches me. I do think it's a beautiful song and I enjoy it a lot. I just can't find a good place for it on the album.

• Like 1

I swear I think it’s the Joey association for me.  It’s too specific to be a universal feeling as his songs typically are.

I know this song is supposed to be a love letter to both his sons — regretting that he wasn’t there more for them growing up, etc. — but between the two Joey was the much bigger handful growing up.  The lyrics refer much more to Joey than Jakob. The lighthouse in a storm line is definitely a reference to Billie becoming a father (to Joey) just as Dookie took off.  

So when I hear him singing “Your mother said it best, we will be put to the test” and love being scarier than anger all I think of is “Joey, where did we go wrong?” combined with all the not so nice things we’ve heard about Joey even before the Lydia scandal, it makes the song a bit of a cringe listen.

• Like 3

I am a parent and I am close to Billie's age and I can connect to this song.  I think maybe it has more to do with age and being a parent and now that your kids are grown and at this stage of your life,  you kind of reflect back on your parenting and how you maybe could have done better or done things differently.  Obviously he has regrets and now that they are grown men, they have probably been having these sorts of conversations and expressing these things to him about how it affected them growing up.

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I swear I think it’s the Joey association for me.  It’s too specific to be a universal feeling as his songs typically are.

I know this song is supposed to be a love letter to both his sons — regretting that he wasn’t there more for them growing up, etc. — but between the two Joey was the much bigger handful growing up.  The lyrics refer much more to Joey than Jakob. The lighthouse in a storm line is definitely a reference to Billie becoming a father (to Joey) just as Dookie took off.  

So when I hear him singing “Your mother said it best, we will be put to the test” and love being scarier than anger all I think of is “Joey, where did we go wrong?” combined with all the not so nice things we’ve heard about Joey even before the Lydia scandal, it makes the song a bit of a cringe listen.

I feel like lighthouse in a storm could be a reference to both of them because Billie was struggling with drinking when Jakob was born also and it speaks to me as sort of their births were a reorientation perhaps for him.  

Why was Joey a bigger handful growing up?  I haven't really read anything on his sons until the Lydia thing so I'm not sure what you mean about not so nice things we've heard about Joey.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 2:48 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

I don't listen to any of their bands, nor do I know anything (or care) about a couple of nepo babies bar what's been made public. 

But this line especially I can't escape the thought that it's referring to the scandal, and that makes me really uneasy TBQH. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 2:48 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

Yeah honestly it just makes it a bit less poignant when you know it's about dumbass Joey Armstrong :lol:. If you were unaware of Billie's family it would work better. I enjoy the music and sentiment though.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

There's nothing quite like the unconditional love that hits you like a train when you become a parent

Amen

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I know this page is pretty much dead now, but the other day I was thinking that this song kind of reminds me of The Forgotten, but not as good.

Don't kill me, but I think it is the instruments? Something about seems like it would be on ¡Tre!. (Don't kill me 😄). To be honest, the songs was not the best on the album, but it was better than Fever Blister, lol. 

Solid 6/10. 

🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not hearing it really. Then again I really hate The Forgotten. Father to a Son is much better than that song.

• Like 1