12 - Living In The '20s - Song Discussion

Liam

Have mixed feelings on this one. Love the energy and the lyrics really capture the insanity of the era we are in. However, I really couldnt see myself singing along to it. Especially the fucking a robot part lol.

• Haha 2

Don't get the hate this gets. To me it sounds like Horseshoes & Handgrenades and Walking Contradiction had a baby. Plus a fierce guitar solo reminiscent of the 39/Smooth & Kerplunk days. The lyrics are a little crude/brazen, but on point. 

• Like 3

The tight and edgy lyrics in this one remind me a lot of Elvis Costello. The fucking a robot that needs batteries and speaks English line is definitely something he’d say. Love it

• Like 2

That scream at the end too — “Ain’t that a kick in the head!!” 🔥

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I LOVE this song. When they started releasing snippets, this was love at first listen for me. It’s really sharp and fast-paced and just fun to listen to.

I’m now thinking back on what that one reviewer said about how Billie should’ve swapped the shooting verse for thoughtful commentary on gun control and I’m not totally sure what they were thinking when it comes to the tone of this song. 😂 It’s definitely meant to be a snarky one and I love it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Probably my third favorite after Dilemma and OEB. And yeah, that reviewer didn't get the spirit the comment was intended in.

Yep, another banger.  Love the snarky, angry lyrics.  ...buzz like a murder hornet, I drink my media and turn it into vomit and the rest and the scream.  If anything I wish there was more of it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This song is a BEAST. Another one that I instantly started rocking out to when I first heard it. That riff is thick as hell and the song has so much attitude. Like it's sassy, mean, and punchy. Plus, I looooooove Billie's little British affect when he says "twen-ties!" Can definitely hear Horseshoes and Handgrenades on this one, but doesn't bother me a bit (I love that song!). Another album highlight for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Great song. Maybe some Bad Religion vibes on this one? American Jesus, maybe? Like it. 

Billie’s definitely written worse lyrics, Absolutely love this tune, my 2nd favourite on the album. Wish it was longer!! 

• Like 1

Bulletproof Backpack/Oh Yeah! vibes

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Couldn't disagree more. Absolutely nothing in this song reminds me of Oh Yeah. Closest song would definitely be Horseshoes and Handgrenades; not only because of riff but both songs have Billie doing angry singing.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 9:15 AM, pacejunkie punk said:

Who is out there kicking Billie in the head?   I'd call the cops if they hadn't all quite their jobs.....and then Jesus quits his job later on.....there are definite lyrical echoes throughout the record.  

But mostly Billie being assaulted.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Miko said:

Couldn't disagree more. Absolutely nothing in this song reminds me of Oh Yeah. Closest song would definitely be Horseshoes and Handgrenades; not only because of riff but both songs have Billie doing angry singing.

Really? Well it's a good sign it seems like every song as a different meaning for everyone. 

I'm hearing Oh Yeah! before the chorus. I don't like Oh Yeah! but I like 20s tho!

4 hours ago, That Dude said:

Who is out there kicking Billie in the head?   I'd call the cops if they hadn't all quite their jobs.....and then Jesus quits his job later on.....there are definite lyrical echoes throughout the record.  

But mostly Billie being assaulted.  

Ain’t That A Kick in the Head is a classic Dean Martin song from the 60’s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain't_That_a_Kick_in_the_Head%3F

These lyrics are smarter than you think and the robot line is edgy and on point

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yeah, there's a ton of Rock N Roll references, just like on FOAM.   We're going to be discovering these for a while and we'll never find them all.   I'll keep my eyes out for more.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I hear it! Very different songs, but some lines are sung in the same way as the bulletproof backpack line.

23 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Absolutely love the lyrics in this song. So many examples of excellent social commentary on this album, but this is one of my favorite songs in that regard.

The Dean Martin reference is so cool!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 2:15 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

Reminds me a LOT of Spider One from Powerman 5000 when he screams this. 

One of my fellow ex-nu metal enjoyers. 

This song is very reminiscent of FOAM to me, and not in a bad way. It's like what FOAM could've been with better production, mixing, and overall quality.

Lyrics are still very FOAM-y tho lol

Interesting to have this song kick in when you're actually walking through the supermarket.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 6:16 AM, MillenniumFan said:

Don't get the hate this gets. To me it sounds like Horseshoes & Handgrenades and Walking Contradiction had a baby.

On 1/20/2024 at 9:11 AM, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Thank you, I was having trouble placing it but I'm definitely hearing Oh Yeah! and Walking Contradiction in the tune.