08 - Coma City - Song Discussion

Liam

My most replayed song so far. Hope they play it live at some point. Could see the end becoming a total jam session. 

• Like 3

My favorite track on the album. Truly directly of 21CB and shows Billie still has it. The lyrics are so accurate and the song is such a banger

• Like 3

What a song!  Love it, everything I love about Green Day.  Totally getting AI/21 CBD vibes, as @pacejunkie punk brought up to date.  The harmonies, the drums, the guitar, bass, great stuff.  Love the long outro.  

• Like 1

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this song! I think it is a stand-out song on the album, possibly my favorite. As many people have mentioned, it definitely has a 21CB feel — kind of like The Static Age Part II. The lyrics and vocal melody are great, and the playing all around is top-notch, especially Mike's driving bassline (which, for some reason, reminds me of the way he used to play on older albums like Insomniac).

Does anyone else think the outro has some similarities to Baba O'Riley?

• Like 3

Easily my absolute favourite. Blends everything I love about GD into a song. 

At first the intro basically being the same as Static Age kinda bothered me, but the melody makes up for it, I know it has an extended outro but I wish it was longer 😂😂

• Like 2

It’s cool that park of the breakdown was in one of the teaser videos a few years back. Hearing the teaser, it reminded me a lot of 99 Revolutions with the drums and outro bit. Hearing the whole song, it doesn’t remind me of that song at all. The lyrics harken back to Paradise with the reference to gunshots. Overall I find it catchy and the outro is awesome.

• Like 3

I like the ending and how it almost resembles a build up off something like chump 

• Like 2

I really don't like this song. It sounds combination of Lights Out, Letterbomb and Revolution Radio without ever finding its own identity. Vocals are too soft, with more aggressive tone they would be more thriving. It's a mixed bag for sure, although I gotta love Tre's outro fills.

Strong B-side material.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This has grown to be my absolute favorite off this project it’s so freaking good this one is the definition of Billie Mike and Tre firing on all cylinders. The instrumentation is some of my favorite I’ve ever heard from Green Day especially Tre’s drumming and the lyrics and vocals are amazing. I get some network vibes from it too with the baseline and Mike backing vocals. This one would go crazy on a rock band game too I can picture it asf.

Also freaking love the line “bankrupt the planet for assholes in space” reminds me of the b plot from the South Park pander verse special with the billionaires racing to space lmao.

The whole thing just has a very very epic feel to it and I believe the length is perfect.

Edited by J-Rem
  • Like 1

Can anyone tell me who likes this song what you like about it? I don't hate it, it's just the verse and chorus just feel the samey outside the lyrics. There's some interesting parts like the beginning and the bridge, and after Billie saying Coma City 12 times at the ending but it's just not clicking with me?

9 hours ago, Flynn said:

Can anyone tell me who likes this song what you like about it? I don't hate it, it's just the verse and chorus just feel the samey outside the lyrics. There's some interesting parts like the beginning and the bridge, and after Billie saying Coma City 12 times at the ending but it's just not clicking with me?

I really like the overall sound of the song. It reminds me of early 80s punk something akin to Generation X. I know Billie loves that kind of music so I'm glad to hear it on this record. There's just this cool retro vibe to it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Flynn said:

The structure of the song feels very reminiscent of American Idiot/21st century. It has a nice energy to it, I enjoy the lyrics. I really don't understand how people are bothered by the Coma City refrain but I do see that point, but to me it's infectious and just hammers in all the right spots. I find Billie's "tongue-in-cheek" (for lack of a better term) lyrics have a tendency to come across a little silly or clunky but I think they work perfectly on this track. Also the ending is just a blast of fun, it's so good. They're all giving it their all. It's definitely my number one track as of writing this post.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Flynn said:

• The instrumentation: Very tight and powerful with the screaming guitars, melodic and driving bassline, and Tre's energetic drums. All of this comes to a climax during the ending, and it makes for a great way to open up side 2.
  • Vocal melody: I find the verses melodic and catchy and Billie's voice sounds great.  All of the phrasing lands perfectly on top of the rhythm.

Honestly, I can't see what's not to like. The only downside, if I had to pick one, is that the chorus isn't as memorable and melodic as the verses — which have been stuck in my head since I first heard the teaser.

Read my original comment for more

• Like 4

My only issue with it is how close parts are to Static Age, which has never been one of my favorites.  Living in the 20s is similar to H&HG too, but I love that one, so it doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

I especially love the drum solo at the end, when the drums get so fast that they almost sound like machine gun shots. Wow. I can literally see a city drifting into an apocalyptic chaos, everything's falling apart.

• Like 2

There's really no drum solo — just some energetic fills. Someone else mentioned a drum solo before I heard the album and I was disappointed when I first heard this song and it ended without a solo, haha. Still, this is my second favorite track on the album right behind Dilemma.

The lyric is “a gunshot, gunshot heads.”

I know Mr. Armstrong has an aversion to pronouncing H’s, but I hear absolutely no attempt at forming this word. :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

I know Mr. Armstrong has an aversion to pronouncing H’s, but I hear absolutely no attempt at forming this word. :lol:

ngl I as a french canadian I first heard cumshot cumshot heads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stories and songs said:

Is that not an American thing, like how they all say “erbs” as opposed to “herbs”?