07 - Goodnight Adeline - Song Discussion

Liam

28 minutes ago, Vintage Disciple said:

Thanks now I went down the whole Lady Cobra rabbit hole!  😂

Explore those vocals chords, they'll give you chills.

• Haha 1

I don’t really think it’s largely about this (I agree with @pacejunkie punk that it sounds like it’s about resigning to the fact that Adrienne could leave him if he continued on a self-destructive path), but I wonder if any of it is about the loss of Adeline Records itself. It always struck me as odd that Pat Magnarella was dropped as their manager and then Adeline Records subsequently closed — I believe he was the one who really demanded Billie get help in 2012 and they seemed close, which made the management change feel like a falling out. Maybe it was just a series of business decisions, but it does make me wonder.

• Like 4

I don't think it's about LC either.   We just got off on a tangent talking about the trilogy and it evolved from there. 

I agree with @pacejunkie punk as well.  Like I said earlier, I even think Adeline could be meant as Adrienne and seems to fit the lyrics.  These lyrics kill me like he's given up "I'm like a dead weight I'm going to meet my maker"  but then "I'll see you later when I get my shit together". 🥺

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

@Vintage Disciple It’s interesting, because “I’ll see you later when I get my shit together” is not an uncommon sentiment or phrasing, but it’s such a gut punch for me every time. One of my favorite lines on the whole album. 

That line makes me think about "When I come around" 

• Like 3

On 2/1/2024 at 3:08 PM, stories and songs said:

I don’t really think it’s largely about this (I agree with @pacejunkie punk that it sounds like it’s about resigning to the fact that Adrienne could leave him if he continued on a self-destructive path), but I wonder if any of it is about the loss of Adeline Records itself. It always struck me as odd that Pat Magnarella was dropped as their manager and then Adeline Records subsequently closed — I believe he was the one who really demanded Billie get help in 2012 and they seemed close, which made the management change feel like a falling out. Maybe it was just a series of business decisions, but it does make me wonder.

I actually think, the more I listen to this song, that it is related to Pat Magnarella and the decision to part ways.  Just a sentiment of a sad parting but not necessarily an ending so to speak.   

17 hours ago, Biddymc said:

I actually think, the more I listen to this song, that it is related to Pat Magnarella and the decision to part ways.  Just a sentiment of a sad parting but not necessarily an ending so to speak.   

It’s too deeply emotional to be about a business decision or a record label

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 9:20 PM, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

That line makes me think about "When I come around" 

The song has the same riff.

Hope this gets a video or is a single along with Father to a Son, Coma City or Strange Days hell even Suzie Chapsticks…side B is awesome 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, I made a cover of this song. Added the bass and drums of the original to give it a bit more punch, but the rest is all me :)
Still working on a video but thought I would share this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devilskind92 said:

So, I made a cover of this song. Added the bass and drums of the original to give it a bit more punch, but the rest is all me :)
Still working on a video but thought I would share this.

You nailed it man! Great job! You nailed that solo, keep it up!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot! I'm not used to playing solos so it sure was a challenge, even though it's a simple one.

• Like 1