07 - Goodnight Adeline - Song Discussion

Liam

1 hour ago, Vintage Disciple said:

When the Tik Tok video happened in Summer of 2022

I must have missed this. What happened?

• Like 1

Just now, Sanity Loan said:

I must have missed this. What happened?

I think they mean the one where Billie appeared to be drinking and cruising with a couple of young women. It got taken down quickly.

• Like 1

Yes, the one that was just after the Supreme Court overturned Rowe v Wade.  A Tik Tok was put up by a young woman that commented something like "kidnapped my idol" but it was taken down almost immediately.  

This one is my favorite up song. I love his voice in this one. Great song

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Oh jeez I forgot all about that tiktok video 

2 hours ago, The Grohl said:

Oh jeez I forgot all about that tiktok video 

I kind of did too. We all tried to forget about it lol... 

• Like 1

See folks, Butch Walker can do great things with Green Day.  Maybe HE could join Green Day....

• Haha 1

@The Grohl I poked my head in a couple times during my GD hiatus and unfortunately popped in right after that TikTok happened. I remember being like “Hey is now a good time to come back? …Never mind bye.” 🫠

I’m really interested to see my Last.fm stats at the end of this week. I have a feeling Goodnight Adeline is gonna come in first for listens because as much as I’m playing the whole album through, I feel like I keep coming back to this one in between.

• Like 1

Just now, Alan86 said:

This is my favourite song on the album. I used always gravitate towards the faster harder songs so it’s very surprising to me that this is the one I’ve been playing on repeat. There is just something about the vocal melody that is so catchy. Hope they play it live sometime, or a Billie solo acoustic could be amazing.

Yup, seriously it's now my #1 track. Last week it was SDAHTS but Goodnigh Adeline really take the top spot.
Everything is perfect about this song.

• Like 3

I'm thinking Adeline is a very long street in Oakland (goes all the way to Berkeley if I remember right). Could be Goodnight Adeline in that sense like driving out of Oakland? I'm crap with words so hope this makes sense

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I'm thinking Adeline is a very long street in Oakland (goes all the way to Berkeley if I remember right). Could be Goodnight Adeline in that sense like driving out of Oakland? I'm crap with words so hope this makes sense

That's what I thought too. Or the record label founded by Billie and Adrienne in Oakland, Adeline Records 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cali89 said:

That's what I thought too. Or the record label founded by Billie and Adrienne in Oakland, Adeline Records 

Could be either (although I think the street as it's quite a while since Adeline Records closed and wasn't Pat Magnarella in charge by the time it closed? Having said that Billie could have reworked this song from a while ago like he does, ie from when it closed)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, billy1986 said:

I hope he never cheated on 80 during his ups and downs 

Rockstar lifestyle... we will never know.He definitively kissed fans on stage but pretty sure 80 isn't mad about this.

Didn't he was in a car with like 4 girls when he was super drunk one day? 

Anyway it's his life.

On 1/19/2024 at 9:14 PM, stories and songs said:

I really really really love the line “I’ll see you later when I get my shit together.” Love how it’s delivered, too.

I love this too!

On 1/22/2024 at 2:02 AM, Thatsername said:

The "sooner or later whatever, whenever" part is so powerful, wow. So many emotions in his voice. It's giving me serious Whatsername-flashbacks ("Remember whatever it seems like forever ago").

Agreed. Additionally didn’t Billie have a Shakira quote on his instagram profile at one point? 

I wish his voice was more clear in the chorus because it is one of the better vocal parts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billy1986 said:

I hope he never cheated on 80 during his ups and downs 

Do we even know if they're in a monogamous relationship? Maybe they're cool with a bit of side action now and then. 

I mean, Billie has written songs about other girls throughout his career, with at least one appearing to be more recent, post-AI. This suggests he either had a bit of a fling or caught feelings for someone else, but it doesn't look like it messed with his marriage or anything.

Aside from possible cheating implications, I don't like digging into their personal stuff, as it's their business. But I can't help but wonder about some songs. Stay the Night, Stray Heart, Suzie Chapstick and others all seem to be telling bits of the same story somehow.

• Like 4

On 1/26/2024 at 2:45 PM, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Yup, seriously it's now my #1 track. Last week it was SDAHTS but Goodnigh Adeline really take the top spot.
Everything is perfect about this song.

Team Strange Days and Good Night for the win.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Yeah I don't think there's any question that it refers to the street. I don't remember which interview it was but when asked about the record label and clothing line, Billie said the street was significant to him as such a major street in Oakland. Green Day also used to hang out and practice at the Adeline Records clubhouse before Studio 880 and then Otis. I hadn't thought of it meaning driving out of Oakland but that's possible, kind of like Taxi Driver.

• Like 3