Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

Is the era officially over? 

Dunno but I'd say not with all the shows we already know about announced for next year? Looks like they'll be touring Europe again which could mean another US leg too? 

• Like 2

this entire album is just UGH no skips

I've loved GD for 2 years now and I always related to their song but the saviours album genuinely saved me (no pun intended)

On 10/8/2024 at 12:46 AM, That Dude said:

Is the era officially over?  

We got Here Come the Shock about a year after Father of All and then a string of assorted stand alone singles.  Just wondering if we'll get that again in 2025 to hold us over until a 2028 album is dropped.   It's possible that was just due to Covid and the band wanted to be extra generous.  But as the BS year of 2024 comes to an end, It's not entirely crazy to think we're ALMOST at the build up of GD15.    We'll be talking about it before you know it.    2025 is going to be awesome! 

Saviors Era isn't over quite yet, as there are more live shows booked next year and I'm 99 % sure there will be more festival shows and possibly another US leg on the way.

As for the singles we randomly got during COVID era 2020-2022:

Dreaming was a random cover during Billie's No Fun Mondays project, which was for some odd reason released under Green Day rather than BJA. Here Comes the Shock was (sadly) released to fulfill that NHL deal. Pollyanna was released as a promo for Hella Mega Tour. Holy Toledo! was part of a movie soundtrack. Out of these 4, only Pollyanna can be considered as extra generous to fans, since it was written to be this feel good song during the tour.

As for 15th studio album, it really makes you wonder how do The Boys™ see their own future and if they are once again taking 2-3 years off before releasing that album. They are definitely not getting any younger and I'd argue this is the last era we'll see Billie still look relatively young. I really don't have any predictions nor wishes for 15th album, but I do however hope they start rocking out their grey hairs and beards and appreciate how fucking old they are starting to be for this genre. Jason looks awesome with his hair already, so hopefully The Boys™ do follow the suit, 'cause Tre's blue hair looks ridiculous and Billie clearly has to dye his hair every month at this point to not show grey patches in his hair.

As for the next tours, I've finally found peace and fully expect them to never play 21CB/Trilogy stuff ever again. Maybe once they'll play Nuclear Family/21 Guns or some shit, but for tours.. nah. Those days are in the past. Those albums will never get any more love than they got during their tours. Shame. I adore them.

Oh shit I'm rambling completely off-topic nonsense. As for Saviors album, my top 3 after 9 months is following:

1. Corvette Summer
2. Dilemma
3. 1981

American Dream is still in my top 5 and I like Bobby Sox, although its lyrics are starting to get on my nerves. Father to a son is a massive flop and I still don't see any redemption in Fancy Sauce. Awful title with even more awful lyrics with okay outro. I also like Living in the '20s, but for some reason I really don't listen it anymore. One Eyed Bastard and Coma City remain as songs that I skip immediately. Saviors is also kinda ehh.

Overall opinion after 9 months:

Best album since Trilogy with best production since 21CB. Best guitar solo and bass work since Trilogy, unsure about how I feel Tre's drumming on this record: production is great, but his playing is pretty stale excluding Coma City. Guitar riffs are pretty weak and unoriginal and I haven't bothered to learn more than 3 songs (American Dream, Corvette Summer and Dilemma) thanks to it. Vocals are fucking awesome with my favorite being Dilemma's chorus and for some reason I dig that lower harmony during chorus in Corvette Summer. 7/10 album with 10/10 production.

• Like 1

This is not a criticism but sometimes I wonder if we are all listening to the same record.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2024 at 10:41 AM, jengd said:

This is not a criticism but sometimes I wonder if we are all listening to the same record.

That's the beauty of forming own opinions rather than following what's popular and what isn't.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2024 at 9:41 AM, jengd said:

It's happened to me countless time, even within the Green Day community, that someone's favorite song in a album is the song I like the least in that album 😅 And I'm sure many people would find my favorite song in some album to be their least favorite. For instance, @Miko trashed my favorite song from Saviors in his previous post (no hard feelings Miko :lol:), and I would rank Revolution Radio higher than the Trilogy without hesitation. I think it goes to show how different music taste can be even among people who are into the same band, and how people's reaction to a song or album can be so individual.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, That Dude said:

Saviors is a perfect 2024 record.   What are some other perfect 2024 records in your opinion? 

Definitely Blink-182's "One More Time Part 2." It really speaks to the disillusionment LOL.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PhuzzyPhriend said:

Definitely Blink-182's "One More Time Part 2." It really speaks to the disillusionment LOL.

New Blink is definitely introspective and dark.  I love it.   Some 2024 favorites:   Alien Ant Farm, Offspring, Alkaline Trio, Laura Jane Grace, Sum 41.    

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, That Dude said:

New Blink is definitely introspective and dark.  I love it.   Some 2024 favorites:   Alien Ant Farm, Offspring, Alkaline Trio, Laura Jane Grace, Sum 41.    

It truly feels like a great time to be alive (well, except for society going to hell LOL).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, PhuzzyPhriend said:

It truly feels like a great time to be alive (well, except for society going to hell LOL).

The music world keeps getting hit with bad news about artists doing bad things.  Hopefully we never get rocked with news that Tre Cool is a serial killer.   Or Mike using millions of child laborers on his farm.   Or that Billie Joe has been wearing a wig from the same company that Trump uses since 1999.   😬

• Haha 4

I haven't heard saviors for almost two months and today finally I revisited it and it felt very refreshing experience it after a while. I usually have to detox after a bit of listening any album. This has been a special album for me because it was released at the time of a culminating period of my life this year and I ussually relate green day eras with moments or phases that are being through in my life.

Subjectively, I think it's the band's most solid work since 21cb and in my opinion it's superior to revrad. Commercially, the band or even any rock band will never have the success or boom from 30, 20 or even 10 years ago because the genre itself is in decline. It's very different from saying that the rock is dead because live shows prove the opposite. That being said, I think if Saviors had been released 15 or even 12 years earlier its impact would have been huge, going with AI, dookie, 21cb for deciding which is the best gd album. But, well, it's not the 90's or 00's anymore. At this point I don't care if a album is good or bad commercially, as long as the boys keep making music that they are proud of that's totally enough for me.

My fav tracks, with no specific order:

Fancy sauce

Look ma no brains

Suzie chapstick

Dilemma 

Goodnight adeline 

The ones that I really hate:

Coma city(it sounds like a b182 song but with better lyrics)

Bobby sox and one eyed bastard are perfect for stadium live shows. 

and yes, I have to agree with the father to a son flop, I mean don't get me wrong, I like the song and with the release hype i felt it was gonna be the next gd massive hit but now I think they could've done better given the good melodies. I get now why they didn't choose it as a single or radio play.

Anyway, I love saviors so much! 

• Like 4

Similar to the post above, I also have thought that if Saviors was released earlier, potentially after 21cb, this album would have received so much more mainstream attention. I remember thinking the album would spike the bands popularity due to the generally positive reviews, but I agree that rock will not ever get the same attention that it did in the early 2000s.

It makes me think forward to future releases. Will Green Day continue making albums at the frequency they have in the last few decades? Will they move to sporadic single/EP releases? It’s hard to say, but what I know is that since I became a fan in 2010, this has been my favorite album BY FAR, and I’m so happy I got to experience this release cycle.

• Like 4

I‘ve read a lot of interviews in the last weeks, and I think in one of them Billie said he loved making albums. So I think they will continue making records, if just for the fun of it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mollyluna said:

I‘ve read a lot of interviews in the last weeks, and I think in one of them Billie said he loved making albums. So I think they will continue making records, if just for the fun of it.

I do wonder about the Mike and Tre. With Tres kid growing up and Mike have a few other business ventures, I wonder if the album making process will slow down. I’ll say that I have no solid reason to think they’d want to slow down, just going solely off of things I’ve thought before. 

Regardless, I know that Billie will most likely stay in the groove of things, whether it’s solo or with a group. He seems to be most consistent when it comes to writing/performing and all that stuff 

• Like 4