Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

5 minutes ago, That Dude said:

I just got on here to say the guitar chords are up for most of the songs and I'm literally holding my acoustic guitar and playing Suzie Chapstick.  Great minds, man.  Great minds!  

I’m surprised Spotify didn’t have lyrics ready for some of the songs last night

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

They never do on release days tbh, usually takes em about a week or so 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Goodnight Adeline is fun to play on guitar.  

• Like 3

Just now, That Dude said:

Goodnight Adeline is fun to play on guitar.  

Fancy Sauce too!!! And it already was my most favorite teaser!!!

• Like 1

I think Goodnight Adeline Father To A Son Fancy Sauce One Eyed Bastard and Bobby Sox are my top 5 currently based on how much I’ve repeated those tracks 

• Like 3

"Track 7's always a ballad." - Tre Cool

Making my way through first listen. Fantastic so far.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I think Goodnight Adeline Father To A Son Fancy Sauce One Eyed Bastard and Bobby Sox are my top 5 currently based on how much I’ve repeated those tracks 

Have to agree with all those choices. Goodnight Adeline especially surprised me.

• Like 2

The wait is over! Finally i listened to the whole album, and did so thrice (the first time i heard the entire album, the other two times i skipped Tracks 2, 3, 4 and 8). Very high quality of recording and quite many hits, however there were a few tracks which did not connect for me.

A brief review for each song:

"The American Dream Is Killing Me": The lead single we had known the longest. Still a interesting and relaxing track to begin the album with. Noticed the nod to "Homecoming" with "We are not home, are we not home?" in the pre-chorus. If only it was a minute longer.

"Look Ma, No Brains!": i had not heard that song before the release, because i was very curious about the lyrics, which are by far the worst lyrics in a Green Day song since 2012. Today i listened to it and confirmed my choice: awful both lyrically, instrumentally and vocally, sounds like a "Father Of All..." song and the bridge is literally "Makeout Party" from "Dos!". Will not listen to it ever again. The worst of the album, by far.

"Bobby Sox": Admittedly captured my interest when i started hearing it, but not long after it completely dropped off. Lyrics are fine, however guitar and drums seem disconnected, making the listening experience notworthy.

"One-Eyed Bast*rd": Had not listened to this song either because it was illegal, until 5/01 at least. Not the worst song of the album, however it needed a vast improvement in all instrumental parts; it sounds unfinished. Unfortunately another album track i am going to skip in future listens.

"Dilemma": Very good single choice, great song on its own. However it is difficult to be performed live, especially for Billie who may have range when singing live, but this one might exceed it. In terms of music, a very fine song with both guitar and bass smashing it.

"1981": My favourite song from the previously known ones. The pre-chorus is one of the best Green Day have ever done! Chorus also rocks quite hard, lyrics are very good and the live performances so far were very exciting. To my surprise, the studio version does not sound as good as the live version.

"Goodnight Adeline": Good, not full mastership demonstration but still an adorable individual track. Glad they brought back the famous guitar/drums rhythm from "21 Guns", "RHS", "Brutal Love" and so on; it was missing.

"Coma City": Unfortunately this is very bad; uninspired lyrics, very random drum fills, badly filtered vocals and, most importantly, Mike Dirnt's least effort throughout the album. It would fit more in a 2012 album such as "Dos!" or "Tré!", not in a literal rebirth of Green Day music.

After "Coma City" all the remaining tracks are excellent:

"Corvette Summer": Cannot understand why it was not very liked by public at first; it is the most inspired song on "Saviours", in terms of instrumentation. I liked it on its entirety.

"Suzie Chapstick": Fun, charming, enthusiastic. This chorus will remain in my brain for very long.

"Strange Days Are Here To Stay": Definitely for me my favourite off the album. Amazing guitar, deep and meaningful lyrics, vocals straight from Billie's Heaven, oh my! The highlight of this album.

"Living In The 20s": Another highlight of the album. Who said minus 3 minutes songs can not fill the person listening? This one definitely did it for me.

"Father To A Son": High quality ballad, it needed a few more time, but who cares? Excellent! i doubt it will not be a single release.

"Saviours": The title track is full of energy, an amazing energy, fulfilling the role of most penultimate tracks in Green Day albums. 2nd favourite after "Strange Days Are Here To Stay". Lyrics and vocals there are incredible!

"Fancy Sauce": It may not be the Tré Cool track a few of us might have wanted, but it is very nice and touching. One part reminded me of "Amy", other than that it was a very satisfying closer, something Green Day were missing since 21st Century Breakdown.

That sums my opinion up, for now.

• Like 1

There’s so much to take in, I’m overwhelmed 🥹 I absolutely love the album. I truly think it’s their best work since American Idiot. It is wonderful to see them seemingly everywhere — Fallon, CBS, Howard Stern, etc… let’s keep it coming. I hope the sales & streaming reflect all the hard work the band (and their TEAMS holy shit I can’t imagine how much they’ve had to do and continue to do) have put in. Ready for Green Day to dominate the charts again. 

• Like 3

Butch Walker was actually involved in the making of this record!!!! He's listed as additional engineering and acoustic guitar on Goodnight Adeline!!!

• Like 1

Rank of the songs for me is the folllowing (15 is the worst, 1 is the best) {note that the ratings attached are listed according to my ratings for "Saviours" themselves, not to my general interests. 100 means the best for this album alone, 0 means the worst for this album alone}

15. Look Ma, No Brains! (000/100)

14. Bobby Sox (009/100)

13. Coma City (014/100)

12. One-Eyed Bast*rd (021/100)

11. Goodnight Adeline (053/100)

10. The American Dream Is Killing Me (066/100)

9. Corvette Summer (070/100)

8. Dilemma (077/100)

7. Suzie Chapstick (080/100)

6. Father To A Son (081/100)

5. Fancy Sauce (083/100)

4. Living In The 20s (085/100)

3. 1981 (086/100)

2. Saviours (090/100)

1. Strange Days Are Here To Stay (100/100)

Spoiler

Also a temporary rank of my favourite albums, now with "Saviours" on it:

14. Uno!

13. Father Of All...

12. Dookie

11. Nimrod

10. Tré!

9. Dos!

7= SAVIOURS (tied for seventh, if necessary to ultimately rank, 8th)

7= 1.039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours (tied for seventh, if necessary to ultimately rank, 7th)

6. Kerplunk

5. American Idiot

4. Revolution Radio

3. Insomniac

1= Warning (tied for first, if necessary to ultimately rank, 2nd)

1= 21st Century Breakdown (tied for first, if necessary to ultimately rank, 1st)

In general i am very, very satisfied of this album, recording quality and melodies are fine in almost all songs. "Father Of All" era is definitely behind.

It was absolutely worth the wait. Can not wait to listen to a few of the previously unreleased tracks live in the future

Spoiler

as long as "Coma City" is not performed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lucky_stars said:

There’s so much to take in, I’m overwhelmed 🥹 I absolutely love the album. I truly think it’s their best work since American Idiot. It is wonderful to see them seemingly everywhere — Fallon, CBS, Howard Stern, etc… let’s keep it coming. I hope the sales & streaming reflect all the hard work the band (and their TEAMS holy shit I can’t imagine how much they’ve had to do and continue to do) have put in. Ready for Green Day to dominate the charts again. 

I hope they appear on SNL this year too!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Khaleesi. said:

If anyone comes across a signed CD, please let me know 🙏🏽 thanks friends! Happy Saviors Day!

Record store I pre-ordered a signed copy from said they didn't have enough and already gave them out. I was there first thing this morning, drove in the snow (up hill both ways) kidding it wasn't that bad, but they said they didn't allocate enough for what they ordered? Someone flipped out on their fb page saying they flipped the signed copies and that's why they didn't have any. But I'm seeing that all record stores are saying the same thing so it seems like a Green Day fault and not indie record stores....unless all of a sudden there's a shit ton of signed CDs on ebay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, TheMostExpressivePrice said:

The wait is over! Finally i listened to the whole album, and did so thrice (the first time i heard the entire album, the other two times i skipped Tracks 2, 3, 4 and 8). Very high quality of recording and quite many hits, however there were a few tracks which did not connect for me.

A brief review for each song:

"The American Dream Is Killing Me": The lead single we had known the longest. Still a interesting and relaxing track to begin the album with. Noticed the nod to "Homecoming" with "We are not home, are we not home?" in the pre-chorus. If only it was a minute longer.

"Look Ma, No Brains!": i had not heard that song before the release, because i was very curious about the lyrics, which are by far the worst lyrics in a Green Day song since 2012. Today i listened to it and confirmed my choice: awful both lyrically, instrumentally and vocally, sounds like a "Father Of All..." song and the bridge is literally "Makeout Party" from "Dos!". Will not listen to it ever again. The worst of the album, by far.

"Bobby Sox": Admittedly captured my interest when i started hearing it, but not long after it completely dropped off. Lyrics are fine, however guitar and drums seem disconnected, making the listening experience notworthy.

"One-Eyed Bast*rd": Had not listened to this song either because it was illegal, until 5/01 at least. Not the worst song of the album, however it needed a vast improvement in all instrumental parts; it sounds unfinished. Unfortunately another album track i am going to skip in future listens.

"Dilemma": Very good single choice, great song on its own. However it is difficult to be performed live, especially for Billie who may have range when singing live, but this one might exceed it. In terms of music, a very fine song with both guitar and bass smashing it.

"1981": My favourite song from the previously known ones. The pre-chorus is one of the best Green Day have ever done! Chorus also rocks quite hard, lyrics are very good and the live performances so far were very exciting. To my surprise, the studio version does not sound as good as the live version.

"Goodnight Adeline": Good, not full mastership demonstration but still an adorable individual track. Glad they brought back the famous guitar/drums rhythm from "21 Guns", "RHS", "Brutal Love" and so on; it was missing.

"Coma City": Unfortunately this is very bad; uninspired lyrics, very random drum fills, badly filtered vocals and, most importantly, Mike Dirnt's least effort throughout the album. It would fit more in a 2012 album such as "Dos!" or "Tré!", not in a literal rebirth of Green Day music.

After "Coma City" all the remaining tracks are excellent:

"Corvette Summer": Cannot understand why it was not very liked by public at first; it is the most inspired song on "Saviours", in terms of instrumentation. I liked it on its entirety.

"Suzie Chapstick": Fun, charming, enthusiastic. This chorus will remain in my brain for very long.

"Strange Days Are Here To Stay": Definitely for me my favourite off the album. Amazing guitar, deep and meaningful lyrics, vocals straight from Billie's Heaven, oh my! The highlight of this album.

"Living In The 20s": Another highlight of the album. Who said minus 3 minutes songs can not fill the person listening? This one definitely did it for me.

"Father To A Son": High quality ballad, it needed a few more time, but who cares? Excellent! i doubt it will not be a single release.

"Saviours": The title track is full of energy, an amazing energy, fulfilling the role of most penultimate tracks in Green Day albums. 2nd favourite after "Strange Days Are Here To Stay". Lyrics and vocals there are incredible!

"Fancy Sauce": It may not be the Tré Cool track a few of us might have wanted, but it is very nice and touching. One part reminded me of "Amy", other than that it was a very satisfying closer, something Green Day were missing since 21st Century Breakdown.

That sums my opinion up, for now.

5 minutes ago, TheMostExpressivePrice said:

Rank of the songs for me is the folllowing (15 is the worst, 1 is the best) {note that the ratings attached are listed according to my ratings for "Saviours" themselves, not to my general interests. 100 means the best for this album alone, 0 means the worst for this album alone}

15. Look Ma, No Brains! (000/100)

14. Bobby Sox (009/100)

13. Coma City (014/100)

12. One-Eyed Bast*rd (021/100)

11. Goodnight Adeline (053/100)

10. The American Dream Is Killing Me (066/100)

9. Corvette Summer (070/100)

8. Dilemma (077/100)

7. Suzie Chapstick (080/100)

6. Father To A Son (081/100)

5. Fancy Sauce (083/100)

4. Living In The 20s (085/100)

3. 1981 (086/100)

2. Saviours (090/100)

1. Strange Days Are Here To Stay (100/100)

Reveal hidden contents

Also a temporary rank of my favourite albums, now with "Saviours" on it:

14. Uno!

13. Father Of All...

12. Dookie

11. Nimrod

10. Tré!

9. Dos!

7= SAVIOURS (tied for seventh, if necessary to ultimately rank, 8th)

7= 1.039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours (tied for seventh, if necessary to ultimately rank, 7th)

6. Kerplunk

5. American Idiot

4. Revolution Radio

3. Insomniac

1= Warning (tied for first, if necessary to ultimately rank, 2nd)

1= 21st Century Breakdown (tied for first, if necessary to ultimately rank, 1st)

Honestly find it baffling that you seem to hate Coma City AND that you find 1981 to be better live. Coma City is probably the best song on the album imo and 1981 sounds way better on the album than in any of the live performances I've seen. The production really stands out on these tracks and Coma City's instrumental outro is absolutely a highlight on the album

Look Ma No Brains isn't a favourite of mine personally but I don't understand why you'd consider it to lyrically be their worst song since 2012. It's probably more reminiscent of 90's Green Day lyrics than any other song on this album with the self-deprecating lyrics and the lyrics are ironically quite clever despite the song's title. Even if you don't like the lyrics, is it actually any worse than some of the lyrics that come up throughout FOAM?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I was reading a Reddit Father of All...release megathread and wow, there was so much love for the album. Hopefully the love for Saviors doesn't also dissipate after the newness wears off.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Definitely love this album. It is all I wanted from the guys after 21stCB. Maturity, different sounds, top notch production, lots of lead guitar…

Billie’s vocals are surprising and he’s very inspired with the guitar (how many solos are in this album?!?!). Mike has some of the best bass lines since Warning. And Tre absolutely owns the drums, totally on fire.

I dont know if it is their best album, or even top 3. GD has a brilliant discography in Dookie, AI, Insomniac, Nimrod, 21stCB. But I am sure is my personal favorite. GD has been my life soundtrack and all these songs off Saviors connect again with the point I am right now in my life. The shows cant come soon enough.

My favorites: Strange Days, Suzie Chapstick, Fancy Sauce, Dilemma.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I was reading a Reddit Father of All...release megathread and wow, there was so much love for the album. Hopefully the love for Saviors doesn't also dissipate after the newness wears off.

Don't forget the pandemic happened just a month into release

Wow I think this album is the best since AI. Crazy good, I am blown away, and never would I ever expect something like this from them. Father to a son, Adeline and Fancy sauce are gold

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I'm looking at the FOAM megathread now and it doesn't seem that positive overall. But I think for a lot of people, including me, were surprised by the 2nd half because of how much we weren't into the singles. I was expecting it to be a lot more like the singles. Even though side B still isn't great compared to basically every album they've ever released, it was good enough compared to the singles that I was actually quite happy for the first few days of the release anyway. Since then, my opinion on the album as a whole has just gone lower and lower as time goes on, even if I still think some of the tracks, mostly on side B are ok.

In the case of Saviors, the singles we've already heard and the new tracks seem to be getting love. There don't seem to be tracks that most people seem to dislike with Saviors like there was with FOAMF. There may be some songs getting more criticism than others but every song seems to have a lot of fans and people seem to be ranking the album quite highly in their album rankings. Of course, the hype will die down just as it happens for every album. But I won't be surprised if this album ends up being more beloved than RevRad, which already has its fair share of people who really love it and even have it in their Top 3 or even have it as their absolute favourite album.

• Like 1

My top 5 songs atm are:

1. Father to a Son

2. Dilemma

3. Strange Days Are Here To Stay (I've probably had this one on repeat the most)

4. Bobby Sox

5. Goodnight Adeline

This album was so fucking good, gonna listen to it on repeat for the coming months, I love this band so much 😭

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Honnêtement, je trouve déconcertant que vous sembliez détester Coma City ET que vous trouviez que 1981 est un meilleur live. Coma City est probablement la meilleure chanson de l'album à mon avis et 1981 sonne bien mieux sur l'album que dans aucune des performances live que j'ai vues. La production se démarque vraiment sur ces morceaux et la sortie instrumentale de Coma City est absolument un moment fort de l'album.

Look Ma No Brains n'est pas personnellement une de mes préférées, mais je ne comprends pas pourquoi vous considérez que c'est leur pire chanson depuis 2012. Elle rappelle probablement plus les paroles de Green Day des années 90 que toute autre chanson de cet album avec les paroles autodérision et les paroles sont ironiquement assez intelligentes malgré le titre de la chanson. Même si vous n'aimez pas les paroles, est-ce en fait pire que certaines paroles qui reviennent dans FOAM ?

Do not hate "Coma City" in any means, but it is very weak for the quality of this album. It is literally the only track on B side that does not deserve many positive comment. Only song i honestly dislike is "Look Ma, No Brains", it is indeed awful and i can not tell why you say it is 90s when the only thing that prevents anyone from casually saying it is "Father Of All..." is the 4 year gap between the two album releases. Those two songs are not in any means close to the lovely sound the rest of the album share.

As for 1981, i said it sounds better live because it is an energetic song and studio version lowers its effect on the respective audience.

Thank you for calmly describing your disagreement.

2 minutes ago, TheMostExpressivePrice said:

Do not hate "Coma City" in any means, but it is very weak for the quality of this album. It is literally the only track on B side that does not deserve many positive comment. Only song i honestly dislike is "Look Ma, No Brains", it is indeed awful and i can not tell why you say it is 90s when the only thing that prevents anyone from casually saying it is "Father Of All..." is the 4 year gap between the two album releases. Those two songs are not in any means close to the lovely sound the rest of the album share.

As for 1981, i said it sounds better live because it is an energetic song and studio version lowers its effect on the respective audience.

Thank you for calmly describing your disagreement.

Funnily enough, i am almost in 100 % (respectful) disagreement with you. 

i love all those tracks….

To each their own and your taste is your taste obviously,  Green Day have truly made an album that has something for everyone!!!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I think this forum is quite representative of the band fanbase, at least the 2009-16 fanbase, and back then it was largely divided on FOAM. In general the reception of this record is way better than that, both from critics and fans. 

• Like 2