Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Maybe they did their research and found those promo appearances don’t do anything for them in terms of sales or streams so it’s better to do paid appearances 

Or maybe they didn't get any slots 😕 I can't imagine that this Jimmy Fallon clip (where they basically only played Basket Case on TV) was fine for them to promote the album but beside that they didn't have any late night show appearances 🤔

There's a contractor at work that looks just like Saviors Boy. Second spotting. What a time to be alive.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, That Dude said:

It also references the 1,000 Hours EP because it includes the words GREEN DAY

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Tbf a tour where American Idiot and Dookie are played in full is a very big deal. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to go to one of these shows for so many people. It's a much bigger deal than a greatest hits tour like Hella Mega was. Yes, a lot of their greatest hits come from AI/Dookie but so do some underrated deep cuts that never/rarely get played live. Dookie has been played live on multiple occasions but I would still love to hear that album played live. But AI especially, there are songs like She's A Rebel, Extraordinary Girl, Whatsername that haven't been played for ages. I would like for the new songs to not get overshadowed by that but at the end of the day, a great setlist is a great setlist. At the very least, I think we can expect to hear some new stuff. I don't think it's going to be a repeat of FOAMF which was basically completely ignored live after the first couple weeks of promo

I partially agree with what you're saying, I actually forgot to mention in my previous post that, for me, it would be best if they could just play those albums in full in some kind of livestream or recorded event. But I understand many people might be thrilled that all those songs will be performed live in a concert they will attend. All tickets are already sold out near me, so I'm thinking in terms of how many songs will get a new live version that I can watch on YouTube :lol:

I’m starting to think they’re not going to do anything again until the tour starts

• Sad 4

I would imagine there'll be at least one small show before the tour starts like the Tulsa show before Hella Mega 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I would imagine there'll be at least one small show before the tour starts like the Tulsa show before Hella Mega 

You predicted my thoughts on the tour... maybe not because I already said there would be a chance for a warmup show, I think it was in the Super Bowl or Madden Bowl thread

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I’m starting to think they’re not going to do anything again until the tour starts

I'm afraid of that too. I still don't unterstand why promotion for Saviors stopped so abruptly.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Flashback said:

I'm afraid of that too. I still don't unterstand why promotion for Saviors stopped so abruptly.

As I've said before, in my opinion the best move at this point would be releasing 'Father To A Son' with a memorable music video(not lyric video) latest within March. To follow it with another music video for Suzie Chapstick would be nice too. These 2 songs may not be everyone's top favorites here, but they will surely catch the attention of mainstream listeners.

Stopping the release of singles as music videos at this point would be a wrong choice as especially these 2 songs have obvious potential for the album to open more doors for mainstream listeners & new listeners as well.

Kinda funny, Green Day are still in the Australian ARIA charts for top 50 albums

but not for Saviors.. for Greatest Hits! Currently #32

Saviors not in the top 50 at all.

Saviors was in the Australian charts just for 1 week when the album debuted. It peaked at #2 then disappeared.

Bloody greedy Taylor Swift though, she's #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #13, #21, #25, #33 & #38

• Surprised 1

ARIA still listing Greatest Hits?? Damn welcome to 2017 we have 2024 ARIA listings

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The 99th revolution said:

ARIA still listing Greatest Hits?? Damn welcome to 2017 we have 2024 ARIA listings

Its because of all the promotion people are buying the old shit instead of the new shit :(

In other Australian news... Pearl Jam are coming to Australia in November! Whoopeeee!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads-up. Also, nice news about Pearl Jam! Very awesome grunge band.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doggins said:

Kinda funny, Green Day are still in the Australian ARIA charts for top 50 albums

but not for Saviors.. for Greatest Hits! Currently #32

Is this even surprising at all? Pretty sure GH's position isn't cause people are going out and buying the GH album but because people are streaming all the singles that appear on that album. Even if Saviors was doing so well beyond our wildest imaginations, GH's would probably still be doing better because 1 album that has a couple of successful singles isn't going to be able to beat an album that has ALL of the bands most successful singles

1 hour ago, Doggins said:

Saviors not in the top 50 at all.

Saviors was in the Australian charts just for 1 week when the album debuted. It peaked at #2 then disappeared.

Bloody greedy Taylor Swift though, she's #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #13, #21, #25, #33 & #38

This isn't even surprising either. Rock albums like Saviors just don't do well in terms of streaming and as a result, are going to drop massively after the first week when most of the people who planned on buying the album have already bought the album. This is the same thing that happened with FOAMF. RevRad faired a bit better because streaming wasn't quite as big as it is now

What do you even mean by "greedy" Taylor Swift? You mean "popular" "more mainstream" artist who is at the peak of her success right now? Is it at all surprising that Green Day's new album isn't going to make all that much of a dent 20 years after their peak? Were Green Day "greedy" back in 2004 when American Idiot was being super successful for months?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DannyDirnt said:

I'm a bit late to the party, but I find it quite underwhelming that the most we can hope for is 4-5 new songs in a setlist that feels like a greatest hits tour... I wish they would switch it up a bit more. They have way too many staples for such a huge discography. I would rather have them play most if not all the new songs and then complete the setlist with songs from previous records.

Yes! Realistically it should be a bunch of big hits, 5 or 6 Saviors songs and the few deep cuts they do. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think so, too. It’s a shame because I was hoping for them to do some late night shows. They did the Jimmy Fallon thing but I’m not even sure which of the songs were televised. Probably Basket Case. That just solidifies my opinion that their focus is on celebrating the anniversaries of Dookie and AI, not on promoting Saviors.

7 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I think so, too. It’s a shame because I was hoping for them to do some late night shows. They did the Jimmy Fallon thing but I’m not even sure which of the songs were televised. Probably Basket Case. That just solidifies my opinion that their focus is on celebrating the anniversaries of Dookie and AI, not on promoting Saviors.

Feel Like Makin' Love (Bad Company song) and Basket Case were the only songs televised. There's also a rehearsal of Feel Like Makin' Love out there, but I don't know where it came from. 

9 hours ago, billy1986 said:

Is dilemma still charting?

The Dilemma - Song Discussion thread should have answers for you 

4 hours ago, The 99th revolution said:

Feel Like Makin' Love (Bad Company song) and Basket Case were the only songs televised. There's also a rehearsal of Feel Like Makin' Love out there, but I don't know where it came from. 

I’m still waiting for the I Get Around cover. Didn’t Billie leak that the same day he leaked 1981?

• Like 1

I've been too busy adulting these days that I haven't had nearly enough time to participate in discussion of the album, but I'm really enjoying it! 

I find myself skipping around a lot on the go, rather than listening to it start-to-finish. I'm sure me overplaying the singles didn't help. :P 

One thing I was wondering, which I'm sure has been shared elsewhere on here — can anybody name some obvious places where melodies are recycled from other songs? I feel like several times I've been thinking "hey, that sounds familiar" but I can't exactly pinpoint it. (I mean, besides the obvious "So What" by Pink in OEB. :lol:)

• Like 1