Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

9 hours ago, Insomniac90 said:

Tbf who wants the digital version of it when you pay 8-10 for a streaming platform? 😂

Most of us here bought at least a physical version plus streaming

8 hours ago, Flashback said:

I did for a long time 😄

I preordered it on iTunes for £7 I think.  As the cars nowadays don’t come with flamin cd players,  I like to get my favourites on my phone, then get the cd when they get reduced.  I did splash out on the deluxe gatefold 180g black vinyl though, came with a nice poster too. (Don’t do streaming, unless  Youtube counts as that) 😜 I have loads of cd’s and quite a lot of vinyl too, so don’t feel the need to pay out for streaming services.

• Like 2

My signed copy finally arrived! I'm way too scared to open it up for so many reasons, but I'd also hate to just keep it sealed... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Flynn said:

My signed copy finally arrived! I'm way too scared to open it up for so many reasons, but I'd also hate to just keep it sealed... 

I know what you mean I haven't opened mine yet! Maybe we have one Tre signed Ringo and we don't know!

On 2/4/2024 at 3:27 AM, dudley dawson said:

I love it too but top 3? It’s simply not better than Dookie, Insomniac, Nimrod, Warning, AI, and Kerplunk. Everything else is debatable imo.

Yeah I have to agree. I really love most of the songs (currently some as much as my old favourites) but there's just something. I have no idea how to describe it. I think the songs sound great individually but as an album it doesn't flow that well. Only my opinion of course

• Like 3

So I just saw a commercial on YouTube for ABC’s The Conners and The American Dream is Killing Me was playing in the background!!! This era has been getting A LOT of media attention so far!!! Hopefully this sets them up to win a Grammy next year!!!

• Like 4

Yeah, this album is shaping up to be sort of popular, but not in Dookie or AI's level.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Flynn said:

Lucky you! Still waiting for mine. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The 99th revolution said:

Yeah, this album is shaping up to be sort of popular, but not in Dookie or AI's level.

What do you mean by "popular". Cause I'm not seeing it being any more popular than any album from 1994-2009 and even albums like RevRad or Uno are albums that Saviors is unlikely to beat in terms of sales or streams. Like I think it will be more commercially popular than Dos/Tré & FOAMF. I'm not really expecting any more than that

• Like 3

I said "sort of", not like "VERY POPULAR HOLY FUCKING SHIT!". And what I meant is that it's bringing back some of the old Green Day fans, I'm aware it's gaining the same amount of traction as the less popular albums.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 4:00 PM, Flashback said:

I wonder if there will be a rock revival some day again like in the early 2000s 🤔 maybe Olivia Rodrigo is the beginning to bridge the gap from pop back to rock.

It’s not enough to be honest.

Surely nobody expects them to ever be as popular as they were in 1994/5 or 2004/5?

In terms of popularity, the numbers will continue to decline until they plateau and you have probably the legacy fans and casuals left with very little interest from "new" listeners. GD are so established that its easily sustainable and they'll continue to release and tour, but we're not far off that point IMO. 

This is the cycle of any band / artist. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

The American Dream Is Killing Me - 10,974,533 (+75k)
Look Ma, No Brains! - 6,964,588 (+65k)
Bobby Sox - 3,717,986 (+89k)
One Eyed Bastard - 5,972,822 (+101k)
Dilemma - 7,733,019 (+100k)
1981 - 2,018,794 (+61k)
Goodnight Adeline - 1,844,564 (+50k)
Coma City - 1,568,119 (+38k)
Corvette Summer - 1,595,486 (+41k)
Suzie Chapstick - 1,671,806 (+53k)
Strange Days Are Here to Stay - 1,527,301 (+41k)
Living in the '20s - 1,496,452 (+41k)
Father to a Son - 1,259,578 (+32k)
Saviors - 1,238,628 (+31k)
Fancy Sauce - 1,196,465 (+30k)

TOTAL - 50,780,141 (+849,283)

I think this is a low point in terms of daily increase. Hopefully things will pick up a bit

I really wish all of their promotion didn't involve AI/Dookie when it comes to the album. We saw with Fallon that the televised portion of their bit was Basket Case, which was disappointing. When they do events, they are only playing old hits. They haven't even done any major talk shows (minus Stern). 

Instagram posts can only go so far. 

We saw with the Grammys that just performing in front of an audience can bump streaming numbers. Obviously the guys can't get a MASSIVE stage like that right now, but anything is better than nothing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zebahar said:

I really wish all of their promotion didn't involve AI/Dookie when it comes to the album. We saw with Fallon that the televised portion of their bit was Basket Case, which was disappointing. When they do events, they are only playing old hits. They haven't even done any major talk shows (minus Stern). 

Instagram posts can only go so far. 

We saw with the Grammys that just performing in front of an audience can bump streaming numbers. Obviously the guys can't get a MASSIVE stage like that right now, but anything is better than nothing.

I think this year being the anniversaries of both Dookie & AI is really the main reason for that. FOAMF also had the Hella Mega tour which was intended to be a Greatest Hits tour so that album was kind of ignored (for better or worse depending on your opinion on the album). But the band still seems to be excited about and proud of the new album. I'm sure the next album will be a bit more focused on the new stuff. As great as their other albums are, I don't think any future anniversaries for other albums like Nimrod/21CB/Warning etc. will be a focus if they happen to coincide with a new album release. Because as great as these albums are, they aren't that well known/beloved within the mainstream

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think this year being the anniversaries of both Dookie & AI is really the main reason for that. FOAMF also had the Hella Mega tour which was intended to be a Greatest Hits tour so that album was kind of ignored (for better or worse depending on your opinion on the album). But the band still seems to be excited about and proud of the new album. I'm sure the next album will be a bit more focused on the new stuff. As great as their other albums are, I don't think any future anniversaries for other albums like Nimrod/21CB/Warning etc. will be a focus if they happen to coincide with a new album release. Because as great as these albums are, they aren't that well known/beloved within the mainstream

I understand it’s to coincide with the anniversaries, but I think we as a society are at a point where we don’t need to be reminded that Basket Case and American Idiot exist. You can’t escape those songs.

Plus, the tour is called the SAVIORS tour, so you would think they’d push the album more than they did with Hella Mega

• Like 1

All concerts today are anniversary / or straight up called greatest hits shows.  It's lousy and I don't like it.  Concerts have always leaned into the popular hits, so calling them celebrations of albums or hits show can only mean even more deep cuts are ignored.   I think Covid made the industry want to find new ways of recouping their losses, and this is what we got.   It sucks.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Zebahar said:

I understand it’s to coincide with the anniversaries, but I think we as a society are at a point where we don’t need to be reminded that Basket Case and American Idiot exist. You can’t escape those songs.

Plus, the tour is called the SAVIORS tour, so you would think they’d push the album more than they did with Hella Mega

I'm sure they will be playing some new songs on the Saviors tour which is more than they did for FOAMF at Hella Mega

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm sure they will be playing some new songs on the Saviors tour which is more than they did for FOAMF at Hella Mega

I’m sure they would’ve played FOAM songs if Hella Mega wasn’t delayed by Covid

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hermione said:

This album is so good that it made me want to listen to GD's entire discography in order. Will be doing so over the next few days before listening to it again, so good.

Be sure to make a podcast about every song.  ;)

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Dang, that's quite a big drop from yesterday which was already a pretty big drop from the previous day which was 1,014,022. I wonder if there's some explanation for that drop like maybe spotify updating numbers earlier today, or later yesterday

Sorry, I was having a Bob Dylan weekend.  Back on Saviors today.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

The American Dream Is Killing Me - 11,035,185 (+61k)
Look Ma, No Brains! - 7,018,512 (+54k)
Bobby Sox - 3,791,598 (+74k)
One Eyed Bastard - 6,052,932 (+80k)
Dilemma - 7,815,879 (+83k)
1981 - 2,067,235 (+48k)
Goodnight Adeline - 1,884,878 (+40k)
Coma City - 1,598,378 (+30k)
Corvette Summer - 1,627,906 (+32k)
Suzie Chapstick - 1,712,476 (+41k)
Strange Days Are Here to Stay - 1,559,570 (+32k)
Living in the '20s - 1,530,299 (+34k)
Father to a Son - 1,285,915 (+26k)
Saviors - 1,264,393 (+26k)
Fancy Sauce - 1,221,597 (+25k)

TOTAL - 51,466,753 (+686,612)

Dang, that's quite a big drop from yesterday which was already a pretty big drop from the previous day which was 1,014,022. I wonder if there's some explanation for that drop like maybe spotify updating numbers earlier today, or later yesterday

I am doing my best to get the streams out of gradual chronological decline through the tracklist by streaming them backward.   Maybe we could all create a backward Saviors playlist on Spotify and direct everyone to use those, 😄     When Fandom goes wrong, lol.    Goodnight Adeline and Fancy Sauce are going to end up my most played songs of all history.  It's taking awhile to overtake American Dream and Look Motha, because wow I played Dream all day and night until Lookie Lookie Mother Dearest came out.  

11 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Lol. I'm sure That Dude was just taking a little break from streaming Fancy Sauce on loop forever and that's why there's been a drop in streams

I did some dabbling in new artists, so yes. A reprieve in going loco like a yoyo for a bit.  And there's these Green Dudes that also take up my Spotify time as well.  I am torn - Green Day talk or Green Day rock?

Fancy Sauce!!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, That Dude said:

I am doing my best to get the streams out of gradual chronological decline through the tracklist by streaming them backward.   Maybe we could all create a backward Saviors playlist on Spotify and direct everyone to use those, 😄     When Fandom goes wrong, lol.    Goodnight Adeline and Fancy Sauce are going to end up my most played songs of all history.  It's taking awhile to overtake American Dream and Look Motha, because wow I played Dream all day and night until Lookie Lookie Mother Dearest came out.  

I did some dabbling in new artists, so yes. A reprieve in going loco like a yoyo for a bit.  And there's these Green Dudes that also take up my Spotify time as well.  I am torn - Green Day talk or Green Day rock?

Fancy Sauce!!!!!!!!

Drizzle some fancy sauce on your device if you want Green Day rock

• Like 1