Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

43 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I’d like to make the argument that Saviors is better than American Idiot because we can actually hear the bass lines for the first time since Warning.

I remember someone back in the day saying, “Where have all the bastards gone? More like where have all the basslines gone!”

Except the trilogy had a ton of great basslines. 

Really, I'm not hearing that much more from the basslines on Saviors than we've gotten since American Idiot. Like, yeah it is better but it still has nowhere near the best basslines on a Green Day album. It's more in the mix than it's been since Warning but the actual basslines don't seem all that better than the basslines we've been getting since then. The bass just has certain moments to shine generally from AI onwards rather than being an integral part of the entire songs like it tends to be pre-AI. Maybe I am understating Mike's work a bit on Saviors, I've not really been paying much attention to the basslines specifically, more just the overall package but I don't think it's in his top 5 performances on an album.

I think the criticism Mike gets post Warning is a little overstated by some people. Like you can absolutely hear the bass all throughout those albums, it's just generally a lot more simple the vast majority of the time

• Like 2

Is it me or Father to a Son sounds slightly more quiet than the rest of the songs? Like the master volume was reduced a bit. 

Have you ever used "ballyhoo" in conversation? How about Ogliarch? 

52 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Really, I'm not hearing that much more from the basslines on Saviors than we've gotten since American Idiot. Like, yeah it is better but it still has nowhere near the best basslines on a Green Day album. It's more in the mix than it's been since Warning but the actual basslines don't seem all that better than the basslines we've been getting since then. The bass just has certain moments to shine generally from AI onwards rather than being an integral part of the entire songs like it tends to be pre-AI. Maybe I am understating Mike's work a bit on Saviors, I've not really been paying much attention to the basslines specifically, more just the overall package but I don't think it's in his top 5 performances on an album.

I think the criticism Mike gets post Warning is a little overstated by some people. Like you can absolutely hear the bass all throughout those albums, it's just generally a lot more simple the vast majority of the time

This. 

He really hasn't changed his style at all since probably Nimrod IMO. He has a very specific role in the band and they rarely deviate from that. 

As a famous rock bassist, Mike is fine - but GD are a power trio. He doesn't need to be a virtuoso. His basslines work just as well as they do on any album, but let's not pretend he's revolutionized his performances on this album. They're just unusually prominent in the mix for a post-AI GD release.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Have you ever used "ballyhoo" in conversation? How about Ogliarch? 

How about 'loon(e)y (tunes)'?

Where's the promotion for this álbum? After the release date nothing happened, just some random Interviews and nothing more. 

Weird. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, legendary said:

Where's the promotion for this álbum? After the release date nothing happened, just some random Interviews and nothing more. 

Weird. 

Desd silence for four months when the tour starts?  That would be rough.    I want a singles fest, a dump if you will.   Goodnight Adeline, 1981, just keep them coming and see how they do.  

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

The American Dream Is Killing Me - 10,636,357 (+93k)
Look Ma, No Brains! - 6,667,713 (+83k)
Bobby Sox - 3,291,885 (+120k)
One Eyed Bastard - 5,512,604 (+125k)
Dilemma - 7,284,679 (+124k)
1981 - 1,747,615 (+74k)
Goodnight Adeline - 1,616,020 (+65k)
Coma City - 1,393,489 (+52k)
Corvette Summer - 1,410,518 (+54k)
Suzie Chapstick - 1,441,781 (+62k)
Strange Days Are Here to Stay - 1,337,108 (+54k)
Living in the '20s - 1,297,758 (+55k)
Father to a Son - 1,112,146 (+42k)
Saviors - 1,090,631 (+42k)
Fancy Sauce - 1,055,952 (+41k)

TOTAL - 46,896,256 (+1,086,766)

I can say with utmost confidence that my song coming out right before Saviors did not hurt their streaming numbers....much. 

😉

• Haha 1

Off topic but I just won a day for the first time, Jan 29 ❤️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clockwise said:

Nah, the bass on this album is absolutely on fire. They let Mike off the leash for an entire album for the first time since the 90's and it's glorious!

I am so tired of these claims. Y'all are really sleeping with Trilogy stuff, huh?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, The 99th revolution said:

How about 'loon(e)y (tunes)'?

it has nothing to do with looney tunes. Loony bin is just another word for asylum

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

The American Dream Is Killing Me - 10,636,357 (+93k)
Look Ma, No Brains! - 6,667,713 (+83k)
Bobby Sox - 3,291,885 (+120k)
One Eyed Bastard - 5,512,604 (+125k)
Dilemma - 7,284,679 (+124k)
1981 - 1,747,615 (+74k)
Goodnight Adeline - 1,616,020 (+65k)
Coma City - 1,393,489 (+52k)
Corvette Summer - 1,410,518 (+54k)
Suzie Chapstick - 1,441,781 (+62k)

Suzie is doing great

2 hours ago, Miko said:

I am so tired of these claims. Y'all are really sleeping with Trilogy stuff, huh?

I love the trilogy and there's a few moments where Mike is really allowed to shine, but not as consistently as on this record.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

I love the trilogy and there's a few moments where Mike is really allowed to shine, but not as consistently as on this record.

Well it's a trilogy so of course it's not going to be as "consistent" but there's at least 8 or 9 songs on the trilogy where Mike really stands out on the trilogy and not just because he's louder on the mix but because the basslines are actual pretty great. Off the top of my head: Nuclear Family, Kill the DJ, Makeout Party, Stray Heart, Nightlife, Dirty Rotten Bastards, Missing You all have stand out basslines on the trilogy. The little bass solo on the Baby Eyes demo is also fantastic and I wish that made it onto the studio version. It just sounds so much less interesting when it doesn't open up with that bassline. I pretty much never listen to the studio version of Baby Eyes solely for that reason.

I would absolutely put Mike's work on the trilogy above Saviors and it's not even really close imo

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

The bass wasn’t taking as much of a priority in the mix post-Warning. Not insulting his playing at all. Of course there became a lot more instruments to compete with. He no longer plays “lead bass” like when they were only a trio, but I do notice the bass standing out more than it’s been lately *aside* from solos. Obviously a bass solo you’re gonna hear the bass really well, but I don’t know I just think this album is mixed really well because the bass feels more expressive than AI, while still feeling very big (unlike the trilogy which, while I enjoyed it, felt more like a record my friends made in their bedroom than the stadium rock band the band has become — but again, I like both — oddly enough I find 21st CB to be the worst produced album). 

26 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Well it's a trilogy so of course it's not going to be as "consistent" but there's at least 8 or 9 songs on the trilogy where Mike really stands out on the trilogy and not just because he's louder on the mix but because the basslines are actual pretty great. Off the top of my head: Nuclear Family, Kill the DJ, Makeout Party, Stray Heart, Nightlife, Dirty Rotten Bastards, Missing You all have stand out basslines on the trilogy. The little bass solo on the Baby Eyes demo is also fantastic and I wish that made it onto the studio version. It just sounds so much less interesting when it doesn't open up with that bassline. I pretty much never listen to the studio version of Baby Eyes solely for that reason.

I would absolutely put Mike's work on the trilogy above Saviors and it's not even really close imo

I’m not trying to say Mike’s playing is better on any one record — just that the mix of Saviors makes me start to feel it’s better than AI. However, I do much prefer the drum sounds of AI … the snare drum in some of these Saviors songs doesn’t feel very snarey to me, if that makes sense. I LOVE the big guitar sound in AI, but I also love Saviors for feeling like the guitars vary a lot more onto song in tone. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Those are all very cool parts! But there's cool bass parts in pretty much every song on Saviors and like @Lauren said, he's playing "lead bass" again on this record like he did in the 90's, which really elevates the record and is an essential element of the "classic Green Day sound." So for me, as much as I love the trilogy, and those moments you pointed out are certainly highlights, Saviors just has Mike doing what he does best in a way the last two records typically don't.

And you're absolutely right about the Baby Eyes demo. Love that intro.

• Like 3

This was my face the first time I listened to the album the whole way through = :D. I literally couldn't stop smiling. That right there says a lot 

• Like 4