Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

15 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

RAK, United, and Henson. By the way, since it only lists these 3 studios, it kinda debunks the theory that Mike had to record his parts remotely while Billie and Tré were in London. What even made us bring up that discussion anyway?

Because when Billie and Tre were first in London Mike was in Austin. There were still covid travel restrictions when they began their work. He may have joined shortly after, but that was in October 2021

After over a week with the album, I think I would rank the songs like this:

1. Dilemma
2. Strange Days Are Here to Stay
3. Goodnight Adeline
4. Bobby Sox
5. Suzie Chapstick

6. Coma City
7. Fancy Sauce
8. The American Dream is Killing Me
9. 1981
10. Look Ma, No Brains!
11. Corvette Summer
12. Living in the 20's
13. One Eyed Bastard
14. Saviors
15. Father to a Son

Strange Days is 100% my type of song, only narrowly missing the top spot because Dilemma is just unbeatable - and I'll be seriously upset if it ever gets dropped from their setlist. Coma City and 1981 were unexpected growers for me. On my first listen they seemed like typical fun Green Day tracks, nothing standout. Now I get a rush from 1981's bridge and that awesome outro of Coma City. I don't mind that the song sounds like Static Age had a baby with 99 Revolutions.

While I enjoy every track on the album, One Eyed Bastard feels lacking to me. It's got great riffs and energy, but the lyrics are as meaningless as you get. Probably will be a banger live, though. As for Saviors, it doesn't quite hit the mark for me either, but its place in the album does add some reflective depth. And I hate to say it, but I've skipped Father to a Son a few times; it just disrupts the album's flow, b ringing it to a halt.

But let me be clear: I absolutely adore this album. It's my favorite since the post-21CB era, and that's a big deal because I have a deep love for the trilogy and RevRad. This album, though, is definitely special.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

What did he say?

I forget which interview now as there have been so many, but he said something like Saviors was one of the first songs he wrote (and we know he wrote ADIKM during covid) and thought that's it, that's what we'll call the album.

25 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

RAK, United, and Henson. By the way, since it only lists these 3 studios, it kinda debunks the theory that Mike had to record his parts remotely while Billie and Tré were in London. What even made us bring up that discussion anyway?

Chris Dugan's post mention Henson Studios and @pacejunkie punk's daughter had either seen or heard (I forget which) that they were in Henson Studios so it when she was nearby so it was nice to see it mentioned.

5 minutes ago, jengd said:

I forget which interview now as there have been so many, but he said something like Saviors was one of the first songs he wrote (and we know he wrote ADIKM during covid) and thought that's it, that's what we'll call the album.

Chris Dugan's post mention Henson Studios and @pacejunkie punk's daughter had either seen or heard (I forget which) that they were in Henson Studios so it when she was nearby so it was nice to see it mentioned.

The first songs written were TADIKM, One Eyed Bastard (demoed in 2020), Corvette Summer (GDFan2019 said it was in a FOAM-era vid or something) and Saviors (according to the interview you described), if I'm right.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jengd said:

and we know he wrote ADIKM during covid)

Before Covid. I thought he said he wrote it for FOAM but decided not to do it because he wasn’t ready to dive back in to politics just yet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But if he wrote tadikm before Covid then the lyrics prob weren’t done til after the Jan 6 riots on the capital. That lyric “my country under siege, on private property”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alf said:

Billie said to Radio X and on the interview from Rolling Stone France that he rewrote the lyrics for American Dream for the new album

That's what I asked myself! 

• Like 1

I am gonna be obliterately honest about my opinion of 'Saviors'. Starting with 'The American Dream is Killing Me'. I absolutely DISLIKE this song just because I feel its too over played and I heard it too much. It feels overplayed and its a little too long for my taste. 2/10 for The American Dream. Next would be 'Look Ma, No Brains!' I like this song. Its not my favorite but it has a nice groove, good length and its INSANELY catchy. 8/10 for Look Ma, No Brains. Bobby Sox is a sweet little song, but I dont like the chorus or lyrics. I love the USE of his vocals, the screaming is heavenly..but its repetitive with him just singing "Do You Want To Be My Girlfriend/Boyfriend", its kind of cringe but good nonetheless. Bobby Sox gets a 6/10 for me. Next is "One Eyed Bastard" and THIS SONG, HAS to be one of the best songs on the album for me but its a very intense mix. I love this song, the lyrics and its just like classic Green Day. One Eyed Bastard gets a 9/10 for me. Dilemma gets a 4/10 for me just because of how much its played, I get tired of it very easily and i dont know if its just me but I feel this song doesnt FIT at track 5 because of its tempo. I like the reasoning for the song, just not how much its played. I love the rock though. So 4/10 for Dilemma. 1981 is a 10/10. It's fast, catchy, classic green day. I feel like I would hear this from something like Uno, Dos, Tres. The main lyric "She's gonna bang her head like 1981" seems a bit eh. But the whole song is INSANELY good, so 1981 gets a 10/10 for me. Goodnight Adeline gets a 2/10. It's too slow and bores me. And not to mention it has a long length for a slow song so 2/10 no doubt. Coma City is a fast song, and I love it because of the jam in the end, the whole song feels like a jam to me. I love it. So it gets a 9/10. Corvette Summer is a 1/10. I don't like it and its my LEAST favorite song ON THIS ALBUM. Its EH. Its not as catchy as I thought it was going to be. 1/10 Corvette Summer. Suzie Chapstick gets a 7/10 because its CATCHY and its a bitter sweet slow song. I love it so it gets my love honestly. 7/10 for Suzie Chapstick. Strange Days Are Here to Stay is a 10/10 song because it has AMAZING melodies and its a VERY good and genuine good song. I love the class guitar riff that billie joe uses in a lot of songs such as Basket Case, etc. Strange Days is a REALLY good song. Catchy, Melodic, etc. Perfect song. 10/10 Strange Days Are Here to Stay. 8/10 for Living in the '20s. Its a genuine rock song, I love the concept and the song info. The lyrics make sense and its nonsensical. Its a genuine good song, but its not PERFECT. Its a 8/10. Father to a Son has good vocals, but it sucks. Its a sad song I know but I dont like it. I should use better words than just "it sucks" but I am gonna be really honest here, I am not a fan of Father to a Son. So I give it a 4/10 Father to a Son. Saviors man, I REALLY love this god damn song man. The lyrics and chorus is SO CATCHY and SO FUN to SING too. Its ONE of MY FAVORITES. 10/10 Saviors. Last but not least...Fancy Sauce. I had mixed feelings about this song, I never really understood what this song MEANT but I realized its about going insane, I am not perfectly sure but it feels that way. I love the guitar riff, the main one. It sounds so sad and so melancholy but somewhat fun to play. It sounds like its fun to play. I really started to love Fancy Sauce as time went on. I love it and its probably my favorite song on the whole album besides saviors. 10/10 for Fancy Sauce.

Last is Fever and I have heard it. Its a 5/10. I am not really a fan of it so I don't really like it. I was hoping for more. It sounds like Father of All and I don't really like father of all besides Sugar Youth.  

This is it and thanks for listening to my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

1 minute ago, Mato said:

^^you know that Enter key on the keyboard? Try to use it sometimes :) 

I am on phone.

1 hour ago, jengd said:

She was on a tour of Henson studios with her group and took a photo of the guys sitting outside having lunch there that day. I have the photo but can’t post it here. It was May 2022 I think.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

If TADIKM and Dilemma get low scores because they were overplayed, I'm pretty sure that's just your fault for overplaying them. I don't think they've been overplayed on the radio (especially Dilemma) and I don't think you can really give songs that low of a score because you chose to listen to them until you were sick of them. Also weird to give CS a 1/10 and then go "It's EH". 1/10 is an awful score for a song you think is awful. It's not a "this song is EH" score

Its not that, I don't know if its just me but I don't feel they are it. I believe there is better choices then these 2 songs.

4 minutes ago, JordanAtaide8290 said:

I am on phone.

You can tap return and space out paragraphs on your phone.

See? 🙂

No offense but when a post is one long paragraph like that I just skip over it. Just makes it easier for others to read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

She was on a tour of Henson studios with her group and took a photo of the guys sitting outside having lunch there that day. I have the photo but can’t post it here. It was May 2022 I think.

Can you upload it with imgur or giphy?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t have accounts with those and don’t want to make one. I initially kept them private because she took them sneakily so they’re like pap photos. I didn’t feel comfortable sharing them. Now that the album is out and it isn’t a spoiler I would, I just haven’t put it anywhere public so can’t link to it here. I’m on the fence about making an insta or reddit post because they were just having lunch it feels a little intrusive to share it. I can’t make up my mind about it. 

BUT YOU'RE FRIEND WITH THE BAND IT'S OKAYY

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

You can tap return and space out paragraphs on your phone.

See? 🙂

No offense but when a post is one long paragraph like that I just skip over it. Just makes it easier for others to read.

I am insanely stupid, I'm so sorry.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think I'm one of very few people who has the title track in my favourites. It's not my absolute favourite but I'd put it in my top 5 of the album. It's a very simple track with a very simple hook and on my first couple listens, it didn't particularly stand out. But it's only grown on me over time and think it's elevated by concluding the main themes of the album. It kind of acts as a climax to the album in the same way American Eulogy or Homecoming does to their respective albums but would also work as a closer too in the same way that See the Light does, if Fancy Sauce wasn't the closer. It's a bit of a weird title track, I don't think title tracks usually act as these big end of album songs and for Green Day, it's the only title track that doesn't take place within the first 3 tracks of an album

No, I LOVE the title track saviors. If we could all rank our favorite title tracks, I’d go with

1)21CB

2) SAVIORS

3)MM 2020

4) Warning

5) AI

6)Rev Rad

• Confused 1

Here is my rank list for Saviors.

15. Goodnight Adeline - Its a slow song, kinda bores me. Idk about you, but its not my taste.

14. Father to a Son - Its slow, but it has nice melodies and amazing vocal work. But its a very repetitive lyrical song so..its ranked 14.

13. Corvette Summer - Its an alright song. I love the groove but its not my type of vibe.

12. Dilemma - I feel like it doesnt fit track 5 because of its tempo but SOMEHOW it fits well while going into 1981. I don't really like Dilemma though.

11. Suzie Chapstick - its a slow song but somehow it gets my love. I love the lyrics. Its an amazing song, I wish I can put it higher but there is better.

10. The American Dream is Killing Me - Its catchy but its not my favorite. The solo is the base of every green day solo so I place it at 10.

9. Coma City - Its fast, catchy, a good jam and good head bop. Its just like classic green day. I feel like this would be good as a revolution radio style song.

8. One Eyed Bastard - Its rock, classic and awesome. I love this song SO MUCH.

7. Bobby Sox - I don't really like this song much but I love the instrumental. Its rock. And good. I dont like the lyrics as its kind of cringe. But its cool nonetheless.

6. Look Ma, No Brains! - Its fast, catchy and classic. It sounds like Green Day and Feels like Green Day. 

5. Living in the '20s - Its genuine ROCK. I love the guitar riff and its so FUCKING amazing. I love this song.

4. Strange Days Are Here to Stay - I love this song because of how melodic and catchy this is. I love this song and the meaning. It's SO GOOD.

3. 1981 - Its FAST, CLASSIC GREEN DAY. I LOVE the chorus and just EVERYTHING about this SONG man.

2. Saviors - Insanely catchy chorus, catchy everything. I love this title track. Its so amazing.

1. Fancy Sauce - I feel this is a song we have all been waiting for and green day delivered us with a masterpiece. Maybe thats too HUGE to say, but from my mind its a masterpiece.

This is a update to my last ranking all the songs because it sucked ass.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JordanAtaide8290 said:

I am gonna be obliterately honest about my opinion of 'Saviors'. Starting with 'The American Dream is Killing Me'. I absolutely DISLIKE this song just because I feel its too over played and I heard it too much. It feels overplayed and its a little too long for my taste. 2/10 for The American Dream. Next would be 'Look Ma, No Brains!' I like this song. Its not my favorite but it has a nice groove, good length and its INSANELY catchy. 8/10 for Look Ma, No Brains. Bobby Sox is a sweet little song, but I dont like the chorus or lyrics. I love the USE of his vocals, the screaming is heavenly..but its repetitive with him just singing "Do You Want To Be My Girlfriend/Boyfriend", its kind of cringe but good nonetheless. Bobby Sox gets a 6/10 for me. Next is "One Eyed Bastard" and THIS SONG, HAS to be one of the best songs on the album for me but its a very intense mix. I love this song, the lyrics and its just like classic Green Day. One Eyed Bastard gets a 9/10 for me. Dilemma gets a 4/10 for me just because of how much its played, I get tired of it very easily and i dont know if its just me but I feel this song doesnt FIT at track 5 because of its tempo. I like the reasoning for the song, just not how much its played. I love the rock though. So 4/10 for Dilemma. 1981 is a 10/10. It's fast, catchy, classic green day. I feel like I would hear this from something like Uno, Dos, Tres. The main lyric "She's gonna bang her head like 1981" seems a bit eh. But the whole song is INSANELY good, so 1981 gets a 10/10 for me. Goodnight Adeline gets a 2/10. It's too slow and bores me. And not to mention it has a long length for a slow song so 2/10 no doubt. Coma City is a fast song, and I love it because of the jam in the end, the whole song feels like a jam to me. I love it. So it gets a 9/10. Corvette Summer is a 1/10. I don't like it and its my LEAST favorite song ON THIS ALBUM. Its EH. Its not as catchy as I thought it was going to be. 1/10 Corvette Summer. Suzie Chapstick gets a 7/10 because its CATCHY and its a bitter sweet slow song. I love it so it gets my love honestly. 7/10 for Suzie Chapstick. Strange Days Are Here to Stay is a 10/10 song because it has AMAZING melodies and its a VERY good and genuine good song. I love the class guitar riff that billie joe uses in a lot of songs such as Basket Case, etc. Strange Days is a REALLY good song. Catchy, Melodic, etc. Perfect song. 10/10 Strange Days Are Here to Stay. 8/10 for Living in the '20s. Its a genuine rock song, I love the concept and the song info. The lyrics make sense and its nonsensical. Its a genuine good song, but its not PERFECT. Its a 8/10. Father to a Son has good vocals, but it sucks. Its a sad song I know but I dont like it. I should use better words than just "it sucks" but I am gonna be really honest here, I am not a fan of Father to a Son. So I give it a 4/10 Father to a Son. Saviors man, I REALLY love this god damn song man. The lyrics and chorus is SO CATCHY and SO FUN to SING too. Its ONE of MY FAVORITES. 10/10 Saviors. Last but not least...Fancy Sauce. I had mixed feelings about this song, I never really understood what this song MEANT but I realized its about going insane, I am not perfectly sure but it feels that way. I love the guitar riff, the main one. It sounds so sad and so melancholy but somewhat fun to play. It sounds like its fun to play. I really started to love Fancy Sauce as time went on. I love it and its probably my favorite song on the whole album besides saviors. 10/10 for Fancy Sauce.

Last is Fever and I have heard it. Its a 5/10. I am not really a fan of it so I don't really like it. I was hoping for more. It sounds like Father of All and I don't really like father of all besides Sugar Youth.  

This is it and thanks for listening to my opinion.

Last two tracks of the album are the BEST ones (of course i'm not countig fever as parte of It)