Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

16 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Si les GDC Awards existaient encore, vous gagneriez tous les deux le prix du meilleur ami.

Nice! Although we would have a few disagreements on some topics, we seem to help fill the discussions threads.

Would not it be amazing if the first song of the next album continued the instrumental section of "Fancy Sauce"? It has never happened before in Green Day discography.

Edited by TheMostExpressivePrice
Addition.

Just now, TheMostExpressivePrice said:

Nice! Although we would have a few disagreements on some topics, we seem to help fill the discussions threads.

Indeed we do! And most of the time, it's either something pretty funny or a whole song or verse.

11 minutes ago, TheMostExpressivePrice said:

Would not it be amazing if the first song of the next album continued the instrumental section of "Fancy Sauce"? It has never happened before in Green Day discography.

Everytime you quote someone it's in french. 
You're my cousin from France ? Or Canada like me ? 👀

23 minutes ago, TheMostExpressivePrice said:

If Green Day ever create a double album, please do a segue between the last and first songs of both parts! The band never had a chance, even with Nimrod and the working title for Uno Dos Tre: 'Green Day are Dirty Rotten Bastards'.

33 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Chaque fois que vous citez quelqu'un, c'est en français. 
Tu es mon cousin de France ? Ou le Canada comme moi ? 👀

i am a french speaking person, unfortunately neither from France nor from Canada. :(

i suck in English except for Green Day songs and lyrics, so to understand what you say i have the automatic translation on for your posts. i also use online translator to write my own posts, so if they are not correct, blame the translator for not being accurate enough.

On second thoughts, a major disadvantage on a last song of an album connecting to the first of the next is that it does not allow each album have a definitely independent status. Even during 2012, doing so on the three albums would make even more damage on their reception.

22 minutes ago, James! said:

Quelqu’un n’est-il pas surpris par le manque de produits dérivés pour l’album ? 

Optimistic view: The band have no more time available for promoting "Saviours", they decided what they already did was enough and are focusing on their preparations for the "Saviours" tour. More promotion will happen either a few weeks before the tour's beginning, or right after the end of the tour.

Pesimistic view: The band were very disappointed by the mediocre reception from general music audience, so after the last music video they gave up on everything about it and will never come back to it. This might lead to the quicker creation of new content, even a 15th album, in case they think "Saviours" have the same fortune as "Father Of All" (the last is unlikely; we can never be sure enough though).

I mean #4 seems pretty good to me.

• Like 1

Hopefully, Saviors can last longer on the Billboard 200 than FOAMF did. Like you said, that album debuted at #4 in the US as well, but it fell off the chart very very quickly. I think that Saviors can potentially stick around in the public consciousness for much longer due to all of the positive buzz that the album has been getting.

Keep streaming folks!!! 👍🏻

• Like 3

If Saviors tracks were switched with songs from other Green Day albums....I hear there's an upcoming video about Green Day in the distance future coming up.   Some serious Dude Theories with Hubert Sauce on 'em.   

Strange posts are here to stay /  Jillie Bow said "bowie" I listen every day / all the users going crazy / GDC's on the fentanyl now / STRANGE DAYS ARE HERE TO STAaaaYY /  Give me my robot / I'll teach it Spanish on the spot / Strange Days are here stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could also be songs later renamed as the project changed from 72 into Saviors but who knows 

1 hour ago, Flashback said:

America's obsession with crappers and pop tarts and country douches is ridiculous at least UK 🇬🇧 sent a message rock n roll is better 

• Like 1

Spoiler

//off-topic rant//

Here's the point where I get to say I hate US politics and I hate even more the fact that according to every credible political scientist Europe is at most 30 years behind in the trend. That is truly terrifying to me. More than climate change, more than terrorism, more than anything else: US politics in 2024. It's nuts. 

What does this have to do with the charting numbers being kinda weak, you ask? Well, my theory is I think there's a lot of people actively or indirectly boycotting Green Day because they're supposedly a "wOKe glOBaLisT LiBTarD" band now. Now, previously this would not have mattered much. They weren't the greatest supporters of Bush, but we all know how that worked out, largely in their favour. But these days, because of how the internet and streaming algorithms work, that's half or more than half of the US population instantly disqualified from being able to listen to them: The band doesn't even show up on their screen. Why? The algorithm sees to that. It's almost a type of shadow-ban placed on the band for the "wrong kind of target audience". and even if someone from the "wrong side" accidentally did get a recommendation for Green Day, like a glitch in the matrix, they'd still probably reject them on the basis of some video they saw by Ben Shapiro or whichever influencer trashing them as supposed woke, entitled has-beens. Group-think is a real phenomenon. and just to be clear, this is not a left-or-right issue. It's a polarisation and critical thinking issue. Nobody thinks for themselves anymore. Nobody dares to disagree with their own party-line anymore. Nobody believes in common ground, compromise or sanity anymore. Nobody stands up for their own point of view anymore. 

Seriously, US politics is so polarised now, it's insane. There is no middle-ground left. No centre. No cross-party dialogue or common sense. Nada. Everything is niche now, a specific corner or bubble of the internet. a product, purposely built by online marketers to appeal and pander to people's fragile egos. Offend no-one and as a result, you maximise profits. Nothing challenging or dissenting anymore. Just more of what you already like and think. Confirmation bias. Like a bland cocktail full of ego-stroking platitudes. "I'm so right, because in fact, I'm always right and always have been". Who you support politically is now intimately intertwined with what you like to eat, wear, what music you listen to, even who you choose to fk. If you were ever wondering what was happening with our data that we allow to be sold off to third-party companies when registering online, well, this is it. To sell more of the "right" thing back to us. and in 2024's corporate dystopia, the right thing is as much material goods, as it is thoughts/opinions or even our choice of romantic partners. 

It's sickening, really, but it'll only get worse unless people start saying enough is enough. 

//off-topic rant over//

This is, at least in part, what this great album is about. But, almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy, this is also why it cannot ever achieve any great level of commercial success. Because the system it criticises will not permit it. So it is forever damned to be niche. and that's fine honestly, because commercial success doesn't matter in the end. It's a good album. That's what matters.

4 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

//off-topic rant//

Here's the point where I get to say I hate US politics and I hate even more the fact that according to every credible political scientist Europe is at most 30 years behind in the trend. That is truly terrifying to me. More than climate change, more than terrorism, more than anything else: US politics in 2024. It's nuts. 

What does this have to do with the charting numbers being kinda weak, you ask? Well, my theory is I think there's a lot of people actively or indirectly boycotting Green Day because they're supposedly a "wOKe glOBaLisT LiBTarD" band now. Now, previously this would not have mattered much. They weren't the greatest supporters of Bush, but we all know how that worked out, largely in their favour. But these days, because of how the internet and streaming algorithms work, that's half or more than half of the US population instantly disqualified from being able to listen to them: The band doesn't even show up on their screen. Why? The algorithm sees to that. It's almost a type of shadow-ban placed on the band for the "wrong kind of target audience". and even if someone from the "wrong side" accidentally did get a recommendation for Green Day, like a glitch in the matrix, they'd still probably reject them on the basis of some video they saw by Ben Shapiro or whichever influencer trashing them as supposed woke, entitled has-beens. Group-think is a real phenomenon. and just to be clear, this is not a left-or-right issue. It's a polarisation and critical thinking issue. Nobody thinks for themselves anymore. Nobody dares to disagree with their own party-line anymore. Nobody believes in common ground, compromise or sanity anymore. Nobody stands up for their own point of view anymore. 

Seriously, US politics is so polarised now, it's insane. There is no middle-ground left. No centre. No cross-party dialogue or common sense. Nada. Everything is niche now, a specific corner or bubble of the internet. a product, purposely built by online marketers to appeal and pander to people's fragile egos. Offend no-one and as a result, you maximise profits. Nothing challenging or dissenting anymore. Just more of what you already like and think. Confirmation bias. Like a bland cocktail full of ego-stroking platitudes. "I'm so right, because in fact, I'm always right and always have been". Who you support politically is now intimately intertwined with what you like to eat, wear, what music you listen to, even who you choose to fk. If you were ever wondering what was happening with our data that we allow to be sold off to third-party companies when registering online, well, this is it. To sell more of the "right" thing back to us. and in 2024, the right thing is as much material goods, as it is thoughts/opinions or even our choice of romantic partners. 

It's sickening, really, but it'll only get worse unless people start saying enough is enough. 

//off-topic rant over//

This is, at least in part, what this great album is about. But, almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy, this is also why it cannot ever achieve any great level of commercial success. Because the system it criticises will not permit it. So it is forever damned to be niche. and that's fine honestly, because commercial success doesn't matter in the end. It's a good album. That's what matters.

Were there really that many people who would've bought or listened to Saviors who didn't already know Green Day's opinions on Trump and just conservatism in general? I mean, I'm sure there were some fans who probably boycotted the band but I think there were just as many people who responded to Elon Musk's complaining about the band who were making fun of him for not understanding the song he was criticizing was already a fundamentally anti-right wing song and if anything, I think it's possible that there was a net positive for the band from that because it only gave them more attention and a lot of people would've come out of that just thinking Green Day is more based than they thought. Before that, I'm sure a lot of the people complaining or praising the band for the lyric change in the AI performance just wouldn't have known Green Day were still making new music or had a new album coming.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

It would’ve been awesome to see them higher on that list, but #4 is still really good! I also thought this was an interesting tidbit: “Green Day’s Saviors starts at No. 4 on the Billboard 200 with 49,000 equivalent album units earned. Of that sum, album sales comprise 39,000 (making it the top-selling album of the week).” Physical media is alive and well in Green Day world.

As a lover of physical media myself, it also pleases me to see actual album sales. However, the problem is that other artists do so much better with streaming. Take this week’s chart for example, according to Billboard, 21 Savage only sold 1,000 albums compared to Green Day’s 39,000. Green Day was far and away the highest selling physical album of the week. However, 21 Savage was able to make up the difference and then some once streaming was counted. It’s a bummer. I bought 4 physical copies on release (2 vinyl, 1 cassette, and 1 CD), but I obviously can’t do that each week. I just hope people continue to stream in the coming weeks, as the physical sales inevitably start to fall off.

• Like 3

I just hope their marketing team pushes the album and the band continues to support the album still a long time before the summer tour…hopefully Dilemma and maybe Bobby Sox starts to chart…hopefully side b will get a single and video treatment in Father to a Son and Coma City…also Goodnight Adeline could do well…sometimes I wish instead of One Eyed Bastard and Look Ma No Brains….that the had Father to a Son and Coma City or Goodnight Adeline as singles and videos…if promotion continue and the label supports it the album will have long term success in streaming and sales and radio play

• Like 2

I don't think #4 is bad! I was sort of hoping they'd do a cd signing like when revolution radio came out. That would definitely help 😅

• Like 1

Are there any lyrical nods to Andy Warhol?   I'm not finding any, but I'm not well-versed in Warholisms enough to know one when I see one.  

12 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Are there any lyrical nods to Andy Warhol?   I'm not finding any, but I'm not well-versed in Warholisms enough to know one when I see one.  

There is. In 1981 - “We live the dream for fifteen minutes of fame” It was Andy Warhol that said in the future everyone would be famous for fifteen minutes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

There is. In 1981 - “We live the dream for fifteen minutes of fame” It was Andy Warhol that said in the future everyone would be famous for fifteen minutes

Oh, and that ties into Fancy Sauce with "I'm so famous, everybody's famous, you're the one that's famous"   NICE!    Now, can you find Yoga Retreats, Dating Apps, Climate Change, Free Weed, John Waters and Quentin Terrentino?  All the other stuff they mentioned in the album blurb is in the lyrics in varying degrees of clarity, but these are stumping me.   And these could be almost impossible to spot, like if Billie wrote "Suzie Chapstick" at a yoga retreat or something stupid random like that.

6 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Oh, and that ties into Fancy Sauce with "I'm so famous, everybody's famous, you're the one that's famous"   NICE!    Now, can you find Yoga Retreats, Dating Apps, Climate Change, Free Weed, John Waters and Quentin Terrentino?  All the other stuff they mentioned in the album blurb is in the lyrics in varying degrees of clarity, but these are stumping me.   And these could be almost impossible to spot, like if Billie wrote "Suzie Chapstick" at a yoga retreat or something stupid random like that.

Yoga retreats - “Gonna join a cult, do a somersault”

Climate Change - “Open your eyes, Dead on arrival under smokey skies”

Free Weed - “Everybody’s crazy, getting stoned and lazy”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1