Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

Rankings, rankings, always hard... There's just so many things that influence where an album will sit in the ranking and an important aspect for me is production. For instance, the production on Saviors is simply better than on Kerplunk or 39/Slappy Hours, as much as I otherwise like or even prefer the songs on there. Editorial decisions about song order / album composition and which songs to cut entirely are also important (I'm looking at you trilogy). RevRad is also let down hugely by poor production and editorial decisions. Who knows where that album would sit with Rob Cavallo and CLA at the helm. With the exception of the trilogy, Green Day's best albums have in my view all been produced by Cavallo and that's not a coincidence. I concur that he is or should be regarded as the 4th member of Green Day. 

Anyhow, with all that in mind, I think my current Green Day album ranking would be the following: 

1. American Idiot

2. Nimrod

3. Dookie

4. Insomniac

5. Warning

6. Saviors

7. Kerplunk

8. 21CB 

9. 1'039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

10. Revolution Radio

11. Uno

12. Tre

13. Dos 

14. FOAM 

This makes Saviors more of a mid-level album when taking into consideration their entire catalogue, BUT also one of their best albums since the 90s. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

I don,t find teaser #1 in the album

That's the chorus of Look Ma No Brains. Just the levels of the guitars are different!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gonzalo17 said:

I don,t find teaser #1 in the album

21 minutes ago, Flashback said:

That's the chorus of Look Ma No Brains. Just the levels of the guitars are different!

Must have been an early take because the released version doesn’t have Billie’s “Wooooooah wooooooah!” part

Also, I can’t figure out what song was featured in the “Play that sound for your dog” teaser

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listened to it once, really good album. Can't wait to get home from work and listen to it while having a few drinks. 

On a forum note, not sure there was a need for a thread for each song, lots of cool interviews and TV appearance threads are gone to page 2, and who ever goes to page 2 😂

• Like 3

Don't get your hopes up too much about the band reaching no. 1 on the Billboard 200, or just having a commercially successful album. While us fans may be enjoying the album, a lot of lesser fans may not enjoy it or just may choose not to listen to it after FOAMF.

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

I don’t usually care for songs in minor keys as it is, but the lyrics about fucking a robot really made me squirm. It was FOAM level of lyrics and makes me wonder if it was an outtake from that one/written around the same time. That whole album’s lyrics just made me feel icky. 

I remember at the listening party thinking “holy dookie this is their best album” and my smile got bigger throughout, until I got to that track. 

oh well, there usually are a couple songs I don’t care for on each record. So many excellent songs on this one though. Bobby Sox is my new all time favorite. 

I think the complaint about the lyrics in Living in the '20s is kinda lame. I don't see that as being anything like the cringe that was said on FOAM or the trilogy

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gdfan2007 said:

Rob cavallo is the 4th member of Green Day. You can’t change my mind. Welcome back, Sir.

Skateboard decks must've lied then! :P

BGzI0oICIAAfsgi?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Liam said:

I’m just going to stop you right there. We don’t need this kinda speculation about Billie’s life nor do we need the biphobia on this site

if you continue you will be suspended 

Huh? Why aren’t you suspending them now? Is there a certain amount of times a person can be prejudiced on here before they get suspended?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Must have been an early take because the released version doesn’t have Billie’s “Wooooooah wooooooah!” part

Also, I can’t figure out what song was featured in the “Play that sound for your dog” teaser

I don't think that one made it onto the album annoyingly, it sounded so sick!

1 minute ago, DanPak said:

I don't think that one made it onto the album annoyingly, it sounded so sick!

You know what? Maybe it could be part of Fever, like the bridge or something

• Like 1

I heard a 45 second teaser of Fever. And apart from having a decent guitar riff, it just sounded like FOAMF in the worst ways

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, jengd said:

OMG! Managed to give myself a busy morning so just had second listen but god, what an album. Hate ranking things at the best of times so not going anywhere near that BUT: vocals are excellent, drums are fantastic, bass is amazing, guitars brilliant, production awesome, loved the mix of tempos, strings in father to  son, couple of longer outros which I love.  Already been said but the lyrics are great, make you laugh, cry, sing along, they’re snottty, sarcastic, clever, smart, funny etc etc all the things we love this band for.  So many earworms!  If you haven’t listened on earphones, do yourself a favour.  I feel like it’s the very best of all their skills showcased here.  Love it love it love it. 

I still haven't given the album a listen. Will be doing it this evening. Your comment gave me chills and I already know  I am going to love it.  What a band!

• Like 1

I'm back after leaving this website for a week. what a GREAT album, absolutely obsessed with everything about it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Huh? Why aren’t you suspending them now? Is there a certain amount of times a person can be prejudiced on here before they get suspended?

Dude what drugs are you on? Been a member since 2016 and now got my first warning 😂 

just let that sink in, people can have different opinions. 

i never did a hate speech or anything like that - i only disagreed that billie is an onpenly LGBTQ singer and that bobby sox is about him wanting a boyfriend 😅 

Just now, DonaldTrump said:

Dude what drugs are you on? Been a member since 2016 and now got my first warning 😂 

i never did a hate speech or anything like that - i only disagreed that billie is an onpenly LGBTQ singer and that bobby sox is about him wanting a boyfriend 😅 

The other day you made fun of a

member in a wheelchair. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The other day you made fun of a

member in a wheelchair. 

„didn‘t you say you are in a wheelchair?“

yeah asking a question is making fun of him. Maybe i was confused because he was texting that ‚he was running to the station‘ 

How can people be so sensitive 😅

2 minutes ago, DonaldTrump said:

Dude, I've been a member since 2007 and it's never been place that tolerate trolling with racism, homophobia, or any other tasteless comments, which we both know are not the same as having a ''different opinion''.

One thing is when people that have ADHD are not being able to control themselves with posting weird shit every day (which is annoying, but somehow tolerable), but the fact that out of all places you came on a Green Day forum with a username Donald Trump is saying enough of you and your interests in here. Please stop provoking or just fuck off. You're not funny.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mato said:

Dude, I've been a member since 2007 and it's never been place that tolerate trolling with racism, homophobia, or any other tasteless comments, which we both know are not the same as having a ''different opinion''.

One thing is when people that have ADHD are not being able to control themselves with posting weird shit every day (which is annoying, but somehow tolerable), but the fact that out of all places you came on a Green Day forum with a username Donald Trump is saying enough of you and your interests in here. Please stop provoking or just fuck off. You're not funny.

I have ADHD but fortunately I have also a brain, it just works differently. People like this are just assholes and deserve space only on 4chan, X or whatever dump of a website they like to throw their shit on atm. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN said:

I have ADHD but fortunately I have also a brain, it just works differently. People like this are just assholes and deserve space only on 4chan, X or whatever dump of a website they like to throw their shit on atm. 

I'm sorry, didn't mean to aim a nasty comment towards people with ADHD, it was rather a passive aggressive comment about certain users on here who spam every day with irrelevant nonsense.

you 

12 minutes ago, HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN said:

You have repeatedly made fun of people caring about this topic (“to my queerlords-gaylords”), provoked the forum by misquoting posts and references on purpose (removing lines of an interview to make it artificially prove your point). 

There is literally a direct quote of Billie describing Bobby Sox as a “queer singalong” (https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2024-01-15/green-day-saviors-billie-joe-armstrong). Just fuck off. 

On top of this you tried to make fun of/and or doubt of a user on wheelchair. 

You are a troll, you have fun poking people to get an angry reaction, you poison the conversation. 

Ah so you just don’t know English. Check a dictionary. How can you find this funny. You must be a very frustrated person to find joy in making fun of discriminated people and even users of this community with disabilities. 

so saying things like ‚fuck off‘ or discriminating me for not speaking english in the same level as you is okay? Sorry that english is not my motherlanguage 🥺