Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

Does anybody have the silver vinyl with gatefold?  I can’t find any images or videos of what it looks like.

Also, somebody needs to watch Corvette Summer the movie and see if Billie lifted every line from it to write Green Day songs like he did with Rumblefish and Outsiders.  Those movies basically wrote the trilogy and Breakdown. 😄 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

It's against the rule you can't post Fever on GDC.

“Teacher! Teacher!”

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Saviour said:

I swear members of this website care more what this fucking Fantano geezer thinks than how the album sounds. Bizarre.

You know who doesn't care what fantano thinks? His ex wife, because she dumped him apparently she gave him a negative review as a husband one star as a lover ouch!

2 hours ago, HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN said:

Updated us sales figures, now it’s predicted at 51K, with 40K album sales and 11K from streams. 

https://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=339294&title=TOP-20%3A-SAVAGE-STAYS-PUT--SAVIORS-LEADS-DEBUTS

That would mean ~6 Million more streams compared to FOAM, and 2K less album sales. Don’t really get how this is possible especially considering all the vinyl variants, but let’s see. 

It doesn’t surprise me that album sales went down from 2020. Physical media just keeps becoming less prevalent. They don’t even put CD players in most new cars anymore! They had a ton of vinyl variants, but many of them seemed limited.

21 savage sucks ass! Americans are retarded 

Morgan Wallen guys a racist dickwad and his music blows! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't expect many things from bands with so many years of career. For me, Green Day was pretty good and consistent untill 2017, RevRad was a great album, also "Back in the USA" GREAT song. The Trilogy had a good bunch of great songs also, they were good albums even though there is a lot of filling. 

It wasn't hard put out a better record tha FOAM, that album was horrible and Saviors beats it, I loved Dilemma, Strange Days..., Coma City, but mostly of the songs are very bland, boring and with one of the worst and cringest lyrics on the Green Day catalogue, like music for commercials. I like that 80's pop/rock in some songs but in general it becomes too bublegum, like some band from the 80s that no one remembers now... The drop D on songs are cool, Green Day can took that sound direction and make interesting things that escape from their conventional style.

It's a decent album, maybe I demand a lot from them because they are my favorite band. The truth is I can't ask that much from a band with almost 40 years of experience, but I don't understand how a band that released nimrod can sound so spineless. 

And Billboard rankings and sales doesn't mean good, and mean nothing in a band of such magnitude, they could record an album with only fart sounds and they would sell millions.

Edited by ricardoverde
  • Surprised 1

15 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

This isn't just directed at you but I don't understand how someone who loved RevRad can think Saviors is just mid. I mean what's cringe about the lyrics in Saviors that wasn't cringe about the lyrics in RevRad and especially the trilogy. The production on Saviors is leagues better than anything they've done since 21CB

Considering they haven't "sold millions" since 21CB, I don't think that it's true that they could record an album with fart sounds and sell millions

Yea, There was some cringest lyrics on that records too, but I think I never saw so many in only one Green Day album. In general terms, I liked a lot more songs from these works.

Edited by ricardoverde

4 hours ago, HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN said:

Updated us sales figures, now it’s predicted at 51K, with 40K album sales and 11K from streams. 

https://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=339294&title=TOP-20%3A-SAVAGE-STAYS-PUT--SAVIORS-LEADS-DEBUTS

That would mean ~6 Million more streams compared to FOAM, and 2K less album sales. Don’t really get how this is possible especially considering all the vinyl variants, but let’s see. 

JFC, how much has physical fallen off if someone can get on an album chart with 50 sales?

20 minutes ago, ricardoverde said:

Je n'attends pas grand-chose de la part de groupes avec autant d'années de carrière. Pour moi, Green Day était plutôt bon et cohérent jusqu'en 2017, RevRad était un excellent album, et "Back in the USA" est également une GRANDE chanson. La Trilogie avait aussi un bon tas de super chansons, c'étaient de bons albums même s'il y avait beaucoup de remplissage. 

Ce n'était pas difficile de sortir un meilleur disque que FOAM, cet album était horrible et Saviors le bat, j'ai adoré Dilemma, Strange Days..., Coma City, mais la plupart des chansons sont très fades, ennuyeuses et avec l'un des les paroles les plus pires et les plus grinçantes du catalogue de Green Day, comme de la musique pour des publicités. J'aime ce pop/rock des années 80 dans certaines chansons mais en général ça devient trop bublegum, comme certains groupes des années 80 dont personne ne se souvient maintenant... Les drop D sur les chansons sont cool, Green Day peut prendre cette direction sonore et rendre intéressant des choses qui échappent à leur style conventionnel.

C'est un album correct, peut-être que j'exige beaucoup d'eux parce que c'est mon groupe préféré. La vérité est que je ne peux pas demander grand-chose à un groupe avec près de 40 ans d'expérience, mais je ne comprends pas comment un groupe qui a sorti nimrod peut paraître si veule. 

Et les classements et les ventes au Billboard ne signifient rien de bon, et ne signifient rien dans un groupe d'une telle ampleur, ils pourraient enregistrer un album avec seulement des sons de pet et ils en vendraient des millions.

So, according to you, they should give up on songwriting after the first commercial/receptional failure and become monks somewhere over the rainbow? Even if they had not a single fan, Green Day would keep recording because they are obviously in love with this process.

Side notes:

1. "Father Of All..." was still a good album, no matter if it does not reach many of the other band's albums' levels. "Saviours" is also a record miles better than [the vast majority of the modern music], but unfortunately each thing has its season. Many new fans will become Green Day fans thanks to "Saviours" - the population of this community is constantly refilled.

2. HOW did you find ''cringe'' lyrics in this album? Besides "Look Ma, No Brains", they have put very much effort in them, as well as the instrumentation. In general they have high recording standards, unlike most of the other musicians i have heard.

3. And finally, think that their work extends in 5 seperate decades. Keeping the same level of success for that long is unnatural.

4 hours ago, HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN said:

6 millions de flux supplémentaires par rapport à FOAM et 2 000 ventes d'albums en moins.

Which confirms that people prefer "Saviours" much more, but due to that exhausting financial crisis they are almost completely unable to buy it in physical form, or a small percentage dislikes the original listening procedure.

Edited by TheMostExpressivePrice
Falsely mentioned "Dookie" instead of ''the vast majority of modern music''.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ricardoverde said:

Yea, There was some cringest lyrics in that records too, but I think I never saw so many in only one Green Day album. In general terms, I liked a lot more songs from these works.

I'm honestly having trouble even thinking of cringey lyrics from Saviors. It's a lot easier to think of cringey lyrics (or at least lyrics that I know others would find cringey) for the trilogy, FOAMF and even RevRad. Even disregarding the cringe moments, I think the more political tracks are written much better on Saviors than RevRad which relies on buzz words and vagueness. The title track and Troubled Times are good examples of this. I don't want to imply that RevRad sucks, I like the album including those 2 songs, but I just think Saviors is the better album, especially when it comes to production & lyrics. Saviors suffers from this vagueness a little bit but not to the same degree, there's a lot more mention of actual things going on and things that we can all relate to in 2024 after the past few years of life

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ricardoverde said:

Oui, il y avait aussi des paroles les plus grinçantes sur ces disques, mais je pense que je n'en ai jamais vu autant dans un seul album de Green Day. En général, j'ai aimé beaucoup plus de chansons de ces œuvres.

Be serious, you really say there are more lyrics in doubt in the new album? Even though "Revolution Radio" had a much more positive response from the public compared to all other works of post "Warning" era, there are plenty of cases where the lyrics are not the best. "Youngblood", "Too Dumb To Die", "Ordinary World", "Bang Bang", "Say Goodbye"... i can not even count the similar examples in the 2012 albums, i almost think they edge out the songs where lyrics are fine. As for "Father Of All...", the GD community still loathes more than 3/4 of the lyrics there. And "Holy Toledo!" is a first example of using Artificial Intelligence in creating song lyrics.

And although i am sceptic for a few songs on this record ("LMNB", "CC"), as a whole the 14th album is the most well written album God's Favourite Band has offered us since at least 2012.

Saviors has some great lyrics but also plenty of duds. The "will you dedicate a song to me" verse in Suzie Chapstick is one of my favorites and I love stuff like "I defy the science of a missing link" in Look Ma, No Brains. But sometimes the album will pull out a stinker like "We stumble down the avenue/like fairy dust and ballyhoo" or the lyric about a robot in Living in The 20s... or saying "we're pedophiles for The American Dream" at the very start of the album. I can look past these because I understand what he's trying to say but you gotta admit they kinda miss the mark in some places.

9 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm honestly having trouble even thinking of cringey lyrics from Saviors. It's a lot easier to think of cringey lyrics (or at least lyrics that I know others would find cringey) for the trilogy, FOAMF and even RevRad. Even disregarding the cringe moments, I think the more political tracks are written much better on Saviors than RevRad which relies on buzz words and vagueness. The title track and Troubled Times are good examples of this. I don't want to imply that RevRad sucks, I like the album including those 2 songs, but I just think Saviors is the better album, especially when it comes to production & lyrics. Saviors suffers from this vagueness a little bit but not to the same degree, there's a lot more mention of actual things going on and things that we can all relate to in 2024 after the past few years of life

I genuinely cannot think of a single cringey lyric from RevRad haha

1 minute ago, baggyshus said:

"I feel like a cello lost somewhere over the rainbow" 😛

I LOVE RevRad forever and it's in my top 5, but there are definitely some cringe-highlights.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Remeber folks people are entited to their opinions, whatever it may be. That person is fine to think Saviors is bland and boring. 

Unless it's this opinion:

19 minutes ago, TheMostExpressivePrice said:

1. "Father Of All..." was still a good album

37 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't think that it's true that they could record an album with fart sounds and sell millions

Now this is a great shout. A fart re-release version of FOAMF.

Farter Of All... 

At least that would be funny. FOAMF just made me depressed.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

JFC, how much has physical fallen off if someone can get on an album chart with 50 sales?

Streaming is just bigger than physical now, at least for pop artists. Streaming accounts for most artists' first week units. But in these cases, it's probably often just because physical copies of the album aren't widely available for people. In the same way that people can chart only having an album on streaming, a band like Green Day would still be able to chart purely from physical album sales. Plus that Drake album has been around for months already and did sell 10,000 pure album sales on its first week (402,000 album equivalent units)

6 minutes ago, baggyshus said:

Saviors has some great lyrics but also plenty of duds. The "will you dedicate a song to me" verse in Suzie Chapstick is one of my favorites and I love stuff like "I defy the science of a missing link" in Look Ma, No Brains. But sometimes the album will pull out a stinker like "We stumble down the avenue/like fairy dust and ballyhoo" or the lyric about a robot in Living in The 20s... or saying "we're pedophiles for The American Dream" at the very start of the album. I can look past these because I understand what he's trying to say but you gotta admit they kinda miss the mark in some places.

I honestly don't even know what that line means in Strange Days so idk if it's even cringey or not. The line about the robot is just funny and actually does describe life in the 20s for some people. It's a commentary on Living in the 20s and people in the 20s are often cringe. On RevRad, I think Youngblood is the main culprit of cringey lyrics I think and tbf I don't think RevRad is really ever as cringey as some people make it out to be but it definitely has its moments. And like I said in my previous comment, I think the lyrical issues for RevRad extend beyond the "cringe" moments

"I woke up to a message in my ass" *insert fart*

1 minute ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Streaming is just bigger than physical now, at least for pop artists. Streaming accounts for most artists' first week units. But in these cases, it's probably often just because physical copies of the album aren't widely available for people. In the same way that people can chart only having an album on streaming, a band like Green Day would still be able to chart purely from physical album sales. Plus that Drake album has been around for months already and did sell 10,000 pure album sales on its first week (402,000 album equivalent units)

I honestly don't even know what that line means in Strange Days so idk if it's even cringey or not. The line about the robot is just funny and actually does describe life in the 20s for some people. It's a commentary on Living in the 20s and people in the 20s are often cringe. On RevRad, I think Youngblood is the main culprit of cringey lyrics I think and tbf I don't think RevRad is really ever as cringey as some people make it out to be but it definitely has its moments. And like I said in my previous comment, I think the lyrical issues for RevRad extend beyond the "cringe" moments

I actually really like the line about fucking a robot despite it being a little odd. Feels like it's mocking the alt right and their weird obsession with new AI tech.

And yeah I gotta give you Youngblood. It's pretty lyrically weak and honestly with Bobby Sox being out it might be one of my least favorite songs about 80. The "fuck you I'm from Oakland" part is great though.

Just now, Thatsername said:

"Je me sens comme un violoncelle perdu quelque part au-dessus de l'arc-en-ciel" 😛

J'ADORE RevRad pour toujours et il fait partie de mon top 5, mais il y a certainement quelques points forts qui font grincer des dents.

To be honest, "Too Dumb To Die" gets a pass because it might be bad lyrics on purpose, hence the name of the song, and there is a different goal in their use. But other examples from "Revolution Radio" might not have the same exception. "High on cellular waves" from "Somewhere Now", the "Supernova, Cherry cola, she's the cedar in the trees of Minnesota" lines from "Youngblood" or even "the silence of a thousand cries" (which might have been a reference to "Minority") in "Forever Now".

Just now, The 99th revolution said:

"I woke up to a message in my ass" *insert fart*

• Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Saviour said:

A moins que ce soit cet avis :

''Oh bless me Lord for i have sinned, it's been a lifetime since i last confessed..." 😢

At least it showed Green Day can escape their "normal" sound (a sound similar for a big era) if they want to. Regardless if the expirement failed miserably at the end of the day. Do not worry, i am not a non-believer; it is my second least favourite Green Day album, a normal ranking i think.

P.S.: Unrelated, but do i have to reach a certain level in order to be able to change my profile picture?

Edited by TheMostExpressivePrice
  • Like 1