Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

11 hours ago, stories and songs said:

I didn’t really get the artwork until I heard the whole album. Now, in context of the more sociopolitical songs, to me it’s just like well, not much we can do now that everything is falling apart around us. A lot of these songs are a mixture of genuine despair and absurdity, like “you gotta laugh that this is how the world ends.”

It also represents the division just like the troubles in Ireland 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2aT96VrXHY/?igsh=amR6ODFta3NxZzl1&img_index=2

I think that "Fritz" song could've been called "On the Fritz"

Also, what are the x's for?  Could they have been voting unanimously for each track?

wow! this must have been a picture from when TADIKM hadn't been included yet. That On The Fritz theory seems plausible, on the internet it says that it means "a piece of machinery that is not working properly." Perhaps it was an old title for Fancy Sauce?

25 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Apparently it’s well on track to be #1. Friday and Saturday numbers had it at 25K units sold. Sunday and Monday have not yet been added. 

Where'd you get that 25k from?

Those behind the scenes pics from Instagram are really cool. I saw Billie Joe using Blue in one of them so I reposted them on my story and asked if he used it on the record. Probably a longshot but curiosity is killing me, haha.

I asked Mike if he used the Gibson Grabber too. Am I a bad fan? Probably.

3 minutes ago, baggyshus said:

Those behind the scenes pics from Instagram are really cool. I saw Billie Joe using Blue in one of them so I reposted them on my story and asked if he used it on the record. Probably a longshot but curiosity is killing me, haha.

I asked Mike if he used the Gibson Grabber too. Am I a bad fan? Probably.

Everybody in the comments are asking for a documentary!!!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Everybody in the comments are asking for a documentary!!!!

It's very likely that they have one already made. It actually being released is likely a matter of how badly people want it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baggyshus said:

It's very likely that they have one already made. It actually being released is likely a matter of how badly people want it.

Oh no doubt!!! When they put out those TikTok teasers, I said they look professionally made, rather than just random TikTok videos in the studio on someone's phone!!!! So those have to be documentary clips!!! But I hope they don't make the documentary a Disney Plus exclusive!!!!

5 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Also, what are the x's for?  Could they have been voting unanimously for each track?

No, that's no voting. Every column represents an instrument (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, ...) and the "x" marks what has already been recorded. We already saw this in Cuatro, seems quite helpful not to lose the overview of the album progress :)

• Like 1

I don't understand why some hate it when green day puts handclaps and cowbells on a song.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nezirath270 said:

I don't understand why some hate it when green day puts handclaps and cowbells on a song.

I think the problem with the handclaps in FOAM was that they were used excessively because they were in almost every single song mostly in the same rhythm. Nobody really complains about the use of handclaps by example in East Jesus Nowhere.

• Like 3
  • Surprised 1

2 hours ago, Nezirath270 said:

I made a reddit post a while back listing all the songs which have (audible) hand claps https://www.reddit.com/r/greenday/comments/15ll12j/all_songs_that_have_hand_claps_in_them/

With the exception of Words I Might Have Ate which has hand claps at the end, hand claps were basically absent from Green Day's music until American Idiot where it started to occasionally pop up.

You can really see the frequency of hand claps increase starting with RevRad. RevRad has 4 songs which contain hand claps. Then Love is For Losers uses them for 7/10 songs. And finally they're used in every song on FOAMF. While I think the complaint has been overblown considering hand claps are far from the biggest problem FOAM has, it is something that was completely overused and didn't really add anything. The hand claps were also more prominent in later songs whereas in earlier songs, they were more in the background just adding a little bit extra. I think the band are aware of the criticism considering the new album doesn't seem to have hand claps in them and the only demo that we heard (One Eyed Bastard) did originally have them but the final version doesn't seem to.

I don't think any of you will be surprised to hear that fantano rated this album a 3/10 (the same rating he gave RR). There's absolutely nothing this band could possibly do which would make him give them anything higher than maybe a 5/10

• Like 3
  • Surprised 1

17 hours ago, Flashback said:

We need a documentary about the whole process of Saviors. It really looks like most of the songs were written for 1972 and for just a few of them they went to Ocean Way.

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They may have recorded just the orchestra there and Father to a Son. They were only there for like a day or two.

And I remember you said your daughter saw them at Henson. I wonder what they recorded there

did anyone figure out the guitar tabs for all the songs yet? or is someone working on it?

i checked ultimate-guitar but seems like only the singles got tabs (i know there are chords but i am specifically looking for tabs)

i could work on tabs but it takes some time and real life is keeping me too busy sadly :/

34 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

The real question is: do I like Saviors? Yes.
Alright so I don't give a fuck about the reviews, good or bad.

Yeah but Anthony Fantano is holier than us.

He also seems to know more about music than god himself.

Ok all joking aside, Anthony Fantano said “Garbagio” as if that’s actually an Italian word… 

Just now, GuitarPunk94 said:

did anyone figure out the guitar tabs for all the songs yet? or is someone working on it?

i checked ultimate-guitar but seems like only the singles got tabs (i know there are chords but i am specifically looking for tabs)

i could work on tabs but it takes some time and real life is keeping me too busy sadly :/

Which song are you looking for? I don’t have time to tab but I may be able to put you on the right track by telling you the chords and keys etc.

39 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I made a reddit post a while back listing all the songs which have (audible) hand claps https://www.reddit.com/r/greenday/comments/15ll12j/all_songs_that_have_hand_claps_in_them/

With the exception of Words I Might Have Ate which has hand claps at the end, hand claps were basically absent from Green Day's music until American Idiot where it started to occasionally pop up.

You can really see the frequency of hand claps increase starting with RevRad. RevRad has 4 songs which contain hand claps. Then Love is For Losers uses them for 7/10 songs. And finally they're used in every song on FOAMF. While I think the complaint has been overblown considering hand claps are far from the biggest problem FOAM has, it is something that was completely overused and didn't really add anything. The hand claps were also more prominent in later songs whereas in earlier songs, they were more in the background just adding a little bit extra. I think the band are aware of the criticism considering the new album doesn't seem to have hand claps in them and the only demo that we heard (One Eyed Bastard) did originally have them but the final version doesn't seem to.

I don't think any of you will be surprised to hear that fantano rated this album a 3/10 (the same rating he gave RR). There's absolutely nothing this band could possibly do which would make him give them anything higher than maybe a 5/10

Im pretty sure he conveniently skipped like 5 tracks in his review. So basically add 5 points for the tracks he purposely skipped and you got the real score 8/10.

Fantano is trash. Imagine having no talent and being a loser when you were in high school. Now he’s the internet’s “most famous” music nerd. Or what is it the “busiest”? Guy, you live in your mom’s basement reviewing mumble rap records you are the opposite of busy. Took him over a week for this one too like holy fuck dude get some help for that wanking addiction.

Anyways has he even learned a chord on guitar yet? Guy knows fuck all about music. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Robbie1039 said:

I’m having a lazy day at home and have this playing in the background and I gotta say, I don’t think I can ever forgive you guys for pointing out the 21 guns guitar solo sounds like the Full House theme song.  Damn!  Good job with the podcasts!  Also can’t believe how many cool shows you’ve been to!

Lol once you hear it you can’t unhear it! That was a thing people loved to point out back in 2009 when it came out, ha. Thanks for listening! And yes, I’ve been seriously lucky over the years.

14 hours ago, That Dude said:

I was bouncing between the album and this podcast on the way home from work.  Couldn't decide which one I wanted to hear more!  I'm an hour and 11 minutes in so far.    Can't wait for you guys to get through all the songs....it's going to be a long time and at least 1000 hours of podcasting lol.  

I am still just listening to the new songs and skipping all the singles.    Goodnight Adeline was great the first time and keeps getting better.   Suzie has cooled down a bit for me and Strange Days is my absolute favorite.  Fancy Sauce is another highlight, but gosh darn even the worst ones Coma City and Corvette Summer rock hard. 

Thanks Dude! We should get you on the podcast one of these days! Yeah our goal is 1,039 smoothed out hours of podcasting lol

• Like 3

@Clockwise, just wanted to say, I also am enjoying your podcast, just not enough time to listen to very much just now. I will though.

• Love 1

59 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Now i'm starting to hate songs with hand claps hahahaha just kidding.

16 hours ago, TheMostExpressivePrice said:

According to many listeners, it was "Black Eyeliner" (a "Nimrod" long lost song which met again surface thanks to the 25th album anniversary), in terms of lyrics.

Since "Warning" is my joint favourite album i would love to listen to them if they exist.

Senseless note: Has anyone sharper than me found other song titles' reference in "Saviours" songs? i only found "She" (not so difficult), "All By Myself" -if it counts- in "Look Ma, No Brains" and "Say Goodbye" in "Goodnight Adeline". It seem[ed] like a consistent tactic until "Father Of All...", although most titles' references were coincidental or forced.

May i ask you to capture a photo or a screen shoot, for us who have chosen not to own an Instagram account?

Yes I know about black eyeliner, it's the thing I talked about

+ I found "rest" in fancy sauce