Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

I still didn't get my order from the official store, anyone else in Europe still waiting? Only listening on Spotify sucks, I want my vinyl and booklet to read the lyrics. I hope it arrives today😣

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Thatsername said:

I still didn't get my order from the official store, anyone else in Europe still waiting? Only listening on Spotify sucks, I want my vinyl and booklet to read the lyrics. I hope it arrives today😣

I never ever got orders from Green Day store on time. Always one or two weeks later. (Austria)

• Sad 4

My top 5 so far:

1. Coma City

2. American Dream

3. Look Ma

4. Goodnight Adeline

5. Fancy Sauce

I think the chorus to "corvette summer" would've been better if they fleshed it out more  it's too repetitive, I like the fuck it up on my rock n roll but I think drop a bomb on my radio would've sound better to complete the verse 

• Sad 1

Could Goodnight Adeline refer to Pat Magnarella?

Adeline Records - founded by Billie and Jason - was closed in 2017, right when they split. The song was maybe written in the FOAM era as Butch Walker is playing acoustic guitar on it.

Btw do we know anything about why Green Day and Pat went separate ways?

• Like 4

@Christian's Inferno! Only today i realized why i did not like "Coma City" that much: because i found it unoriginal. The verses remind me very much of "Lights Out", the famous "21st Century Breakdown" era b-side, and the chorus is very similar to "Hearts Collide", the other known "21st Century Breakdown" b-side. My other notes on the first comment stand still.

This song and "Look Ma, No Brains" are the only ones i do not enjoy from an otherwise great album, which deserves much more than simply a nomination. In my country people get crazy if the local or American (no offense) pop artists say a random word, but no one, besides the local GD community, which is very small, literally knows anything about "Saviours". So bad. Almost disturbing.

In other thoughts, why do we not start considering a potential setlist for this summer? Starting with the newly released LP, i think the songs which will be played most from that album during the "Saviours" tour will be the lead single, which i think is going to be performed in every single concert, "Look Ma, No Brains" (unfortunately, will be the 2nd most frequent off this album), "1981" and "Father To A Son" (in order to ''replace'' one of the less happy songs, such as "Wake Me Up When September Ends" or "21 Guns"). Songs which will be performed much, but not as often, will be "Bobby Sox", "Dilemma" (it was a real single and a very pleasant experience, but let us get serious, Billie Joe can not perform all those vocal notes for many shows) and "Coma City" (because all of you find it interesting somehow and as history has proven, band plays mostly songs the fans adore). Less than 5[-7] times is what i predict for "One Eyed ***tard", "Goodnight Adeline", "Suzie Chapstick", "Living In The 20s" and "Saviours". "Strange Days Are Here To Stay" might get one or two live performances. Lastly, "Corvette Summer" and "Fancy Sauce" are the songs i am almost certain they will not be played at all, having the same fate as "Say Goodbye", "Outlaws" and "Bouncing Off The Wall" in "Revolution Radio" era.

Only songs from the regular "Hella Mega" tour setlist to be dropped will be either "21 Guns" or "Wake Me Up When September Ends" -for the reasons explained above-, then "Jesus Of Suburbia" (it is a hit, but they need more time in the setlist), assumably "Hitchin' A Ride" (only songs from "Nimrod" that people seem to enjoy are "King For A Day/Shout" and "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)") and, lastly, "Brain Stew". Note i am telling what songs i believe will be dropped, not what i would like to remove.

And let us be serious again, neither "American Idiot" nor "Dookie" are going to have full performances, despite what has been speculated. My prediction is that alongside the massively played singles and "St. Jimmy" will simply add "fan's favourites" songs such as "Burnout", "Chump" (for the iconic transition to "Longview"), "She", "Give Me Novacaine", "Letterbomb" and "Homecoming". Not in full, because as i have read in Reddit and other GD fan pages, "F.O.D.", "Are We The Waiting?" and "Extraordinary Girl" seem very disliked, thereas i doubt Green Day would perform songs not all fans seem to like. The October events where "Dookie" was fully performed were an exception!

(P.S. When "21st Century Breakdown" celebrates its 20s in 2029, will they perform regularly other songs than the two overplayed (since 2021) singles? Will other albums such as "Insomniac", whose 25th birthday was spoiled by the virus, or "Warning" get similar treatment?)

Edited by TheMostExpressivePrice
Yes, i remember the album track is only "King For A Day", but "Shout" has been a consistent following for the last 21 years (not guns), this is why i mentioned this form.

3 hours ago, ThranaM said:

Il n'y a pas de "bas bas" ni de "hauts hauts", ce qui en fait simplement un album vraiment stable et bien produit.  

On one hand this is positive and helps for healthier critics about the album. Probably you mean that for most people who like Green Day, because some like me have a few ''low points", as well as a couple of "high points", but not as extreme as other albums.

On the other hand, however, variety on reviews on songs of the same album builds faster an album's character. Take for example "21st Century Breakdown", my favourite Green Day record (alongside "Warning"). There are many songs which in most fans' mind are absolutely favourites, in their respective Top 20 or even higher, while at the same time there are a few songs, usually deep cuts, which for them is very low; in my case, i have 6 "21st Century Breakdown" songs in my first 20s, but at the same time another song, "Horseshoes And Handgrenades", is in my least favourite 15.

Another example are the 2012 albums. Most songs are usually very negatively reviewed, but others are quite positively criticized. "Uno!" for me has a few of the worst Green Day songs ever, but at the same time others such as "Rusty James" are among my favourites. This view does not apply as successfully to other albums, especially "Father Of All..." and "Kerplunk!", which do not vary that much musically and technically.

fav tracks,

goodnight adeline

coma city

living in the 20s 

strange days are here to stay

dilemma

but regardless all the tracks are good!

I'm on about 4th listen (I can't just repeat stuff these days, it needs to digest) 

Overall its a really strong album. I've definitely warmed to it quicker than I did with Revolution Radio. 

Is it better than the best of the Trilogy? Maybe not IMO, but since that project is bogged down with too much filler and crap songs it can only be judged on its own merit. 

Is it better than 21CB? No. 

But does it contain their best song since AI? Yes.

If anything a number of the songs are notably overly repetitive (Bobby Sox and 1981 are guilty of this) and strangely the title track is arguably the weakest song on the record. 

I think in terms of album rankings for the band it probably sits smack bang in the middle of the pack, which is definitely positive considering they've been doing this shit for 30+ years. 

14 hours ago, That Dude said:

So during Father of All, Green Day said they wanted to put out more music more often.   But then we waited four years for Saviors.  It was worth the wait, but do you think Green Day need that much time to do a great record every time?  Can they start giving us more music but with their knowledge of what most like and dislike, make them well liked?   Can we get Green Day 15 earlier than 2027 and it be hated on by most of you fools who said they turned pop or the foam flipped, yall the reason that BJ ain't been getting no sleep.  So bump yall, all yall.  If you'll don't like foam, bleep you, yall gonna mess around and turn Green Day back into the old Green Day.   Wait...I burst into spontaneous Dr Dre for some reason.   😄 

Do Green Day now need 4 years to make beloved records or can they do quality quicker?

Next album 2028 based on the 4-year wait pattern for revrad-saviors

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThranaM said:

The day of release started pretty fucking shitty for me, a day that I had been counting down to for weeks.

Went to the record store to pick up what was supposedly a hand signed indie CD and a indie vinyl on friday. Heart pumping. 
But, turns out that the store had forgot to order everything prior to release, so they had nothing at all. The only version they can get now is the regular black vinyl..
Went out the shop with nothing, getting serious flashbacks to 2019 where I ordered a uncensored version of Father of All vinyl (which they just made 1000 copies of I believe?), this one never even left the GD store. Never got an explanation to why I never recieved it, but hey, I got som digital mp3 files instead for free 🙃 

Saviors is a great fucking album and the diversity and different sounds really come together as a complete album.
There's no "low lows" and no "high highs" which just makes it a really stable and well produced album.  
You can place almost every song on that album into another, some fits AI, others fits Nimrod. 
Saviors combines all the different sounds and styles that GD has produced over their enitre career.
Well fucking done boys. 

Hope you got atleast a refund for your uncensored father of all. If not then you got an mp3 for the price of a vinyl which is a rip-off

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThranaM said:

The day of release started pretty fucking shitty for me, a day that I had been counting down to for weeks.

Went to the record store to pick up what was supposedly a hand signed indie CD and a indie vinyl on friday. Heart pumping. 
But, turns out that the store had forgot to order everything prior to release, so they had nothing at all. The only version they can get now is the regular black vinyl..
Went out the shop with nothing, getting serious flashbacks to 2019 where I ordered a uncensored version of Father of All vinyl (which they just made 1000 copies of I believe?), this one never even left the GD store. Never got an explanation to why I never recieved it, but hey, I got som digital mp3 files instead for free 🙃 

Saviors is a great fucking album and the diversity and different sounds really come together as a complete album.
There's no "low lows" and no "high highs" which just makes it a really stable and well produced album.  
You can place almost every song on that album into another, some fits AI, others fits Nimrod. 
Saviors combines all the different sounds and styles that GD has produced over their enitre career.
Well fucking done boys. 

I've been hearing lots of people say similar things about trying to get a copy at their record store only to find the store didn't get enough or even anything in. I wonder what's going on for these to get such low stock. And it sucks because the point of the pre order is to reserve a copy and stores can't even honor that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, steve46 said:

I never ever got orders from Green Day store on time. Always one or two weeks later. (Austria)

Still haven't received it. It's supposed to be this thursday... and that's just the Saviors CD + shirt.
I don't wanna know about my signed CD.... probably in a month.

• Like 1

I hope the band explains their use of the artwork more. What it means to them in the context of the record.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flynn said:

I really wish the CD didn't come in a digisleeve ngl :(

Same 😑 I hate digisleeves. Not great for protecting CDs. It feels like I'm going to either break the CD or the case whenever I'm handling it. At least we got a thicker sleeve and a booklet. I just received my copy of Ultra Q's new album and was disappointed to find the thinnest digisleeve ever and no booklet 😫

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

Same 😑 I hate digisleeves. Not great for protecting CDs. It feels like I'm going to either break the CD or the case whenever I'm handling it. At least we got a thicker sleeve and a booklet. I just received my copy of Ultra Q's new album and was disappointed to find the thinnest digisleeve ever and no booklet 😫

I haven't even opened mine yet because I didn't want to bend the digisleeve like I did with the other. Knowing there's a booklet at least lets me design something in the cheap jewel case holders I have...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I hope the band explains their use of the artwork more. What it means to them in the context of the record.

I'm firmly of the belief they just thought the picture was cool. It's an incredibly striking shot, after all. Without any idea of context could just signify youthful rebelliousness or something. 

Probably one of a bunch that was suggested to them by some graphic designer somewhere with no real indication of its backstory (i.e. the Troubles) and it certainly has no connection to any of the songs.  

There's nothing more to it than that. No deeper meaning. I'm almost certain of it now that I've heard the record. 

Was its usage in poor taste? Arguably. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Saviour said:

I'm firmly of the belief they just thought the picture was cool. It's an incredibly striking shot, after all. Without any idea of context could just signify youthful rebelliousness or something. 

Probably one of a bunch that was suggested to them by some graphic designer somewhere with no real indication of its backstory (i.e. the Troubles) and it certainly has no connection to any of the songs.  

There's nothing more to it than that. No deeper meaning. I'm almost certain of it now that I've heard the record. 

Was its usage in poor taste? Arguably. 

But the picture of the boy has been altered, his face is different than the original. Only copyright issues or is there more meaning behind it? I'd like to know too.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Nezirath270 said:

Hope you got atleast a refund for your uncensored father of all. If not then you got an mp3 for the price of a vinyl which is a rip-off

Yep, got a refund, but it really sucked.
The only upside to this is that FOAM a pretty forgetable album, so the loss ain't that big imo. Still, it's a shame.

33 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

I've been hearing lots of people say similar things about trying to get a copy at their record store only to find the store didn't get enough or even anything in. I wonder what's going on for these to get such low stock. And it sucks because the point of the pre order is to reserve a copy and stores can't even honor that.

Yeah, I've also heard that story, but in my case they told they literally forgot to order the vinyls and cd's, unless they're lying 😁
Really sucked that I had such a bad experience this time as well.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

But the picture of the boy has been altered, his face is different than the original. Only copyright issues or is there more meaning behind it? I'd like to know too.

They would've bought the rights to use the photograph from Chris Steele-Perkins which more than likely wouldn't have required them to change his identity. The photograph has been public for 40+ years.

It's been altered because... well, showbiz. The original lad has been given a good old fashioned Hollywood smile.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN said:

Nerd look at these numbers: 

8,5 Million streams is worth ~5.700 album sales when it comes to charts (1500 streams = 1 album sale). This is in two days and only from Spotify. 

FOAM got 6000 equivalent album sales in a week (considering all streaming platforms), about 9 Million streams in a week. 

Unless I am missing something I think this is a good indicator of Saviors doing much better than its predecessor. 

Those spotify numbers are based on worldwide listens though, not just the US which is what Billboard is concerned with. I think it is going to do better than FOAMF in terms of streaming numbers, for its first week and probably just in general I'm sure it will surpass FOAMF's numbers at some point

I'm pretty sure the 40-50k estimate from HitsDailyDouble is probably including streaming in its estimation though. So if that estimation is correct and the album is doing better in terms of streaming, actual album sales might be lower for the new album than FOAMF, which got 48k units (42k from album sales). So assuming Saviors also gets 48k but does better in streaming (like 10k+ units), then that's 38k album sales. Of course the 40-50k estimate could be wrong too. I wouldn't be surprised if FOAM gets closer to 60k or something