Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

2 hours ago, CocaColaX said:

Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I will have to disagree with those comments (here and elsewhere) saying this is their best album since AI. It’s not.  American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are still their best albums  especially as whole cohesive works, and including the album artworks. Don’t get me wrong, I like the majority of songs, but just can’t get into Corvette Summer, Bobby Sox, Father to a son (it may be a grower), and Fancy Sauce (sounds like a Teletubby song to me). Favourites are Look Ma, Dilemma, Coma City, 1981, Saviors, Strange Days, Suzie Chapstick, Goodnight Adeline.  I would have to put it on a par with FOAM, as I only disliked 2 songs on that album.  This one does have more tracks though, but unfortunately no Graffitia  (their best song since AI & 21CB, along with Back in the USA).  And the album artwork is terrible (not as bad as FOAM though), remember when everyone complained about Rev Rad - it looks fantastic compared to this one.

Much as I would like to see them play American Idiot in full, I’m not forking out over £80 to stand in a “field” in sunny Glasgow, especially since last time they booked Bellahouston Park It got cancelled due to the weather. 🙃 

Well hey fellow Scot, or at least person living here!  I have to point out that they played Bellahouston in 2022 as part of Hella Mega (and very good it was too) and the cancelled concert had far more to do with an idiot promoter than the weather.  Yes, it had rained a lot but you need to put hard standing under a stage, you can’t just build it in grass!

When I woke this morning I was thinking, can the album really be as good as I thought yesterday, I can confirm, yes it is ❤️

• Like 2
  • Love 2

41 minutes ago, Lenny said:

The fact its a debate at all shows that both records are excellent 

Completely agree. 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think we're going to continue to see comments dismissing 21CB from people who love this album. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, I think it's better than all the album after 21CB, and if people prefer it to 21CB and think it's their best since AI, good for them. But people/critics were saying the same thing about RevRad, how that's the best album since AI, and I'm sure a lot of the people who were saying that don't even listen to RevRad anymore

I think Saviors easily beats FOAM. While I liked Graffitia and think Stab You in the Heart is genuinely really underrated, Saviors has at least 5 songs that I'd favour over anything on FOAM and there isn't any song on Saviors that I dislike whereas FOAM has a few songs I dislike. The worst songs are One Eyed Bastard and Suzie Chapstick for me but these tracks are still ok and are a small part of the full album.

I didn't know what to think about the album art when I first saw it but idk, it's grown on me. It's better than FOAMF, it's better than RevRad's. I might even put it ahead of the trilogy covers though I don't mind those ones either. I think it fits well enough with the songs. It's far from their best cover but it's ok

Green Day and blink will be competing the same year. And I think blink will have the advantage here. The return of Tom, the success that album has had is really good for a rock album in 2023, fans seem to love it, critically it seemed to have done fairly well with a 71 on Metacritic. The fact that it released in October 2023 may result in people getting somewhat tired of it or it getting somewhat forgotten by the time the 2025 grammys come around which is the grammys both albums are eligible for.

I don’t see Blink’s advantage tbh. I think they had a strong year last year but to be honest they’ve disappeared since. I think the album built hype due to the scenario and not the music itself. 

Green Days busking videos have gone viral, the grey cup halftime was also massive for them. That was just the beginning. The boys are back and Blink are just not at that level. Green Day is blazing through 2024 with the momentum. Of course timing plays a part in that. 

I’m not saying it won’t be a hard decision but the grammy’s also are an event for producers and engineers etc. Chris Lord Alge’s work is much much better than the work on Blink’s album. That will definitely be in consideration as well. 

At this point the chance of both losing is probably the highest though lol

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jengd said:

Well hey fellow Scot, or at least person living here!  I have to point out that they played Bellahouston in 2022 as part of Hella Mega (and very good it was too) and the cancelled concert had far more to do with an idiot promoter than the weather.  Yes, it had rained a lot but you need to put hard standing under a stage, you can’t just build it in grass!

When I woke this morning I was thinking, can the album really be as good as I thought yesterday, I can confirm, yes it is ❤️

Sorry, my mistake re Bellahouston, I didn’t really follow the Hella Mega tour new dates etc after the Covid cancellations/rescheduling etc.  Does it really hold more people than the SECC, or do bands only go to the Hydro now?  I saw them in 2009 and 2010 at the SECC, great memories.  And yes I am Scottish 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Thanks 1

Oh boy here we go again...

Anyways I love the new blink record and I really enjoy Saviors so far (I'll give it time though) so I'm so happy both bands went back to do what they do best.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Lenny said:

I don’t see Blink’s advantage tbh. I think they had a strong year last year but to be honest they’ve disappeared since. I think the album built hype due to the scenario and not the music itself. 

Sometimes that's enough. I think winning the Grammys isn't really even about the music sometimes. Tom's return and the fact that the new Green Day singles seem to not be doing as well as blink's singles is probably enough for them. Of course I don't want to count Green Day out of the win. They totally could win Best Rock album or some other Grammys in the rock categories but I do think blink is more likely. There's also the possibility that another rock band comes around with a new album that beats both blink and Green Day

Green Day have had their Grammys (well deserved). Blink never got that kind of acclaim, I'd be happy for them to win. Knowing what a shitshow the Grammys have become though they probably both won't be nominated and also best rock album is a category that's not even televised or given on stage. Sad really if you think about it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CocaColaX said:

I saw them in 2009 and 2010 at the SECC, great memories.  And yes I am Scottish 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Me too, what a pair if shows!  

6 hours ago, Miko said:

More I listen this album, more I like Corvette Summer. Definitely my favorite song so far. I just love stupid and simple stuff, what can I do about it?

My ranking (as from favorites to least favorite) looks something like this. I love almost all of them so it really doesn't matter that a song like LMNB is at bottom 5, they're (almost) all bangers.

1) Corvette Summer
2) Dilemma
3) American Dream
4) 1981
5) Living in the '20s
6) Father to a Son
7) Bobby Sox
8. Strange Days
9) Goodnight Adeline
10) Coma City
11) One Eyed Bastards
12) Look Ma, No Brains!
13) Saviors
14) Fancy Sauce
15) Suzie Chapstick

Corvette summer #1 let’s go!  I haven’t ranked them yet but corvette summer is at least tied with a few songs for number 1 😎

• Love 1
  • Surprised 1

Anyone know of any other albums already released or releasing soon that will be a likely contender of the rock category of Grammys. For reference, it would need to have been released September 16th 2023 or later. Only band I can think of Sum 41, who I wouldn't expect to win or even be nominated but the fact that this is their last project/tour  before they break up may make the difference. I find a win very unlikely for them but getting nominated is definitely very possible

• Like 1

It would be so cool if they are nominated or win. But the past few years especially it seems like the Grammys couldn't care less about the rock genre. It's like they don't know what good music is anymore 

• Like 1

For those interested in sales figures…
https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=339252&title=NEW-RELEASES:-GREEN-POWER

Green Day’s 14th studio album, Saviors (Reprise), is headed toward a first week opening in the 40-50k range. This puts the set on par with the band’s last release, Father of All Motherfuckers, which opened with 48k in February 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Cali89 said:

It would be so cool if they are nominated or win. But the past few years especially it seems like the Grammys couldn't care less about the rock genre. It's like they don't know what good music is anymore 

They don’t even air the rock categories on TV anymore most of the time. 😕

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cali89 said:

I think the rock category for this year looks pretty promising. I want Paramore to clean up. Their most recent album was great

Just now, dudley dawson said:

Saw this on reddit. I think it's probably a bit early to accurately predict first week sales. I'm sure it's not far off but it wouldn't surprise me if they get a bit higher than expected. Maybe closer to 60k

10 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

They don’t even air the rock categories on TV anymore most of the time. 😕

So ridiculous! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lenny said:

Cant wait for Fantano to come out like a fool on this one tbh. He’s a closet Green Day fan but he’s also a closet Republican so he’s been battling hard with his demons for years.

The fact that this is a great album during an election year is going to break him. He still doesnt even know how to elaborate on his feelings that’s why we’re a week out and still no review.

I saw Dan Frampton’s review who I find a bit more light hearted and silly in some way. However, his Saviors review was really predictable. Obviously he was going to love the first half of the album and not the more sophisticated parts. I wonder if he only likes 1 half of London Calling…

Good closing track. Im listening to this album with no particular order though. I havent had my ocd moment with fancy sauce yet but I like it.

Good ole Danny Fram, he says he's not going to play his annoying gatekeeper character anymore, which is interesting.   Fantano might do the 'not good' move with Saviors where he doesn't score it but just complains about it for 5 minutes and then says "not good".  

My son likes what he's heard so far.  He sung along to Goodnight Adeline in the car.  

4 hours ago, vladiclas said:

Can someone tell me if the song from the 2021-12-19 teaser has finally appeared on the saviors album?

Sounds like an earlier version of look ma no brains.  You can hear the suicide lyric at the beginning and the chords match up.  

• Like 1

If it winds up with 40,000-50,000, that puts it debuting around 5-8 if you look at last week's stats.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Montclare said:

If it winds up with 40,000-50,000, that puts it debuting around 5-8 if you look at last week's stats.

FOAMF debuted at no. 4 with 48,000. It just depends on the week really. Depends on what albums you're up against

• Like 2

So it was supposed to come Tuesday but it arrived today my autograph limited edition Saviors arrived 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Anyone know of any other albums already released or releasing soon that will be a likely contender of the rock category of Grammys. For reference, it would need to have been released September 16th 2023 or later. Only band I can think of Sum 41, who I wouldn't expect to win or even be nominated but the fact that this is their last project/tour  before they break up may make the difference. I find a win very unlikely for them but getting nominated is definitely very possible

Sum is the only one I can think of