Saviors - Album Discussion

Liam

35 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

Fancy Sauce would be great! But I think since we're going into summer, Corvette Summer would be perfect.

I thought Corvette Summer could serve the same purpose as Rock and Roll All Night, just a fun classic rock vibe interlude

• Like 1

It seems Saviors is getting way less negative jabs than previous albums.ย  ย I wonder how, if at all, this will affect future albums.ย  Saviors serves up variety while not straying too far off the beaten path, I think we could see a string of albums like this, like Nimrod.ย  a lot of variety that works within the Green Day universe.ย  ย  ย 2 or 3 albums like that, and then maybe another one that's more of an epic, Idiot style album followed by maybe a Foxboro Hot Tubs style album under the Green Day banner.

So yeah, I've got this figured out through Album 19 or so.ย ย 

ย 

• Haha 1

Today would be a cool day to drop "Father to a Son" as a single.ย  ย Or to play it at a show.ย ย 

Oh well.ย ย 

ย 

• Like 3

Goodnight Adeline should be a single. It has that 21 Guns-esque feeling to it. Might be their only shot at having a โ€œhitโ€ off this record.

• Like 2

They played all the singles at today's show.ย  ย Nice!ย ย 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Goodnight Adeline should be a single. It has that 21 Guns-esque feeling to it. Might be their only shot at having a โ€œhitโ€ off this record.

One of my favorites. Just donโ€™t like the messy mixing in the chorus.

It's really exciting that they are playing all five singles a good bit.ย  ย  They haven't done that consistently since American Idiot.ย  They did it with RevRad but no other eras.ย  ย  Breakdown shows could have used Last of the American Girls, but they opted for the more popular deep cut, Last Night on Earth.ย  ย  ย  ย  But yeah, Green Day playing new hits is a HUGE deal.ย  ย  ย Especially since it goes against the grain of playing two albums every night.ย  ย  ย I'm excited to see what the future holds for Green Day.ย  ย  ย The "one-twenty-one hits, the same every night" has been shaken up and now that all the pieces are loose, can evolve into something greater.ย ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, That Dude said:

It's really exciting that they are playing all five singles a good bit.ย  ย  They haven't done that consistently since American Idiot.ย  They did it with RevRad but no other eras.ย  ย  Breakdown shows could have used Last of the American Girls, but they opted for the more popular deep cut, Last Night on Earth.ย  ย  ย  ย  But yeah, Green Day playing new hits is a HUGE deal.ย  ย  ย Especially since it goes against the grain of playing two albums every night.ย  ย  ย I'm excited to see what the future holds for Green Day.ย  ย  ย The "one-twenty-one hits, the same every night" has been shaken up and now that all the pieces are loose, can evolve into something greater.ย ย 

ย 

ย 

I think if they did a tour were they played no hits, just random songs from each album, would be a dream in the same level as getting full Dookie and American Idiot live was. Unlikely to happen, but a girl can dream ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, billy1986 said:

Insomniac and Nimrod in full would be amazingย 

And Warning

• Like 3

Green Day should just play for 4 hours every day for the rest of time.ย  ย  And two show a day, minimum.ย 

If they could stick Still Breathing in somewhere, that would be cool.

ย 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Saviors is a return to Green Day sticking with 2-3 minute songs for most of a record.ย  ย They started doing longer songs on warning and continued all the way up to Revolution Radio.ย  They had multi part songs from Idiot to Revolution Radio.ย  ย Father of All was as excursion into The Short.ย  ย  I wonder if they will do any more multi-movement songs again.

ย 

ย 

• Like 2

Suzie chapstick would be a good single and video but I seriously doubt we will get anymore releases they seem ready to focus on the anniversary of American Idiot sucks because doing that they become closer to being just another nostalgia act out touring for memories hope that doesn't happen but crush entertainment already told weezer no new music this year because they need to celebrate blue album anniversary instead unfortunately they have the same plans for green day they only see them as greatest hits packages

• Like 2

On 7/2/2024 at 3:28 AM, ekim said:

Suzie chapstick would be a good single and video but I seriously doubt we will get anymore releases they seem ready to focus on the anniversary of American Idiot sucks because doing that they become closer to being just another nostalgia act out touring for memories hope that doesn't happen but crush entertainment already told weezer no new music this year because they need to celebrate blue album anniversary instead unfortunately they have the same plans for green day they only see them as greatest hits packages

I really hate the new thing where every band is doing anniversary shows.ย  ย Hopefully the next Green Day album cycle will see them shaking off this nostalgic-bone and celebrating the new album along with the classics.ย  ย  Even this is being hopeful at this point, but a setlist with 15-16 big hits and 3-4 new songs.ย  ย 

• Like 3

In a week it's been 6 months since Saviors was released so I thought I'd put some of my thoughts in to this thread regarding this era and the songs.

- Surprisingly, I find a lot of joy of seeing Billie having blonde hair this whole time. He loves to have black hair during festival and stadium tours (with notable exception being 21st Century Breakdown Tour where had blonde in 2009 and 2010 and obviously during 90s to Warning era) and I was sure he'd ditch blond for Saviors Tour, but nope. It makes him look younger and shows feel different thanks to it. Not a fan of Tre's hair though, blue doesn't fit him at all.

- I'm not a fan of downtuning Saviors stuff, but it's understandable. Dilemma and Bobby Sox are tough songs to perform live and Billie is not getting any younger and they want to play those songs, but I still prefer their OG tunings.

- I don't hate Suzie Chapstick that much anymore, but I still find it corny and just boring.

- The American Dream Is Killing Me is definitely one of my all-time favorite songs from them. Not just from Saviors, but overall.

- Corvette Summer remains my favorite song from Saviors. I just love how simple and catchy it is. Green Day at their best. It should've been summer single.

- Still no love for Trilogy during this tour, but that was to be expected. I had little hope for non-full album shows they'd chime in Nuclear Family or some other Trilogy song, but nope. Just Dookie/AI stuff.

- 1981 and Look Ma, No Brains! are very catchy songs, but both of them feel too short, whereas One Eyed Bastard should've been shorter. Key change in Goodnight Adeline isn't good either.

- I'm not buying in to Fancy Sauce hype. Only during the outro it feels like a closer, but otherwise it's just bland. Still, I can definitely see why it's liked though.

- Living in the '20s is great, but it honestly bothers me how dry Billie's scream during the outro is. I don't know is it the production that causes it to sound so dry or is that just result of aging or not bothering to record better scream, but it's the only thing that bothers me in that song.

- I'm disappointed with ''Making of...'' videos. They're all black and white, way too short and not a single one of them is showing Billie recording vocals. Maybe they end up releasing documentary movie about making Saviors after the tour is finished, but as it is right now, those videos left much to be desired. Still, it's better than nothing. I've never seen any studio footage from RR and FOAM other than few pictures and obviously Trilogy gave us Cuatro!

- I'm also very critical of Green Day still not updating their social media game to 2024. I've always loved how Metallica posts one live song from each set in YouTube and are generally much more active across all social medias, but Green Day only posts pictures and that's that. Metallica (and surprisingly one of the biggest bands in Finland called Haloo Helsinki! too) also entertained their fans during 2020 lockdowns with free full concerts every week, but Green Day still hasn't given any of that stuff free of charge. I'd love to see them post literally anything (other than SOLD OUT tweets or thank you posts in Instagram) regarding their live stuff, but still nothing. Maybe some beautiful day?

- I'm still yet to form proper opinions regarding Strange Days Are Here to Stay and Saviors. They're harmless, they're Green Day but something is missing from both of those songs.

- Coma City suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Not a fan.

- I also miss seeing them live. They were here last time in 2013 and COVID took away our 2020 show (rescheduled to 2021 and then cancelled), so I'm starting to be really annoyed if they don't end up coming here in the next 5 years. I miss them.

• Like 1

Suzie or father to a son needs to be a single with a video especially with the American tour coming up letโ€™s promote boys!!!ย 

• Like 1

They have hardly promoted since the album release. Missed a chance for a summer single with Bobby Sox which sounds amazing playing in the car or at a sunny outdoor cookout. They either donโ€™t care or their promoters are piss poor. Still, their monthly US Spotify listeners had been rising.

• Like 2

Really?? So Bobby Sox is the next radio single? Source?? Btw Crush management sucks. The band seemed pumped for this album I will never understand Crush and their marketing plan with Green Day

• Like 1