New single - Dilemma - Out December 7th

AnonymWarnerGermany

2 hours ago, Susi Sour cream said:

This so much! The whole FOAM promo just felt so freaking wrong 😕

This article also has a little bit of talking about Dilemma: https://themusic.com.au/news/green-day-australia-2025/_CpC7hEQExI/12-12-23

The exciting news comes following the release of Dilemma, with Armstrong explaining that the track resonated with him deeply due to his previous struggles with addiction.

“I was sober now I’m drunk again / I’m in trouble and in love again / I don’t want to be a dead man walking / I don’t want to be a dead man walking,” he sings on the track, which was inspired by the singer’s addiction issues.

“I’ve struggled with addiction ever since I was a teenager, and I got sober for like five years … I started drinking again and it really started taking a physical and mental toll on me where I just felt like I couldn’t stop, I was a glutton, it became an obsession,” Armstrong said of the personal track (as per Daily Telegraph).

“It started affecting the people around me that I love the most. And so that’s what I wrote about. And I haven’t had a drink in like 16 months.”

The Daily Telegraph article that this is excerpted from is behind a paywall. Is there anyone that has access to it that can share it here? It sounds like another new interview.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The Daily Telegraph article that this is excerpted from is behind a paywall. Is there anyone that has access to it that can share it here? It sounds like another new interview.

If you go here: https://beacons.ai/greendayinc?fbclid=PAAabpi_mXPV7G5JNsF1DNoUQDmUh6mdRaqJdJiOi2ypfJhgj7IdlQAHqIMUc_aem_Ac38DGH9jMYQmkCOh-r8aTvvhngpVb4gBQFoRLrjosWldHuHWBT5R-5zqRZhqTdEoH0

and click on discord you can see scans of the full interview! 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Duhhan1023 said:

Thanks. Seems like that quote is all there was to the interview 

The breakdown part is weird.  I love it, but it's weird.      What is Billie saying here?   At the beginning of the song he says he's obsessed with his problems, so perhaps the "you" here is his problems.   He's falling asleep, falling apart and asking why he's obsessed with alcohol.    Maybe.   What's your take on these lines?   

Oh, why
When I fall asleep tonight
On the wing and prayer
Oh, why
For despair and obsession on you
You, yeah!

3 minutes ago, That Dude said:

The breakdown part is weird.  I love it, but it's weird.      What is Billie saying here?   At the beginning of the song he says he's obsessed with his problems, so perhaps the "you" here is his problems.   He's falling asleep, falling apart and asking why he's obsessed with alcohol.    Maybe.   What's your take on these lines?   

Oh, why
When I fall asleep tonight
On the wing and prayer
Oh, why
For despair and obsession on you
You, yeah!

Woo hoo hoo yeah! Insert 90s grungy riff leading into kick ass solo 

6 hours ago, Duhhan1023 said:

Anything significant talked about here ?

I haven’t read through the thread but on the opening chords (the intro) it ends with a note out of the range he’s playing. 

Error kept for artistic purposes?

Accidental recorded mistake?

Mistake recorded but kept? (Like Michael Jackson’s (“look over your shoulders baby)? 

It’s on the part of the end of “obsession” last note during “sion”. Exactly 16 seconds in on Apple Music.

My personal opinion is its artistic as any musician it would break their ears to hear and it’s not like 300 wouldn’t have heard it on day 1.

I think it’s supposed to be like everything is going well and then “ooops bad note”.

I haven’t been to or watched any show yet or else if he played it, there is the answer but I don’t want to watch live until I am.

It’s actual a single note played just left of the chord middle.

• Like 1

Yes, I hear it too, can only assume it’s deliberate, kind of a musical “fuck”.  They haven’t played it live yet so we’ll have to wait and see.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

To fall asleep (or do anything) on a wing and a prayer means it’s unlikely to happen. He saying he’s lucky if he’ll be able to fall asleep because he’s feeling despair and obsessing over his messed up situation. The guilt and ruminating keeps him up at night.

PJ! So nice to hear from you. I hate to differ off the bat but you know I’m a dick. Jk. Missed and love you.

Its literally dialogue from some old 40s war movie and as a plane is crashing to land he says on the radio “I’m coming in on a wing and a prayer” and it stayed as a coloquial saying (at least in America) ever since.

His plane was all shot up and missing an engine and it makes the landing harder to do. 

So you might be right in that it’s “harder to do” but more to the point it’s that I’m trying with not much to work with and just a prayer and a shitty plane or whatever the metaphor for the plane is.

What that thing is here isn’t quite clear as the criminally underrated BJA lyricist/poet doesn’t always spell it out.

So yeah he’s gonna try and fall asleep on a wing “on the wing and prayer” still think that lyric should say “on A wing and a prayer”

I think you’re just right that it means it will be hard for him to fall asleep in his condition. 

I would love to know when he wrote this song. I’ll bet these lyrics were written during the RevRad tour because he was drinking on half of that tour, imho. 

Hopefully he owns his sobriety, meaning he can bring it back out when he wants or needs to. Long live and love GD and BJA. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

PJ! So nice to hear from you. I hate to differ off the bat but you know I’m a dick. Jk. Missed and love you.

Its literally dialogue from some old 40s war movie and as a plane is crashing to land he says on the radio “I’m coming in on a wing and a prayer” and it stayed as a coloquial saying (at least in America) ever since.

His plane was all shot up and missing an engine and it makes the landing harder to do. 

So you might be right in that it’s “harder to do” but more to the point it’s that I’m trying with not much to work with and just a prayer and a shitty plane or whatever the metaphor for the plane is.

What that thing is here isn’t quite clear as the criminally underrated BJA lyricist/poet doesn’t always spell it out.

So yeah he’s gonna try and fall asleep on a wing “on the wing and prayer” still think that lyric should say “on A wing and a prayer”

I think you’re just right that it means it will be hard for him to fall asleep in his condition. 

I would love to know when he wrote this song. I’ll bet these lyrics were written during the RevRad tour because he was drinking on half of that tour, imho. 

Hopefully he owns his sobriety, meaning he can bring it back out when he wants or needs to. Long live and love GD and BJA. 

Missed you man 🙂 Thanks for that extra background. Hate to disagree back at you but he stayed sober for the first five years after rehab which included the RevRad tour (2012-2017). He resumed drinking again with The Longshot stuff in 2018. This song like the rest of the album would have been written during that five year slip between 2018 and 2022, most likely during the pandemic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if dilemma being in drop d tuning means we might get whatsername on the tour as well. Imagine an encore with dilemma, whatsername, and good riddance... also is it a little greedy of me to want an acoustic version?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alba88geo said:

I wonder if dilemma being in drop d tuning means we might get whatsername on the tour as well. Imagine an encore with dilemma, whatsername, and good riddance... also is it a little greedy of me to want an acoustic version?

My first thoughts were upon hearing the song was of how much it would suit the acoustic encore! 
But it’s such a fucking banger with the full band I don’t know what I’d prefer to see 

6 hours ago, Alba88geo said:

I wonder if dilemma being in drop d tuning means we might get whatsername on the tour as well

That would be awesome! May as well play them back-to-back while the drop-D tuned guitar is out.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alba88geo said:

I think so. They’ve eluded to celebrating Dookie , AI and the new album. I think they know a new setlist is needed and nobody will complain about too much Dookie or AI songs. 

They have played lots from those records historically but they also rotate the same 4-5 songs all the time. 

I’m not in the majority that wishes for no new music. Ive seen lots of rare songs from the respective tours. Songs that will probably never get played again. At the time it’s like oh ok new song and years later it’s a deep cut story.