2024/09/01 - PNC Park, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Lindsay

3 minutes ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

Last night was just the best.

Got to meet @pacejunkie punk and Kevin Preston who was super nice and gave me a pick. Had the best time with @AlissaGoesRAWRand @Laura!.

I can't hear out of my left ear and my right hamstring is so damn tight from jumping around, but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

"Just like that...20 years." 🥹

Earplugs were key. Those explosions were loud and where we were it was all thumping bass but luckily I had no ringing after. The worst part for me was the hours standing in one spot. My right heel is numb today I think it got inflamed or something. Took Motrin hope I get the sensation back. All worth it!

• Like 2

Also...what's up with the giant screens having a really bad delay? There were times where Billie's mouth was not matching up at all with what he was singing. I've noticed this from other people's videos from other shows as well. There were times it was fine, but other times it was brutally behind.

1 minute ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

Also...what's up with the giant screens having a really bad delay? There were times where Billie's mouth was not matching up at all with what he was singing. I've noticed this from other people's videos from other shows as well. There were times it was fine, but other times it was brutally behind.

it's a commom problem everywhere, which is a bummer. I'va never seen screens without a bit of delay

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alf said:

it's a commom problem everywhere, which is a bummer. I'va never seen screens without a bit of delay

Yeah, as someone who works in television, I guess I'm just baffled by how that happens? Must be the program they use or something, I don't know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

Ok, now I’ve had some time to reflect and recover…. I was so caught up in feeling physically bad after the show last night that I didn’t have time to process anything! I do recall feeling very emotional during the show, and in retrospect I feel emotional, too. When Billie said “and just like that…. It’s been 20 years” I fucking felt that 😭 it felt like a goodbye to my youth, for real. 

it also felt really healing to have my teenager experiencing it with me and to give her something I would have chewed my own arm off to have had when I was 15. I gave up my spot on the barricade to a girl who was experiencing her first Green Day concert because let’s face it, I’ve been there and done that more times than I can count! But giving up the barricade gave me space to relax a little more and to just let the experience wash over me. I couldn’t believe I was hearing AI in full and I just closed my eyes and let my 14 year old self live in the moment. 

Felt like the end of an era for me, truly. I will always love Green Day and the music will always mean so much to me… and the door is closed now. I walked out feeling like if I never attend another show, that’s ok. I don’t need to because I don’t need Green Day anymore. I’m whole and happy and healed. They were a huge part of that healing but now that part is over and I’m ready to move on to what’s next. 

I absolutely loved what you wrote (and that you gave your spot to a girl who was there for her first show!). And I wish you had your composure. I also would have given an arm and a leg to see AI live in full in when I was15, and I got to experience it 3 times this summer... but the door didn't close for me. I left the last show incredibly happy and grateful that I got to experience this at all, let alone three times (not in my wildest dreams would I have thought they would do an anniversary tour like this  20 years later AND that I'd have the opportunity to attend), but at the same time so sadden by the thought that that was probably the last time I'd experience that. I do feel whole and happy, but I guess there are some things that didn't fully heal or new wounds that opened since.

• Like 3

@CristhyneS Totally feel you. I feel beyond fortunate that I was able to see this very special anniversary show twice. When it comes to live events, especially for an artist so important to me, I always do my very best to make it happen and not pass on an opportunity to attend, because “I’ll catch them on the next tour” is never a given on my end or theirs, and I just couldn’t live with that type of regret. I can regret plenty of things and move on, but I’m not sure I’d be able to forgive myself if I passed on a chance to see Green Day, because every night with them is the best night of my life and having any sort of regret over them would kill me.

I came out of this show incredibly satisfied and whole and happy and like I left things on a super high note, which is always a nice feeling. But I’m also sad it’s over and hope we keep getting to do this for 20 more years.

• Like 3

Pics from Green Day on Facebook 

080286a4b34754f88b2142e1980de07e2a884279

4e08fa3f7f7eca40a84492daa88ac429b11ad493

afcf269991279608e95d2116d65d02960dd4ec0f

5041bde0e6d49bae0a33ba9d1d01df0e2f4d612b

6842a6a3e77223970efb34ebca6cb49dda45b83b

8e40cec0698b793ac9248dfd991d5e23819c88be

c93d7e97a1cf404762b6d6ab0885306906c8f2c0

e341d9cbb05a31e83fb63e8ddee61f72d60d040f

5a84e229f46d279ec0acdb5b40cb9ce40a3edb38

f8be107adde7be6885129a6ea2e4070a371894e5

a04dd14b406a8cf56eee3537f8a7c07b57aa5243

8eb8bba6d1a33f1e8ceb812b8d9366546c3962d1

5a94673c79c54c878f3b467cfe05071df9c2bf20

b246c1daae5050a59815b941433b22e97957a70c

936bd3fc4a12990df1b7fd8abbb478a2de549565

06841f083d823ef48a82c796b9649bb7de385de2

• Like 3

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

^^^ Also forgot to mention you can see it in the last photo above me but Billie’s face looked bruised and scraped up on one side like he had a fall or got hit by something. He mentioned at the end being really tired it’s such a long set (“We don’t do encores we just fall down at the end”… “and now I want to fucking fall down”)

I honestly don’t know how they’re now gonna do Hershey. These guys really push it to the limit.

False alarm. Turns out I hear it was hair dye smudged on his face from the kid he brought onstage. I would have sworn I saw it there earlier but it was one of those cases of your memory messing with your head I guess. 

• Like 1

@pacejunkie punk I knew that mark appeared after he brought people up for KYE but I couldn’t figure out what it was! I was like geez, that can’t be their makeup smeared all over his face, right? Lol. Hair dye makes sense.

37 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

If I didn't make it to this show I don't think I ever would've forgiven myself. The three days before it were agonizing, but it all worked out in the end.

I didn't realize this was my 10th show until just now! :o

I was so sick that I had to get IV fluids on Friday because I felt like I was going to pass out. I don't even remember much of Friday or Saturday, I slept so much and was so out of it. Sunday morning I finally started to feel better, threw some shit in a bag and headed out the door to Pittsburgh and we made it about an hour before doors opened. 

It's just funny, every other show I try to obsessively plan everything to make it the best time but this time I half-assed everything and I had one of the best times in a long time. Maybe ever. Not because "omg I got to hear rare songs" or "I was front row and Billie looked at me the whole time" or all the dumb shit you hear from fans. I was just happy to be there. I think sometimes we get so busy micromanaging the experience that we forget to have an experience. I didn't take a single picture during the show, I didn't look at the setlist or any photos or videos of other shows, and this was also the first time I had floor seats instead of a pit spot near or on the barrier. But it's forever going to be one of the most memorable experiences.

I have no idea how they'll ever go back to the standard "greatest hits" setlist. Everything was so fucking perfect. I kept waiting for that moment where hearing a song I've never heard live before blew my mind, but it never really happened. I never felt out of body for any one moment, I was really just able to soak it all in and experience it as one giant moment.

... then it all hit me at the end, and I was the basic bitch ugly sobbing during Good Riddance. Embarrassing. :ninja:

"Just like that ... 20 years" hit me so hard. I still vividly remember sitting on my bedroom floor listening to this album in my little portable CD player as a nerdy, sheltered 13-year-old trying to figure herself out. I just don't know how the hell that's been 20 years.

I haven't been shy about posting how much I've been struggling this year. It's been one of the best of my life and worst of my life, and honestly, Sunday night was the first time I have felt like myself in longer than I can remember. I've been having a lot of doubts about myself, but I think 13-year-old me would be proud just based on this photo alone, right? I was fangirling so hard. :lol: 

20240901_162253.jpg

I’m so glad you made it. It definitely wouldn’t have been the same without you! :wub: 

I was definitely emotional during WMUWSE and Whatsername. So you weren’t the only one crying!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

So glad you were able to make it! I was so worried!

The "20 years" line floored me. He didn't say that in Cincy and I was not expecting him to say anything, so it completely caught me off guard. Also, "It's that time again" or whatever he said right before WMUWSE was heavy with the show being on the 1st and I'm sure THAT was weighing on him.

I’m normally not an emotional person when it comes to time passing/getting older. I hate to be one of those people but having a kid has just totally wrecked me, I’m such a fucking pushover now. :lol: 

51 minutes ago, Laura! said:

I’m so glad you made it. It definitely wouldn’t have been the same without you! :wub: 

I was definitely emotional during WMUWSE and Whatsername. So you weren’t the only one crying!

I expected it for those songs! No shame at all there! :D 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

If I didn't make it to this show I don't think I ever would've forgiven myself. The three days before it were agonizing, but it all worked out in the end.

I didn't realize this was my 10th show until just now! :o

I was so sick that I had to get IV fluids on Friday because I felt like I was going to pass out. I don't even remember much of Friday or Saturday, I slept so much and was so out of it. Sunday morning I finally started to feel better, threw some shit in a bag and headed out the door to Pittsburgh and we made it about an hour before doors opened. 

It's just funny, every other show I try to obsessively plan everything to make it the best time but this time I half-assed everything and I had one of the best times in a long time. Maybe ever. Not because "omg I got to hear rare songs" or "I was front row and Billie looked at me the whole time" or all the dumb shit you hear from fans. I was just happy to be there. I think sometimes we get so busy micromanaging the experience that we forget to have an experience. I didn't take a single picture during the show, I didn't look at the setlist or any photos or videos of other shows, and this was also the first time I had floor seats instead of a pit spot near or on the barrier. But it's forever going to be one of the most memorable experiences.

I have no idea how they'll ever go back to the standard "greatest hits" setlist. Everything was so fucking perfect. I kept waiting for that moment where hearing a song I've never heard live before blew my mind, but it never really happened. I never felt out of body for any one moment, I was really just able to soak it all in and experience it as one giant moment.

... then it all hit me at the end, and I was the basic bitch ugly sobbing during Good Riddance. Embarrassing. :ninja:

"Just like that ... 20 years" hit me so hard. I still vividly remember sitting on my bedroom floor listening to this album in my little portable CD player as a nerdy, sheltered 13-year-old trying to figure herself out. I just don't know how the hell that's been 20 years.

I haven't been shy about posting how much I've been struggling this year. It's been one of the best of my life and worst of my life, and honestly, Sunday night was the first time I have felt like myself in longer than I can remember. I've been having a lot of doubts about myself, but I think 13-year-old me would be proud just based on this photo alone, right? I was fangirling so hard. :lol: 

20240901_162253.jpg

I also loved reading your post! (I remember your username from my active days here too! You might not remember me, but I'm always glad to see familiar "faces" still around 😊).

I have loved reading all the recaps from people who, like me, loved American Idiot back in 2004/2005 when they were in their teens, and have now experienced the full album live in this tour 20 years later. It's been so beautiful to see how many different people with this one thing in common, but pretty different life stories otherwise, react to these shows and how it's an emotional journey in one way or another for each of us, whether it's the "this show has made me see that that door is closed now and I feel fully healed" as @Brooklyn Baby wrote, or for you to have an opportunity to feel like yourself again and like you've done your 13 year old self proud... it's just so lovely to read all of this. 🥹

I am glad you were able to enjoy the concert so much and be so present for it (I guess one thing came out of you being sick the days before the show).

And I uggly sobbed each time at the end of Whatsername, not so much because of the song itself (although a bit of that too), but because it was the moment when it hit each time that I had just heard AI live, full and in order as I had dreamed when I was 14. So don't worry, you have not been the only 30-something crying "like a basic bitch" at these shows. I was in the barricade for one of the shows and one of the security guys saw me and poured me a glass of water. Talk about embarrassing 🙃

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

I'm enjoying this show vicariously from everyone's recaps. And there's so much in here that shows why I love Green Day and this community.

@Brooklyn Baby That's so sweet of you to give up your spot for someone seeing GD for the first time. This right here is why I love Green Day fans and GDC in particular. I feel this year more than others I've connected with other fans and we found ways to help each other out. And that's what I love. Too often I hear about fans being shitty to each other, whether it's being a gatekeeper, putting down other fans, or just being greedy. I love that so many in this community genuinely want to help out others. We look out for each other and are happy when someone is fortunate enough to get on stage with the band or meet them (maybe we're a little envious too but we're mostly thrilled). I'm sure the person you gave your spot to will never forget your kindness. You made the show that much better for them.

@stories and songs This is the same reason I said fuck it and saw GD last minute this year. I skipped their recent tours thinking the same thing to myself: they'll be back. I said the same thing about Depeche Mode. They'll tour again. Then one of the members died. I still got to see them, but the band isn't the same. So if you can swing, definitely get to that concert! I'm so happy I saw the band this year because it was a great night. And I went by myself! I'm proud of that :)

@AlissaGoesRAWR I really love your insight about how oftentimes we get so caught up in the planning, the micromanaging of a show that we can forget to enjoy it. I love that you were able to say fuck it and just enjoy yourself. It is such a relief just to be at a show and enjoy it. This is what I learned when I was invited to see Alkaline Trio back in March. I'm not a huge fan of them, but my bf LOVES them. And I really enjoyed just taking in the music, watching my bf have an amazing time, and being a part of a great concert. I wasn't thinking about my spot, being able to see during the show, etc. It was just nice to enjoy a good show. And I tried my best to do that at the Wrigley show. Sure I still took pictures, but instead of being obsessed with getting as close as possible, I just wanted to experience this once in a life time moment.

I know, right?! I don't know which has been the best show of the tour, but this has been the best thread of any show in the tour so far 😂 So many insightful and lovely recaps, feels like Billie Joe chose the right show to make the "just like that 20 years" comment.

And @Brooklyn Baby, @The Grohl is absolutely right that that girl will forever remember that gesture. When I was 18 I had my first Green Day pit concert experience. I was in third row (I arrived like 30 minutes before doors), and the people in front of me noticed me, they were older than me and much taller too, and they were like "you're not going to see anything from there, come here" and let me stand in front of them. From second row I had an unobstructed view of most of the stage, which would not have been the case if they hadn't let me in front of them. I still remember that now 15 years later and it also strongly formed my pit etiquette. I'm fairly short, so not many people will be shorter than me, but I would never let someone shorter than me stand behind me.

• Love 4

35 minutes ago, CristhyneS said:

When I was 18 I had my first Green Day pit concert experience. I was in third row (I arrived like 30 minutes before doors), and the people in front of me noticed me, they were older than me and much taller too, and they were like "you're not going to see anything from there, come here" and let me stand in front of them. From second row I had an unobstructed view of most of the stage, which would not have been the case if they hadn't let me in front of them. I still remember that now 15 years later and it also strongly formed pit etiquette. I'm fairly short, so not many people will be shorter than me, but I would never let someone shorter than me stand behind me.

Fans looking out with each other. That's what it should be! I have a similar experience. The only time I was anywhere near the stage was at the NHL Allstars pre-game performance in 2020. This tall couple was chatting in front of me. They suddenly see me and say "hey wait! You get up here!" And they swapped spots with me. I will never forget. It's such a small act of kindness but it can mean so much. 

• Love 2

19 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I absolutely loved reading your write up. This was my 11th time seeing them and I had a very similar experience to you in terms of how little I planned and how much I enjoyed it. I saw them in Philly last month after months of anticipation and planning — I had my outfit planned super early to be comprised of the oldest and most meaningful merch I own, kept reminding myself about what an incredibly important show it was going to be, and had the entire experience hyper-planned. And then the show ended and I felt…weird. Like I didn’t actually enjoy it how I wanted to, that I focused so much on planning the experience that, as you said, I forgot to actually experience it, and I felt like I barely remembered it after. I was so in my head about the whole thing that I didn’t actually focus on what mattered.

Pittsburgh is 5 hours away from me and I got the tickets a few days before the show. I didn’t have an outfit planned and just wore the tour shirt from Philly, was mostly worried about driving there and going to an unfamiliar city, and just threw it all together on the fly. I just felt grateful to be getting a second chance to see them on this tour and so I didn’t overthink the concert itself at all — I didn’t have time to— and it ended up being one of my top favorite times I’ve seen them. I remember it so well — I had so much fun just taking it all in and feeling present. I only took 5 minutes worth of video and a handful of pics and I’ll treasure them forever because they perfectly encapsulate the night. I’m so happy that I had this opportunity because it ended up being the exact experience I wanted the first time but got in my own way of actually feeling. I took my mom with me and this morning she was like “you know, I just REALLY enjoyed that show, it was so special.” So I think everyone felt that positive energy!

The “Just like that, 20 years” line hit me so hard too, because the entire time they were playing American Idiot, I kept thinking back to all the life I’ve lived with them. I remember watching them play Boulevard of Broken Dreams at the VMAs in 2005 (I was 12 and wasn’t supposed to be watching it without an adult, but I quietly snuck-watched it in my room lol) and was giggling to myself thinking about how Billie still has the exact same moves during the guitar solo now as he did then. Me and the band are so different from when I first found them, and yet we’re still so much the same, too, and the reasons why we simply go together have never changed. When Saviors dropped I felt so in touch with the girl I was when I first fell in love with this band, and I feel that again now after this show.

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

@stories and songs This is the same reason I said fuck it and saw GD last minute this year. I skipped their recent tours thinking the same thing to myself: they'll be back. I said the same thing about Depeche Mode. They'll tour again. Then one of the members died. I still got to see them, but the band isn't the same. So if you can swing, definitely get to that concert! I'm so happy I saw the band this year because it was a great night. And I went by myself! I'm proud of that :)

Exactly! Years ago when Temple of the Dog was on a reunion tour, I thought about seeing them at a small theater show but then decided against it. Chris Cornell passed away shortly after that. I can’t believe I had the chance to experience that special soul and his magnificent voice live and didn’t do it. I don’t like to think about this stuff when it comes to Green Day, but after missing out on that, I promised myself I’d never feel that way about them.

• Sad 3