New album - Saviors - Out January 19th

AnonymWarnerGermany

If you were to tell me LMNB began life as a Network song, I wouldn't not believe you

1 hour ago, localinsomniac said:

If you were to tell me LMNB began life as a Network song, I wouldn't not believe you

You think Fink helped Billie write it? 

8 minutes ago, That Dude said:

You think Fink helped Billie write it? 

If Fink appears on stage and dances just for 1 min and get taken off the stage just like the drunk rabbit, while at the same time GD is performing, it would be amazing. What if it happens?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Reverend Strychnine Twitch said:

If Fink appears on stage and dances just for 1 min and get taken off the stage just like the drunk rabbit, while at the same time GD is performing, it would be amazing. What if it happens?

Fink can handle getting less than ONE MINUTE on stage.   He'd make the most of it instead of whining.   We ain't got time to listen to him do that.     What's strange is that any of the Network people could be at Green Day shows and we'd never know it.    I believe Fink and Van are male, but really we have no idea.     Doesn't look like any of them are featured on Saviors which stinks.   I hope they are all doing alright.   I hear one of them recently got sick but is expected to bounce back quickly.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have shared the two songs with my son who is 5 and my dad who is 62.   They both like it, although my son can understand the words and my dad cannot.    My son's been singing the title of "American Dream" and a whole bunch of lines from "Look Ma".....  hopefully he won't get himself in trouble with this, haha!     He loves the terminal vertigo part - I did have to stop him from TRYING to give himself vertigo.    Lots of vocabulary building with these tunes.    Green Day, making Gen Alpha smarter, woo-hoo!  

I'M WITH STUPID AND I'M ALL BY MYSELF 

I'M SPECIAL AND I DON'T NEED YOU HELP

DON'T PANIC, DON'T PANIC

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SumDay said:

I really like the structure of the songs we've heard so far - nothing too crazy, but still interesting. TADIKM got this third verse after the solo that always gives me a "I'm not done yet"-feeling, perfectly accompanied by the lines about whitewashed-America and suicide in there. LMNB starts with two verses and only has two choruses in total, I don't know if I have ever heard such structure before. 1981 starts with the chorus, both verses differentiate from each other and has this short but noticeably different outro. 

Bouncing of the Wall is two verses followed by two choruses too.

LMNB works much better though.

Edited by devilskind92
  • Like 2

On 11/10/2023 at 6:52 PM, Saviour said:

Alright, hear me out. And I know I'm derailing the topic, but whatever. 

I don't like FOAMF. At all. For the most part, pretty much everything about it is wank, sadly. 

BUT, Teenage Teenager isn't the worst song on the record. The lyrics are absolutely TERRIBLE, but the Weezer-esque choruses are catchy AF. The buildup harmonies in the last chorus are great. If I listen to this record (barely ever) I find myself pretty much only listening to this, Sugar Youth and Graffitia. 

On the whole, in GD's vast discography, it's right down the bottom... but it's not their worst song. 

agreed, I'd go for Fire Ready aim as their worst song on foam personally, though there are some other contenders on the album. Interestingly, Oh Yeah is kinda the opposite of Teenage Teenager, with woeful instrumentation, but alright lyrics. 

I think all in all, Nightlife still takes the win imo, because I think the worst GD song would have to be the worst song from both an instrumentation and lyrical point of view. 

14 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

agreed, I'd go for Fire Ready aim as their worst song on foam personally, though there are some other contenders on the album. Interestingly, Oh Yeah is kinda the opposite of Teenage Teenager, with woeful instrumentation, but alright lyrics. 

I think all in all, Nightlife still takes the win imo, because I think the worst GD song would have to be the worst song from both an instrumentation and lyrical point of view. 

Nightlife isn't even too bad instrumentally. It has a solid bassline and a solid guitar solo

The reason I hate IWATT so much is because I think it's the worst song from both an instrumentation and lyrical point of view

28 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

Well, at least the intro of Fire, Ready, Aim is really cool.

47 minutes ago, AlienVisitor said:

FOAM is a really nice record. If only Rob or Butch vig worked on it

I dont think it changes the album being incomplete. Sure there are cool parts or concepts there but really no cohesiveness to the effort. It was just slapped together to support a big tour.

Id rather have a cohesive 4 song ep than whatever foam was. Either way it led to the band focusing on this one and so far with Saviors I hear something that’s got potential to be a focused album.

The difference between Warning and Foam is one is a successful experiment and the other is a failed experiment. They both give the band new ideas to work with going forward. 

Although, The Network album wasn’t all bad itself. Take the 1-2 good songs from foam and mix them with the better tracks of The Network’s new album and it’s a decent collection of new songs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The Network album was a much more successful experimental effort than FOAM. With MM2020pt2 you don’t even need FOAM.

Where I think FOAM might have been more successful with Rob or Vig isn’t necessarily with the production or sound itself, they still would have gotten the sound Billie wanted, but rather Rob or Vig would have pushed the guys to complete the songs, fill them out, add more parts, more lyrics, etc. Those guys have the ability to stand up to Billie and tell him the truth and make him better in the process. Without that you get FOAM. Walker was just a yes man.

And with either Rob or Vig, the album probably would've been longer than just 10 songs

1, Father of All...

2. Fire, Ready, Aim

3. Oh Yeah!

4, Meet Me on the Roof

5. I Was a Teenage Teenager

6. Stab You in the Heart

7. Sugar Youth

8. Junkies on a Hight

9. Art of the Deal with the Devil

10. Take The Money and Crawl

11. Theory of Reality

12. Degenerate

13. Here Comes the Shock

14. Graffitia

This would bring the album length up to 36 minutes and 22 seconds

Booklet will be predictible with pink and black, right? Booklets are not punk rock.  Anyway.  Glad we've all calmed down on here a good bit.  And honestly, there's not much to discuss now until the album drops. 

1 hour ago, MillenniumFan said:

I agree, but it's hard to see how Cavallo wasn't somewhat of a yes man during the trilogy too. Personally, I think everyone got a little too carried away after the huge success of american Idiot and relative success of 21CB and to be honest, I can totally understand why. Green Day were huge at the time, they even made it on to broadway for god's sake. But as a result, standards clearly slipped and Cavallo, although he could have and should have, did not put his foot down for the most obvious decision of them all, which was that the trilogy should never have been a trilogy in the first place. It's easy to see things in black and white terms looking back, but the trilogy, in truth, is neither particularly good nor bad. In my view, it had a lot of potential but also fell short of their previous work. I think both better production decisions (heavier and more raw guitar sound & fewer vocal filters, see Demolicious for what I mean) and cutting everything down to a single album would have made a HUGE difference. 

In the context of Saviors though (at least what we've heard so far) it seems having Cavallo back indeed leads to better and more complete song-writing, besides the obvious better production choices too. CLA mixing is the icing on the cake. 

I'm confident this is gonna be a great record, perhaps my favourite since 21CB. 

I think billie was so out of his mind during uno dos tre era rob just wanted to get the albums done and move on.

Foam bombed because the song writing and billie's vocals sound terrible his worst performance on record extending the songs wouldn't make them suck any less 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I’m having some good radio vibes today. Just came back from the movies. Short ten minute drive. On the way there I listened to one station — they announced the Saviors tour and a ticket giveaway they’re doing this week. On the way back I listened to another station. Soon as I turned it on TADIKM played and then they announced the tour too. This thing is blanketing local radio stations 

Do you remember if you heard any Hella Mega commercials?

10 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Do you remember if you heard any Hella Mega commercials?

No just deejay announcements

11 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

I think American Idiot was both a blessing and a curse for Green Day for a long time. It proved that they could evolve their sound into something grander, and that it would be incredibly well received. But then, once interviews about 21CB started rolling around, there was just this intense feeling of anxiety coming from them. I think it was less about feeling on top of the world and more about thinking, well shit, where do we go from here? How do we keep improving from American Idiot? First, they tried it with 21CB (which I personally love more than AI, but I don’t think came close to reaching the heights of AI to the general public). I think they kinda started driving themselves mad thinking about how they could keep doing more more more, to the point that it was unhealthy and the trilogy was born. They didn’t quit that mindset until they were literally forced to, and then they came back fresh with RevRad, an excellent album (I think, at least) that embraced their varied sounds and felt authentic. It finally wasn’t trying to prove anything or be anything it wasn’t. It was just a solid, honest album. I don’t think they were freed from the expectations set by American Idiot until that time. And while I’m sure they’d love to capture lightning in a bottle again, I don’t get the sense that they’re so deeply concerned about doing so as they were pre-RevRad.

From what little we know of Saviors, I get the idea it will be similar to RevRad. The two singles, to me, already do a great job of incorporating two unique sounds that are different from one another but are both distinctly Green Day.

On that note it’s interesting how in the Italian interviews they’ve described this album not so much as a further evolution of their sound, but as a bridge between Dookie and AI.  Where those albums are as different as they could be, Saviors promises to be an interesting blend of (or a nod to) both styles.

• Like 3

^Agreed! And I really love that idea. I love that it seems like they’re playing around with some different arrangements and ideas, but doing so in a way that celebrates existing albums instead of trying to prove anything or create something brand new. Their description of Saviors is exactly what I’d want from them at this point in their career and seems like the true successor to RevRad.