New single - The American Dream Is Killing Me - Out Now!

HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN

5 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I still don’t get the hate for the TikTok line. Sure, it’s not subtle, but he’s not singing it from his perspective but from a conservative one. Also, TikTok is a massive cultural phenomenon that is here to stay. It’s not just going to go away like MySpace or something like that. And even if you dislike the line, that doesn’t make the song bad. Turning from “I like this“ to “this is terrible“ just because of one line of lyrics is honestly kind of immature.

Yeah it’s social commentary. If no one can see that social media as a whole is consuming society then:

A) they are what the band is protesting

B) or they walk around with a blindfold on

It’s usually A. I saw one YT reaction where a guy became so defensive over that line. Older dude too which makes it more hilarious.

• Haha 1

I love Fantano and I like his insights generally. And it's not like he just shit on the track. I get why for an outsider the song is meh.

It's the same with the new blink album. People here if they listen to it they will see just another pop punk album from them and Fantano reviewed it like that as well, while the actual fans believe it's the best album we've gotten since 2003.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

Reviewers like Fantano piss me off because it's clear you don't like Green Day at all. That's fine! So why the hell do you keep talking about their music? It's just for views and to get people worked up. As someone who writes about music, I'm not going to bother with an album by an artist I already know I don't like. Because why? I already know it's not for me. To me it's the equivalent of folks who go on music videos of bands they don't like and say "lawl this band sucks." Okay? Why did you click on the video? Spend your time checking out something you are genuinely interested in.

that's why i think music reviewers are usually full of shit. How can you grade something as relative as music, i know for a fact i hate about 90% of the music fantano likes, so his opinion on anything means nothing to me. i guess you could potentially grade music in terms of production and such (but that's also super relative sometimes)

I'm not watching that fantano video because I don't really care to watch. Did he actually have any problem with anything other than the lyrics? Did he think the actual sound of the song was good or at least ok?

• Like 1

i have had a grudge against fantano ever since he gave FOAMF a 0/10 and that's when i realized he's full of shit and he smells bad

Edited by Killjoy From Detroit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm not watching that fantano video because I don't really care to watch. Did he actually have any problem with anything other than the lyrics? Did he think the actual sound of the song was good or at least ok?

He said it sounds better than anything on father of all and that it's okay he just didn't like the pedophiles lyric. He didn't really say anything bad other than that.

• Like 1

I wouldn't get worked up about what fantano says 

He hasn't liked green day since nimrod so he isn't gonna like any of the newer stuff and that's fine

He does make a good point about the "we are pedophiles for" line because I too think it is extremely questionable why you would say that in a song 

At least he likes it better than FOA :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, þjáningu said:

I wouldn't get worked up about what fantano says 

He hasn't liked green day since nimrod so he isn't gonna like any of the newer stuff and that's fine

He does make a good point about the "we are pedophiles for" line because I too think it is extremely questionable why you would say that in a song 

At least he likes it better than FOA :lol:

That's my point. I'm not sure why he keeps reviewing them if he hasn't like any of their recent output. Maybe it's juste, but if I stopped like a band's music after a certain amount of years there would be little to inspire me to check it out let alone review it.

that "pedophiles" line is extremely questionable, that's true lol, but let's remember this is the same band that created iconic lines such as

- B-M-Excellent tits

- sex, drugs and violence - english, math and science

- she is so wet and reckless

- what the fuck does OK stand for

- looking for a cause but all i got was santa clause

- we'll shoot the moon into the sun

billie joe has shown time and time that he can write amazing, thoughtful and heartfell lyrics. but when he fucks up he kinda fucks up hard and either he writes nonsense or most people don't understand what he's trying to say.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

That's my point. I'm not sure why he keeps reviewing them if he hasn't like any of their recent output. Maybe it's juste, but if I stopped like a band's music after a certain amount of years there would be little to inspire me to check it out let alone review it.

It's his job to review music , no matter who the artist is or if he likes them or not

3 hours ago, Saviour said:

Words. 

The Words I Might Have Ate. 

Wouldn't recommend. Not very tasty, and little to no nutritional value. 

Like a Rat Does Cheese! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, þjáningu said:

It's his job to review music , no matter who the artist is or if he doesn't like them or not.

I don't agree. I'm not going to pick up an album by artist I already know I don't like and have no interest in and review it. That's at least how I approach writing reviews. That's like if I decided to review a Migos album and said it was bad just because I don't like Migos in the first place. I'd rather someone else who actually knows the band, knows their catalog, and is interested in their music talk about it as @Christian's Inferno! Is saying. I agree that I'd rather check out reviews from people who at least like the artist yet are not afraid to criticize them. I'm not saying they have to love everything they put out. Rather they have a genuine interest in the band which is why they gave the album, song, whatever a spin.

2 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

He doesn't have a boss. He can review whatever he wants. Why does he review artists he doesn't get any enjoyment out of? I don't understand why you'd choose to do that?

Thank you! This is all I'm trying to express. It feels like a waste of everyone's time that he continues to seek out things he doesn't enjoy.

• Like 3

Just now, Christian's Inferno! said:

He doesn't have a boss. He can review whatever he wants. Why does he review artists he doesn't get any enjoyment out of? I don't understand why you'd choose to do that?

It can be fun to pick apart an album you don't like.  It gets engagement, but the kind where a whole fanbase comes after you.    I gave Idles a score of zero on their last album and oh my goodness.  I feared for my life, 😄      At least with Green Day, he's trying to find positives.  He said it's a step away from Father of All so that's good.  He's been kinder to modern Weezer than modern Green Day, so there's a chance he could come around to like them again.

7 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Content ?

Views ?

Gets a kick out of it ? 

Ask him why he does it, maybe he will tell you 

27 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't care about fantano's opinions on Green Day. He can have whatever opinions he wants, that's fine. What I do have an issue with is more how everyone who watches fantano responds to that. When he gave FOAM a 0/10, I did not think that score was justified but at the end of the day, it's his opinion. But I think him giving the album a 0/10 had a huge effect on everyone who listened to that review and then went to listen to the album. Idk if anyone who watched the review and then went to listen to FOAMF genuinely went into the album with any intentions other than wanting to hate it because Fantano did. I don't even like FOAMF but that's what I think. As a result, if you go on metacritic, albumoftheyear.org etc and look at FOAMF user scores, they will be so damn low. Like ridiculously lower than you'd expect. Especially on albumoftheyear.org which seems more like the r/iamsosmart version of Metacritic. And I think that's mostly down to fantano's review. There are other reviewers who are like fantano but don't have as much of an influence as fantano who's probably the most subscribed to music critic on YouTube

I have more respect for reviewers who mostly review bands who they at least somewhat like. They may not like everything that the band releases but they have a level of respect for the artists they cover and don't go into the albums with negativity. Spectrum Pulse, Rocked, Crash Thompson, even ARTV may not love everything the band has done since AI or 21CB but they treat the albums and band with a level of respect, they acknowledge the good parts of bad albums. I just don't see why you'd continue to even bother with Green Day if you haven't liked anything they've done since the 90's

Love all those guys you mention here!  Rock Colloseum is the greatest thing ever on youtube and Green Day always comes up.  

4 minutes ago, þjáningu said:

Content ?

Views ?

Gets a kick out of it ? 

Ask him why he does it, maybe he will tell you 

Okay, but now you changed your point. It's not his job to review bands he doesn't care for, it's his choice.

10 minutes ago, Saviour said:

Am I missing something? Why do people care so much what seemingly endless amounts of random YouTubers say about the songs? 

Opinions are like arseholes and all that... 

No one seems to care about the randos reviewing the song, but Fantano's case is different because he has huge influence and he just hates Green Day for some reason, will always listen to them with negativity as his default position.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, devilskind92 said:

Okay, but now you changed your point. It's not his job to review bands he doesn't care for, it's his choice.

No one seems to care about the randos reviewing the song, but Fantano's case is different because he has huge influence and he just hates Green Day for some reason, will always listen to them with negativity as his default position.

I haven't changed my point , it his job to get views on YouTube so he can get paid. The way he does that is that he reviews music across the music spectrum that is his choice to do that type of stuff. I never said he was forced to listen to artist he doesn't like , that's just what he does. 

2 minutes ago, þjáningu said:

I haven't changed my point , it his job to get views on YouTube so he can get paid. The way he does that is that he reviews music across the music spectrum that is his choice to do that type of stuff. I never said he was forced to listen to artist he doesn't like , that's just what he does. 

Yes, and we're being critical of that choice. 

• Like 2