New single - The American Dream Is Killing Me - Out Now!

HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN

1 minute ago, That Dude said:

I wish we could see the DISLIKES on YouTube.  59,000 likes on a million views.   Interesting.  

There are extensions you can install on your web browser to see them. The music video has 1.9k dislikes

• Like 2
  • Surprised 1

I really like the song, but for some reason it doesn’t grab me in the way something like Know Your Enemy did it first. The new song is a lot better than that song, but for whatever reason just is going to have a hard time taking off, I think. People don’t want to listen to anything that might be deemed negative in anyway. Plus the overall dislike of the last album probably doesn’t make a more casual listener exactly excited for a new song from them

4 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

There are extensions you can install on your web browser to see them. The music video has 1.9k dislikes

With the video itself being filled with zombie violence, it's possible many of the dislikes are because of visuals rather than the music.  People that aren't desensitized like us, they might be scared or disgusted by it.   I know grown adults who can't watch even PG violence without getting extremely upset.     60,000 likes and 2,000 dislikes is actually pretty darn great.  and really the like and dislike buttons are kind of like credit.   bad credit is better than no credit.   It's engagement.   I'll say 800 of those dislikes are because people are scared of the zombies.   200 are people that never liked Green Day but it got recommended to them anyway.  And 1000 are whiney, "Kerplunk is the only good album, I liked them before they sold out" people who come to say that with every release.    Or some variation of  "I liked Dookie and American Idiot, but everything else they've done is kind of stupid."

I'm literally streaming it on a never ending loop with every drive I take, and I'm driving a LOT these days.   My son, girlfriend and job are all in different cities than I am, and I think I'm cracking up.  Am I just paranoid or am I just stone?    I went to shrink analysis my brink  / he's says that's totally normal don't worrry   / I'd never go to a whore / cause that I can't afford  / I need to quite my whining cause I'm off topic / sometimes I give myself the creeps / sometimes my mind plays tricks on me / it all keeps adding /  I thinking I'm cracking / 

Oh crap, I gotta go listen to THIS song again.    Basketcase is about to crack a billion and guess what?   American Dream has kicked up into hyperdrive.  It'll be there soon.  

• Like 2

Imagine seeing Green Day live and this happens:   "Cracked up into the wild.....EVERYBODY SING!!!!!!!!!!!!!"   

I actually looked up the term "cracked up into the wild" but it's not really anything.   Ended up reading about the Into The Wild book and movie and now I'm streaming the song again and boozing it up real good.   

Ask me anything, I'm drunk!   

Sometimes I get asked if I'm on the spectrum, and no.  To my knowledge I am not.   I'm just an anxious, nervous artistic dude who enjoys the complicated thing in life.    

32 minutes ago, Lenny said:

American food is killing me

I wish Green Day would make a concept album about food

Have they mentioned food in lyrics before?  I can't think of any instances of this.   Hmm.  

15 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Have they mentioned food in lyrics before?  I can't think of any instances of this.   Hmm.  

The closest I can think of is “Let them eat poison and it tastes like lemonade”

• Like 2

The more I hear this song the more I feel like it is genius.

A really clever blend of AI song elements and classic Green Day power chords. Plus lots of clarity in the production quality.

Not my favorite of all time but really great song to come back with.

I kind of love it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

Oh my gosh, I'm crying laughing!!! Everybody hates the tiktok line!!!! 

So hilarious!

It's really understandable, I can see what BJA was going for with what he said but I just think the sentiment falls flat with the way it's written. It could be better, for sure, but the rest of the song is still pretty good!

3 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I still don’t get the hate for the TikTok line. Sure, it’s not subtle, but he’s not singing it from his perspective but from a conservative one. Also, TikTok is a massive cultural phenomenon that is here to stay. It’s not just going to go away like MySpace or something like that. And even if you dislike the line, that doesn’t make the song bad. Turning from “I like this“ to “this is terrible“ just because of one line of lyrics is honestly kind of immature.

As true as this all is, it’s not exactly profound to say “TikTok = bad” and comes across a little boomer-y, which whether we all like it or not, BJA tends to be on some things from time to time. My dude barely knows how to work social media :lol:

I like the song, I think it rocks, but I can concede that that line is a bit corny

2 hours ago, Red said:

Well there's Pop Rocks. I am pretty sure he was talking about the candy, right?

He's trying so hard to hate it that it's actually cringe... I do wonder what he actually considers to be "good" music though.

Also is it really that difficult to think maybe Billie is not referring to himself or his band when saying "we" in some of his songs, but rather what could be a generalization of Americans or even humanity as a whole?

Fantano's favorite band is Death Grips and he thinks they are perfection.  He had one gripe about their live show but thinks it was purposefully done as a statement because they are so punk rock or something.  😄 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, That Dude said:

Words. 

The Words I Might Have Ate. 

Wouldn't recommend. Not very tasty, and little to no nutritional value. 

• Like 3