New single - The American Dream Is Killing Me - Out Now!

HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN

Looks like the YouTube views could hit the 1M mark by tonight/tomorrow morning. I noticed it was going up around 10k an hour last night. It’s currently 3.45 in the afternoon here in the UK - views are just over 950.7K 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Tbf the OP wasn’t saying that Billie Eilish vanished without a trace, it was the celeb crush that BJ had on her that did. We thought they were going to do a collab together or something because suddenly he was going to her shows, taking photos with her backstage, doing interviews and a RS photoshoot together, exchanging gifts, talking her up to Howard Stern, etc. He was practically ready to adopt her and the relationship seemed to vanish along with FOAM. I agree there were a lot of weird pop interactions during that period that didn’t take place before or since. It’s like they played in the popstar kiddie pool for a year.

Quoting this because you reminded me of the line "The brutality of reality is the freedom that keeps me from dreaming" 💚 Damn, that’s a really poetic way of saying “The American dream is killing me”. 21CB lyrics are 🤌😘

Billie Eilish gets a lot of hate but I’ve personally backed her and Post Malone in recent conversations. I think they’re both incredibly talented in their own ways and I think when it comes down to it they are also both good people. 

I have my issues with them sonically but who the fuck am I? They don’t give a fuck what I want. I know they both have the ability to rock it out but the industry doesn’t pay dividends there anymore and also, who knows what type of contract they have?

Kids listen up, before you sign that major label deal READ the contract first (preferably at dinner when they take you out for a free meal). If you’re hungry read it REAL SLOW like Rancid and make it a series of meals.

ok joking aside, kids pool your money together and get recording stuff and pull a diy scenario. If the deals you’re signing are for recording know that you can easily do this yourself now. If you’re in the college age go check out your local college’s program for music engineering and intern at a studio. 

My cousin recently did all of this and he’s making the music he wants to make with no terms held over his head. Best part is one of the biggest studios here loved him as an intern so he’s got no shortage of resources without the compromise of being on a major.

24 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Billie Eilish gets a lot of hate but I’ve personally backed her and Post Malone in recent conversations. I think they’re both incredibly talented in their own ways and I think when it comes down to it they are also both good people. 

Post Malone is awesome. He was on vacation in my home town like 4 years ago, before he moved out to Utah, and he was amazing to everyone he ran into. He even bought all the high school kids lunch at the local cafe when he was there. Super cool guy.

2 minutes ago, Cunt said:

Post Malone is awesome. He was on vacation in my home town like 4 years ago, before he moved out to Utah, and he was amazing to everyone he ran into. He even bought all the high school kids lunch at the local cafe when he was there. Super cool guy.

Yeah and it’s not surprising to hear this story. I think I’d personally hang out with him and have a solid time. It’s hard for me to say that about other pop stars.

Knowing that both Billie and Postie love rock I want to hear them go do it. I think if this year and next look like how it currently does it could be a possibility. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Yeah and it’s not surprising to hear this story. I think I’d personally hang out with him and have a solid time. It’s hard for me to say that about other pop stars.

Knowing that both Billie and Postie love rock I want to hear them go do it. I think if this year and next look like how it currently does it could be a possibility. 

I’m a fan of Billie Eilish I love the sound of her voice. I was actually really hoping the two Billies would have done a musical collab I’m curious to know what that would sound like. Her dreamy vocal, their emo lyrics and his guitars? Punk as fuck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

FOAM felt like a lot of incomplete songs. Lots of “that’s good enough” songwriting. The good thing about ‘Saviors’ so far is that all the songs sound fully formed.

Tbf, they put a bunch of hand claps and sound effects in there. That makes it more complete... right? Right?

7 hours ago, GuitarPunk94 said:

no

and there is simply one reason for it imo

bpm

if TADIKM would be atleast a bit faster, it would be an absolute banger

Interesting take but it sounds perfect to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Tbf the OP wasn’t saying that Billie Eilish vanished without a trace, it was the celeb crush that BJ had on her that did. We thought they were going to do a collab together or something because suddenly he was going to her shows, taking photos with her backstage, doing interviews and a RS photoshoot together, exchanging gifts, talking her up to Howard Stern, etc. He was practically ready to adopt her and the relationship seemed to vanish along with FOAM.

I misunderstood the original post, but then I don’t understand how we can assume his opinion over Billie Eilish or Arianna Grande changed since then. They were both touring and promoting their music at that point, and Billie Eilish was THE act everyone was talking about back then. It seems all quite normal stuff to say and do at that point, especially if asked in an interview about her. And if I recall correctly it all stemmed from a fun exchange on Instagram. I don’t see how his appreciation for Billie Eilish can be brought up as an example of the bad FOAM promotion, that’s my point. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN said:

I misunderstood the original post, but then I don’t understand how we can assume his opinion over Billie Eilish or Arianna Grande changed since then. They were both touring and promoting their music at that point, and Billie Eilish was THE act everyone was talking about back then. It seems all quite normal stuff to say and do at that point, especially if asked in an interview about her. And if I recall correctly it all stemmed from a fun exchange on Instagram. I don’t see how his appreciation for Billie Eilish can be brought up as an example of the bad FOAM promotion, that’s my point. 

It wasn’t necessarily part of the promotion, I think the connection being drawn is that the album seemed like a try hard effort to get mainstream attention and these interactions with pop stars overlapped that time. It was something they never really seemed to do before and haven’t done since

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Tbf, they put a bunch of hand claps and sound effects in there. That makes it more complete... right? Right?

She’s gonna clap her hands like it’s 1981

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It wasn’t necessarily part of the promotion, I think the connection being drawn is that the album seemed like a try hard effort to get mainstream attention and these interactions with pop stars overlapped that time. It was something they never really seemed to do before and haven’t done since

I mean, he made a record with Norah Jones, showed appreciation for Lady Gaga and went to her concerts (and vice versa), played on stage with Elvis Costello, the whole band cooked with Snoop Dog on TV and played at his NYE show, they recorded a song with U2 and Iggy Pop, etc. etc. It was not the first time Billie or the band showed appreciation, collaborated, or did interviews with other pop artists. The fuzz here seems to be cause we are talking about Billie Eilish, which is particularly strange since we are talking about an artist that is also a huge fan of the band. 

• Like 1

With the disappearance of music channels and good radio stations here, I'm not lucky enough to hear it anywhere. It sucks. I'd have no idea who GD is if I'd depend on this new "media" that only shows what they want us to see. And yeah, I know maybe they're not that huge worldwide, but wtf it's been like this for years; their music is out there but it doesn't reach people. It wasn't like that in other eras :( 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I prefer Bang Bang to TADIKM. In fact there's a few songs from the post-21CB era that I would put above TADIKM. Despite the issues with production and lyrics, songs like Bang Bang, Let Yourself Go, Brutal Love and Stray Heart are probably songs I see myself returning to more often than TADIKM.

100% agree. Although, I have listened to TADIKM a lot now (by a lot I mean enough for someone who's very likely dyslexic to memorize and sing with every word kind of a lot) and it's definitely a grower, at least it was for me. Bang Bang was just not only that Green Day dopamine hit I desperately needed after the trilogy, but it was and still is at least in my opinion one of the best singles they have ever put out. It deserves to be up there next to Jesus of Suburbia as a permanent setlist song. I don't think I can say that for TADIKM but I do still love it.

Bang Bang is easily the best song on RevRad

Ahem... Forever now. :P

The thing is, LMNB is a completely different type of song from TADIKM and even OEB and 1981 (even though we haven't heard the album versions of these tracks) seem like different enough tracks too. So Saviors could easily be the type of album that switches things up. Rather than it just being more 21CB/AI type songs, it's likely that there will be a few 21CB/AI type political tracks, maybe some Nimrod in there, maybe a bit of the trilogy or RevRad or FOAMF even in there. And maybe there will be songs in there that are completely new for the band. 

I think you're on the money here. I haven't heard LMNB in full yet, but I did accidently hear that snippet they posted the other day and it instantly gave me Nimrod vibes but with the same kind of production as TADIKM. I couldn't think of exactly which song at the time it reminded me so much of, but I went through Nimrod again and I think it shares quite a bit of DNA with Uptight (not so much melodically, but in the way the harmonies are kind of in the same style) as well as a dash of Shenanigans.

OEB gave me American Idiot B Side vibes, however I do think the final song will sound quite different from the leak, as I don't think Rob Cavallo or Chris Lord-Alge (who I am pretty sure is also involved with Saviours) were involved with that version.
TADIKM gives me 21cb vibes and 1981 gave me Insomniac crossed with Warning vibes. So already that's 4 or 5 unique flavours of Green Day that I have heard in these 4 different tracks, and there are still so many to go.

The album announcement even confirms as much with the line "Saviors is an invitation into Green Day’s brain, their collective spirit as a band, and an understanding of friendship, culture and legacy of the last 30 plus years." It seems like nothing in the band's past is off limits here and this could very well be the most diverse Green Day album we've ever had. Throw in the levels of production of TADIKM for every song and this could also potentially be an album that I rank higher than Revrad (which is my 3rd favourite Green Day record by the way)

Before we talk about how much safer this album appears to be compared to FOAMF, how about we wait until we actually have the full album? We can't judge TADIKM fairly without the context of the full album. 21CB is my favourite album but I wouldn't like people to judge it just based on KYE, a song that I actually like, but 1) isn't representative of the album as a whole and 2) works better in the context of the full album due to how different the other tracks are, how KYE's double meaning gets revealed in RHS etc.

Amen.

I don't like the argument that Green Day should just throw their stuff onto side projects if they're not "Green Day" sounding enough. Stop Drop & Roll IS a green day album. It should be a Green Day album at least. I understand why they wanted to release it as a side project at the time (i.e didn't want it to be the AI follow up, it was a new sound for them) but Billie said a few years ago that he wishes he released it under Green Day and I agree. MM2020 Pt II was a different thing, that's part of an already existing side project so it makes sense to release a more new wave sounding album under The Network. And The Longshot is exclusively for stuff that Billie writes and records on his own. If Tré and Mike were involved with all that stuff, it would make perfect sense to release that under the Green Day label. I'm totally fine with Green Day alternating between what's more traditionally sounding Green Day stuff and stuff that's more like Foxboro/Longshot, FOAMF type experiments. All releasing stuff under side projects does is ensure that few people actually hear the songs. And the band want people to hear these albums. Look at The Network albums and Stop Drop & Roll. Look how few views these songs have on youtube, on spotify etc. Why would the band decide to do that with FOAMF or with any other album they want people to hear?

SD&R is definitely the most "Green Day" of the two major side projects and the rawness of it fits almost perfectly with the band's overall style, but I disagree that it should have been the follow up to American Idiot. Don't get me wrong it's a great album, but it was literally conceived as a joke while the band were drunk and the songs while fun, just aren't really worthy of being a true follow up to AI in my honest opinion.

21st Century Breakdown on the other hand, was exactly what I'd hoped for in a true follow-up. The only real downside to SD&R being a side project was it obviously wasn't very popular on the radio, and there are probably fans out there who still don't even know it exists. I was there for the initial FBHT hype and loved and still love the album for what it was and is but I would have been disappointed with it if it were a true Green Day album.

By keeping them separate, we know for sure that the band aren't making those albums the "standard" for what to expect under the Green Day name, we get to put Green Day aside and enjoy the projects fully for what they are, which are deviations from what we should expect and the only people who don't really "win" are those that don't discover it, but that issue gets solved if their side projects were to continue "taking over" the band's social media pages like The Network did for MM2020II.

Imagine how FOAM would have went down if the band was clear from the get go that it was a side project. I would be willing to put money on it going a lot better than it did.

Say what you want about a track like Nightlife, at least the band really wanted to try and make a completely unique song. It didn't work in its entirety but I really like the bassline, I don't even hate Billie's vocals here. I think it works considering the type of song it is.

The only thing I don't really like about Nightlife is pretty much everything to do with the vocals and lyrics. Take those things away and it ends up being a pretty good song with no cringe whatsoever. I think if it was released as an instrumental, much like LRI or Espionage, it would have been appreciated a lot more.

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, paulchris92 said:

Ready 1M views

https://imgur.com/oDTYRdK

And the live version at 57k.  I’m always surprised when new versions are added so quickly as this destructs from the number for the single.  Still hoping for a behind the scenes video though.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jengd said:

And the live version at 57k.  I’m always surprised when new versions are added so quickly as this destructs from the number for the single.  Still hoping for a behind the scenes video though.  

I think it’s actually the opposite. Helps boost numbers. Like how Lil Nas released like 1,000 versions of Old Town Road to drive up numbers.

46 minutes ago, Montclare said:

And... just hit a million views.

It had 999k when I checked like half an hour or so ago and I watched, then it marked 1M.

We did it! :dance:  Let's go for 2 and 3M

• Like 1