New single - The American Dream Is Killing Me - Out Now!

HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN

16 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

She was not well

was she not well

I thought she was a republican… or should I not say that? 😉

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Hey man why did you buy all the pink galaxy vinyls? Will you review each one on youtube separately? 

She was not well

was she not well

I WANTED the pink galaxy because it looks like BRAINS.   But alas, it was some other human.    I'm looking at the different version and see what I want to do.  

9 minutes ago, That Dude said:

I WANTED the pink galaxy because it looks like BRAINS.   But alas, it was some other human.    I'm looking at the different version and see what I want to do.  

I like the pink splatter one. I think you’re more of a cassette guy personally. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

I like the pink splatter one. I think you’re more of a cassette guy personally. 

I'll see if they can make me pink galaxy cassette with some custom lettering on it.   That would actually be cool.   DUDE edition of Saviors, with all new songs titles for the same songs! 

I know we’re all big Green Day fans here, but I don’t understand the love for this single. It sounds completely toothless as a piece of social commentary and recycled as a piece of music. This could have been on 21CB, which was a solid album, but the American Idiot / 21CB Era is damn near 15 years gone. 

Everyone shit all over FOAM but at least they played with some new sounds and moved in a different direction. I’d rather they keep doing that than just freeze in their glory days to keep people complacent. 

Anyway, I’m sure there are a few cool songs on the album, I’m just not into the whole “same old shit” vibes from songs like this. Glad so many of you are enjoying it, though. 

5 minutes ago, communitykid said:

I know we’re all big Green Day fans here, but I don’t understand the love for this single. It sounds completely toothless as a piece of social commentary and recycled as a piece of music. This could have been on 21CB, which was a solid album, but the American Idiot / 21CB Era is damn near 15 years gone. 

Everyone shit all over FOAM but at least they played with some new sounds and moved in a different direction. I’d rather they keep doing that than just freeze in their glory days to keep people complacent. 

Anyway, I’m sure there are a few cool songs on the album, I’m just not into the whole “same old shit” vibes from songs like this. Glad so many of you are enjoying it, though. 

I Agree. This forum however loves the Same old shit vibes.

23 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

You were literally loving the song a few days ago.

I can like it, but I have always said on this forum this fucking band needs to take more risks and change it up like FOAM. I Always said I have loved FOAM for being different then what Green Day is suppose to do. I can enjoy this ,but also note its the same old shit. Green Day is playing it 110 percent safe.

and not just be like " That is what Foxboro Hot Tubs is for. "I do not want to hear that excuse. Do it under the Green Day name. 

15 minutes ago, devilskind92 said:

To each their own, I guess. I liked FOAM just fine, had fun with it, but this single is Green Day for me. Powerful sound, great lyrics (which imo are not empty social commentary at all, quite the contrary), and no fear of sticking to what they're good at. Those are the main reasons RevRad was so well received: it was a return to form, just like this. But this is even better, even bolder.

Guys, they're a punk rock/pop punk band. There's only so much they can do before they start sounding like something else entirely. And we don't want something else, we want Green Day. They have side projects for different sounds, we can always enjoy those on the side too.

At the end of the day, you can't please everyone. I'm just glad I'm very, very, very pleased this time around lol

Side projects for different sounds is a terrible excuse for why they can't do it under the Green Day name.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, devilskind92 said:

To each their own, I guess. I liked FOAM just fine, had fun with it, but this single is Green Day for me. Powerful sound, great lyrics (which imo are not empty social commentary at all, quite the contrary), and no fear of sticking to what they're good at. Those are the main reasons RevRad was so well received: it was a return to form, just like this. But this is even better, even bolder.

Guys, they're a punk rock/pop punk band. There's only so much they can do before they start sounding like something else entirely. And we don't want something else, we want Green Day. They have side projects for different sounds, we can always enjoy those on the side too.

At the end of the day, you can't please everyone. I'm just glad I'm very, very, very pleased this time around lol

I can appreciate your perspective and you’re very much in the majority, but for me it’s not about what is and isn’t ’Green Day’. Green Day doesn’t need to exist in a time capsule labeled “2008”, they’ve always been capable of growth. “Bulldoze your family home, now it’s a condo!” is not insightful or interesting. It’s played out. It’s generic. Pave paradise to put up a parking lot, right? “Zieg heil to the president gas man” was powerful and fresh at the time. “Is the cop or am I the one who’s really dangerous?” at least had a touch of insight. Hell, “There’s no shame. I’ll take it if it bleeds. The famous to the infamous is what I want to be.” is a fresh, provocative lyric just a few years old now that was specific commentary on a subject as opposed to what’s in my opinion a series of generalized echo-chamber one-liners.

Again, no disrespect intended, I’m glad everyone’s enjoying it. My expectations for new Green Day are obviously at odds with the rest of the fanbase.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, communitykid said:

“Bulldoze your family home, now it’s a condo!” is not insightful or interesting. It’s played out. It’s generic.

I like this line.  And it can be taken in more than one way, so I wouldn't call it generic.  Both in the press and at work, I hear various takes on this.  One being gentrification (which is how I suppose Billie meant it); a family lives in a home for many years, has to sell due to rising taxes, and the place gets bulldozed and built into expensive condos.  But then there are people who prefer the condos since there are more places for people to live, hypothetically making home ownership more possible (although in my experience, the prices tend to be about par with an actual SFH).  You also come into contact with people who live in SFHs who are anti-condo, because they don't want "poor people" living by them.  So I think it's a line that can make people think.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Saviour said:

It’s all totally subjective and that’s cool.

The band have always taken sidesteps in different directions with every album. It’s important not to stagnate.

FOAMF wasn’t a side step. It was a misstep. Like on-the-Wikipedia-page-for-albums-considered-the-worst-ever, misstep. It’s stopped being subjectively bad, and crossed over into being objectively bad.

It feels like they needed to get that out of their system, and I’m actually glad to be in musically safer territory. I’m all for rehashing old ideas if it means we don’t get another FOAMF.

Haysus Krimbus has spoken.

4 hours ago, That Dude said:

I'll see if they can make me pink galaxy cassette with some custom lettering on it.   That would actually be cool.   DUDE edition of Saviors, with all new songs titles for the same songs! 

Rumour is that the cassette is actually C&V

56 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

The insane amount of hate that FOAM gets boggles my mind. To the point where it feels like I'm not listening to the same album everyone else is. It's not their best, and it's a slight deviation from their normal sound, but some of the reactions would lead you to believe it's a hyperpop record or something.

They should have made a vaporwave album and instead of playing it live it could have been their intro before going on stage

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

Yes, the marketing for FOAM was super cringe, but I have no idea where you're getting the idea that they were uninspired and not proud of it. In interviews leading up to the release it was clear that they were very proud of it, and it seemed to be a very inspired recording session. There was no tour promoting FOAM. Hella Mega didn't happen until 1.5 years after its release and at that point the record was already unpopular among the general audience and hardcore fans, so they decided to pivot. As much of a shame as that is to me, it says nothing about how inspired or proud they were.

If they were proud of it then the least they could have done for it was give it it's own album art. Instead we got American Idiot but with random shit stuck all over it.

• Like 2