New single - The American Dream Is Killing Me - Out Now!

HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN

17 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Well unlike a lot of y'all I was a good egg and waited for the official release to give the song a proper listen in full and I'm glad I did. I did peep the lyrics from the secret show and listen to the teasers on the website so I wasn't completely shocked but I wasn't disappointed either. The instruments all have weight and presence, the lyrics have a deeper meaning to be scrutinized, and the arrangement is interesting (I love how effortlessly the strings integrate into the rest of the song). There's clearly an element of tongue in cheek writing going on with lines like "Goddamn I am so grateful, forever faithful to... / Cracked up into the wild, we're pedophiles for the American Dream is killing me" highlighting the absurdity of America being in love with the concept of The American DreamTM that is slowly killing us.

Also of note is that I think this is the band's first Dolby Atmos release and on my surround system it sounds great! The throat clear in the bridge came right through the center channel and gave me a bit of a jump. Bonus points for that. 

Overall I think it's a great way to kick off the new era. This is how it's done.

I was just thinking about Dolby Atmos, I was hoping this album would be mixed in it. Going to fire up this bad boy on my Sonos system!

29 minutes ago, Ross_19 said:

Love the song, it's so clear they're working with Rob again. This sounds like Green Day. Big shout out to Billie's vocals, he's sounding mighty fine!

Tre’a drumming is on point too. 

• Like 3

Hot damn. Definitely their best lead single since AI. Very excited for the rest of the album. I got chills watching the video when Billie plays the solo on the car 🫠

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, .Holly said:

Hot damn. Definitely their best lead single since AI. Very excited for the rest of the album. I got chills watching the video when Billie plays the solo on the car 🫠

In my head I'm comparing it to Bang Bang which is a fantastic song, I think it'll take time for me to know if I prefer this or not. They're very different songs though I suppose, Bang Bang has that more punk energy while this is more radio friendly, stadium rock Green Day. I do really like Father of All but Bang Bang and this track definitely are better in terms of what I want from a Green Day song

• Like 2

1 minute ago, purplebenny said:

The guitar soli

what song is it VERY similar to?

Its wrecking my head 

It reminds me a bit of the guitar solos from Rev Rad and Say Goodbye 

• Like 2

Fuckk i cant get over how this music video is so rad. The boys look so fucking good, the song sounds so fucking good. 

4 minutes ago, Ross_19 said:

In my head I'm comparing it to Bang Bang which is a fantastic song, I think it'll take time for me to know if I prefer this or not. They're very different songs though I suppose, Bang Bang has that more punk energy while this is more radio friendly, stadium rock Green Day. I do really like Father of All but Bang Bang and this track definitely are better in terms of what I want from a Green Day song

bang bang, 21st century breakdown is a killer too

8 minutes ago, purplebenny said:

The guitar soli

Its wrecking my head 

that part and the soft melody is taken from basket case

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Macys said:

Fuckk i cant get over how this music video is so rad. The boys look so fucking good, the song sounds so fucking good. 

bang bang, 21st century breakdown is a killer too

that part and the soft melody is taken from basket case

THANK YOU YOU ABSOLUTE ANGEL

It had been driving me insane

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don't remember where I read this but I think it said he hasn't used it in the recording studio since Dookie. It's strictly a touring guitar now.

He definitely used Blue on insomniac and nimrod, there were interviews with the engineers that confirmed it. On insomniac Blue is in one speaker and then the other speaker's part was recorded with a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Nimrod was a variety of different guitars, I'm not exactly sure which songs Billie used it on but it was definitely used. Nimrod is the last album we have confirmation for though 

29 minutes ago, purplebenny said:

The guitar soli

Its wrecking my head 

To me it sounds a lot like "The Kids are Alright" , by The Who

Hot damn! I threw this on while getting ready for work this morning. I’m so pumped for the album now, what a good start.

and of course that part is basket case! I couldn’t place why it sounded so familiar

4 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Ok so yes now that the cat is FINALLY out of the bag, I was fortunate enough to be an extra in the video and the experience was f**king surreal and incredible all at once. (I don't appear to be readily visible in the video but I need to do a more thorough freeze framing to be sure 😅).

A few personal highlights:

-Arriving at the studio and seeing Tre right away chatting it up with someone in full zombie garb was an amazing preview of things to come

-Many of us were in line for makeup as Billie, Mike, and Tre were just getting done with theirs (yes as zombies), and we gave a cheer/round of applause to the boys as they headed back to their dressing room. They seemed appreciative about the reception!

-Arriving on set after a couple of hours of being in holding/makeup, I was blown away by the scale of everything. We were all gathered in front of the band's stage waiting for shooting to start, when they started playing TADIKM for the first (of many) times over the loudspeakers. It took me about 5 seconds after the chorus hit to realize "oh yes our boys are definitely back" and eventually many fans/extras were singing it in between takes. I also thought (and still think) this should be the tour opener as it fires up a crowd as good as anything.

So yeah, it was a super fun experience and really felt like I was in a dream being in this zombie world with Green Day playing a brand new song on stage just in front of us over and over (for those who asked, no other songs were played). And the craft services/catering provided were very nice too!

Cool! What was the direction like? Were you all told exactly how to act like zombies? Did the boys interact with the crowd at all between takes or before/after?

5 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Ok so yes now that the cat is FINALLY out of the bag, I was fortunate enough to be an extra in the video and the experience was f**king surreal and incredible all at once. (I don't appear to be readily visible in the video but I need to do a more thorough freeze framing to be sure 😅).

-Arriving at the studio and seeing Tre right away chatting it up with someone in full zombie garb was an amazing preview of things to come

-Many of us were in line for makeup as Billie, Mike, and Tre were just getting done with theirs (yes as zombies), and we gave a cheer/round of applause to the boys as they headed back to their dressing room. They seemed appreciative about the reception!

-Arriving on set after a couple of hours of being in holding/makeup, I was blown away by the scale of everything. We were all gathered in front of the band's stage waiting for shooting to start, when they started playing TADIKM for the first (of many) times over the loudspeakers. It took me about 5 seconds after the chorus hit to realize "oh yes our boys are definitely back" and eventually many fans/extras were singing it in between takes. I also thought (and still think) this should be the tour opener as it fires up a crowd as good as anything.

So yeah, it was a super fun experience and really felt like I was in a dream being in this zombie world with Green Day playing a brand new song on stage just in front of us over and over (for those who asked, no other songs were played). And the craft services/catering provided were very nice too!

How did you get that gig ?

Sounds excellent btw.

9 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

You are definitely living the dream life, my friend. Thank you for sharing! Sounds like a fucking amazing experience. You gotta let us know if you spot yourself in the video!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Video is #9 on trending on Youtube right now.

Yes sir corvette summer 

55 minutes ago, Als5678ors2 said:

To me it sounds a lot like "The Kids are Alright" , by The Who

https://youtu.be/ElE4tju7NHQ?si=uc_aX3H6T84B7wFc definitely does 

18 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

What an awesome experience love the part when dead billie is on top of the car shredding on his guitar as the zombies surround him 

• Like 3