Dookie 30th Anniversary

Liam

Howdy, this might be the wrong place to ask, but would someone be able to share pics or scans of the Bob Mehr “Making of Dookie” section of the liner notes booklet from the boxset? Trying to use a couple pages for a gear archive project, but the text is unfortunately somewhat unclear in one of the unboxing videos. Thanks in advance!

Mike and His Uke is/are covering the whole Dookie album. The first 3 tracks were already released and there's a little Trivia about the photo on the back of the album artwork (no, not talking about Elmo) during the video to Chump :)
www.youtube.com/@MikeyAndHisUke/videos

• Confused 1
  • Love 1

On 2/19/2024 at 9:51 PM, wutwaff320 said:

Howdy, this might be the wrong place to ask, but would someone be able to share pics or scans of the Bob Mehr “Making of Dookie” section of the liner notes booklet from the boxset? Trying to use a couple pages for a gear archive project, but the text is unfortunately somewhat unclear in one of the unboxing videos. Thanks in advance!

I took some crappy pictures with my phone, if that's okay for you. I'm not really in the mood of scanning the whole booklet since it's in LP size
https://imgur.com/a/JHbR58b

• Like 1
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, Karl Karlson said:

I took some crappy pictures with my phone, if that's okay for you. I'm not really in the mood of scanning the whole booklet since it's in LP size
https://imgur.com/a/JHbR58b

Thank you a ton Karl! These are super great and will totally work! Really appreciate your time and help.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:24 PM, Mega Man said:

So Longview looks amazing, as does Basket Case, but I'm going to be a stickler for a second; they kind of ruined the shots of Billie and Tre with the psychedelic imagery.

I know, these are only a couple seconds MAX, and I wouldn't have picked up on it if Billie's face wasn't used as the thumbnail. But as a home video enthusiast, this exhibits the telltale signs of digital noise reduction, which is a major no-no for preserving film and video. To make something look more "modern," digital processes are used to scrub an image of detail so surfaces look smooth and waxy.

Billie's skin loses all texture, there's no detail on the fish, the color has been altered, and the background is different.

Why was this only done on these very brief shots? Who knows, but it's probably linked to the fact that these are the only shots that use optical special effects. Otherwise, the entirety of the other footage looks to be in stunning true 4K. But for the completists out there, this is your reminder to keep the original SD versions around because these videos will always be subject to change with each new release.

It's not just the effects shots that look off.

Other scenes such as the asylum worker rolling Tre to the drums look oddly washed out and artificially brightened, which makes the film grain that is there way less noticeable. Also, it seems like there's color fringing that wasn't present in the International Supervideos DVD. I don't know if this was due to the original footage being BW, but it's odd nonetheless. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 12:09 AM, Yosuke Hanamura said:

It's not just the effects shots that look off.

Other scenes such as the asylum worker rolling Tre to the drums look oddly washed out and artificially brightened, which makes the film grain that is there way less noticeable. Also, it seems like there's color fringing that wasn't present in the International Supervideos DVD. I don't know if this was due to the original footage being BW, but it's odd nonetheless. 

The color fringing might just be due to the fact that the colorization done then was less precise, perhaps because they might have been working early digital with SD sources, so now that it's been "scaled up" with the 4K film retransfers we're able to distinguish the rough edges with it. That said it does hold up pretty well.

I will note that the top-left/side angle shots of Billie (0:45) in the intro and throughout are noticeably rough / splotchy in terms of the film itself, in the shape that you'd likely see from a film from the 1930s / 40s lol. Just thought that was interesting, the most surprising fact to me is that they kept the original B&W film at all. Here's hoping that Insomniac / American Idiot MV's receive the same treatment!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Came across this statement in Wikipedia that, earlier this year the album Dookie was selected for preservation in the United States National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant, and inform and reflect life in the United States".

The National Recording Preservation Act of 2000 established a national program to guard America's sound recording heritage.

• Like 2