Dookie 30th Anniversary

Liam

2 hours ago, jengd said:

I thought they were meant to have been actually recorded onto cassette tape, making these the “master” or am I missing the point?

The "4-track" demos likely were recorded directly on to cassette tapes, but for the other seven, they were recorded at actual recording studios (Dancing Dog & Art of Ears) so they would have had to have been recorded on high-quality professional recording (master) tape and then transferred to a cassette tape. So either they no longer have the original recording tapes or took the audio from the cassette demo tape on purpose. However, there is also the possibility that since they were demos and the band maybe didn't care, the original master tapes could have been erased and re-used by the studio for other recordings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My boyfriend and I saw a copy of the Dookie anniversary vinyl box set (I course I pined after it, but alas, had to put it back). He picks it up, laughs, and says "Look, I'm the dookie!" and it dawned on me...is that why GD made the cover shiny? HAVE THEY BEEN TROLLING US THE WHOLE TIME?!

• Haha 4

On 10/12/2023 at 12:49 AM, Insomniac186 said:

The "4-track" demos likely were recorded directly on to cassette tapes, but for the other seven, they were recorded at actual recording studios (Dancing Dog & Art of Ears) so they would have had to have been recorded on high-quality professional recording (master) tape and then transferred to a cassette tape. So either they no longer have the original recording tapes or took the audio from the cassette demo tape on purpose. However, there is also the possibility that since they were demos and the band maybe didn't care, the original master tapes could have been erased and re-used by the studio for other recordings.

Why were they called 4-track, is that really a cassette-type (non-consumer)?

I would have thought 4-track would have referred to a multi-track audio tape where different instruments were recorded on different tracks to then be mixed down to a master like the album was. Or maybe they were done “live”, mixing desk straight to tape, which would explain them being in mono.

Everything is mic’d up properly balanced, usually band-made cassette demoes aren’t the best sounding since usually they’re not technical (a-la Nirvana’s “boombox” demos). Is there a section in an included book in the set that sheds light on these demos?

Side note: the proper cassette demos are from a different source than Todd’s?

1 hour ago, fusdechus said:

Why were they called 4-track, is that really a cassette-type (non-consumer)?

I would have thought 4-track would have referred to a multi-track audio tape where different instruments were recorded on different tracks to then be mixed down to a master like the album was. Or maybe they were done “live”, mixing desk straight to tape, which would explain them being in mono.

Everything is mic’d up properly balanced, usually band-made cassette demoes aren’t the best sounding since usually they’re not technical (a-la Nirvana’s “boombox” demos). Is there a section in an included book in the set that sheds light on these demos?

Side note: the proper cassette demos are from a different source than Todd’s?

4 track in those days was recorded on a cassette tape any cassette would do they would have to be played on a 4 track recorder (I’m gonna assume they used a tascam deck as fostex was slightly more expensive)

Nirvana’s boombox was recorded on a boombox that had a built in mic hence why the music is so raw is cause the band played live and the boombox picked up the music with no separation 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I don't know if this is Sacrilegious or not but I mixed together/modified the lyrics from the 4 track demo with the final song, and honestly I think it kinda works... What do you all think?

Do you have the time, to listen to me whine? about nothing and everything all at once.

I really don’t know, where this story begins,

I went and got my self a girl.

Sometimes my heart plays tricks on me.

Sometimes I give myself the creeps.

This wigged out thing called love, it may get kind of rough.

But we don’t really mind, were on our own.

We said this had been, a one trip orbit flight, around each other intoxicating our minds.

They say she’s a whore, and she makes my life a bore.

But I say quit your whining cause its bringing me down.

And we could care less what coming up, sometimes the future doesn’t have much luck.

With this wigged out thing called love; I think I’m cracking up.

Am I just paranoid or am I just stoned?

Love losing control, so we better hold on!

As we walk together in time, leaving all those drunks behind.

This wigged out thing called love, it may get kind of rough, but we don’t really mind,

Were on our own!

I did a tracklist with BEST dookie era live version of each official released song from that tour

All woodstock tracks + 2000 light years away, pasalaqua and knowledge from st. Petesbourg + dominated LOVE salve, Road to acceptance, Christie Road and dissapearing boy from Barcelona

Best Green day record ever with my 'production'🤣

• 2 months later...

Happy 30th Dookie! 

d92ce0da7916740b759e2ed31b44b2d3dd1f8dbb

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Green Day on Facebook

p.s. we have a bunch of fun Dookie collabs dropping, so keep an eye out 👀

• Like 1
  • Surprised 2

I've put this in the Instagram thread but thought I'd put it here too

3364db922ac7c37b7944b8e2d83f31baacf5d9d8

4a52e3cfcbb264d1170435b61f3d28482f426cd2

• Like 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, jengd said:

There are so many articles about Dookie’s 30th it’s crazy!

Dookiemania! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Green Day on Facebook

p.s. we have a bunch of fun Dookie collabs dropping, so keep an eye out 👀

One of them is Rock Roll Repeat I think they also teased a new shirt or merch collab coming

And here it is:

https://rockrollrepeatforever.com/collections/green-day?fbclid=PAAaa2aPQEJTIS4D8w-0XUftFvtsMa5cTObMq7zF-fDsQH6AbJhOXSj-ZCZgY_aem_AbV5_uxrazD_cJwZxx9lH7j38FX-nyCg6KDx7ujQbiZjD2gKgrndOdS45k_pSJ09wkc

• Like 1

I think Dookie is arguably the greatest album of all time. It’s simply perfect and has lost none of its vitality after 30 years and countless spins.

• Like 1

In the booklet of 30 anniversary editions IS written than they also recorded 2000 light years away in those sessions. Hope to have that track some day 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, billy1986 said:

Isn’t it on the Jerky Boys soundtrack?

That's a remix of kerplunk version, not a dookie sessions record

The Jerky Boys Soundtrack CD states: Recorded & Mixed at Art of Ears Studio, CA - Re-Mixed by Rob Cavallo & Jerry Finn

Maybe they re-recorded it during the Dookie sessions as well, but they haven't released it yet, there's only the remix from the soundtrack.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Karl Karlson said:

The Jerky Boys Soundtrack CD states: Recorded & Mixed at Art of Ears Studio, CA - Re-Mixed by Rob Cavallo & Jerry Finn

Maybe they re-recorded it during the Dookie sessions as well, but they haven't released it yet, there's only the remix from the soundtrack.

Knowing they had a Dookie version, this now seems like a confusing move.

Those Dookie outtakes went unmixed because it wasn't in the budget. But by this point, Dookie was a certified hit and Rob and Jerry were back in the studio. So why go with the Kerplunk version? Wouldn't that also have to be licensed from Lookout?

• Love 1