Dookie 30th Anniversary

Liam

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

Nice Green Day reference, right?  I'll take back what I said about Dookie.  

• Surprised 1

7 hours ago, Gonzalo17 said:

That's a Jerry Finn mix from kerplunk versión... in the booklet it say that they trained for dookie in the new studio recording covers (tired of waiting for you) and kerplunk tracks (2000 light, Christie Road and welcome to paradise)

Right, I just finished that part. I'm saying if they're going through the trouble of hiring Jerry Finn to (re)mix a song, they had the option of the old version and the higher fidelity Dookie version. Though that was an interesting tidbit of why they recorded covers and older songs. They were maximizing efficiency by getting acquainted to the new studio setup playing existing compositions and creating potential B-side content. This makes me wonder whose call it was to say Welcome to Paradise was too good to be left as a B-side, making it all the way to a single.

Anyways, there was plenty of facts that were new for me in there. Warner was pushing hard for the Pearl Jam and Nirvana producers. Green Day eventually took them up on Butch Vig for 21CB. I'm guessing the Pearl Jam producer refers to Rick Parashar, who sadly passed away in 2014.

The lost mix of Dookie is intriguing. My curiosity would have me buy it in a heartbeat, but by all accounts it was an inferior product. This early version is also interesting for having completely different takes of Longview and Chump. Though they were deemed unusable because of audible tape hiss, I wonder if that could be fixed digitally.

It's not super surprising, but the compositions for Dookie were pretty much finalized by the time they were in the studio. There was no tinkering or toying with songs when they were on studio time. Which reinforces my opinion that the songs on Dookie would still be the same whether they were on Lookout or Reprise. Production value and promotion were all they needed.

Also, was it ever previously confirmed that Chump was one of the song about Whatsername? I always find that series of songs intriguing (I've only previously known She and Sassafras Roots).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Anybody knows where to get the best price for the vinyl set (colored) in Germany (or Europe)?

Finally ordered the CD Box from the UK GD store on Monday and amazed it turned up today (Wednesday morning). 

Really wish we could see full size copies of all those tiny previously unseen photos. They're so cool

6 hours ago, AnonymWarnerGermany said:

Anybody knows where to get the best price for the vinyl set (colored) in Germany (or Europe)?

There's one on ebay for £143

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404531555670?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2svib_ojsms&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=WxbrlRlGTE-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Still hoping to get a copy one day and that maybe the price comes down? 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AnonymWarnerGermany said:

Anybody knows where to get the best price for the vinyl set (colored) in Germany (or Europe)

Do you guys think, if there is an american idiot anniversary release, that bullet in a bibel will be included?

• Love 1

12 hours ago, AnonymWarnerGermany said:

Do you guys think, if there is an american idiot anniversary release, that bullet in a bibel will be included?

Seems like a logical choice.

If they do a double concert release like Dookie, then Irving Plaza 2004 seems most likely as well.

• Love 1

Do you think that J.A.R. is really from dookie sessions?... now I Belive that maybe was recorded during that time but mixed the following year by Kevin Army, so It was not recorded in insomniac sessions as we always thought

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Seems like a logical choice.

If they do a double concert release like Dookie, then Irving Plaza 2004 seems most likely as well.

Or you could consider Tokyo in 2005 (Remember, there was a live bonus disc for a Special Edition of Japanese AI with part of this show). Also, it would be nice the whole session from AOL (We just had a digital EP with four songs from that session)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Insomniac1984 said:

Or you could consider Tokyo in 2005 (Remember, there was a live bonus disc for a Special Edition of Japanese AI with part of this show). Also, it would be nice the whole session from AOL (We just had a digital EP with four songs from that session)

I would loooove for the Tokyo show to be included! Preferably as a video release, so we can watch it in something that's better than 400x300 resolution! :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pcj said:

An uncut version please

If they include MARIA, JADED, KNOWLEDGE AND HOMECOMING... Yes, please!!

If it's not the case... Irving Plaza 2004, Tokyo 2005 or Warfield in San Francisco, please!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Insomniac1984 said:

If they include MARIA, JADED, KNOWLEDGE AND HOMECOMING... Yes, please!!

And We are the Champions and She! ☺️ 

Still blows my mind how Jaded and She were left off. I could see Homecoming and the two covers being removed ... but She and Jaded are pretty big staples for Green Day setlists. It's always irked me lol. 

• Like 3

I ordered clothes, the vinyl bundle the cd bundle from GD’s website the day the preorder came available and still haven’t gotten it I spent over $500 total and still waiting I reached out the the store and just got a discount for my next purchase…please tell me I’m not the only one still waiting for my preorder? I’m from Scranton PA. Anyone else still waiting for their preorder?? 

• Sad 3

30 minutes ago, jengd said:

So Dookie is back on the Billboard chart at No 50. I imagine that’s pretty good even these days.

According to Amazon UK in 7 days since release sales are 200+. Nice one.

I ordered from eBay this time coz of price. When placed order it said 50 copies available. Now says sold out. Way yer go GD.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 10:48 AM, Gonzalo17 said:

Do you think that J.A.R. is really from dookie sessions?... now I Belive that maybe was recorded during that time but mixed the following year by Kevin Army, so It was not recorded in insomniac sessions as we always thought

JAR has been confirmed to be from the Dookie sessions for a while.

i’m not sure why it was cut from the tracklist, the song fits the album

On 10/5/2023 at 9:58 PM, AnonymWarnerGermany said:

It should be but as others say in its uncut form. I didnt like the interviews being in the “play all”. I want to press play all and watch the concert. 

We need C&V as well to be included in some form. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sheenius said:

JAR has been confirmed to be from the Dookie sessions for a while.

i’m not sure why it was cut from the tracklist, the song fits the album

Many peple says that was recorded during insomniac sessions (at least Angus versión) because is engenireed by Kevin Army, that wasn't on dookie récording and production staff

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that the professionally recorded Dookie demos (labeled the "Casette Demos") were ripped from an actual cassette demo tape and aren't the actual master recordings? They sound nearly identical in audio quality to the versions that Todd posted on YouTube and aren't as clear sounding as if they came from a master. They probably just came from a cassette tape that was in better shape than Todd's copy. I wish they could have used the master recordings but maybe they don't have them anymore, or perhaps they wanted the listener to experience listening to the demo tape as it would have been in the 90s.

• Like 1

I thought they were meant to have been actually recorded onto cassette tape, making these the “master” or am I missing the point?

• Like 1

Fucking A, Green Day webstore...

My bundle arrived today and it was supposed to be the CD and vinyl bundles. They sent me two CD bundles. No vinyl whatsoever. 

UGH

• Sad 2
  • Surprised 1