Dookie 30th Anniversary

Liam

2 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

For those who bought the vinyl, mind sharing whether you got standard or color version and what # you have? I saw someone on Twitter had # 26,000. Seems insane to me they pressed so many!

Could they have had 30,000+ preorders?

• Surprised 1

Wow, I guess it’s hard to judge.  I would have thought this would have a fairly niche market but it’s such an important thing for so many people, who knows.

• Like 2

Dookie and American Idiot are their biggest albums after all. I’m sure Warner don’t want this to go out of print right away. This isn’t like the BBC Sessions or something. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fatherotti said:

Pretty nice to finally have JAR, On the Wagon and Tired of waiting for you, in 192/24. They sound pretty fantastic. 🙂 Cause Superhits is only available in 48khz I believe.

Often wondered about the ending of On the Wagon. It sounds like it was recorded in front of a small audience lol. With the applause and then Billie going “Hold on”. Like they had recorded it from a live session or something and they were going onto another song maybe. 🤔 

It's Billie clapping on a couple different tracks. You can also hear him in the right channel saying "thank you, thank you"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Do my eyes decieve me? Oh my God, this looks like a fresh scan from the original film stock!

I'm seeing that beautiful noise and film grain. This is a proper 4K presentation; no upscaling algorithms or noise reduction turning people into wax sculptures. Wonder how many of their old videos were shot on film.

• Love 2

I'd love to see the photos they've used as background for the videos (don't think we've seen them before) like the one Tre posted yesterday. 

To anyone who's received theirs are they in the accompanying booklet? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I'd love to see the photos they've used as background for the videos (don't think we've seen them before) like the one Tre posted yesterday. 

To anyone who's received theirs are they in the accompanying booklet? 

Yes the booklet is full of photos from the recording sessions.

My question is about the little air freshener. I think mine smells like bubble gum?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

My question is about the little air freshener. I think mine smells like bubble gum?

Nah it's something else. I can't find it but I know what it is!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, aahhhh said:

It's Billie clapping on a couple different tracks. You can also hear him in the right channel saying "thank you, thank you"

Hilarious cause I just heard the "Thank you thank you". 😄 Been listening to this song now since they first released it and only noticed it now with my hifi set up lol. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Could they have had 30,000+ preorders?

No they probably just don’t want it to go out of print for a while/ever.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Do my eyes decieve me? Oh my God, this looks like a fresh scan from the original film stock!

I wish they upgrade all the Dookie videos and all their other videos like this. 

• Like 1

I hung up the air freshener in my home office and today I can smell it when I enter the room. I still can’t identify it, but it’s a sweet, fruity smell like JuicyFruit gum or something. Takes the musty smell out of the space it’s pretty nice. 

• Like 1

Overall I'm very pleased with the set and knew it would be a day-one purchase. The other three discs easily validate re-purchasing Dookie, which it's even a little more convenient now that F.O.D. and All By Myself are separate tracks during the digital age (despite still keeping the huge pause at the end of F.O.D.).

But I wouldn't be an obsessive fan without some nitpicks. The Dookie demos that have forever been bootlegged in reduced quality only partially appear here. Though the ones that were included are like silk to my ears compared to what was available on the internet in the 2000s. While the complete Dookie demos would take up another whole disc, the variety was a little disappointing. The '93 demo for J.A.R. they included is very similar to the final version, whereas the '92 acoustic demo is a very different experience. Prioritizing different versions is what makes the newly unearthed Basket Case demo so exciting. Meanwhile there's entirely different songs that were omitted; Monk's Keys, Don't Wanna Fall in Love, the unknown instrumental. With J.A.R., On The Wagon, and Tired of Waiting For You being widely available, and knowing they have to compromise song selection for space, it's a minor gripe of mine.

But let's end on the positives. I thought I'd have to fall back on the vinyl rip for a digital version of the best recording of Woodstock '94. Nope, it's all here and sounds great. As for the other live show; Barcelona in 1994 was not a hugely talked about show - I think more people were anticipating Jaded in Chicago. But we have a triple threat of a show that sounds great in terms of recording, was performed great (naturally), and has a very unique setlist for the era. This makes it a great Dookie time capsule. Maybe even more so because fans weren't as familiar with it.

To end off, the Dookie versions of Christie Road and 409 more than validate the purchase of the new set.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

So I didn't think this was remastered but I saw someone say on Facebook that it was, can anyone confirm that? Is it listed in the credits? Does the album sound different?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maddie86 said:

So I didn't think this was remastered but I saw someone say on Facebook that it was, can anyone confirm that? Is it listed in the credits? Does the album sound different?

The credits are listed. Dookie, Demos, Outtakes, Woodstock 1994 and Live in Barcelona.

The only statement 'Remastered' appeared just over half way through the Outtakes credits.

Quote: Remastered by Robert Vosgien at Capitol Mastering, Hollywood, CA.

His name is not repeated elsewhere, not is the word Remastered.

1 hour ago, Maddie86 said:

Imho the album did sound different. Having played Dookie first, I had the original studio versions in my head as a kinda benchmark.

Leaving aside the amazing major remixing of Basket Case etc, the demos and outtakes, deffo sounded different. How can I say it, brighter, with variations in notes played, Tre's drumming variations and Mike's backing vocals more intense. And of course the live tracks are awesome.

I can't get enough of listening to variations/remixes of the same song.

For almost 3 & half hours I just couldn't stop jumping up and down across the living room and shaking my head. For me perfection. I'm fucked but happy. Thanks GD. ❤️

• Like 1
  • Love 1

With all the excitement going on in the new album speculation topic, was wondering if anyone has read the booklet. 

What an amazing story of the production and making of Dookie. A detailed account by Rob Cavallo and Rob Mehr respectively.

The hurdles they and the band encountered, along with a few unexpected challenges to resolve. I won't go into detail and spoil it for anyone. In the end it was finished and gave us the iconic album we all know and love.

So if your into knowing just what happens in a recording studio like me, your in for a treat, not forgetting all those photos of the band and in the studio.

• Like 2
  • Love 1