Dookie 30th Anniversary

Liam

On 9/8/2023 at 9:31 AM, pcj said:

True. From producing themselves with Andy Ernst on an indie label, Lookout, with a limited budget; to a major label, Reprise, collaborating with Rob Cavallo for the first time, in a different studio.

Still love that original raw sound from Kerplunk, and just about prefer the first version of "Welcome to Paradise". Sold 10,000 on first day of release. And currently has sold over 4m. Is that a record sales for an indie label?

I think most of these 4 million were generated after and because of the success of Dookie and American Idiot

• Like 1

This thought just popped into my head; I wonder why did they decided not to include the Dookie-era remix of 2,000 Light Years Away? I guess that version will forever languish on the "Jerky Boys" soundtrack... 

3 hours ago, Insomniac186 said:

This thought just popped into my head; I wonder why did they decided not to include the Dookie-era remix of 2,000 Light Years Away? I guess that version will forever languish on the "Jerky Boys" soundtrack... 

I think that, as not being recorded on that session's, is not real a 'dookie' track... is strange that they didn't re-recorded It for that soundtrack instead of remixing it... 

General question related to Dookie anniversary and When it's Time. I read somewhere that when Michael Bayer was producing AI the musical, he actually had to ask Billie for permission to include When it's Time in the show.  Due to the personal nature of it. My question is, how did he know about the existence of that song before the general public did?

To my knowledge very few people knew about it before that year. Granted the song was around since 1992. However not everyone had heard the Gilman bootleg yet and, Heart like hand grenade wouldn't have been seen by a wider audience till years after. I also doubt Billie would also have been like "Oh by the way, I have this song it's really personal, I wrote it ages ago. You want it in the show?". 🙂

26 minutes ago, fatherotti said:

General question related to Dookie anniversary and When it's Time. I read somewhere that when Michael Bayer was producing AI the musical, he actually had to ask Billie for permission to include When it's Time in the show.  Due to the personal nature of it. My question is, how did he know about the existence of that song before the general public did?

To my knowledge very few people knew about it before that year. Granted the song was around since 1992. However not everyone had heard the Gilman bootleg yet and, Heart like hand grenade wouldn't have been seen by a wider audience till years after. I also doubt Billie would also have been like "Oh by the way, I have this song it's really personal, I wrote it ages ago. You want it in the show?". 🙂

Since the American Idiot musical used songs from 21st Century Breakdown as supplemental material to flesh out the story I’d imagine Mayer asked what other songs Billie had that could work in the production. And we know it was being demoed in 94, 97, and most importantly in that context in 2004 so I’m sure he was happy to give it a place to finally see release. But I’m sure Mayer also wanted permission before adding it into the story and rehearsals, ect. It seemed from Broadway Idiot like the two had a good working relationship.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Someone on reddit said that credits are in tidal and the mix of 409 and Christie Road are from Chris Dugan, not Jerry finn

I think they remixed and remastered the tracks as they do sound quite modern. If you listen to it next to Dookie it’s different

1 hour ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Since the American Idiot musical used songs from 21st Century Breakdown as supplemental material to flesh out the story I’d imagine Mayer asked what other songs Billie had that could work in the production. And we know it was being demoed in 94, 97, and most importantly in that context in 2004 so I’m sure he was happy to give it a place to finally see release. But I’m sure Mayer also wanted permission before adding it into the story and rehearsals, ect. It seemed from Broadway Idiot like the two had a good working relationship.  

I think they played it live on the 21cb tour a few times perhaps he heard it that way? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

I think they played it live on the 21cb tour a few times perhaps he heard it that way? 

Billie didn't play it live in 2009 until 2 months before the musical premiered, production would've been well underway for the musical so it would've been added before then

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Liam said:

Billie didn't play it live in 2009 until 2 months before the musical premiered, production would've been well underway for the musical so it would've been added before then

Thats right, I completely forgot about that run in Berkeley being 2009. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 3:01 AM, fatherotti said:

I thought there was a story that he offered it up as a pretty early song which had never seen the light of day, a little like the footage of him at 11, he was clearly all in in the movie.

On 9/9/2023 at 9:56 AM, Flashback said:

I think most of these 4 million were generated after and because of the success of Dookie and American Idiot

I believe Dookie got Kerplunk over the 1 million mark at some point. I believe the rest was from post AI.

Once GD got through the mid 2000s issue with Lookout they were able to improve distribution. I had to wait 6 months to get my 1039 and Kerplunk cds when I was a kid. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, legendary said:

Did he mean he's working on the new album artwork in the last paragraph?

"early next year" and "21st century" is enough to get us going I guess 👀

• Love 1

8 hours ago, legendary said:

Did he mean he's working on the new album artwork in the last paragraph?

It does sound like that given the timing doesn’t it?  

12 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It does sound like that given the timing doesn’t it?  

That's what I thought. I don't know if it means anything, but their manager shared the post and is following him. 

10 hours ago, ThranaM said:

"early next year" and "21st century" is enough to get us going I guess 👀

Nope, don’t think so, think it’s purely relating to the artist.

1 hour ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Yo what the fuck I already received my shipment!! I guess I'm not the only one. It's probably gonna get leaked before friday.

You lucky ....

CD or Vinyl?